Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Is there any way to separate DVR recordings between different boxes?

New Poster

Is there any way to separate DVR recordings between different boxes?

I got Comcast/Xfinity cable yesterday (along with phone and internet) and when I signed up for the service, I was told that I could get separate DVR on each box which meant that DVR recordings on all boxes would be separate (i.e. recordings on one box would not appear on the other two boxes).

It was installed yesterday and apparently the person who took my order did not explain this to me properly. According to customer service, separate DVR just means that each box has its own storage space, which allows for more total storage space for recordings, but that all DVR recordings are still shared between all boxes.

Having separate recordings was a deal breaker for me and I told them this when I signed up so I don't know why they lied to me, other than to just get my business.

So is what they're telling me true? Is there absolutely no way to have completely separate DVR on each box?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Is there any way to separate DVR recordings between different boxes?

There is absolutely no way to have separate recordings on separate DVRs with the X1 platform. It’s a whole home system
Expert

Re: Is there any way to separate DVR recordings between different boxes?

@G-Ziss wrote:

I got Comcast/Xfinity cable yesterday (along with phone and internet) and when I signed up for the service, I was told that I could get separate DVR on each box which meant that DVR recordings on all boxes would be separate (i.e. recordings on one box would not appear on the other two boxes).

It was installed yesterday and apparently the person who took my order did not explain this to me properly. According to customer service, separate DVR just means that each box has its own storage space, which allows for more total storage space for recordings, but that all DVR recordings are still shared between all boxes.

Having separate recordings was a deal breaker for me and I told them this when I signed up so I don't know why they lied to me, other than to just get my business.

So is what they're telling me true? Is there absolutely no way to have completely separate DVR on each box?

yes. just put the lesser used outlet with a 'legacy' DVR (2 tuner). that way it will be fully separate from your other x1 set top boxes. another option is to acquire a cable card and a Tivo for that same outlet.