Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Have to restart X1 box once or twice a day

Frequent Visitor

Have to restart X1 box once or twice a day

Weird problem, started couple of months ago. After turning off the Toshiba HDTV for awhile, sometimes when I turn it back on there is no signal from the X1 box and after a few moments of waiting, I have to unplug and plug in the X1 box to reboot it. Then it works fine. Had customer service send some signals to it and was advised to switch box if it continued. It did and I got a replacement box yesterday. Today, I had the same problem after the TV was off for awhile. Signals are good when it's on, and if I leave the TV on for hours, the box stays up OK. Only after I turn off the TV does it happen. I have a good HDMI cable. Not sure what else to try.

Service Expert

Re: Have to restart X1 box once or twice a day

remarkability wrote:

Weird problem, started couple of months ago. After turning off the Toshiba HDTV for awhile, sometimes when I turn it back on there is no signal from the X1 box and after a few moments of waiting, I have to unplug and plug in the X1 box to reboot it. Then it works fine. Had customer service send some signals to it and was advised to switch box if it continued. It did and I got a replacement box yesterday. Today, I had the same problem after the TV was off for awhile. Signals are good when it's on, and if I leave the TV on for hours, the box stays up OK. Only after I turn off the TV does it happen. I have a good HDMI cable. Not sure what else to try.

does anyone press the 'power' button on the actual set top box? (that puts the box in instant power saver mode). do you have the power saver setting in device settings menu turned to off? It appears that the set top box is going into power standby mode and to the TV appears to not be there and the TV doesn't recheck until the set top box again handshakes on bootup. you can also just unplug and plug back in the HDMI connection plug (be sure you put in same jack).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

The problem only exists on certian TVs. It happens on my Sony Bravia AF8 OLED as well. I have reported it to Comcast and they are going to come next week to see it in person. 

Edit: Seems to work just fine on my Samsung and my LG.

In the mean time I am trying to set the auto update schedule to between 4-6am. Also set the sleep time to 5 hours since you can't set it to off.

The problem is caused by the timing of when the X1 box goes to sleep and then you turn on your TV, the X1 box does not recognize that there is any signial on the port you have hooked up to it due to some timing issuie.

So, when you reboot the box, it will then check the TV to see if it is on or not and all is well.

By setting the amount of time before it goes into sleep mode to 5 hours, if you watched your TV until say....3am, then it would go to sleep after you turn it off until 8am. So then if you turned on your TV before 8 am, then it should theoretically not have the issue. 

However, I am hoping that by scheduling my software update time between 4-6am it will do a reboot and then I will have 5 hours to turn on my TV before it has a chance to go to sleep again.

Service Expert

@gwmorris972 wrote:

The problem only exists on certian TVs. It happens on my Sony Bravia AF8 OLED as well. I have reported it to Comcast and they are going to come next week to see it in person. 

Edit: Seems to work just fine on my Samsung and my LG.

In the mean time I am trying to set the auto update schedule to between 4-6am. Also set the sleep time to 5 hours since you can't set it to off.

The problem is caused by the timing of when the X1 box goes to sleep and then you turn on your TV, the X1 box does not recognize that there is any signial on the port you have hooked up to it due to some timing issuie.

So, when you reboot the box, it will then check the TV to see if it is on or not and all is well.

By setting the amount of time before it goes into sleep mode to 5 hours, if you watched your TV until say....3am, then it would go to sleep after you turn it off until 8am. So then if you turned on your TV before 8 am, then it should theoretically not have the issue. 

However, I am hoping that by scheduling my software update time between 4-6am it will do a reboot and then I will have 5 hours to turn on my TV before it has a chance to go to sleep again.

turn off the power save feature to eliminate problem. the feature can save up to $1 in electricity if left in power save 24/7/365.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos