Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Live Sports Awful

Regular Visitor

Live Sports Awful

I've had 2 techs out to look at this, and so I am resorting to this.
Live sports are not good on my TV. And by not good, even the techs say it should be way way better. Any movement from the pan camera is very pixelated and ghost like. When they zoom in close, it becomes very clear again! I even cancelled Xfinity last fall due to this.
So far the two techs I have had come out with the new install have replaced the box, added an amplifier, and I replaced the coax in my home. They both say the streaming measurements are fine, but both agree the picture is still not good. After they tinker around for 4 or 5 minutes, they say something to the tune of "sorry your TV is too nice." what?! I pay a lot of money for TV, mostly for sports. It's making me mad and sad!
If I stream ANYTHING from the internet to my TV, the picture is crystal clear. I've had to use apps on my Xbox to stream sports on to my TV for clarity. Any ideas? It's pretty frustrating.
Regular Contributor

Re: Live Sports Awful

Want clear sports? Put up an antenna, or switch to DirecTV.  I watch football on my antenna these days. Comcast, with their compression artifacts and limited bandwidth is just not up to the task.

Contributor

I have had the exact same problems ever since Comcast made me "upgrade" to the new Xfinity cable box about a year ago.The picture was better with the old box.And yes sports looks aweful.And I also had techs out to my house and all cable signals were good acording to them.But the picture still is bad.I even bought a new high end TV.No help.I still have 1 year left on my 2 year contract.But I am already leaning towards canceling early.Was checking out Direct TV. Probably will go with them.

Regular Visitor

Blah. Not promising. Do amplifiers really mess with clarity on these X1 boxes? The basement of my new home has an 8 way splitter that I just found. Of course, no techs even went to find it. Even if my signal is measuring well, could this be playing in to clarity?
Regular Contributor

No. It's digital. You'll have a signal, or you won't have a signal. What I see when the signal approaches acceptable limits is the picture will freeze, drop frames, the remote commands will be delayed, sound will go out of sync, and at a certain point, the X1 box will just error out altogether. What you don't see is any degradation in the picture (when you do get one).

Service Expert

MrScott1 wrote:

No. It's digital. You'll have a signal, or you won't have a signal. What I see when the signal approaches acceptable limits is the picture will freeze, drop frames, the remote commands will be delayed, sound will go out of sync, and at a certain point, the X1 box will just error out altogether. What you don't see is any degradation in the picture (when you do get one).

tt sure sounds like you have an issue with your connection somewhere.  There is a head-end at one end of my block and it is on a pole that the power company also uses.  At some time, the power people stepped on a coax connection on the head-end and it took two weeks to find it and repair it.  I also had squirrels chewing on my drop from the pole in my back yard to my home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Cable Expert

I've installed/repaired hundreds and hundreds of cable boxes over the years.  In my experience, some TV's just don't play well with Comcast's service. You can tweak settings, you can double check the signal, you can swap the box...sometimes the picture quality just isn't as good as it could be. And it's demonstrable. I've experienced TV's that were displaying less than optimal picture quality. When I swapped those TV's out for my test set - the same programming from the same box looks fine.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Yes. We had hurricane Irma blow right through my backyard. I can see damaged Comcast equipment and cables. What I can't do is get it fixed. I have to suffer through technicians that come to my house, scratch their heads, say there is an issue somewhere, then report back to Comcast that nobody was home, so I can start the process all over again until I finally get a conscientious tech.

That, however, has nothing to do with picture quality, as you know.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation