Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How can I tell if my DVR records locally or in the cloud?

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

How can I tell if my DVR records locally or in the cloud?

My X1 DVR is delivering many of my recordings with much pixalation and shows freezing at some point and I cannot watch the rest.  When the playback pauses where it froze, I cannot get the DVR to respond to stop or exit or anything for up several minutes.  

From reading the forums, it sounds like it is a HD issue and it has been suggested it needs to be replaced.  I am trying to determine if my recordings live on the DVR's hard drive or on the comcast cloud.  I've looked on my account online but I cannot find any name or model number to search.  I've looked on the back and there are a lot of white stickers with letters and number but none say model number or serial number.

Can anyone help me?  If my recordings are on the cloud, I'll take it in right away.  If they are on my DVR I'll try and watch am many as are watchable.  If they are on the cloud, I'll change it out right away.

Thanks for any anticipated help.

Accepted Solution

Re: How can I tell if my DVR records locally or in the cloud?

wrote:

My X1 DVR is delivering many of my recordings with much pixalation and shows freezing at some point and I cannot watch the rest.  When the playback pauses where it froze, I cannot get the DVR to respond to stop or exit or anything for up several minutes.  

From reading the forums, it sounds like it is a HD issue and it has been suggested it needs to be replaced.  I am trying to determine if my recordings live on the DVR's hard drive or on the comcast cloud.  I've looked on my account online but I cannot find any name or model number to search.  I've looked on the back and there are a lot of white stickers with letters and number but none say model number or serial number.

Can anyone help me?  If my recordings are on the cloud, I'll take it in right away.  If they are on my DVR I'll try and watch am many as are watchable.  If they are on the cloud, I'll change it out right away.

press the ok button while playing a recording. the title of the recording will appear in the upper left and the word DVR with or without a little cloud icon will be below the name

View answer in context
Service Expert

wrote:

press the ok button while playing a recording. the title of the recording will appear in the upper left and the word DVR with or without a little cloud icon will be below the name

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you Rustyben, I can see that, sadly, it is just DVR... I swear they told me it was recording in the cloud when I got this one as it was a concern at that time, when I was losing a lot of recorded shows.  

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and so quickly.  Have a good evening ;-)

m

Contributor

wrote:

"press the ok button while playing a recording. the title of the recording will appear in the upper left and the word DVR with or without a little cloud icon will be below the name"

I'm not sure this is true.  How come I can use my PC or phone with the Xfinitystream app and view all my recordings even with the DVR unplugged from a power source?  The title of the recording shows up with DVR under the title but no cloud icon appears near it. 

Can you explain where my recordings are coming from when the DVR is disconnected from power? I was told when I upgraded my existing equipment to X1 that the recordings are in the cloud.  So are my purchased movies.  They are always there regardless whether my DVR is unplugged or exchanged for a different one from what I was told and have experienced first hand.

Please read this link regarding cloud service:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Tags (1)
Service Expert

wrote:

wrote:

"press the ok button while playing a recording. the title of the recording will appear in the upper left and the word DVR with or without a little cloud icon will be below the name"

I'm not sure this is true.  How come I can use my PC or phone with the Xfinitystream app and view all my recordings even with the DVR unplugged from a power source?  The title of the recording shows up with DVR under the title but no cloud icon appears near it. 

Can you explain where my recordings are coming from when the DVR is disconnected from power? I was told when I upgraded my existing equipment to X1 that the recordings are in the cloud.  So are my purchased movies.  They are always there regardless whether my DVR is unplugged or exchanged for a different one from what I was told and have experienced first hand.

Please read this link regarding cloud service:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

the cloud DVR records at same time as your home DVR. For purposes of home DVR viewing it is a backup. when away from home or using a Roku in the home, the Cloud DVR is the only one available to view with its limit of 60 hours and a reported stereo only audio. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation