Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How do I turn off the CC closed captioning?

SOLVED
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 19 of 32
I have the XR2,remote. Suddenly the closed captioning has appeared and randomly jumps around the screen. Does anyone have this issue and know how to resolve if ?
31 REPLIES
Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 32
How do I turn off the sub titles or closed captioning. It is on all the 300 movie channels and is driving me nuts. I can't figure it out  Help please!
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 32
If you have a Motorola cable box, see this site.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 3 of 32
Thank you very much, that worked
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 32
That wikibook is a very good source of info for the Motorola boxes.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 5 of 32

pls tell me how to turn off/on sub title by remove. I can't find the subtitle switch after switching on the menu button.

thanks

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 6 of 32

Read the referenced link in the second post.  You have to turn off the Motorola box with the remote, and then hit the menu button.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 7 of 32

I did switch off the motorola box, then when I hit the menu on the remote, nothing coming out on the screen. Could you pls provide me with detailed step by step instruction? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 8 of 32

See this

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 32

thanks for your info.

I still didn't look out the solution. I just can saw the show on TV: "DCT 2000 diagnostics 01;~19” according to your suggestion but the menu was not adjust. The menu listed 04 iterm displays the subtitle statue: Enabled: NO   iso lang:----.

Pls help me to how to solve the problem.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 32

Have you tried just turning off the Closed Captioning on your television remote? If you have the DCT2000 that is a SD cable box and looking at the manual I didn't see anything about a closed captioning function on that box.

Look on your television remote and see if there is a button for Closed Captioning. Turn on the tv and press that until it says CC OFF. It may be a menu setting on the television itself depending on your tv model. If your tv remote has a MENU button go into the television menus and look for a Closed Captioning feature. You should be able to turn if off from the tv.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 11 of 32

alicewang0413 wrote:

thanks for your info.

I still didn't look out the solution. I just can saw the show on TV: "DCT 2000 diagnostics 01;~19” according to your suggestion but the menu was not adjust. The menu listed 04 iterm displays the subtitle statue: Enabled: NO   iso lang:----.

Pls help me to how to solve the problem.

You are in the diag menu instead of the user menu.

To get in the user menu on a Motorola or Pace box, turn off the set top box with the remote, then press "menu".  The CC settings will be there in the user menu.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 32

Thanks for your helping.

I guess my TV may can't show the subtitle. My tv is Panasonic TC-34P700G.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 32

I did it but the CC menu is not appear on my TV.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 14 of 32

May I ask where you bought this tv? And how old is it? I was looking for it on the Panasonic US website to look up the manual and could not find that model. It is possible if it was purchased overseas that the Closed Captioning system may be different.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 32

Thank you anyway.

The TV was actually from China before 5 years. However I have to buy new tv in the location. Sould I deal with My old TV.....

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 16 of 32

You will have to check where you could get your old tv recycled. Most places will take it for recycling at a cost. You could ask wherever you buy your new tv if they take old tvs. Best Buy will sometimes take old tvs away for you but they have to deliver the new tv. You could also check with a local recycling agency about the options for getting rid of the old tv.

If you want to use your old tv yet you always could use it in another room if you wanted. But if you don't use a second box all you will get are the local channels over cable. Plus if you can't turn off the closed captioning, which should be on the tv itself not the cable box you have from the model number, then you could still keep it. It is your choice.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 32

If you haven't already figured it out - here you go.  The previous answers did not help me!

Hold down the cable and power buttons until screen goes black.  Hit the menu button and scroll down to disable closed captioning.  Press exit and you're done.

Getting to the black screen is kind of tricky, so just keep trying and it will eventually work.  Good luck!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 18 of 32

Thanks, you were right! It worked! It was driving us crazyyyyy! 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 20 of 32

To enable/disable Closed Captioning on X1 boxes:

1. Press the Down arrow button on the remote control to launch the Trick-play bar. 
  2. Scroll to the left to highlight and select the CC soft key to enable/disable Closed Captions.

OR

1. Press the Xfinity button on the remote control while viewing any screen to go to the Main Menu.
  2. Highlight Settings (Gear icon) and press OK.                                                                                                 CC1.png
  3. Highlight Accessibility Settings and press OK.                                                                                               CC2.png
  4. Highlight Closed Captioning.                                                                                                                                                                                           CC3.png
  5. Press OK to toggle the feature On or Off. If choosing On, then proceed to Closed Captioning Options and select your preferred settings (font size, color and formatting).                                                                                                                                                                                                CC4.png
  6. If you would like to choose your own font, background and window styling options, select Custom in the Closed Captioning Style field. If you wish to receive the Closed Captioning style chosen by the programmer for easy reading, switch the style to Auto.                                                                CC5.png
  7. Press Exit when finished. You must change the channel for the changes to take effect.

OR

Closed Captioning (CC) can now be turned on or off using the voice remote from XFINITY. Simply press and hold the microphone (Mic) button, and say "Turn on Closed Captioning" or "Turn off Closed Captioning.”

ALSO

Turn Closed Captioning On or Off While Watching a Program:

Every time the playback functionality options appear on-screen, a list of the accessibility settings currently enabled will be visible underneath the transport bar.

You can also check the status of accessibility settings directly from the playback controls. Reach the accessibility buttons by pressing down, and then the right or left arrows to reach the button of your choice.

If those options are collapsed, simply select the collapsed button, and it will expand to show all three accessibility buttons:

Video Description (D),

Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) and

Closed Captioning (CC).

For more information see here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-closed-captioning/

For non-X1 boxes see here: 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/How-do-I-turn-on-off-closed-captioning/m-p/1326155#M1872...

Edmundo    |    Technical Enthusiast

Posted by
Visitor

Message 21 of 32

Turn off closed captioning?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 22 of 32

bjb2- wrote:

Turn off closed captioning?

Take a look here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/enable-closed-captioning/

Or here if you have X1 :  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-closed-captioning

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 32

Help.  I have somehow turned on the closed caption on a Vizio TV Model M320VT.  I have gone into settings to correct the problem, but cannot cursor to the CC option in order to turn it off.  I tried both the Xfinity remote and the Vizio remote. I called Vizio and was told that the problem was not in the Vizio TV or remote, but that the closed caption was turned on through our Xfinity cable, probably on the cable box.  There is no CC option on the cable box, and so there is nothing I can turn off.  I have unplugged and restarted the Xfinity Cable, and the closed caption is still there. None of our other tvs, also with Xfinity, have this issue. I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help me???

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 24 of 32
Solution

schaferlois wrote:

Help.  I have somehow turned on the closed caption on a Vizio TV Model M320VT.  I have gone into settings to correct the problem, but cannot cursor to the CC option in order to turn it off.  I tried both the Xfinity remote and the Vizio remote. I called Vizio and was told that the problem was not in the Vizio TV or remote, but that the closed caption was turned on through our Xfinity cable, probably on the cable box.  There is no CC option on the cable box, and so there is nothing I can turn off.  I have unplugged and restarted the Xfinity Cable, and the closed caption is still there. None of our other tvs, also with Xfinity, have this issue. I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help me???

If you are referring to one of your X1 boxes, with your remote, arrow down 2 times and press OK

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 25 of 32

how to get rid of close caption grandson playing with remote and I need to close it out.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 26 of 32

buttons21 wrote:

how to get rid of close caption grandson playing with remote and I need to close it out.

Take a look here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/enable-closed-captioning/

Or here if you have X1 :  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-closed-captioning

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Visitor

Message 27 of 32

Ohhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU!  Simple, straight forward and easy for even ME to understand.  WORKS!!!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 28 of 32

No - this information does not work on my control.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 29 of 32

miinie wrote:

No - this information does not work on my control.

Do you have X1 or Legacy cable?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 32

I can't shut off cc when I hit set up nothing happens

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 31 of 32
BobLee,

Press the down arrow... Not the up arrow....
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 32 of 32

Hi miinie! Were you able to fix your issue with CC on your TV. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.