Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Frustrating!!! X1 box with component cables

Frequent Visitor

Well I see from the many post on here I am not the only one facing this issue. <br><br>So a few weeks ago I get messages on my screen. I have to upgrade my cable boxes or lose service. Know from the past how much fun that could be I ignored them. Finally made the mistake of getting new boxes.<br><br>A week later they arive. New cable box has HDMI and COMPOSITE. I need component hook up. Ok so I call. Gentalman I spoke with was very helpful and new what I needed. He indicated I would have a new box in 4-5 days with the component hook-ups and it would be the same XR11 remote with voice, live tv pause and rewin also the apps.<br><br>So a week goes by no box. I called today. Guess what no order was placed. The person never completed the order. So after a week of staring at a bunch of wire in my living room. Nothing!!!! Completely dropped the ball.<br><br>So after a hour explaining to this today on the phone the they are sending me a new box. I asked if it was going to have the component hook up. Oh yes he said all the components will be in the box. Ugh!!! No I need component RC jacks in the back. Oh yes they will come with all the cables all the components will be in the box. So like I said I finally got a model number from him. They are sending me a RGN150 cable box. <br><br>Realizing I spent all this time talking to captain clueless I looked up this box. This dose not have any of these features!!!!! Yes it has component jacks on it but zero of the new X1 features. <br><br>Called back. More time on hold as the kids are climbing the wall. I need a Pace xg1v1 box according to the XFINITY chart<br><a href="https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/" target="_blank">https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/</a><br><br>So I can just call and have them send me the right box. Nope as with other numerous threads on here Who know what they send you and yes they suggested I drive all over the state to find the right box because they lack the ability to send a person the box that fits there setup. They suggested I hook up the composite video to some store purchased converter. Composite is low low quality video!! I asked if I went to a Cadillac dealer and wanted a black Cadillac but they had none on the lot would they suggest I go buy a yugo and put a Cadillac sticker on it??? Maybe you could take care of a customer and get him the correct box? <br><br>So here I sit looking at a living room waiting for the next cable box that will be not one that justifies the monthly cable bill<br><br>I guess my only choice is to start driving around?<br>
Frequent Visitor

Well I see from the many posts on here I am not the only one facing this issue. <br><br>So a few weeks ago I get messages on my screen. I have to upgrade my cable boxes or lose service. Knowing from the past how much fun that could be I ignored them. Finally made the mistake of getting new boxes.<br><br>A week later they arive. New cable box has HDMI and COMPOSITE. I need component hook up. Ok so I call. Gentalman I spoke with was very helpful and knew what I needed. He indicated I would have a new box in 4-5 days with the component hook-ups and it would be the same XR11 remote with voice, live tv pause and rewin also the apps.<br><br>So a week goes by no box. I called today. Guess what no order was placed. The person never completed the order. So after a week of staring at a bunch of wire in my living room. Nothing!!!! Completely dropped the ball.<br><br>So after a hour explaining to this today on the phone the they are sending me a new box. I asked if it was going to have the component hook up. Oh yes he said all the components will be in the box. Ugh!!! No I need component RC jacks in the back. Oh yes they will come with all the cables all the components will be in the box. So like I said I finally got a model number from him. They are sending me a RGN150 cable box. <br><br>Realizing I spent all this time talking to captain clueless I looked up this box. This dose not have any of these features!!!!! Yes it has component jacks on it but zero of the new X1 features. <br><br>Called back. More time on hold as the kids are climbing the wall. I need a Pace xg1v1 box according to the XFINITY chart<br><a href="https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/" target="_blank">https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/</a><br><br>So I can just call and have them send me the right box. Nope as with other numerous threads on here It luck of the draw if what they send you will work and yes they suggested I drive all over the state to find the right box because they lack the ability to send a person the box that fits there setup. They suggested I hook up the composite video to some store purchased converter. Composite is low low quality video!! I asked if I went to a Cadillac dealer and wanted a black Cadillac but they had none on the lot would they suggest I go buy a yugo and put a Cadillac sticker on it??? Maybe you could take care of a customer and get him the correct box? <br><br>So here I sit looking at a living room waiting for the next cable box that will be not one that justifies the monthly cable bill<br><br>I guess my only choice is to start driving aroun????<br>
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Frustrating!!! X1 box with component cables

Sorry but component video is dying and nearly dead. All major players are moving away from it. The Hollywood TV and movie studios want component video gone. Why? Because with component video it is still possible to make HD quality copies. Hence something known as HDCP.

A little birdie on a tree is telling you that you need to replace your TV and your component video situation... I can assure you that Comcast does not care if one user can't find an X1 box with component outputs.... It's time to start buying up to date gear.

X1 has two boxes with component outputs: RNG-150, very slow, lacks critical apps and can't pause Live TV. There is also the Pace XG1-P V1 which has five tuners instead of six and may have audio issues that Comcast has never fixed.

Sorry but Comcast can't support every user that is limping along in the stone age...

