Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How many Xi3 companion box can connect to XG1?

ANSWERED
New Poster

How many Xi3 companion box can connect to XG1?

I have 5 TV/Room in the house, when I placed the order online, it allow me to add 1 DVR, and 4 Companion Boxes.  When the tech got to my house, he said you can only have 3 Xi3 companion boxes for 1 XG1 DVR, and that's the limit.  He tried to add the 4th one and it just won't activate.

So I opt for another XG1 DVR to complete the 5th room installation.  My question is, since the XG1 has 6 tuners now, why can't I have 4 Xi3 install with 1 XG1?  Is 3 really the limit?  Also, by adding another XG1 DVR, will I be paying $20 instead of $9.95?

Thanks for any info!

Accepted Solution

Re: How many Xi3 companion box can connect to XG1?

Comcast designed the system to allow a max of 3 Xi3s per DVR to make sure there is at least a couple of tuners left to record.  Instead of adding a 2nd DVR, the tech could have used an XG2.  That is a non-DVR with 4 tuners.  The Xi3s would take tuners from there, leaving the DVR tuners for recording (and the TV it's connected to).  But at least with 2 DVRs you have more recording capacity, which seems to be a big issue on X1.

On another note, I'm concerned that there are techs out there doing installs that don't know the rules of the system.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

Comcast designed the system to allow a max of 3 Xi3s per DVR to make sure there is at least a couple of tuners left to record.  Instead of adding a 2nd DVR, the tech could have used an XG2.  That is a non-DVR with 4 tuners.  The Xi3s would take tuners from there, leaving the DVR tuners for recording (and the TV it's connected to).  But at least with 2 DVRs you have more recording capacity, which seems to be a big issue on X1.

On another note, I'm concerned that there are techs out there doing installs that don't know the rules of the system.

Official Employee

apexi350z wrote:

I have 5 TV/Room in the house, when I placed the order online, it allow me to add 1 DVR, and 4 Companion Boxes.  When the tech got to my house, he said you can only have 3 Xi3 companion boxes for 1 XG1 DVR, and that's the limit.  He tried to add the 4th one and it just won't activate.

So I opt for another XG1 DVR to complete the 5th room installation.  My question is, since the XG1 has 6 tuners now, why can't I have 4 Xi3 install with 1 XG1?  Is 3 really the limit?  Also, by adding another XG1 DVR, will I be paying $20 instead of $9.95?

Thanks for any info!

In some markets 3 is the limit. Instead of a DVR ( and paying the extra $20) you could have and should have had installed an XG2 ( best option, if available) or an RNG 150 for a the $9.95.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you all for the replies.  If XG2 is an option, and cost less, I may just go to the service center and exchange the 2nd X1 DVR for the XG2. 

I agreed the technician should've given me this option when he was here, when he realized the 4th Xi3 was not going to be activated.

Service Expert

The XG2 would then provide the tuners freeing up all the X1 dvrs. for satellites you would have xg2, xi3 x 3. some on this board have xg2's instead of xi3's.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Are XG2 boxes voice remote compatible?  And what about RNG150 boxes?  Are they compatible with voice remotes?

Official Employee

XG2-yes
RNG150-no

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation