Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Major problems with X1 box and remote

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Major problems with X1 box and remote

I just received a new X1 set-top box and remote. Unfortunately, as with much that is Comcast, it seems to be nearly useless. The remote will not turn off the cable box, which breaks the automatic switch box controlling the rest of my media center.

Worse, since the box doesn't turn off, I cannot turn it back on again with the remote. After a few minutes idle, the box disconnects from cable as far as I can tell, as turning it back on presents a solid blue screen and does nothing until I physically turn it off and on.

Is there a fix for this, or do I demand my old box back? Either way, I expect a refund for the $50 "installation fee" that Comcast charged me. I did the installation myself, and only called Comcast because they sent me a broken cable box for one TV, and the wrong one for the other.

Accepted Solution

Re: Major problems with X1 box and remote

This issue has nothing to do with power savings. The smart switch I'm referring to is the same device that every gamer has in their home. It plugs into the HDMI port on the television, and switches between active devices. Since the Comcast DVR never stops broadcasting on the HDMI port, it's always active, and I have to turn it off manually to allow my Xbox, PS4, etc. to gain control.

But more importantly, it would not turn back on in the morning unless I turned off the box and let it sit idle for a few minutes. This is a huge step backwards from the previous model.

I've solved my issue by giving the Comcast PVR a dedicated HDMI port, and moving my switchbox to the other, but I should not have to do this. Every other media device I own, including a TIVO, Apple TV, and multiple game systems, correctly release the HDMI port when powered down.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like you have a bad box...

However even if your X1 box was working properly, it won't turn the box off from remote unless you go into the menu.

Cheshyr wrote:

I just received a new X1 set-top box and remote. Unfortunately, as with much that is Comcast, it seems to be nearly useless. The remote will not turn off the cable box, which breaks the automatic switch box controlling the rest of my media center.

Worse, since the box doesn't turn off, I cannot turn it back on again with the remote. After a few minutes idle, the box disconnects from cable as far as I can tell, as turning it back on presents a solid blue screen and does nothing until I physically turn it off and on.

Is there a fix for this, or do I demand my old box back? Either way, I expect a refund for the $50 "installation fee" that Comcast charged me. I did the installation myself, and only called Comcast because they sent me a broken cable box for one TV, and the wrong one for the other.

Service Expert

Cheshyr wrote:

like your clock radio, the power is always 'on' for your DVR else it could not do its job. the pressing of the power button just puts it in energy saver mode. The power LED goes off then, as does the video/sound output on the HDMI out port. note that the savings is approximately 1 watt and that equates to around a whole $1/year. In the menu system the power light can be turned off (as I did mine). The use of a smart sensor type of outlet to see the power reduction of power save mode might not be sensitive enough to see that power shut down but couldn't you use the TV reduction in power when it goes off to signal the rest of the home entertainment system via a smart switch?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

This issue has nothing to do with power savings. The smart switch I'm referring to is the same device that every gamer has in their home. It plugs into the HDMI port on the television, and switches between active devices. Since the Comcast DVR never stops broadcasting on the HDMI port, it's always active, and I have to turn it off manually to allow my Xbox, PS4, etc. to gain control.

But more importantly, it would not turn back on in the morning unless I turned off the box and let it sit idle for a few minutes. This is a huge step backwards from the previous model.

I've solved my issue by giving the Comcast PVR a dedicated HDMI port, and moving my switchbox to the other, but I should not have to do this. Every other media device I own, including a TIVO, Apple TV, and multiple game systems, correctly release the HDMI port when powered down.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I was wondering how much the power save actually saves since the box stays just as warm as when it's on.  It is a lot cooler than the old Moto, so hopefully it will save a few bucks over a year.

Service Expert

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/set-top-box-energy-usage

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation