online now

discussions

Locking DVR Recordings to Prevent Deletion

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 7

Is there any way to lock recordings from being deleted on the X1?  I have a toddler and have several of his favorite episodes of his shows saved.  When the recording ends, a box pops up defaulting to "Delete Now".  If he happens to get the remote, it's really easy to delete the program.  It would be nice if there was a way to require a pin number to delete the recording.  

If that's not possible, is there a way to make that delete box go away and have it go back to the channel it was on?  Currently, that delete box stays on indefinitely and the X1 goes to a screensaver.  On the old Motorola DVR's, the delete box would go away after about 30 seconds.  That would help prevent inadvertant deletions.  

6 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 7
Solution
Sorry no but anything that happens to get deleted can be recovered in the Recently Deleted folder

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 7

This is a badly needed feature. It is impossible to get people who refuse to not care if your programs are deleted to care. You are not going to change people's behaviors and so when you have something like a shared DVR system, you need ot have a way to protect people's programs from others in the house who will delete it no matter how many times you tell them.

In my case, I'm taking care of my father and he is retired. I have lost over 30 different recordings since moving to X1 because he will watch the shows before me and delete it. He doesn't acknowledge or know half the time. I already set a lock to prevent purchases because he couldn't handle that. I need a way to lock my shows so that he doesn't delete it.

Any suggestions to rollback to old tech or deal with it are not acceptable answers. I get that it might not be a top feature to work on, but it needs to be looked at from the human perspective. Older parents and young kids cannot be controlled.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 7
Have you looked in the recently deleted folder to recover the shows that were deleted? Recordings are not totally gone unless your father is emptying that too

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 7

If you don't notice it right away it is gone.  Is there a way to keep deleted items longer?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 7

How many do you have in the Deleted folder?

You might have an issue with the size of your cloud saved recordings.

https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings

Just a guess.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 7 of 7

Even though you can recover accidentally deleted recordings, you have to recover them 1 by 1. I had a family member delete an entire folder (150) episodes by accident. I had to recover each episode individually. 

This is is a huge flaw. Isn't there a way to maintain the ability to watch what you want in any room by having separate user profiles for each person? That way each box would share space and still have access to all of the programming with a user switch. (Similar to Netflix)