Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HDMI link - Beta Feature - Broken for me.

Frequent Visitor

HDMI link - Beta Feature - Broken for me.

Not sure where or how to provide feedback on Comcast Labs features, so I'm posting here.    I just noticed the new 'HDMI link' feature and started testing it on my 2010 Samsung TV.   It does a great job of putting the X1 into sleep mode when I turn off the TV, which is awesome.   The issue is that when I turn the TV and X1 back on, I ususally get a blank screen (not a no signal screen, but a black/greyish where it is getting a signal, but no picture).     No amount of button presses brings the display back up, I've had to pull the plug on the X1 to get it to reboot.   If I turn off HDMI link, the problem goes away.    FWIW, the model number of the TV is pn58b650.    Anyone else seeing this problem?

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: HDMI link - Beta Feature - Broken for me.

Not to be negative but X1's implementation of HDMI has been questionable since day one. All one needs to do is look at all of the users experiencing HDMI handshake issues.

I would not expect this feature to work properly with all TV sets...

motocrossman wrote:

Not sure where or how to provide feedback on Comcast Labs features, so I'm posting here.    I just noticed the new 'HDMI link' feature and started testing it on my 2010 Samsung TV.   It does a great job of putting the X1 into sleep mode when I turn off the TV, which is awesome.   The issue is that when I turn the TV and X1 back on, I ususally get a blank screen (not a no signal screen, but a black/greyish where it is getting a signal, but no picture).     No amount of button presses brings the display back up, I've had to pull the plug on the X1 to get it to reboot.   If I turn off HDMI link, the problem goes away.    FWIW, the model number of the TV is pn58b650.    Anyone else seeing this problem?

Service Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Do you have Any-Net (HDMI-CEC) turned on in your TV settings?

motocrossman wrote:

Frequent Visitor

There are two settings for HDMI CEC on my TV.    The first is a simple 'enable' command which allows for automatic input switching.   The other is for turning on/off peripheral equipment when the TV goes on/off.   I'll post the actual verbiage here when I get home.   I have to enable the second feature to get the X1 to turn off - which makes sense.   But once that feature is enabled, and 'HDMI Link' is on, I experience the issue reported above. 

Edit:

The two options are:  "Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC):   On"   - this is the feature that allows for automatic source switching.   "Auto Turn Off:  Yes"  - This is the option that shuts off peripherals when the TV turns off.   When it is turned on, along wtih "HDMI link", I experience the issue above.

Admin1

Hello All -- Thank you for your feedback about this feature. As this is a Beta test we understand issues like this can arise and appreciate any and all feedback so we can work on improving this feature. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

Hello All -- Thank you for your feedback about this feature. As this is a Beta test we understand issues like this can arise and appreciate any and all feedback so we can work on improving this feature. 

Zach, let me start by saying that I was thrilled when I noticed this feature in Comcast Labs and still have high hopes for it.  My experience is as follows however ... I own a Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR9 television (vintage 2010) and Sony HTIB (home theater in a box), and have a PA PX013ANM DVR.  The HDMI Link feature works perfectly when powering off the TV ... i.e. immediately the HTIB powers off (via option in TV to do so) AND the DVR powers off.  Perfect.  The problem is when powering the TV back on.  If I do so withinin a few minutes after having powered off, then the DVR powers up, blue light appears, etc.  Again, perfect.  However, and this is 100% repeatable, if I wait for many hours before powering the TV back on, the DVR will not power back on and I'm forced to manually push the power button on the front of the DVR to power it on.

Regular Contributor

milehiguy wrote:

ComcastZach wrote:

Zach, let me start by saying that I was thrilled when I noticed this feature in Comcast Labs and still have high hopes for it.  My experience is as follows however ... I own a Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR9 television (vintage 2010) and Sony HTIB (home theater in a box), and have a PA PX013ANM DVR.  The HDMI Link feature works perfectly when powering off the TV ... i.e. immediately the HTIB powers off (via option in TV to do so) AND the DVR powers off.  Perfect.  The problem is when powering the TV back on.  If I do so withinin a few minutes after having powered off, then the DVR powers up, blue light appears, etc.  Again, perfect.  However, and this is 100% repeatable, if I wait for many hours before powering the TV back on, the DVR will not power back on and I'm forced to manually push the power button on the front of the DVR to power it on.

Ironically, I just powered on my TV for the first time since this morning (~7 hours ago).  To my surprise, the DVR powered on and the blue light came on.  Zach, could it be that the overnight REBOOT is interfering with the HDMI Link behavior?

Admin1

milehiguy -- Thank you for your feedback. We do not have an answer at this time about if the overnight reboot is interfering with this at all. We will continue to monitor and work with this feature. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

milehiguy -- Thank you for your feedback. We do not have an answer at this time about if the overnight reboot is interfering with this at all. We will continue to monitor and work with this feature. 

Zach, thanks for the reply and I apologize for not having added to the thread recently. Long story short, the feature seems to be working fine now, in terms of both powering Off and powering On when I command my TV to do likewise. The only thing I've been doing differently since my last post is that I'm powering On/Off using the All Power button (top-right) on the XR11 remote as opposed to the TV Power button (top-left). Has worked flawlessly for over a week now. Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

I discovered and enabled HDMI Link a few days ago on my X1 box because I'm starting to use HDMI CEC & ARC with my new receiver and TV.  I use a Harmony remote so I never had things setup to turn on/off all the various components in my home theater automatically, but thought it was time to try it out.

Today I noticed that my receiver was unmuting itself shortly after putting it into mute.  I tried every Audio option on my receiver and my TV but couldn't figure out what was causing it.  I've had my these for a couple weeks and didn't notice this problem before.  I experimented and found that unplugging the HDMI cable between my receiver and TV would make the receiver stop unmuting itself, so I deduced it must be a problem coming from my TV.

But for grins I checked the Comcast X1 box and remembered about the recent HDMI Link settings change.  Sure enough, once I turned it off my mute stopped turning itself off.  How surprising that the cause was the X1 box when unplugging the TV from the receiver makes it go away.  Is this a bug?  I don't really care if my X1 DVR stays on so I'll be keeping HDMI Link off for now.

Service Expert

Hmm.  One of my X1 DVR's does not have that in Comcast Labs.  And I believe I have the same firmware/software versions in all three of my DVR's.

But that DVR is going through an a/v receiver, so I suspect the HDMI link doesn't work with it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This setting is only going to work when your TV is compatible HDMI linked TV to me it turns the X1 box off instead of putting it into a power save if the box was in a power save the power light would stay on. I will look into this further when I go to work this evening I am in X1 technician over the phone for Comcast Xfinity and hadn't really noticed this feature the box is constantly updating and adding new stuff
Regular Contributor

HDMI Link feature is working great for me.  I have a Pace PX013ANM X1 DVR, Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR9 TV & Sony BD-E500 BD/DVD Home Theater System (both vintage 2009).  As I mentioned in an earlier reply, when powering On/Off I press the All Power button (upper-right) of my voice remote.

Service Expert

Winstead1984 wrote:
This setting is only going to work when your TV is compatible HDMI linked TV to me it turns the X1 box off instead of putting it into a power save if the box was in a power save the power light would stay on. I will look into this further when I go to work this evening I am in X1 technician over the phone for Comcast Xfinity and hadn't really noticed this feature the box is constantly updating and adding new stuff

"when your TV is compatible HDMI linked TV"?

If I understand you, this a/v receiver / TV combination tells my X1 DVR that they are not compatible with the setting so the X1 DVR doesn't make the setting available?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation