Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How do I turn off the power saving notification?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

How do I turn off the power saving notification?

I have all notifications turned off except for My Account.  Yet, every morning when I turn on my TV and X1, I get this Power Saving notification telling me how many hours the X1 box has been "saving power".  After over a year using X1, I think I know the drill and I REALLY don't need this notification.

The biggest annoyance for me is:  (1) The X1 box only shows the time of day, not the channel number, so (2) after turning on the TV, I automatically press Info on the remote to see what channel and show I'm watching, which leads to (3) now I see the Power Saving notification in full screen mode.

How do I make it stop?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: How do I turn off the power saving notification?

X1 boxes are much like a cable modem. They are designed to remain turned on 24-7-365. X1 boxes draw very little power to begin with and the difference in power drain between on and off is barely 10%.

Leave the X1 box on and forget about it.
View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Turn off the power save mode. X1 boxes draw very little power to begin with and the power save mode saves only 10%.

CaptRandy wrote:

I have all notifications turned off except for My Account.  Yet, every morning when I turn on my TV and X1, I get this Power Saving notification telling me how many hours the X1 box has been "saving power".  After over a year using X1, I think I know the drill and I REALLY don't need this notification.

The biggest annoyance for me is:  (1) The X1 box only shows the time of day, not the channel number, so (2) after turning on the TV, I automatically press Info on the remote to see what channel and show I'm watching, which leads to (3) now I see the Power Saving notification in full screen mode.

How do I make it stop?  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply!  It looks like I can only delay the Power Saving mode.  My only options are to have it go into power saving mode when I turn off the cable box or after 1 - 8 hours delay.  So, I expect I'll still see the notification in the morning if the cable box is inactive all night.  Unless I'm missing something....

I really want this notification GONE since is serves no useful purpose.

Gold Problem Solver

Are you talking about an X1 box?  I just checked and there is a power save off selection.

CaptRandy wrote:

Thanks for the reply!  It looks like I can only delay the Power Saving mode.  My only options are to have it go into power saving mode when I turn off the cable box or after 1 - 8 hours delay.  So, I expect I'll still see the notification in the morning if the cable box is inactive all night.  Unless I'm missing something....

I really want this notification GONE since is serves no useful purpose.

Service Expert

Image result for x1 power save option

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have the X1 box.

Here's what I'm doing:  xfinity button | gear (settings) | Device Settings | Power Preferences.  What I'm seeing is "Power Saver Starts After" and the choices are:  Off, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, and 8 hours.

I think you are seeing "Off" as turning Power Saver mode off completely.  I'm wondering if "Off" really means when you turn the X1 box off, it goes into power saving mode immediately (no delay).  I have always had it set to "Off" on all my Xfinity boxes and they ALL report power savings when I turn them on (whether overnight or only for a few hours).  And yes, when I turn off my TV I also physically turn off the X1 box -- don't like the light shining when trying to sleep.

Last night, I set the Power Saver mode to 8 hours and I got a notification when I turned the box on a little while ago of about 15 hours of savings even though (according to my calcs) it should have only reported about 5 hours.  Strange.

Anyway, I'm thinking there is no way to disable either the Power Savings mode or the associated notification.  Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes are much like a cable modem. They are designed to remain turned on 24-7-365. X1 boxes draw very little power to begin with and the difference in power drain between on and off is barely 10%.

Leave the X1 box on and forget about it.
Service Expert

CaptRandy wrote:

Yes, I have the X1 box.

Here's what I'm doing:  xfinity button | gear (settings) | Device Settings | Power Preferences.  What I'm seeing is "Power Saver Starts After" and the choices are:  Off, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, and 8 hours.

I think you are seeing "Off" as turning Power Saver mode off completely.  I'm wondering if "Off" really means when you turn the X1 box off, it goes into power saving mode immediately (no delay).  I have always had it set to "Off" on all my Xfinity boxes and they ALL report power savings when I turn them on (whether overnight or only for a few hours).  And yes, when I turn off my TV I also physically turn off the X1 box -- don't like the light shining when trying to sleep.

Last night, I set the Power Saver mode to 8 hours and I got a notification when I turned the box on a little while ago of about 15 hours of savings even though (according to my calcs) it should have only reported about 5 hours.  Strange.

Anyway, I'm thinking there is no way to disable either the Power Savings mode or the associated notification.  Thanks!

the 'off' setting is the disabled condition of the power saver. Can you capture the screen when you see the notice again?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I currently have the Power Saving feature turned Off.  I'll take a screen shot of the notification tomorrow.

IMG_1300.JPG

New Poster

@RickGR4 you keep re-iterating the same answers in several posts, yet you fail to see the users’ problem.

I am having the same issue as CaptRandy and others. The “Power Saver Starts After” feature is set to “Off”, yet the box continues to perform Power Save after a certain amount of time.
Gold Problem Solver

I suggest that users experiencing this issue try a few different things:

Go into the X1 settings under Comcast Labs and verify that HDMI Link is turned off.

Also I would try going into the TVs settings and verify that any HDMI CEC settings are turned off.

I would also make sure that if the TV has any ECO or power save settings that they are turned off.

Frequent Visitor

I turned off the X1 (DVR) box both with the remote and then with the power button on the box at around 11PM last night.  I turned it on again around 2PM today and got the Power Saving notification (see screenshot).  I then turned the box off with the remote, but this time did not use the power button on the box.  When I turned it on a little while ago (after about 4 hours), it did NOT display the Power Saving notification.  So, it appears the Power Saving settings only work if you leave the X1 boxes on 24/7.  If you physically turn off the box, you'll always get the notification when you turn it back on.

For me, leaving the X1 boxes on all the time is not an option no matter how little energy they use.  Since Comcast doesn't have a way to disable this particular notification, I guess I'm stuck.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

IMG_1302.JPG

Gold Problem Solver

"For me, leaving the X1 boxes on all the time is not an option no matter how little energy they use."

Why?

CaptRandy wrote:

I turned off the X1 (DVR) box both with the remote and then with the power button on the box at around 11PM last night.  I turned it on again around 2PM today and got the Power Saving notification (see screenshot).  I then turned the box off with the remote, but this time did not use the power button on the box.  When I turned it on a little while ago (after about 4 hours), it did NOT display the Power Saving notification.  So, it appears the Power Saving settings only work if you leave the X1 boxes on 24/7.  If you physically turn off the box, you'll always get the notification when you turn it back on.

For me, leaving the X1 boxes on all the time is not an option no matter how little energy they use.  Since Comcast doesn't have a way to disable this particular notification, I guess I'm stuck.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

IMG_1302.JPG

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

"For me, leaving the X1 boxes on all the time is not an option no matter how little energy they use."

Why?

Simple really -- Comcast offers that option (to turn off the X1 boxes) and I choose to use it.

Frequent Visitor

I selected the response from RickGr4 as the best solution given how Comcast programs their boxes.

Even if you have all notifications turned off, you still get a notification about Power Savings -- which I consider a bug in their s/w.  So, it looks like you have 2 options -- (1) Set the Power Saving mode to Off and do not use the power button on the box to turn off the X1 or (2) just live with these annoying notifications.

Thanks for the replies!

Service Expert

CaptRandy wrote:

I selected the response from RickGr4 as the best solution given how Comcast programs their boxes.

Even if you have all notifications turned off, you still get a notification about Power Savings -- which I consider a bug in their s/w.  So, it looks like you have 2 options -- (1) Set the Power Saving mode to Off and do not use the power button on the box to turn off the X1 or (2) just live with these annoying notifications.

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm.  FYI, all five of my X1 boxes are set with Power Save off but I NEVER use the box power button.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

This issue started March 2, 2018 on one of my XG1v4 boxes.  Power saver feature has always been "off," but now it notifies me every time I turn the TV on.  There is now a 15 second period when the input on the TV shows no signal until the v4 box decides to come out of sleep.  The bigger problem is, sometime overnight, it powers "on" the soundbar, probably when it goes into saver mode.

Never happened before, now it's uncontrollable.  I don't want to have to disable HDMI control, that suggestion stinks.

Service Expert

@LeeSoFL wrote:

This issue started March 2, 2018 on one of my XG1v4 boxes.  Power saver feature has always been "off," but now it notifies me every time I turn the TV on.  There is now a 15 second period when the input on the TV shows no signal until the v4 box decides to come out of sleep.  The bigger problem is, sometime overnight, it powers "on" the soundbar, probably when it goes into saver mode.

Never happened before, now it's uncontrollable.  I don't want to have to disable HDMI control, that suggestion stinks.

the set top boxes are designed to stay on 24/7. Not sure why you don't want to disable the set top box HDMI link. the signal from the set top box would then be like an antenna input and always be available.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation