New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Need help with x1 tv and no sound

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 65

I have recently switched to x1platform tv for my 3 hd lcd tvs.  Two work fine, but one is constantly having an issue.  When I turn the tv on there is no sound.  I have to turn off the tv and turn on several times.  Sometimes I unplug the cable box and let it reset and then it seems to work again.  I have read previously that this can be an issue.  I have an lg lcd tv can you offer any suggestions?

64 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 65

teachgym wrote:

I have recently switched to x1platform tv for my 3 hd lcd tvs.  Two work fine, but one is constantly having an issue.  When I turn the tv on there is no sound.  I have to turn off the tv and turn on several times.  Sometimes I unplug the cable box and let it reset and then it seems to work again.  I have read previously that this can be an issue.  I have an lg lcd tv can you offer any suggestions?

I see this from time to time. Changing the channel usually fixes the issue. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 65

Are you connecting via HDMI? There have been HDMI handshaking issues reported with X1 on this forum. Have you tried using the analog audio out or optical from the STB to the TV?

Dave

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 65

Tried it, it didn't work.  I unplug the cable box which is set up with one anyroom dvr.  I then reboot it and it works, untill I turn off the tv for a while.  Thanks anyway

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 65

No because I want to use the hdmi plug.  So can you explain what I do exactly.  Is this something they will fix do you think-so silly.  It works fine on my other lg tv-it is annoying  :-(

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 65

I contacting comcast and they tried to send a signal to my box and it didnt work-they are putting me in tier 2 for help within 48-72 hrs.  I think they will need to come out as they can't even get a signal to the box lol

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 7 of 65

If they can't get a signal to the box that could explain many things. However it would seem X1 doesn't work with every TV using an HDMI connection. You might want to be prepared to try component connections.

I would be prepared for a service visit if I were you.

teachgym wrote:

I contacting comcast and they tried to send a signal to my box and it didnt work-they are putting me in tier 2 for help within 48-72 hrs.  I think they will need to come out as they can't even get a signal to the box lol

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 65

I agree with you if they can't get a signal they will have to come out.  I am so not handy at fixing things.  If I unplug the hdmi from tv and box what do I use instead?  I guess I have to wait to hear from the tier 2 people that they can't help either and they can set up an appt.  Seems ridiculous that the xi doesn't work with all tvs.  Once I have to sound on -usually takes 4 shutoffs and ons to get it to work it is all fine.  I never have a sound problem.  I have been asked to restart my cable box several times and I do-I think they need to perfect x1-seems silly to offer it and have this problem.  Thanks for your help

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 65

Update with my sound difficulty on one of my 3 tvs.  So comcast came today and I told the serviceman that when I put my tv on in my bedroom only the sound won't go on, and it takes awhile to connect.  I have to turn off and on the tv 3 or 4 times and then it works.  Sometimes by a miracle it goes on the first time.  He swapped out my cable box, even told me it is a newer one than the one I got a month ago - and it still does the same thing.  He said it could my tv but no way-if the audio was bad on the tv it would'nt work correctly.  Only time there is an issue with the audio is when the box is turned on.  He also gave me a new hdmi cord.  Any other ideas?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 65
This may be an obvious one but have you tried different HDMI ports on your tv?have you brought one of your other boxes to that TV and see if it does the same thing?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 65

I have no idea how to do any of that .  If I change the hdmi to the other plug it may not work-I am going to cal comcast again and say it didnt work. It can't be my tv if I can get sound on it-it takes 4 times til the sound goes on but it does.  I never thouht to switch the hdmi plug to another hdmi plug on tv-I am not a tec person-shouldn't the cable guy have done that?  Here is what happens.  I have no problem with sound at all just when I put the tv on -it doesn't go on right away nor does the tv-it takes a second or the hdmi to connect then no sound-I shut it off and on 3 tiimes and then goes on-if it were the tv it would never work.  .  What happend if I unplug the hdmi and put it in the other one?  WIll the cable box have to restart.  I am a typical female with no tech skills.  Thanks

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 12 of 65

Same problem.  I have found no solution except what   suggests.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 65

You mean the part about trying a differrent hdmi plug on the tv or using standard instead of hd.  I have 3 tvs-two are fine- the other is not. What is suggested  ?  Is your issue exactly the same only turning it on?  I see people wrote about sound with dvr or on demand not working-that is not my problem.  They switched out the box and I think it is worse lol.  Once I get the tv sound to work I basically leave it on-waste

Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 65

By the way changing the channel doesn't work- 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 65

I tried another hdmi port and it seemed to work at first then same thing- I switched to the new hdmi plug and it seems to only have to be shut on and off 2 times instead of 4 lol. The tv in that room doesn't turn on the same way it did before =so strange.  Any other ideas- comcast gave me a new box yesterday so switching the box out of a another room seems silly if it is doing the same thing with a new cable box-so strange.My tv used to go right on in that room -now it hestitates until it connects to hdmi-still feel that it is  a comcas tthing

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 16 of 65

I sounds like you may have HDMI control turned on on your TV.  With it on, your TV turns on when it sees an HDMI input.  The problem is that there is a continuous HDMI input from your X1 cable box, so the TV only sees the input come on once.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 65

I never had a problem with the tv with the boxes before I got X!-  I haven't touched anything on my tv -also  how come the other two tvs work fine?  I did notice if I use the tv remote to put on the tv the cable comes on so maybe that is the answer-What should my control be on my tv if not hdmi?  Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 18 of 65

X1 handles HDMI differently than the older boxes. What happened with older boxes no longer applies. Jehill's suggestion is very valid and may help you. Go into your TV's settings find the HDMI-CEC settings. Panasonic calls it Viera Link. Samsung calls it AnyNet. Find those settings and turn them off.

teachgym wrote:

I never had a problem with the tv with the boxes before I got X!-  I haven't touched anything on my tv -also  how come the other two tvs work fine?  I did notice if I use the tv remote to put on the tv the cable comes on so maybe that is the answer-What should my control be on my tv if not hdmi?  Thanks

Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 65

I have an LG-what does turning that off do?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 20 of 65

HDMI has two way communication between the TV and the connected sources units. They are able to talk to each other. There are times you don't want that and this could be one of those times...

teachgym wrote:

I have an LG-what does turning that off do?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 21 of 65

The strange thing is that sometimes it is fine.  So I tried using my tv remote for turning the tv on andoff and that helped for little now I am back to turning it off and on three or more times to get the sound on.  The picture always comes on but, sometimes it takes longer.  The sound sometimes goes right on but usually I have to turn the all on button off and on several times- it is annoying

Posted by
Contributor

Message 22 of 65

Solution- I unplug and restarted my new box in the bedroom.  The sound goes on everytime I turn the tv on- this has occured for this day so lets keep our fingers crossed that this has worked :-)!!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 23 of 65

so everyone out there get comcast to come out and give you a new box then when they leave unplug it and restart it and see your sound is ok-I do not like x1 at all-got it to save money -for one year then when they raise the price again I will try to get my old systm back lol

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 24 of 65

Let's hope it's a permanent fix...

teachgym wrote:

Solution- I unplug and restarted my new box in the bedroom.  The sound goes on everytime I turn the tv on- this has occured for this day so lets keep our fingers crossed that this has worked :-)!!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 65

Not lol!!! Tried again 4 times to get the sound on-now working again- at least it is my bedroom tv not my main one-I think the signal is bad- but will not call comcast for another appt that was a waste

Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 65

Still isn't working-no solution to the problem :-(   A little better since I unplug cable box and plugged in-now I only have to turn the tv on and off two or three times instead of 3 or 4 to get sound.  Today my blast internet is a little slow-anyone experiencing problems-especially using safari

Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 65

Here is the solution.  I went on line to chat support and had a terrific guy who sent all kinds of signals to the tv.  Now I can put it on sometimes the sound goes right on -if not I  turn it off I time and back on and the sound comes on.  I also am using my tv remote not the comcast one to turn the tv on and off-as I just read that the cable boxes stay on - so I hope this is the solution finally

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 28 of 65

There are two things that I try when there is no sound from my X1 box:

1)  Change channels

2)  Go to Settings, Device Settings, Audio, Audio Mode and toggle from SURROUND to STEREO and back.

If neither of those work, I turn the box off (standby mode) and back on with the power button on the front of the box to get a warm re-start.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 65

LOL!!!  Comcast needs to fix this-your ideas are good.  So now today I had to turn off the tv 2 times and then the sound worked.  Guess the guy didn't fix it so well-it is better than before.   I also will try your suggestions.  Changing the channel does nothing.  But I will change the channnel and play with the volume and then turn it off and on-ususally that might work-or not.

I will try your suggestion with the box-turning the front button off and on.  I did read that the cable box stays on all the time so I thought to just use my remote from the tv to turn it on and off-today that didn't work.  Thanks for your suggestions.  At least it goes on :-).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 65

Still problem with and sound going on in one room only.  So I had two comcast guys here, one terrible, on his cell phone the whole time and texting, the other fabulous-thought problem was fixed but not.  He even did component instead of hd and showed me how to go back and forth-which I have. Now it takes 4-5 times to turn tv on and off and then the sound finally works.  Tried hitting button in front on and off, resetting box and bad.  Every time tech guy is here it is ok.  Last one even gave me his cell which I plan to call-so annoying.  I have two other tvs and they are fine.  One workds the same before platform and one a little different but the sound goes on.  Also the tv with the sound problem-when I watched something I dvrd the screen with other info keep flashing on the screen-ie upcoming programs-very weird.  The tech guy said they absolutely have a problem with some tvs and the platform 1 re sound.  Any other ideas?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 31 of 65

teachgym wrote:

Still problem with and sound going on in one room only.  So I had two comcast guys here, one terrible, on his cell phone the whole time and texting, the other fabulous-thought problem was fixed but not.  He even did component instead of hd and showed me how to go back and forth-which I have. Now it takes 4-5 times to turn tv on and off and then the sound finally works.  Tried hitting button in front on and off, resetting box and bad.  Every time tech guy is here it is ok.  Last one even gave me his cell which I plan to call-so annoying.  I have two other tvs and they are fine.  One workds the same before platform and one a little different but the sound goes on.  Also the tv with the sound problem-when I watched something I dvrd the screen with other info keep flashing on the screen-ie upcoming programs-very weird.  The tech guy said they absolutely have a problem with some tvs and the platform 1 re sound.  Any other ideas?

is your powersave turned off on the x1 box?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 32 of 65
Where do I find that setting? I think it is off
Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 65

Yes the powersave is off-is that correct?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 34 of 65

don't push the power button for a day, this includes when you turn your tv off! see what happens.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 35 of 65
How do I turn off the tv without the power button? At 6 am today my tv said it wasntconnected and to unplug my tv and restart . I am tired of it I don't get it . Should I just turn the power off from tv?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 36 of 65

yes....I have a feeling you for some reason are turning of that box. It should be never turned off. Are you using the comcast supply remote that came with x1?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 37 of 65

Yes I am using their remote.  I know that the x1 box never is turned off so I agree with you however, I get a picture when I turn the tv on using their remote-just no sound until I turn the tv on and off 3-5 times.  Should I use the remote for the tv to turn on and off?  I do have the cell no of the last tech who came here-he was great and then after he left again with the tv. He even gave me component wires to try going in that way.  I took them out as no change-actually worse.  I may call him-they need to get it together.  It is an lg tv, and I have another lg that works fine-thanks

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 38 of 65

And what happens when you use the stereo outputs from the box to your tv?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 39 of 65

Are thy the wires he connnected to component intead of hdmi?  It was horrible-didn't work so I took them out.  I turned the tv off with the tv remote and it went back on first time, then I tried again and I turned on tv using comcast remote all on.  The sound went on the second time.  SO I think turning the tv off with the tv remote is a better idea-still going to call the comcast guy since he gave me his work cell no.  Just don't think it will make a difference.  He told me there is a problem with some tvs and the sound with the x1 platform.  Keep the ideas coming :-)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 65

2nd day of service, 2nd day with sound issues...  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 41 of 65

davward wrote:

2nd day of service, 2nd day with sound issues...  

what is the problem you are having with sound?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 42 of 65
Had no sound. Power cycled the x1 box and sound came in again. Leave HDMI cables plugged in so it's recognized when the box powers up
Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 65

I got rid of x1 I did not like it.  I still have a problem with the one tv in my bedroom.  it takes me 8 times or so to get the sound on =they said it is my tv but if it was the tv wouldn't ever have sound.  Had no problems before

Posted by
Visitor
Message 44 of 65

It haappens to me every time that the boxes update.  It's annoying.  Rebooting solves the problem but takes 15 minutes to reset.  Annoying.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 45 of 65

aftyleigh wrote:

It haappens to me every time that the boxes update.  It's annoying.  Rebooting solves the problem but takes 15 minutes to reset.  Annoying.

That has never happened to me since I got X1 in June 2013.  My guess is you have a weak connection between the boxes and the Comcast network.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 46 of 65

Hi, So glad there's a discussion on this cable audio problem since I am just a tech-less, end-viewer. I am having the same audio problems when they switched the older cable box for the newer, sleeker black cable box this week. I went thru the same 'process of elimination' with the HDMI cables, switching HDMI 1 & 2 on TV remote &/or switching cable remote on/off. This happened to us before w/ our Comcast in another place we lived in. We sorta figured it out by using the remote controller.

We leave the cable box power on & use just the TV power button only to on/off it. Let's see what the Comcast Cable Guy says when he comes later.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 47 of 65

I'm beginning to know the RDK codes by memory. This is bad. I'm going back to the legacy system. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 48 of 65

We can't go back to the legacy system; we were lucky enough to get two DVR's with a total of eight tuners, which we couldn't do without.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 49 of 65

Turning off the set top box by the button on front didn't do it, but when I used the xfinity troubleshooting app on my phone I could reboot the box and that fixed the sound issue.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 50 of 65

I'm also having a sound problem with the remote boxes on the x1 platform.  I have to keep rebooting the boxes to get the sound to come back.  It just keeps dropping out radomly day to day.  Only way to get it back it to reboot the remote set top box.  A real pain in the axx.