Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Green power light on X1 box

Frequent Visitor

What does solid green power light on X1 set top box mean?  Ours has been blue up to today but has been green all day.

Accepted Solutions
Administrator

Re: Green power light on X1 box

This issue with the Samsung XG2 should be resolved at this time after updating to the latest firmware patch. If you are having this issue with any other model I would recomend opening a new topic and referencing this one. Some boxes will show a green light when on or when you change channels. This behavior is normal for a lot of them and might not necessarily be an issue. Locking thread and marking this as resolved. 

All Replies
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I had the same question. Turned green today. Suddenly it stopped with no signal and after restart it works but still green signal. Hope someone answers.

Expert

bruphy wrote:

What does solid green power light on X1 set top box mean?  Ours has been blue up to today but has been green all day.

I am not aware of color changing capability (blue to green etc). The oldest DVRs had a green circle LED lighted ring power button, the later ones are blue, my XG2 is a green bar.

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Same here. The light has been blue for as long as I've had the box (many months), then suddenly turned green as of today. It seems to work okay, but I am curious about why it changed.
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I have exactly the same thing goin on.

The light has always been blue.  Lately, I have had a lot of trouble with no TV signal.  Internet and phone OK, but no TV.

Yesterday, suddenly, the light is green instead of blue!

I can't find anyting about this in help or support anywhere.

Gold Problem Solver

Seems to be a new issue. Others have posted this concern.

Comcast may or may not respond here.
Official Employee

Hi, bruphy. I'd like to try pushing some update signals to your X1 box to see if this resolves the green light issue. This would cause a brief interruption of service, when would be an okay time to do so?

Official Employee

Hello, devangoza20. I'd like to try sending some update signals to your X1 box to see if this resolves the green light issue. This would cause a brief interruption of service, when would be an okay time to do so?

Official Employee

Hello, Gtb2. I'd like to try sending some update signals to your X1 box to see if this resolves the green light issue. This would cause a brief interruption of service, when would be a good time to do so?

Official Employee

Hi, KenBrattlie. I'd like to try sending some update signals to your X1 box to see if this resolves the green light issue. This would cause a brief interruption of service, when would be a good time to do so?

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I had the same question. Turned green today. Suddenly it stopped with no signal and after restart it works but still green signal. Hope someone answers.
Regular Visitor

Did you ever find out why it did that
Regular Visitor

Blue light changed to green

Why did my x1 box go to a green light it's always been blue just went green a couple day ago
New Poster

Why did my light change from blue to green

My light changed from blue to green. Not sure if I should be concerned.
Regular Visitor

Re: Why did my light change from blue to green

Same thang happen to me. I'm not sure why.
New Poster

I am having this same issue! The light has always been blue but is now a solid green color. I tried refreshing the box and it is still green. It hasn't disrupted my TV service at all but I am a little confused why it is green.
New Poster

Does anyone at Comcast know WHY it changed?

Administrator

The green light usually means that the device is on, similar to the blue light. It should not affect the service at all and a reboot might trigger it to go back to blue. For certain customers the green light is what they always see instead of the blue one. So rest assure this should not be causing any problems, if any problems did come up after this I would again suggest doing a power cycle. 

New Poster

Today is the first day that I've seen a green power light on my tv box, after checking forums, with no solution, I rebooted - the power light stays blue up until the screen where it says "connecting to live TV platform" at which time it turns green.  I've seen 2 different possibilities, one is that on some comcast equipment there can be different color lights, which indicate different speeds, the other is that a blue light is regular power, the green light  means it is in "power-saver" mode - which, if true, probably should have been default choice all along. Perhaps someone who knows will let the rest of us in on this - 

New Poster

Yep this same thing happened to my X1 Box today too. Has been blue since it was installed & all of a sudden it's green. No service issues yet but interesting to have it change with no explanation.
New Poster

My light changed from blue to green today too.  It's not a big deal, but why?

Expert

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

The green light usually means that the device is on, similar to the blue light. It should not affect the service at all and a reboot will sometimes trigger it to go back to blue when on. For certain customers the green light is what they always see instead of the blue one. So rest assure this should not be causing any problems, if any problems did come up after this I would again suggest doing a power cycle. 

Can you tell us why the light has changed color?  Is it a software/firmware update?

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

The green light usually means that the device is on, similar to the blue light. It should not affect the service at all and a reboot will sometimes trigger it to go back to blue when on. For certain customers the green light is what they always see instead of the blue one. So rest assure this should not be causing any problems, if any problems did come up after this I would again suggest doing a power cycle. 

Can you tell us why the light has changed color?  Is it a software/firmware update?

Interesting that the Comcast refuses to straight up tell us the what and why of green lights where previously nobody even knew they could change color. I begin to detest Comcast's secrecy and obfuscation. Caveat - this is directed at Comcast policy, not the very helpful reps who spend time up here telling us what they can.

New Poster

Maybe Comcast doesn't know why the color changed from blue to green, most of them are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Gold Problem Solver

Look folks,

This is actually very simple. I have been posting in this forum for almost 5 years now. One thing you learn very quickly is Comcast never says or does anything in this forum where they accept blame or admit they did anything wrong.

Like most large companies (including mine) Comcast employees are bound by confidentiality agreements and they are very careful what they say in public forums.

You can expect minimal feedback from Comcast employees participating in this forum.
Administrator
Moved:

Valued Contributor

Re: Blue light changed to green

Dasnus wrote:
Why did my x1 box go to a green light it's always been blue just went green a couple day ago

It's caused by the recent update. Don't worry. Apparently the engineers want to use green. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

KenBrattlie wrote:

I have exactly the same thing goin on.

The light has always been blue.  Lately, I have had a lot of trouble with no TV signal.  Internet and phone OK, but no TV.

Yesterday, suddenly, the light is green instead of blue!

I can't find anyting about this in help or support anywhere.

Don't worry, it was caused by a recent update. The engineers just want to use green. personally, I prefer blue. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

bruphy wrote:

Don't worry, it was caused by a recent update. The engineers just want to use green. Personally, I prefer blue.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Gtb2 wrote:
Same here. The light has been blue for as long as I've had the box (many months), then suddenly turned green as of today. It seems to work okay, but I am curious about why it changed.

It's caused by the recent update. Don't worry. Apparently the engineers want to use green. Personlly, I prefer blue. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Saro10 wrote:

It's caused by the recent update. Don't worry. Apparently the engineers want to use green. Personlly, I prefer blue. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

devangoza20 wrote:

Expert

RadTV wrote:

Dasnus wrote:

It's caused by the recent update. Don't worry. Apparently the engineers want to use green. Smiley Happy

I got the new 176.02 today and 2 DVRs (haven't checked one yet) still have blue LEDs. The one i use the most normally has the LED turned off in options but I turned it on to see 'green' change and the LED is so dim but is set on brightest setting.

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

RadTV wrote:

Dasnus wrote:

I got the new 176.02 today and 2 DVRs (haven't checked one yet) still have blue LEDs. The one i use the most normally has the LED turned off in options but I turned it on to see 'green' change and the LED is so dim but is set on brightest setting.

Same here in the Houston market.  I have three DVR's and they are still green.  Two of them are about four years old, which means they are the first X1 DVR model.

Valued Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
My apologies to the original poster and forum members for making off topic comments in this thread.

I agree with radtv that it is a fairly clear that Comcast decided to make a change here. It would be nice if they would have spread the word so users were not caught off guard.

However it should be pointed out that my Arris V3 DVR is unchanged....

I will be bowing out of this thread now.

Hello Rick,

I'm in the same position as you, my DVR did not receive the update yet however my XG 2 has. I guess the MAC address was not included in the batch of updates for the DVR?

Frequent Visitor

Exact description of the situation here.  The deep (royal blue) blue light returns after reboot, but turns green again when the X1 programming is fully restored.  This just started happening today.   I live in Alexandria, VA

New Poster

I also had my X1 box change from the solid blue light to solid green in the past few days. Not a huge deal, but to be honest the blue really went with all the other electronics on the entertainment center. Now it sticks out.

Official Employee

Hi, Dasnus. I replied to your private message with the following information: The change in your X1 box's LED color should not be causing any issues at all. It looks like it was triggered in some boxes randomly during a recent update and is acting the same as the blue light was previously (indicating the box is on). Power cycling the box may change it back, but if it doesn't you should not be concerned.

If you're experiencing any service issues as a result of the LED color changing please let me know. Thank you.

Official Employee

Hello, Saro10. The change in your X1 box's LED color should not be causing any issues at all. It looks like it was triggered in some boxes randomly during a recent update and is acting the same as the blue light was previously (indicating the box is on). Power cycling the box may resolve the issue. Please let me know if you're experiencing any issues with your cable service as a result of the LED color changing. Thank you.

Regular Visitor

This is the exact description that we are experiencing. I would have said the blue light turned white. That said I am extremely red green color blind so will assume what I am seeing is green. Our box that this is happening with is a Samsung model SX022ANC. The other boxes have not had this issue.

A good explanation of what is going on would be much appreciated.
Valued Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

RadTV wrote:

Dasnus wrote:

My DVR has not received the update yet but the XG2 has.

Valued Contributor

ComcastMax wrote:

Hello, Saro10. The change in your X1 box's LED color should not be causing any issues at all. It looks like it was triggered in some boxes randomly during a recent update and is acting the same as the blue light was previously (indicating the box is on). Power cycling the box may resolve the issue. Please let me know if you're experiencing any issues with your cable service as a result of the LED color changing. Thank you.

Max,

Powercycling won't work because the box is programmed to show green from the recent update by the engineers. They like green. Smiley Happy

New Poster

I have had this box for about a year now and ever since I've had it the LED has been blue and now it's green!
Expert

My idea is that all the pace version 1 boxes (some had green some blue) are changing to green to let techs know they only have 5 tuners but do have component video output jacks. I had 3 of the 'blueies' that could not activate in firmware the  6th tuner so swapped them out.

New Poster

set top box

The light on both of my boxes has changed from blue to green. What does this mean?

New Poster

RadTV   has the answer that makes sense.  The engineers made everyone say, "huh?".