Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

How to test signal strength on X1

Frequent Visitor

How to test signal strength on X1

Hello,

I have seen this asked a few times, but they are all a few years old.

They did say something about holding the exit button down for three to five seconds...when I try this with my remotes (the version you can talk with) my screen flickers like you have pressed the button but never goes to any type of support or setup screen.

what do I do to test/look at the signal strength?

What if I just ignor testing and add a boster, would it harm anything?

thank you...

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: How to test signal strength on X1

tidenumone wrote:

Hello,

They did say something about holding the exit button down for three to five seconds...when I try this with my remotes (the version you can talk with) my screen flickers like you have pressed the button but never goes to any type of support or setup screen.

thank you...

1. Hold down exit button for more than 5 seconds
2. Press the down arrow twice
3. Press 2
4. Down to system and right arrow to page 5 of 9
Downstream received should be between 10 and -8
Downstream SNR should be over 35
Upstream Power should be between 35 and 51
It's a little tricky getting in, it may take a few tries

This only works on DVRs, XG2, and RNG150, XiD/Xi3 don't have levels to check.

What problems are you having?

Adding a random booster will do more harm than good.

All Replies
Official Employee

tidenumone wrote:

Hello,

thank you...

1. Hold down exit button for more than 5 seconds
2. Press the down arrow twice
3. Press 2
4. Down to system and right arrow to page 5 of 9
Downstream received should be between 10 and -8
Downstream SNR should be over 35
Upstream Power should be between 35 and 51
It's a little tricky getting in, it may take a few tries

This only works on DVRs, XG2, and RNG150, XiD/Xi3 don't have levels to check.

What problems are you having?

Adding a random booster will do more harm than good.

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

A) thank you for the quick response 

thank you for moving this question to the correct location 

C) I recently installed new equipment and while doing so it told me I had week signal.  At the time I by passed it because I had other things to do, but want to go back and see what needs to be done.  We had been getting some freeze screens and lockups before

D) I have heard before that just adding a boster when not needed is a bad thing...can you explain more why or point to a previous post where they did?

Official Employee

tidenumone wrote:

Hello,

A) thank you for the quick response 

thank you for moving this question to the correct location 

C) I recently installed new equipment and while doing so it told me I had week signal.  At the time I by passed it because I had other things to do, but want to go back and see what needs to be done.  We had been getting some freeze screens and lockups before

D) I have heard before that just adding a boster when not needed is a bad thing...can you explain more why or point to a previous post where they did?

Can you give a breakdown on how your cable is ran?Splitters etc.

Frequent Visitor

Sure - atttached is a picture of the splitter...

I have an eight way spiter, the main comes into the spliter and then goes out.  this has been setup this way for almost three years when the Comcast folks did the oginal install.  I am not upgrading all the cable to RG6U and 1Ghz connectors - which is why the questions now.  We also have new hardware, as it all had been the same that was installed three years ago.

Yes - the two ports are opened, the installer said blocks were not needed.

The splitter is also not powered.

How can I tell what the DB level is coming in on the main?

Splitter-2.jpgSplitter-1.jpg

Official Employee

tidenumone wrote:

Sure - atttached is a picture of the splitter...

I have an eight way spiter, the main comes into the spliter and then goes out.  this has been setup this way for almost three years when the Comcast folks did the oginal install.  I am not upgrading all the cable to RG6U and 1Ghz connectors - which is why the questions now.  We also have new hardware, as it all had been the same that was installed three years ago.

Yes - the two ports are opened, the installer said blocks were not needed.

The splitter is also not powered.

How can I tell what the DB level is coming in on the main?

Splitter-2.jpgSplitter-1.jpg

Replacing that splitter with a no loss amp will add about 10.5db back to your equipment, as noted on the face of the splitter. In effect your modem would go from -8 to + 2 and the dvr from a -6 to + 4, also making it easier for your other boxes to communicate to the dvr. Have a tech out to install one or track one down privately

Official Employee

Something like this.

IMG_0215.JPG
Frequent Visitor

Okay - yes, I have seen those online and prefer that method the having tech come onsite which tends to create more issues then they resolve.

I have tried to get to the signal stregth screen you reference with no luck. I have the HDTV only little boxes, does that make a difference? When I hold the exit button for 5 seconds (or longer) all it does it flash.

Jonathan
Official Employee

tidenumone wrote:
Okay - yes, I have seen those online and prefer that method the having tech come onsite which tends to create more issues then they resolve.

I have tried to get to the signal stregth screen you reference with no luck. I have the HDTV only little boxes, does that make a difference? When I hold the exit button for 5 seconds (or longer) all it does it flash.

Jonathan

The smaller XiDs don't have an internal modem like the dvr does, there are no signal levels to read. Each XiD uses a tuner from the dvr.

Frequent Visitor

okay - that explains why I only say the message when setting up the DVR.  I will try some more on that box.

Contributor

My XG2 shows the following signal levels on tuners 3 and 4. I dont believe that anything is borrowing tuner 3 and 4 from this box other than the one XiD that I have. I do have an XG1A DVR but that obviously doesnt borrow a tuner from the XG2. Is this normal ? Tuner 3 and 4 show the same power levels. I am not experiencing any service issues. It just looked abnormal to me. IMG_1874.jpg

Gold Problem Solver

That means tuner 3 and 4 are not locked on to a channel and essentially not in use. It's normal.
Contributor

Kind of what I figured. Thanks for confirming it RickGr4.
Official Employee
Moved: