Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HDMI output and Zone 2/3 receiver on XG1v4 dvr

New Poster

HDMI output and Zone 2/3 receiver on XG1v4 dvr

on XG1v4 4k DVR- only video/audio ouput is a (digital) HDMI so how can I play sound/audio from my receiver to Zone 2/3 since the INPUTS for zone 2/3 have to be from an ANALOG source(RCA composite cable) and NOT a DIGITAL(HDMI) source.  I believe a DIGITAL (HDMI) input source from the DVR to the receiver is fine for "zone 1" to speakers  (that are hooked  to the receiver directly) but NOT for Zone 2 /3 (since those zones need to have an analog input source).  The old, non 4k X1 dvr had a Analog RCA output PLUS a Digital HDMI output.  The new XG1v4 ONLY has a DIGITAL HDMI output and NO ANALOG OUTPUT.

IS this correct? - if so no one who uses multiple zones 2/3 can use this "new" XG1v4 dvr to play pandora or anything else through zone2/3 sound

Problem Solver

Re: HDMI output and Zone 2/3 receiver on XG1v4 dvr

The 4K DVR was designed to supply UHD / HDR to new UHD / HDR televisions. All these televisions have a special high-speed HDMI port to handle this.

So what in the heck kind of television are you trying to connect this DVR too?

New Poster

Thanks for your answer. I am sending the audio and the video signal through my audio receiver. The video goes to the TV and the audio goes to two places. Zone one is my 5.1 stereo system. Zone 2/3 Goes to a whole house audio amplifier system for multi zone audio playback through the house. The zone two and three audio has to be from an analog source and not a digital source like an HDMI. My receiver does not have a digital analog converter in it to convert the digital signal of the HDMI to an analog RCA audio signal
New Poster

My TV is an LGOLED TV
Problem Solver

@Rfgray11 wrote:
My TV is an LGOLED TV

In that case the box needs to be connected to the television with a high-speed HDMI cable.

New Poster

Thanks again for your reply but apparently you are not understanding my problem. The sound runs to a receiver not the television. The receiver powers the 5.1 speaker set up in the room as well as sending in analog signal from the receiver to a whole house amplifier. The sound sent to the Home house amplifier needs to be an analog signal for zone two and for zone three. There is no analog output from the cable box only a digital output from the cable box via HDMI cable. The sound comes from the receiver to power the speakers everywhere. The audio signal does Not come from the television but rather the receiver. So we’re not talking about the television and all we are only talking about the receiver and the cable box. The cable box can only send a digital signal and cannot I’ll put a analog signal. Hope that makes sense
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Rfgray11 wrote:
Thanks again for your reply but apparently you are not understanding my problem. The sound runs to a receiver not the television. The receiver powers the 5.1 speaker set up in the room as well as sending in analog signal from the receiver to a whole house amplifier. The sound sent to the Home house amplifier needs to be an analog signal for zone two and for zone three. There is no analog output from the cable box only a digital output from the cable box via HDMI cable. The sound comes from the receiver to power the speakers everywhere. The audio signal does Not come from the television but rather the receiver. So we’re not talking about the television and all we are only talking about the receiver and the cable box. The cable box can only send a digital signal and cannot I’ll put a analog signal. Hope that makes sense

The HDMI cable between DVR and tv sends everything to the tv.

On second thought; you had not mentioned your 5.1 A/V system until last post. Use another HDMI port on the tv to connect to your 5.1 A/V box. Use the red/white (analog stereo) cables connected from that box to the whole house amplifier.The second HDMI cable is normal way to connect A/V 5.1 or 7.1 s.s. systems to new tv. Use the HDMI ARC port on tv for this cable.

This should work if your A/V box allows out-put to separate speakers, besides the "Auto return control" by tv.

At this point using tv's menu for speakers: tv speakers would be tv alone, HDMI (speakers) would be AV 5.1 plus maybe your whole house speakers, Both might keep all on.

The older cable-boxes from 5 to 10 years ago would have allowed spliting the coxial-cable output from box to two separate (non-HD tvs) for watching the same channel on both tv's.

New Poster

You can purchase a separate converter which goes between you Xfinity box and your A/V receiver, this extracts the analog audio (red and white rca), and still outputs 4K video and digital audio through the HDMI output. You will no doubt find them on amazon. Look for a 4K HDR HDMI audio extracor.
New Poster

Thank you for your reply. Do I need to adjust the output settings from the receiver to the adapter? What setting should the output be set to? Thanks
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation