Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Local channels distortion with video and sound

New Poster

Local channels distortion with video and sound

Non-local channels appear fine (e.g. TBS, TLC, etc).  It is the local ones that appear to have problems where sound is breaking and the video signal 

behaves almost as if an antenna is pointed wrong direction.  Are others having this problem?

Watching same local channels from mobile devices while in home, no problems.  This started a few days ago.

Valued Contributor

Re: Local channels distortion with video and sound

Channels tiling is usually a sign of a signal issue or cable problem.  From your standpoint just double-check the connections to all your equipment to make sure the connectors are tight and snug.  A single loose connector can cause you all sorts of intermittent problems. 

If everything looks good and the problem continues you might want to have a service call as there are plenty of things that can cause your issue that are beyond what you can check yourself.  

Official Employee

@mcndev21 wrote:

Non-local channels appear fine (e.g. TBS, TLC, etc).  It is the local ones that appear to have problems where sound is breaking and the video signal 

behaves almost as if an antenna is pointed wrong direction.  Are others having this problem?

Watching same local channels from mobile devices while in home, no problems.  This started a few days ago.

You have multiple issue with all of your equipment.

The DVR's signal levels (and your modem) needs to be in a certain range to work properly. As it stands now, you DVR's upstream signal is out of range. Your modem's upstream signal is also out of range, and the downstream is barely in range. Your equipment also uses moca and it looks like your equipment may be interfered with by a neighbor. This may be what's causing your issues. You should have a tech out to ensure your unit has a POE filter from you and your neighbor's equipment from communicating. 

The sources for channels coming from mobile devices and your DVR are different, that's why you don't see any issue when watching on mobile.

if you need assistance getting a tech out, let us know.

Official Employee

Hello, I can assist you further from here. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.