Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Missed end of Saints-Vikings Game -- FURIOUS!!!!

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Missed end of Saints-Vikings Game -- FURIOUS!!!!

When when when when are you going to be competent with sports programming? I had the series recording set for the NFL Playoffs. The options screen said recordings would be extended automatically when games ran long, and this had worked fine for all previous games. However, today's (1/14/18) Saints-Vikings game recording, which was already extended by 1/2 hour from its scheduled time, ended before the actual game did. Since there was scoring by both teams after the recording cut-off I missed an epic finish I guess -- I still don't know exactly what happened but I do know that the score was 23-21 MIN when the recording ended with NO driving for an apparent game-winning FG, then I used the C button on my X1 remote to learn the final score was 29-24 MIN. And no, I was not recording a bunch of other shows -- nor was there any interruption in my X1 service. Someone evidently thought the game was almost over so why extend it another half-hour. I have missed the end of baseball games before for this reason. And now I'm spending time on this. I WANT A CREDIT ON MY BILL FOR THIS!!!!! Here's an idea someone should listen to: DON'T STOP LIVE GAME RECORDINGS UNTIL AT LEAST 5 MINUTES AFTER THE GAME TO ACCOUNT FOR TIME LAGS SO PEOPLE DON'T MISS THE END OF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, you've had years to figure this out. Come on!

Accepted Solution

Re: Missed end of Saints-Vikings Game -- FURIOUS!!!!

We apologize for the missed DVR auto-extend… The reason for the incident was a technical glitch on the systems that tell DVRs to extend their recordings when games are not yet over. We are working diligently to mitigate this kind of issue in the future. We realize that it is better to over extend recordings than to under extend.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. 

View answer in context
New Poster

Same thing happened to me. Serious fail on Comcast’s part.
Cable Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

New Poster

Same thing happened to me. Ridiculous!!!
Regular Visitor

This is a current version of the “Heidi Game”. So messed up on Comcast’s part!!!  How dare you do this!!  Game stopped recording with 33 seconds left in the game.  I’ve put up with so much BS from this company over the past 20 years and they’ve taken $60K+ from me for it.  I don’t need this anymore - cutting the wire tomorrow and taking my $3k/year somewhere else.

New Poster

Me too!!! Completely unacceptable!
New Poster

Missed the end of the game here, too. Sounds like it was a good one. Moving to Sonic next week, maybe that will help.

Silver Problem Solver

Just record the show that comes on after the game and you will not miss anything.

New Poster

Same thing happened to me. I've ben lulled into using the automatic extension feature after it's initial crappy roll-out. They seemed to have fixed its problems. Then they choose to screw up on perhaps the most dramatic game of the last 25 years. Disgusting. I'm investigating options.
New Poster

Same here - WHY!!!

New Poster

My God, this is absolutley ridicululous.  I've set recordings of sports on DirecTV to run over 3 hours to be sure I didn't miss anything.  Switched to Comcast about two months ago and saw that automatic feature and though "wow, cool, they figured out how to handle this pretty easy problem, nice".  Worked fine until last night.  A company this big should not release a feature like that unless it is fully tested and works.  Pretty much the only reason I even have cable anymore is for live sports, and to have a service that I pay a premium price for cause me to miss the end of this epic game is infuriating.  Back to DirecTV for me.  At least I'm fully aware of all of their ineptitude and already have the workabounds, and it costs less.

Cable Expert
Moved:

Re: Missed end of Saints-Vikings Game --UNACCEPTABLE!!!

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Frequent Visitor

This was really bad... There is no way that Xfinity can ever replace what would have been one of the epic sport moments.  I, also feel, that this is no way to treat customers.  Xfinity should accept responsibility, make an apology and assure us that this will never happen again.

Come on Xfinity... It's time to step up.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the apparent well-meaning suggestion. (Sorry, but after reading someone's response after my local Weatherscan channel was taken away that the Weather Channel provided the same thing when they often have these shows on so you can't even get "Local on the 8s" for hours it's hard to know if a response is well-meaning or just that of a Comcast apologist practicing denial/minimization marketing techniques.) However, it doesn't fly. First, I already knew that (I've even posted before to help people recording shows on AFTER football games not miss their shows). Second, the recording was already extended 1/2 hour so recording a 1/2 hour show after the sheduled ending would've resulted in the same thing. Third, while I have Auto Pad recordings set to on, it doesn't work like it should. When this feature first showed up in Comcast Labs it would automatically pad all recordings by a minute on each end so when recording consecutive shows you wouldn't miss anything. Now it doesn't work like that so I still could've missed a final play in the several seconds gap between recording consecutive shows (I think - maybe they've adjusted this since I last checked but not to my knowledge). Fourth, I was recording a whole series, the NFL Playoffs, so you're saying I should never record a sports series but have to always record every single game individually so I can see the ending time and what show(s) are on next so I can record them - not exactly convenient. Fifth, they offer the option to extend individual shows - 90 minutes for live events - but this option, the recording option change I use by far the most (and I would guess most/all sports fans do and is likely by far the most used in general) is the last option on the list and thus the hardest to change. Sixth, 90 minutes is not nearly enough. NHL playoff games can easily run more than 90 minutes over. And what am I suppoesed to do for MLB games, record every single show for 8 hours after the scheduled end of 162 games in case of extra innings and rain delays? Seventh, I've seen extending recordings do quirky things before. Okay, I think I've more than made my case. Comcast still has a lot of work to do to fix their user interface.

Silver Problem Solver

I agree with you that it would be nice to have a simple solution.

I am just saying that Comcast is not going to change their interface, so it's up to the customer to find a workaround.

I gave up looking for a solution years ago and just started recording the show after sporting events. So far I have not missed anything.

Regular Visitor

That’s the problem....I used to record shows after a game just to make sure I caught the whole game.  But when Comcast switched to the X1 plateform (and I upgraded my equipment), they did away with the option to add extra time to the recording.  Instead they implemented their auto pad feature.  Which lulls users into thinking they will see the entire game - even if it goes into extra time, innings, rain delays, etc.  It’s s simple feature and has no bearing on what the networks do.  Someone at Comcast dropped the ball.  That’s it.  They messed up!!!  They should fess up to their mistake and rebroadcast the game in its entirety.  I know that they would have to pay the NFL to rebroadcast the game but I paid to see the game, the whole game, and was denied that.   Barbie123, you say its up to the customer to find a workaround.  If that’s the case, then go back to the original interface and do away with the auto pad feature!

New Poster

I know! And even worse, when I turned on the TV to watch the game the main display told me the Vikings won on the last play. Which I never saw!!!

New Poster

Excuse me but Comcast tells us the recording will be automaticall extended. I had always added time when I was on an earlier version of Xfinity. They should not offer what they can't do.

Frequent Visitor

Bnjsween, first just to be clear let me explain that you're mixing 2 terms here. Auto pad, as used by Comcast/X1 and thus by me in this thread, refers to adding a small amount of time to the beginning & end of recordings so that customers won't miss the beginning/end of shows that didn't start/finish exactly on time (which also meant there wouldn't be a gap when recording consecutive shows on the same channel), and nothing to do with sports. The feature involving extending the recording of sporting events was called Auto Extend, although they seem to have abandoned using a specific term to describe this anymore. Just wanted to be clear about what I meant when using terms. But you are totally right. When Comcast says on the Options screen for an event they will automatically extend the recording of the event if it runs long  so you won't miss the end and then they don't that's called LYING!!!!! Now with regards to rebroadcasting the game I am pretty sure NFL network will carry rebroadcasts - but to me it's completely irrelevant. I missed what I've heard called one of the greatest sports moments in history and we deserve an apology and compensation.

Cable Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

Yes, I meant to say AUTO EXTEND.  Thanks for clarifying that 😊.  True, I feel completely robbed from seeing the greatest game ...in my opinion.  I’m originally from Mankato, MN and watched the Vikings every summer during training camp at the college there - the same college that Adam Thielen attended.  Completely bummed .....and outraged at Comcast!!!!!

Cable Expert
Moved:

Cable Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Barbie123 That's because you are making bad assumptions, and not familiar with the feature they have that is not working properly.  The absurd part is to assume they would have to monitor millions of dvrs to do this right.  If they can't handle the auto extend, they should not have it, period.  To have it, then not execute it properly, is awful customer service.

Frequent Visitor

I see that Comcast has removed a few posts from this thread so they are clearly aware of it -- yet I don't see them posting an apology to us who missed the end of the game. Any chance, Comcast? Please!!!

Service Expert
Moved:

Administrator
Administrator

We apologize for the missed DVR auto-extend… The reason for the incident was a technical glitch on the systems that tell DVRs to extend their recordings when games are not yet over. We are working diligently to mitigate this kind of issue in the future. We realize that it is better to over extend recordings than to under extend.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats