discussions

NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial (X1)

SOLVED
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 67

**UPDATE 010/12/2017**

NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial

As part of the NHL Center Ice experience, we continue to trial a new NHL Center Ice feature. XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service will be able to watch all of the games in HD starting a week into the regular season.

We plan to launch the NHL Center Ice HD feature across the Comcast footprint in the future.

Please note that there is no additional charge for eligible customers and no action is required to receive this feature. 

The NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) channel is the first NHL Center Ice listing in the X1 guide above the current NHL Center Ice SD channels.

Note: At this time, the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) listing will not be associated with a channel number because this feature is in trial. This means that customers will not see a channel number in the X1 guide and therefore cannot tune to this channel by entering a channel number, as one does not exist.

NHL CI HD Beta.png

NHL CI HD Beta 2.png

NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) Collection Page:
X1 customers can search for "NHL Center Ice HD" and will be presented with the NHL Center Ice Collection page, which displays 30 NHL team logos organized by conference.

NHL Center Ice Team Page:
X1 customers can also continue to search for a specific team where the team’s live HD game will be available by selecting the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) tile on the Team page.

Note: Customers cannot search for specific HD games. Customers can only access the live HD games from the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) Collection page or the Team page.

During the trial, the following functionality will not be supported on the new NHL Center Ice HD channel:

•Recording
•Pause

This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and are working to provide this functionality in the near future.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 53 of 67
Solution

All - thanks for your patience and apologies for the delay.

I have been told that the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) is now operational and available for qualified customers. Qualified customers are XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service. 

Thanks for your patience. Enjoy the games!

Details below:  

As part of the NHL Center Ice experience, we continue to trial a new NHL Center Ice feature.

XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service will be able to watch all of the games in HD starting a week into the regular season.

We plan to launch the NHL Center Ice HD feature across the Comcast footprint in the future.

Please note that there is no additional charge for eligible customers and no action is required to receive this feature.

The NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) channel is the first NHL Center Ice listing in the X1 guide above the current NHL Center Ice SD channels.Or using the X1 voice remote control, hold down the blue microphone button and say "NHL Center Ice" and then select NHL Center Ice HD.  

Note: At this time, the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) listing will not be associated with a channel number because this feature is in trial. This means that customers will not see a channel number in the X1 guide and therefore cannot tune to this channel by entering a channel number, as one does not exist.

During the trial, the following functionality will not be supported on the new NHL Center Ice HD channel:

•Recording
•Pause

This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and are working to provide this functionality in the near future. Rewinding is now supported.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
66 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 67

What percentage of the "up to 40 out-of-market games each week" on the NHL® CENTER ICE® package are available in HD format?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 67

fjjabq wrote:

What percentage of the "up to 40 out-of-market games each week" on the NHL® CENTER ICE® package are available in HD format?

In your area, we currently have two HD channels dedicated to NHL Center Ice (chanels 857 and 859). There are 14 total NHL Center Ice channels offered in your area (channels 771 -784).

Below link shows April's schedule if you wanted to see the games that were offered in HD in your area.

Games that were available in HD in your area were shown on GAMEHD01 and GAMEHD02

http://www.indemand.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NHL_4.6.16.pdf 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 67

So what you're saying is only 25-35% of your weekly scheduled games on Center Ice are in HD? Ever try watching hockey in SD? And you're charging what? If this is the case, there is this thing called "the internet" and it "streams" games for "free". 

EDIT: What percentage of games aired in HD aren't already on NHL Network and NBCSN? 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 67

gtkoszz wrote:

So what you're saying is only 25-35% of your weekly scheduled games on Center Ice are in HD? Ever try watching hockey in SD? And you're charging what? If this is the case, there is this thing called "the internet" and it "streams" games for "free". 

EDIT: What percentage of games aired in HD aren't already on NHL Network and NBCSN? 

Here is the October-November NHL Center Ice schedule: 

http://www.indemand.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NHL_10.14.16.pdf

The games on NHL Center Ice are not available on NHL Network or NBCSN.

Not sure where you can legally watch NHL games for free online...The NHL and the teams lock that down fairly well to protect their investment and their rights. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 67

While they may not be free, The NHL Gamecenter package gives you all of the same games, all in HD, plus extras you do not offer.  It seems as though we've made a mistake in buying your product instead of getting much more for the same price (at the very least HD) from the NHL Roku or Xbox app.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 7 of 67

Does anyone else subscribe to the NHL package?  I am curious about the lack of HD games available.  Why is there only one HD game available nightly and who decides which game should get this special treatment?  Typically, the game chosen is not the best matchup of the night and why in 2017 is there only one HD game?  They are all broadcast in HD and I cant believe bandwidth is still an issue.  Thanks in advance 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 8 of 67

Does anyone know if NHL Center Ice will be all HD for the upcoming '17-'18 season.  I don't mean two channels - I mean every game (or the vast majority).  I believe something like this was beta-trialed earlier this year ?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 67

When will NHL center ice be available for the 2017 season?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 10 of 67

All,

NHL Center Ice will be available for the 2017-2018 season. You can order that package here: https://www.xfinity.com/sports/nhl/center-ice.html

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 67

Can you elaborate on the HD situation with NHL Center Ice this year - how many of the games will be in HD ?  How many HD channels will be available ? In past years it has been a significant minority

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 67
I’d love to hear the answer to this. I’m considering switching to direct tv, their center ice has all games in HD, both home and away games. I don’t want to switch, but it’s 2017, crazy that we are still watching anything in SD...
Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 67

When I follow the link to add the NHL Center Ice subscription, I'm not actually given the option to add the package. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 14 of 67

You did'nt answer the question regarding games in HD.  I know all the games will be on but will they be broadcast in HD?  Not 1 game per night but 100% of the broadcast.  I know there is a beta channel for MLB extra inn for X1 customers, will NHL Center Ice have the same option?  Please provide details.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 15 of 67

Does anyone know if NHL Center Ice will be all HD for the upcoming '17-'18 season.  I don't mean two channels - I mean every game (or the vast majority).  I know MLB extra Inn had a HD beta channel for X1 customers, will Center Ice have the same?  This question has been asked a number of times, but comcast still has not offered an answer, just provided the link to order.  My assumption is that most know how to order but are waiting for answers regarding HD games.  Can you please give details regarding HD broadcast  for the upcoming 2017/18 season.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 67

Does anyone know if NHL Center Ice will be all HD for the upcoming '17-'18 season.  I don't mean two channels - I mean every game (or the vast majority).  I know MLB extra Inn had a HD beta channel for X1 customers, will Center Ice have the same?  This question has been asked a number of times, but comcast still has not offered an answer, just provided the link to order.  My assumption is that most know how to order but are waiting for answers regarding HD games.  Can you please give details regarding HD broadcast  for the upcoming 2017/18 season.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 67
There has to be a way to view how many games I will get for my team before I pay the money how can I see that?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 67

Killacam wrote:
There has to be a way to view how many games I will get for my team before I pay the money how can I see that?

The current schedule hasn't yet been posted. When it does, it will be available and updated here: http://www.indemand.com/whats-on/sports/nhl/

There is a free preview of this package available October 4 through October 10. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 19 of 67

ComcastTeds wrote:

Killacam wrote:

The current schedule hasn't yet been posted. When it does, it will be available and updated here: http://www.indemand.com/whats-on/sports/nhl/

There is a free preview of this package available October 4 through October 10. 

Just to provide an update to all following this thread/topic: 

All NHL Center Ice games are expected to be available in HD on our X1 platform (same as last year).

Details here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/td-p/2875571

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 20 of 67

@SportsFan2017,

HD service will be available for NHL Center Ice for the 2017/2018 season. The HD Beta will start about a week after the regular season begins. For the latest information about NHL Center ICE HD Beta please see here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 67

Okay, but will I need to watch the games live, or will I have the option to watch previously played games, within the Beta channel..?

HD is a must, so I'm in favor of the Beta channel, but I also don't want to schedule my life around being home for live hockey for 2 hockey teams.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 22 of 67

Rmboyd86 wrote:

Okay, but will I need to watch the games live, or will I have the option to watch previously played games, within the Beta channel..?

HD is a must, so I'm in favor of the Beta channel, but I also don't want to schedule my life around being home for live hockey for 2 hockey teams.

Games are currently live only. Details here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/td-p/2875571

Please note that a free preview of the NHL CENTER ICE sports package will take place from 10/4/17 thru 10/10/17 including NHL Center Ice HD Beta.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 67

I'm unclear as to why this question seems to be so difficult to answer. Will all of the games on Center Ice be available in HD to those who have the X1 platform and a center ice package? Is the Beta channel just one more channel in HD added to the two I had last year?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 24 of 67

When you got to the Beta channel, most likely it will be placed beween NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice (at least that's where it was last season) you click on the Team that you want to watch and it is in HD.  You can get every team that way.  A little trick I did last year was click on the teams that were playing on a particular night and put those teams on, then used my "last" button and that showed the last 10 programs I had watched, in this case the last 10 teams and then that way I navigated through all the games.  It takes an extra step, but at least it was in HD.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 67

Dear O.C.E., My getting HD depends on projects expanding the bandwidth in my area.  Can you direct me to somewhere that posts that level of detail?  Zip 32082

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 26 of 67

IceQueenSunday wrote:

I'm unclear as to why this question seems to be so difficult to answer. Will all of the games on Center Ice be available in HD to those who have the X1 platform and a center ice package? Is the Beta channel just one more channel in HD added to the two I had last year?

XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service will be able to watch all of the games in HD. 

If you have X1 and subscribe to NHL Center Ice, the expectation is that all games will be available in HD via the app on the X1 box.

Details at the link above in Comcast Jessie's post on how to get there. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571

Free preview of NHL Center Ice starts tonight.    

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 27 of 67

ComcastTeds wrote:

IceQueenSunday wrote:

XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service will be able to watch all of the games in HD. 

If you have X1 and subscribe to NHL Center Ice, the expectation is that all games will be available in HD via the app on the X1 box.

Details at the link above in Comcast Jessie's post on how to get there. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571

Free preview of NHL Center Ice starts tonight.    

Update - just found out that there are a few technical wrinkles that are being worked and NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) won't be ready for tonight. Likely ready early next week. Apologies.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 28 of 67

ComcastTeds wrote:

**UPDATE 09/22/2017**

As part of the NHL Center Ice experience, we are trialing a new NHL Center Ice feature. XFINITY X1 customers with an NHL Center Ice subscription and an XFINITY TV package that includes HD service will be able to watch all of the games in HD starting a week into the regular season.

The NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) channel is the first NHL Center Ice listing in the X1 guide above the current NHL Center Ice SD channels.

NHL CI HD Beta.png

NHL CI HD Beta 2.png

•Recording
•Pause
•Rewind

This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and are working to provide this functionality in the near future.

Update - just found out that there are a few technical wrinkles that are being worked and NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) won't be ready for tonight (10/4).

Likely ready early next week. Apologies.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 29 of 67
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 30 of 67

Pharrell wrote:

ugh

I hear you.

Apologies. NHL Center Ice HD is still in Beta. We fully anticipate to be delivering all games in HD starting next week for our NHL Center Ice customers on X1 (with an HD package), as we did last season.

There is a data issue hiccup that is causing this short delay.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 67
There are several topics with no answers but they are marked as “solved.”

Simple question: for the hockey season that STARTED LAST NIGHT, how many games are in HD each night? Is it like last season where most are in standard definition, or is it all of the games?

Thank you!!
Posted by
Administrator

Message 32 of 67

@britrich,

I apologize for the confusion. If you go to the link I provided (https://www.xfinity.com/sports/nhl/center-ice.html) and go to the top of that page, you will see: 

NHL.PNG

Click the "Add Now" button to add NHL Center Ice to your current television package. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 33 of 67

Janerich wrote:
There are several topics with no answers but they are marked as “solved.”

Simple question: for the hockey season that STARTED LAST NIGHT, how many games are in HD each night? Is it like last season where most are in standard definition, or is it all of the games?

Thank you!!

Expected that the above will start next week. Thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 67

This is great news. So the channel will be available starting next week the 11th?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 35 of 67

Spot on TaraTom - I got to watch some of the games last night while the product was being offered for free and was appalled at the definition (lack of) during the games. I guess I've been spoiled watching hockey in HD? Recently moved to Houston from Denver but I guess I'm not going to be able to watch my Avs this year. Refuse to pay extra for sub-par quality. Get it together Comcast!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 67

Great to hear that DirectTV has their games in HD - I moved this summer and would love to still be able to watch my team play! This is a big enough deal to me that I'll consider changing to DTV, and I currently have the entire comcast internet/tv/home security package. You're losing customers Comcast!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 37 of 67

Sportsfan2017 - It doesn't seem like you're getting a reply from the Comcast rep!

I don't think Comcast has advanced from the dark ages of SD yet, at least in their sports package offerings. I caught the free sampling of Center Ice yesterday and all of the games I viewed were NOT in HD. I guess I've become spoiled, but watching hockey in SD is painful now.  Considering switching to Direct TV -someone on here said they've got HD hockey packages, gonna check it out; have already missed two games Smiley Sad

Posted by
New Poster

Message 38 of 67

Great to hear this ComcastTed! You should move this reply to the first post regarding lack of HD instead of ignoring them - I was worried that I'd have to leave Comcast because of this!

P.S. Work on getting HD as your baseline sports offering, it is 2017 and all....

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 39 of 67

timis66 wrote:

This is great news. So the channel will be available starting next week the 11th?

Yes. NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) is expected to be available this week.

Details at the link above on how to get there. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 40 of 67
This is such garbage. Why am I being charged $36.56 a month for NHL Center Ice, when all the channels for NHL Center Ice are is SD circa 1995?!? I spoke to 3 people on the phone today for over an hour, none of which had any freaking clue how to fix this problem. I spoke to someone in billing about being compensated for this matter, and she tells me, "Someone should have told you when you signed up that you only get 1 channel, (channel 800) for hockey in HD....One freaking channel?!?! So you're telling me that on any given night, I can expect to watch only 1 game in HD, and it's not my choice who I can watch on that particular channel?<br><br> Directv has ALL of their hockey games in HD...Not just 1 stupid channel....what a freaking joke....Going back to DIRECTV, as should everyone else that's being ripped off and charged $37 a month to watch hockey in SD....
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 41 of 67

Hawknation wrote:
This is such garbage. Why am I being charged $36.56 a month for NHL Center Ice, when all the channels for NHL Center Ice are is SD circa 1995?!? I spoke to 3 people on the phone today for over an hour, none of which had any freaking clue how to fix this problem. I spoke to someone in billing about being compensated for this matter, and she tells me, "Someone should have told you when you signed up that you only get 1 channel, (channel 800) for hockey in HD....One freaking channel?!?! So you're telling me that on any given night, I can expect to watch only 1 game in HD, and it's not my choice who I can watch on that particular channel?<br><br> Directv has ALL of their hockey games in HD...Not just 1 stupid channel....what a freaking joke....Going back to DIRECTV, as should everyone else that's being ripped off and charged $37 a month to watch hockey in SD....

Apologies for any incorrect information you may have received.

NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) is expected to return and be available this week (just as we had last season).

UPDATE 10/11: The target timeframe for NHL Center Ice Beta HD to return is the week of 10/16. Thanks for your continued patience while the teams continue testing and checking out the new features. Apologies for the delay.  

If you have X1 and subscribe to NHL Center Ice, the expectation is that all games will be available (again) in HD via the app on the X1 box.

Details at the link above on how to get there. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 42 of 67
Now October 10th, 2017. No HD. Why pay over $100 if you can’t watch the NHL games in HD? In south Florida I get it’s not a hockey place. But everyone else (AT&T, DirectTV and Dish) all have HD. Ridiculous. I also tried to use the beta. It still does not work.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 67

Agree with last poster.  How about giving us a date certain for the beta to be up?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 44 of 67

Tperez18 wrote:
Now October 10th, 2017. No HD. Why pay over $100 if you can’t watch the NHL games in HD? In south Florida I get it’s not a hockey place. But everyone else (AT&T, DirectTV and Dish) all have HD. Ridiculous. I also tried to use the beta. It still does not work.

Apologies. The target timeframe for NHL Center Ice Beta HD to return is the week of 10/16. Thanks for your continued patience while our teams continue testing and checking out the new features. Apologies for the delay.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 45 of 67

cyost429 wrote:

Agree with last poster.  How about giving us a date certain for the beta to be up?

Apologies. The target timeframe for NHL Center Ice Beta HD to return is the week of 10/16. Thanks for your continued patience while our teams continue testing and checking out the new features. Apologies for the delay.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 46 of 67

So how do we get a credit for the service we were told was going to be available (HD Beta) and is not available for the first 2 weeks of the season at least?  I bought this package on comcast based on being told that the HD channels were going to be available for all games.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 67

We are now into the second week of the NHL season and I'm wondering when all the games in the center ice package are going to shown in HD. I paid for center ice thinking the games would be HD like I use to have with Direct TV, I have XFINITY X1 with HD and thought we were going to get HD.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 48 of 67

Having a tough time understanding the instructions. Is this feature working? I'm watching a game in SD, tried going to the "non-number" NHL Center Ice channel, found the menu for HD games, clicked on the team (Ducks) and it took me right back to the SD game. Is anyone having any luck. I'll echo everyone's thoughts about watching games in SD, definitely not a premium product worth paying extra for.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 49 of 67

jimbob54 wrote:

We are now into the second week of the NHL season and I'm wondering when all the games in the center ice package are going to shown in HD. I paid for center ice thinking the games would be HD like I use to have with Direct TV, I have XFINITY X1 with HD and thought we were going to get HD.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 50 of 67

Robquikla wrote:

Having a tough time understanding the instructions. Is this feature working? I'm watching a game in SD, tried going to the "non-number" NHL Center Ice channel, found the menu for HD games, clicked on the team (Ducks) and it took me right back to the SD game. Is anyone having any luck. I'll echo everyone's thoughts about watching games in SD, definitely not a premium product worth paying extra for.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.