Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How much space on an X1 DVR box?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

How much space on an X1 DVR box?

I just switched my old box for an X1-DVR box with cloud technology because I was continuously running out of room to store recorded programs. The Comcast service tech that installed the X1-DVR told me I should not be running out of recording space. However, when I go to the 'Saved" recordings, there is an indicator telling me what percentage of space on the DVR has been used (i.e., 14% used space with 11 recordings saved). What happens when 100% of the recording space has been used? I thought all the recordings were stored on the cloud and I wouldn't be running out of room with the X1 box. I've read everything I could find on the X1-DVR and can't find the answer. Am I missing something? Donna, Galveston, TX

Accepted Solution

Re: How much space on an X1 DVR box?

jenny19838 wrote:

So your saying its good for one year

if you manage your storaqe, you should never select for 1 year option....  jusy delete old recordings as necessary and you will never have a recorded asset disappear....

View answer in context
Official Employee

The hard drive is about 500 GB. Roughly 60 hours of HD programming and 300 hours of SD programming. The cloud is a mirror of what's on your dvr.

When you get to 100% the dvr will start erasing your oldest recordings that were recorded with the option " until space is needed". The other option is for 1 year

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I was impressed with the X! platform with cloud technology when I got the new X1-DVR. There are so many great features. However, the main problem I had was lack of hard drive space. I only just now learned I could have kept the old box and gotten an external hard drive to increase recording space. How much recording space was on the old Scientific Atlanta box, which is what I believe I had? Also, if I have an HDTV, can I record with the SD setting? 

Service Expert

The old RNG200\s also had 500GB.  You can only record a program if it is available in SD.  Some programs are available in SD only, or SD and HD.  Some channels are HD only.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

ddavis,

Sorry but this is nothing new. It is discussed in this forum daily. X1 boxes have 500gb. You cannot add an external drive. Cloud DVR does not add to that (which is ridiculous). X1 has many weak spots and this is one of the biggest.

The only way to increase X1 DVR storage at this time is to have more than one X1 DVR. Sorry to Comcast Teds but Comcast remains totally vague on their plans for additional recording storage.

Your TV has nothing to do with how your DVR records HD or SD. If you are willing to accept a degrade in picture quality just simply choose to record "SD Channel Only" when you set a recording.

ddavis55 wrote:

I was impressed with the X! platform with cloud technology when I got the new X1-DVR. There are so many great features. However, the main problem I had was lack of hard drive space. I only just now learned I could have kept the old box and gotten an external hard drive to increase recording space. How much recording space was on the old Scientific Atlanta box, which is what I believe I had? Also, if I have an HDTV, can I record with the SD setting? 

Frequent Visitor

I believe there is an option to get an HD box or SD box from Comcast, or is that obsolete now with the X1 platform? The HD DVR cost more per month than the regular DVR. WHY is there not more room for HD recordings?  This is why I bought an HD TV and why I paid more for an HD DVR.  That is a BIG difference between recording in HD with only 60 hours capacity and SD with 300 hours.

Frequent Visitor

I totally agree with your views on recording space, RickGr4.  Why would I buy and HDTV and not record in HD?  I've noticed that the X1 box does have much more space than my old box, and I like the fact that I can record more than 2 programs at a time.  But still, there is not enough space for recording in HD.  Even the technician that installed X1 believed the Cloud DVR would give the user unlimited recording space (he told me this). It was a big let down to find out otherwise. I hope Comcast is still working on some much needed improvements.

Gold Problem Solver

Nothing has changed. The only way to add recording storage space to X1 is to get additional DVRs.

Cloud DVR technology does not add to available recording space however Comcast is hinting they are getting ready to change this. But the additional recording space will not be free. Sorry but the tech you talked was wrong.

Considering additional recording space won't be free, this is just another reason why I pay extra for additional DVRs.

ddavis55 wrote:

I totally agree with your views on recording space, RickGr4.  Why would I buy and HDTV and not record in HD?  I've noticed that the X1 box does have much more space than my old box, and I like the fact that I can record more than 2 programs at a time.  But still, there is not enough space for recording in HD.  Even the technician that installed X1 believed the Cloud DVR would give the user unlimited recording space (he told me this). It was a big let down to find out otherwise. I hope Comcast is still working on some much needed improvements.

New Poster

Service Expert

jenny19838 wrote:

if you manage your storaqe, you should never select for 1 year option....  jusy delete old recordings as necessary and you will never have a recorded asset disappear....

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much.  Your answer was VERY helpful!

Frequent Visitor

I must be missing something. Please clue me in . When I record a show I watch it within two or three days and then delete it. 

Why would you keep 60 hours of recorded shows on your DVR? When would you have the time to watch all those shows?

Also older shows are available ON Demand so again why keep them on your DVR ???

Service Expert

thinman wrote:

I must be missing something. Please clue me in . When I record a show I watch it within two or three days and then delete it. 

Why would you keep 60 hours of recorded shows on your DVR? When would you have the time to watch all those shows?

Also older shows are available ON Demand so again why keep them on your DVR ???

One reason is that it is easier to fast forward and rewind the DVR.  On Demand has a set time it goes forward and backward.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Again,I am just want to understand why you would keep a show on your DVR once you have viewed it ???

Frequent Visitor

I personally record everything I watch.  Not fond of watching commercials on "live" TV.  When programs are recorded in HD (and why would I not after getting an HDTV and an HD-DVR?) there's just not enough recording space. I guess I watch more than a few programs a week!  X1 has a lot more recording space .... I didn't even run out of space when I was on vacation for 2 weeks.  

Frequent Visitor

I don't save anything I've recorded and watched...I delete it right away.

Silver Problem Solver

thinman wrote:

Again,I am just want to understand why you would keep a show on your DVR once you have viewed it ???

Two words:

Personal Preference.

I keep the last 5 episodes of all my shows stored, after that it auto deletes the oldest episode of the show automatically. Sure my DVR is at about 90+% full but I do watch things as soon as they record so it's no big deal if something deletes to make more room.

Service Expert

John3758 wrote:

Two words:

Personal Preference.

I keep the last 5 episodes of all my shows stored, after that it auto deletes the oldest episode of the show automatically. Sure my DVR is at about 90+% full but I do watch things as soon as they record so it's no big deal if something deletes to make more room.

Thank you John     !!!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I was told by comcast that you can only have one x1 dvr box in the house. Trying to add more than one would cause conflicts with how the platform works. It's nice to be able to access recordings from any device but it sucks that you cannot pause or record programs locally on the extra boxes.
New Poster

I was told by comcast that you can only have one x1 dvr box in the house. Trying to add more than one would cause conflicts with how the platform works. It's nice to be able to access recordings from any device but it sucks that you cannot pause or record programs locally on the extra boxes.

RickGr4 wrote:

Nothing has changed. The only way to add recording storage space to X1 is to get additional DVRs.

Cloud DVR technology does not add to available recording space however Comcast is hinting they are getting ready to change this. But the additional recording space will not be free. Sorry but the tech you talked was wrong.

Considering additional recording space won't be free, this is just another reason why I pay extra for additional DVRs.

ddavis55 wrote:

Service Expert

JayGee1 wrote:

The number of DVR's is determined by the market policy...  I have 2 DVR's and know some that have 3...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

If you get the Xi3 companion, it has the trick play (pause, rr, ff).

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

With comcast announcing that mpeg2 will be changed to mpeg4 on more channels the recording 'space' in hours will take a pretty big jump as mpeg4 files are much smaller with same data encoded. I don't think this is off topic based on space (500 GB per DVR).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Hopefully they move all areas to MPEG4 quickly and replace ancient MPEG2

Contributor

What areas have been announced for the mpeg4 switch? How much space should this add? I'm nervous about this fall with only 60 hours of HD storage. I had direct last year and had 200 hours of space. So I'm nervous how this will work.
Contributor

Why not use On Demand?  The fact that MOST channels turn fast forward off, meaning I can't skip commercials.  Also the selection of episodes for series can be spotty.  I wanted to pick up the first year of something recently and On Demand had the first three episodes and the last three.  The middle of the series was missing.  This makes binge-watching problematic, actually impossible.  For me On Demand is just a way to pick up something that I missed recently, usually because the episode wasn't coded as new, also ocasionally because a recorded show is unwatchable for technical reasons.  On Demand could be a terrific thing but Comcast won't let it be terrific.  Some of this might turn on licensing, but it's far more likely that Comcast won't pay for a big enough server farm.

New Poster

Kids, thinman. Kids will watch the same episodes a half dozen times before they're tires of it. And then 2 months later they want to watch it again.
Contributor

bowgy4 wrote:
Kids, thinman. Kids will watch the same episodes a half dozen times before they're tires of it. And then 2 months later they want to watch it again.

Your kids must be older.  Younger todlers will watch some shows multiple times a day, every day for long periods of time.

Contributor

Andrew,

Do you understand the rationale for mirroring the shows on my internal disk to the cloud?  How could this benefit me?  Is this to allow me to restore the shows if my DVR's hard disk fails (a classic backup & restore scenario), or is there some other case where having this mirror backup will be useful to me?  As I type it suddenly occurs to me that there has been talk about letting us download shows to other devices.  Is that what the mirror is for?  If I wanted to grab some shows to my Kindle Fire, or my smart phone, would those come from the cloud?  I may have answered my own question.  But all of this still looks like Comcast is using the Cloud in the least useful way possible.  The ideal would probably be to have a new option when recording so we could opt to save a show to the internal disk only, the Cloud only, or to both, with different retention at both locations.  Anything that is purely transitory, like news and weather, or the more brainless comedy and cop shows would go to disk only and be deleted as soon as they are watched.  But shows with some depth to them (Fargo? Mr. Robot?) might be directed to both.  I would watch them locally when they're new, and delete the local copy, but have the stuff on the Cloud stick around longer for binge watching.  (We wouldn't actually need any of this stuff if On Demand functioned like an extension of the DVR.  If Comcast would keep EVERYTHING around, and let us skip the commercials, On Demand could make the cloud irrelevant.)  I know, this is Comcast that we're talking about.  

Service Expert

The Cloud allows this website to work, as an example.  It is getting its source from recordings saved to the cloud.

https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

As I type it suddenly occurs to me that there has been talk about letting us download shows to other devices. Is that what the mirror is for? If I wanted to grab some shows to my Kindle Fire, or my smart phone, would those come from the cloud? I may have answered my own question.

yes you pretty much answered your own question. And who knows how the use of the cloud will evolve in the future.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Interesting.  I went to xtv.comcast.net and signed one of my computers up.  At first it looked like the site was unable to push graphic icons for the shows up to the screen.  Saved and On Demand presented themselves as grids of grey boxes on a black background.  I thought this might be  a problem with Chrome, my browser, so I brought up Edge, Microsoft's new browser, and things looked a lot better.  But when I went back to Chrome to shut it down the icons were there too. Puzzling.  Also puzzling is the fact that the Saved page on the web doesn't look much like Saved/Recordings on the DVR.  Shouldn't they be the same?  Only 'Shades of Blue' is on both lists.  

I have had a problem for the last six months or so that things I never ordered from Pay per View keep popping up on my bills.  On the most recent bill there were two WWE shows at $44.99 each!  In previous months I have had kids' shows that I never ordered.  I don't have kids and live alone.  And I also never watch wrestling shows.  I was thinking that this web interface might be how the Pay per View stuff was getting selected for me, but I wasn't seeing anything on the web interface that cost money.  And Parental Controls on the web doesn't have an option for adding a purchase-pin.  

Do you know of any way that a third party could be ordering pay per view for me, other than creeping into my apartment while I sleep?  I added a purchase-pin to my DVR on 12-21 but the WWE shows were ordered on 12-27.  I was visiting my brother over Christmas so I can't guarantee that somebody didn't break into my apartment while I was gone.  But I don't really believe that that's what happened.  The "pin challenge" option under Parental Controls does not show anybody trying to buy stuff on the DVR.  It even records successful pin entries.  Of course, I don't know how long the record of a  "pin challenge" persists, so I don't know if that means anything.  Any thoughts?

Service Expert

If you are in an apartment, there may be an issue with other X1 customers in the apartment.

If so, you need to call Comcast tech support.

1-877-896-8678

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I've been away in U-verse land for the last 3 years and will be returning to Comcast (Houston, Texas) in a couple of weeks.

I ordered 1 X1 Cloud DVR and 3 X1 HD Service units.  I just looked at my order, and there are no details regarding the equipment I will be receiving.

I'm thinking 500GB (60 hours of HD video) will not be sufficient for our household.  So I'm thinking I should change one of the "HD Service Units" to a "X1 Cloud DVR".

Will the 4 devices (2 DVRs and 2 HD Service units) be able to display what is on the 2 DVRs?

What does the "Cloud" provide as storage?  Does the "Cloud" have anything to do with storage?

Thanks

Service Expert

truerock2 wrote:

I've been away in U-verse land for the last 3 years and will be returning to Comcast (Houston, Texas) in a couple of weeks.

I ordered 1 X1 Cloud DVR and 3 X1 HD Service units.  I just looked at my order, and there are no details regarding the equipment I will be receiving.

I'm thinking 500GB (60 hours of HD video) will not be sufficient for our household.  So I'm thinking I should change one of the "HD Service Units" to a "X1 Cloud DVR".

Will the 4 devices (2 DVRs and 2 HD Service units) be able to display what is on the 2 DVRs?

What does the "Cloud" provide as storage?  Does the "Cloud" have anything to do with storage?

Thanks

x1 equipment for TV is either a DVR or a companion box. All X1 set top boxes will share the recorded assets on the DVR (can schedule, watch, and/or delete them). 

The cloud service is separate from and your local equipment does not have any part in the cloud dvr recordings. indeed, you can unplug all x1 dvr's and companion boxes and cloud dvr will record as you have set up in the schedule. There is no charge for cloud DVR if available in your market area (includes streaming to any device in your home as sell as ability to download recorded programs to your smart devices).

each DVR is 500gB in size. If your market allows multiple DVRs then the total size is based on how many DVRs you have. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I would have given you a "kudo" except I guess that function isn't supported with Internet Explorer 11

...Oh... the "kudo" showed up... it took about 2 minutes.

...oh wow... now you have 3 kudos.  I clicked on the kudo button about 100 times

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats