New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Administrator
Administrator

Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Just in time for season two of Stranger Things, Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1 is now available. Featuring seamless access to the entire Netflix catalog of UHD 4K in the most stunning picture quality, Xfinity customers on 4K-capable X1 devices can now browse and enjoy Netflix 4K movies and shows.

For Xfinity TV customers with an eligible X1, a Netflix premium subscription and a 4K-compatible TV, accessing Netflix 4K programming will be seamless. Netflix recommends an internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream 4K titles, and Xfinity X1 customers will need the XG1v4 set top box. If a movie or TV show is available in 4K, the default playback will be in 4K.

XG1v4 TV boxes are XFINITY X1 DVRs, and are not available to order online. Please Contact us to order.

Check or change the Netflix plan you're currently on by visiting netflix.com/ChangePlan  

For more information, visit Can I Watch Netflix in 4K on XFINITY X1?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

Netflix 4K UHD on X1?

If I am paying for the 4K UHD plan from Netflix, (I have a compatibile 4K TV), will I be able to receive 4K programming when I stream through X1, or will I have to go through another device to get 4K?

Thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: Netflix 4K UHD on X1?

Not at the present time. The new 4K  box is being tested, but nothing being output in either 4K, or Blu-Ray (1080p), by Comcast.

View Netflix for UHD programing, or Blu-Ray, using the Netflix app over broadband on your 4K smart tv.

Official Employee

Coming but nothing announced yet.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Netflix 4K content is availble but only if you a XG1 V4 (only available in certain markets) a 4K TV (obvious) a Premium Netflix subscription and a HDMI 2.0 compliant cable (preferably)

Service Expert

small edit.... the HDMI cables you use now will probably handle the higher stream rate just fine.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Contributor

Re: Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

There is no mention of HDR support in post.  Will there be HDR from Netflix thru the XG1V4 Boxes in the future?

Frequent Visitor

i just recived my XG1v4 today and the netflix app does not show 4K support? do I need to reboot it.

Problem Solver

Did you remember to set the box back to 4K?

Most have been using it at 1080p since there was no 4k until now with Netflix.

New Poster

When will Comcast start broadcasting content in 4K?  It's taken far longer than moving to 480p to 1080i/p.  And when will Comcast stop broadcasting in standard definition?  What a waste of spectum and bandwidth.

Problem Solver

If you are refering to broadcasting 4K signals over linear-cable, that might not happen until the major networks decide to spend the money to transmit 4K over the air.

That might still be a few years off because of the fear of large capital expenditure for 4K with current political situation. For now the movement to 4K might involve high-speed broadband (Internet), providers like: You-tube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other broadband providers. The major networks are leaning to high-speed Internets using their apps for possible 4K in the future. This currently the cheapest route.

Then there is some 4K content coming over satellite.

Administrator
Administrator

All,

To answer a few of your questions, as of now, the only 4K content that is available from Comcast is Netflix programming. Whatever definition they decide to provide for their programming is what we will pass along to our customers. Remember, in order to receive this new 4K content you must meet the following qualifications:

• You must be an XFINITY X1 customer
  • You must have a Netflix Premium subscription that includes their 4K programming
  • You must have a compatible 4K television
  • You must have XFINITY's XG1v4 4K set top box

Things to note:

• Netflix recommends an Internet connection speed of at least 25 Mbps to stream 4K titles
  • If a movie or show is available in 4K, and you meet all the above qualifications, the default playback will be in 4K. 

I hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else of have any further questions please don't hesitate to let us know here. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Called up to order an XG1v4. Said i have to go to the store.

You should fix where it says "Please contact us to order."

Regular Visitor

I have the new box, display 2160, premium Netflix but no Netflix shows are listed as uhd.

Anything else?
Service Expert

Tonymann wrote:
I have the new box, display 2160, premium Netflix but no Netflix shows are listed as uhd.

Anything else?

login to the netflix.com web site and go to your account. Does your plan include 4k or just HD streams?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

The way it looks to me, using Breaking Bad as an example, whatever you choose through Netflix, if it has a 4K version it goes automatically when you choose. If it doesn't, you get the HD version

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
Problem Solver

It is rather interesting that after this Comcast announcement on their start of using the 4K cable-box for streaming Netflix, that You Tube had two episodes of a weekly show now on You Tube Red being shown for free on You Tube app on my Samsung UHD Tv. I get the app over DLS on the Internet. Of course no need to pay extra for the 4K cable-box.

I hope we hear from people being able to watch 4K Netflix programs now on the new cable-box.

Official Employee

4K content works just fine, just got my dvr yesterday

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

adammusic22 wrote:

Called up to order an XG1v4. Said i have to go to the store.

You should fix where it says "Please contact us to order."

I used that link as well and tried the chat functionality.  That was also a mistake.  They said great news I qualify for the XG1v4 box, and they could ship me one for $15 but I would still have to drive to the "local" (about 30 miles from me) store to turn in my current DVR.  So I asked why if I have to drive there anyway I couldn't just pick up the new box for free and avoid the shipping cost.  They said they encouraged people to do so.  I then asked them to confirm that particular store had inventory (this was after they pulled up my account so they knew who I was).  They confirmed.  So I just got back, and of course they didn't have any that work in my particular area.  A wasted trip.  The two reps in the store also told me if I had the person on the chat ship me a box, I likely would not have received a 4K box anyway as they just ship any DVR from the warehouse.  Not sure if that's accurate or not, but either way it's clear the person I chatted with did not know what they are talking about as I just wasted an hour and a half of my time plus gas and I'm still holding the same box as before.  The rep was nice enough to take my info down and will hold the next box that comes in for my area, just unclear how often a store that far away gets one for my area (they are the closest store unfortunately).

It's nice to see that Comcast is finally making some effort to have limited 4K content available, but they are clearly not prepared for the demand for the hardware that will be coming from the announcement.

Contributor

Do anyone know if the box support hdr10 for netffix movies in hdr?

Most Valued Poster

Thats what im expecting if i drive 30 minutes to my store.

They won't call you if they get the boxes in.

And for future reference, if you ever have to return a box, you can take it to any ups store. No need to even pack it. They'll do it for you. Comcast has a deal/account with UPS.
New Poster

I have the same question.  Does the XG1v4 support HDR10 on Netflix?

I called today.  The rep setup a intall appointment for the XG1v4.  Then 10 mins later the rep called back to say they would ship the XG1v4  to my house instead.  I said okay.  The rep confirmed they were shipping out the XG1v4 that supports 4k.  So I should have one next week I guess. 

Service Expert

4kHDR wrote:

I have the same question.  Does the XG1v4 support HDR10 on Netflix?

I called today.  The rep setup a intall appointment for the XG1v4.  Then 10 mins later the rep called back to say they would ship the XG1v4  to my house instead.  I said okay.  The rep confirmed they were shipping out the XG1v4 that supports 4k.  So I should have one next week I guess. 

your post is very near to cross-posting. see answers at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2992937/highlight/true#M139526

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

4fclubmf wrote:

Wouldn't Netflix have to support HDR10 first?  You could ask them.

If you read the XG4 thread, they say it doesn't support HDR10.  Is that what you were asking?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2991974#M139438

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

4fclubmf wrote:

Good question, as typically when I see a show or movie on Netflix in HDR it is Dolby Vision.  This box does not appear to support that correct? 

Service Expert

KK_in_CT wrote:

4fclubmf wrote:

Good question, as typically when I see a show or movie on Netflix in HDR it is Dolby Vision.  This box does not appear to support that correct? 

Comcast doesn't support HDR10 yet.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Why am I being charged $29.99 to have the X1v4 box delivered to my home? Under no circumstance should they be able to do that. They are replacing a box that is obsolete to accommodate newer technology in our home.
Contributor

xGMANx wrote:
Why am I being charged $29.99 to have the X1v4 box delivered to my home? Under no circumstance should they be able to do that. They are replacing a box that is obsolete to accommodate newer technology in our home.

Is the $30 for the technician to come in house and replace current box or is that a delivery fee to be sent to home by mail?

Regular Contributor

That's the delivery fee charge the mail it to my house. I have to install it myself.
Service Expert

xGMANx wrote:

You should call 1800comcast to ask that question.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Jumping in a little late here...

I have had an XG1V4 for about a week now. Netflix in 4K UHD works just dandy and as an added bonus Dolby Digital + audio is available. Hopefully Dolby Atmos won't be too far behind.

Contributor

I just got one of these XG1V4 boxes. Setup was a snap as it replaced my XG1V3. However when I checked the downstream signal it is at 10.1 dbmv which is higher than spec. I changed nothing other than the box. My old dvr was reading 7.8. So far everything works fine. I’m just concerned about long term issues with the level above 8.0 Dbmv. The Downstream SNR and Upstream Power are within spec. Can someone tell me if this is normal ?
Official Employee

The box may be reading higher, don't fret and get caught up in 1 or 2db, it'll fluctuate with weather changes anyway

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Can you check my signals on your end ?
Official Employee

Can you check my signals on your end ?
________

All good

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Thank you
Frequent Visitor

Same here. Did you get this resolved?

Official Employee

gobluejd wrote:

Same here. Did you get this resolved?

Same here doesn't explain anything and no idea what or who you're referring to. Are you having troubles or have a question?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

How does Comcast Cable look in 4k? with X1.

anyone that has a 4k tv and comcast can you share your honest opinion.

Service Expert

Re: How does Comcast Cable look in 4k? with X1.

Pharrell wrote:

anyone that has a 4k tv and comcast can you share your honest opinion.

hi, I moved your post to the 4K thread of the forum. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but the Comcast 4K Netflix app streams at 6Mbps, but draws 16Mbps on other 4K Netflix devices. 

The difference is noticeable.

Service Expert

LeeSoFL wrote:

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but the Comcast 4K Netflix app streams at 6Mbps, but draws 16Mbps on other 4K Netflix devices. 

The difference is noticeable.

Did you use the test pattern file and let it stabllize? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

posting pictures and site crashecomcast appcomcast appsony tv appsony tv appsony tv internal displaysony tv internal display

Service Expert

LeeSoFL wrote:

Yep, Comcast app after 5 minutes, Sony TV app after 15 seconds:
(and as usual, pictures on this forum turn 90 degrees all by themselves!!!)

good info, did you verify the settings on the set top box output is set to 2160? have more than one set top box to try same test? the first image confirms that the Comcast delivery didn't go higher than 1080. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

LeeSoFl, I got the same results as you. And wondered about the 1080 in the picture that you posted as well. I couldn’t tell you why the test show different results on different devices, that would be a Netflix question. As far as 4K, personally the Netflix 4K on the dvr looks just as good as the Netflix 4K on the Rolu ultra.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Highlighted
Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
LeeSoFl, I got the same results as you. And wondered about the 1080 in the picture that you posted as well. I couldn’t tell you why the test show different results on different devices, that would be a Netflix question. As far as 4K, personally the Netflix 4K on the dvr looks just as good as the Netflix 4K on the Rolu ultra.

for testing I'd hook up the Xg1v4 directly to the TV and run the test. if 1080 is max then try a new cable. If it then works then check/replace cables to get path acceptable to the HDCP handshake testing and then when both cables pass the test connected directly to TV, use the cables and connect to the receiver. if no 2160 then you may need to review settings in the receiver and capabilities and other receiver help sources. A firmware update may be available.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Comcast says call Netflix, but Netflix said they pipe it to Comcast at the best possible picture resolution, in this cast 3840 x 2160.  The streaming speed of your Comcast app is only 6Mbps, while the Sony app on my 75Z9D is 4K at 16Mbps. 

The Roku Ultra signal shows full 4K, and I don't think the Comcast app looks anywhere near as good as the Sony built in app.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben,

Thanks but none of that made a difference. I get the full Ultra 4K menu on Netflix, but the streaming speed for Comcast's app is not hitting the point that will deliver a 4K picture.  

Gold Problem Solver

I am not sure but my guess is the difference is the streaming speed between Comcast and Netflix is HDR signal.

Last weekend I took a quick look at HDR content on Netflix. They offer both 1080p and 4K HDR content. Both looked pretty doggon good.

Comcast remains well behind in this particular race.
Problem Solver

I would just like to confirm with you that you are now using a 4K compliant HDMI cable between the box and your television.

Up until Comcast started feeding a 4K signal, this HDMI cable would not have been required.