17mjk32 wrote:
Well I see from the many posts on here I am not the only one facing this issue. <br><br>So a few weeks ago I get messages on my screen. I have to upgrade my cable boxes or lose service. Knowing from the past how much fun that could be I ignored them. Finally made the mistake of getting new boxes.<br><br>A week later they arive. New cable box has HDMI and COMPOSITE. I need component hook up. Ok so I call. Gentalman I spoke with was very helpful and knew what I needed. He indicated I would have a new box in 4-5 days with the component hook-ups and it would be the same XR11 remote with voice, live tv pause and rewin also the apps.<br><br>So a week goes by no box. I called today. Guess what no order was placed. The person never completed the order. So after a week of staring at a bunch of wire in my living room. Nothing!!!! Completely dropped the ball.<br><br>So after a hour explaining to this today on the phone the they are sending me a new box. I asked if it was going to have the component hook up. Oh yes he said all the components will be in the box. Ugh!!! No I need component RC jacks in the back. Oh yes they will come with all the cables all the components will be in the box. So like I said I finally got a model number from him. They are sending me a RGN150 cable box. <br><br>Realizing I spent all this time talking to captain clueless I looked up this box. This dose not have any of these features!!!!! Yes it has component jacks on it but zero of the new X1 features. <br><br>Called back. More time on hold as the kids are climbing the wall. I need a Pace xg1v1 box according to the XFINITY chart<br><a href="https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/" target="_blank">https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/</a><br><br>So I can just call and have them send me the right box. Nope as with other numerous threads on here It luck of the draw if what they send you will work and yes they suggested I drive all over the state to find the right box because they lack the ability to send a person the box that fits there setup. They suggested I hook up the composite video to some store purchased converter. Composite is low low quality video!! I asked if I went to a Cadillac dealer and wanted a black Cadillac but they had none on the lot would they suggest I go buy a yugo and put a Cadillac sticker on it??? Maybe you could take care of a customer and get him the correct box? <br><br>So here I sit looking at a living room waiting for the next cable box that will be not one that justifies the monthly cable bill<br><br>I guess my only choice is to start driving aroun????<br>

Frequent Visitor

So why even bother putting composite on it as you say Stone Age. This latest and greatest box has hdmi and composite. One would think they would choice component over composite 

And yes you are 100% correct they obviously care little to the individual costumer. Why else would they tell me they are going to take care of it and do absolutely nothing about it. They  must have a whole board room full of people like yourself that like to look down on others with there condescending views.  

Gold Problem Solver

They can't choose component video. Please Google "analog sunset".

I am not bragging nor am I wealthy. But I happen like top quality audio video entertainment. My main system has an LG OLED 4K/HDR TV set along with a Dolby Atmos audio system. I have 4K programming available via a couple different sources. I can listen to almost any audio source I want including Super Audio CD's and vinyl records.

I understand being attached to old AV gear but sometimes the world forces you to move on. Component video is 98% dead. You need to move on and upgrade.

17mjk32 wrote:

So why even bother putting composite on it as you say Stone Age. This latest and greatest box has hdmi and composite. One would think they would choice component over composite 

And yes you are 100% correct they obviously care little to the individual costumer. Why else would they tell me they are going to take care of it and do absolutely nothing about it. They  must have a whole board room full of people like yourself that like to look down on others with there condescending views.  

Frequent Visitor

I am not bragging but I have the best audio setup. Reality check yep that would be bragging.

I do not think I am trying to hook up my eight track player here. Just 2nd gereration HD. I am not buying a new TV just because.

I do thank you for your information. Should be a easy fix right? Send the pace XG1-v1. Nope of course not. Called and they cannot specify what type of box they send you. I have to drive from service center to service center looking for the Pace model. Well as most one should call ahead right?? Nope can't do that all service center are routed through the main number. They were really nice to speak with and are bewildered as I on the difficulty in getting a component box and not a composite box. So they are send one and trying to make up the order with that model in hopes someone will actually read the note part and send that box. What are the odds? Better than a perfect bracket in March?

So tomorrow I will open the box to see. If not I guess I drive around the state. Maybe I should just go over to your house to watch the worlds greatest setup. I will bring a 6 pack and some popcorn
Frequent Visitor

So I received the cable box they overnight to me with the note saying to send a Pace xg1v1. Well what a surprise they send a Arris brand and not the Pace. So with that comes the wrong box. Surprise surprise. As indicated the person I spoke with was very nice and wanted to call me tomorrow to see if shipping read the order correctly and sent the right box. Which well didn't happen. Wonder if the just keep overnighting boxes? that must be easier then send the right one? Right?

So happy with all my post I jumped two ranking from the emails I received. I am now have the ranking of Fequent viewer. I bet I can get to the ranking of suprem commander by the time a get that box. Do I get a participation ribbon? I could put it were my cable box is while I wait
Gold Problem Solver

Here is the deal. Comcast has produced two X1 boxes that have component outputs.

XG1-P V1: Only five tuners instead of six and is well known to have audio issues.

RNG-150: Slow to respond. Missing key internet apps. Can't pause live TV.

If you really feel you want to deal with one of the two least desirable X1 boxes then go to a Comcast service center and make friends with someone that works there. It's your only shot.

Otherwise leave Comcast or upgrade your gear. Like I said earlier, component video is a dinosaur.

17mjk32 wrote:
So I received the cable box they overnight to me with the note saying to send a Pace xg1v1. Well what a surprise they send a Arris brand and not the Pace. So with that comes the wrong box. Surprise surprise. As indicated the person I spoke with was very nice and wanted to call me tomorrow to see if shipping read the order correctly and sent the right box. Which well didn't happen. Wonder if the just keep overnighting boxes? that must be easier then send the right one? Right?

So happy with all my post I jumped two ranking from the emails I received. I am now have the ranking of Fequent viewer. I bet I can get to the ranking of suprem commander by the time a get that box. Do I get a participation ribbon? I could put it were my cable box is while I wait

Frequent Visitor

Yes the deal is that there is only two boxes that have component output on them, Pace being the lesser of two evils. I think we belabored that point previously captain obvious.

So while we wait for the next box to arrive lets us discus the dinosaur. The latest and greatest box that you have in your  lair of awesomeness has composite, coax and HDMI.

The kit also most like came with a splitter to go on the coaxial with Banana-type connectors so that if need you could hook to you VHF connection (might have to unhook the antenna). Now that is a Dinosaur!

Now on the world’s greatest setup we have Composite Video option or one channel video at 480i a big step down from a three channel component video connect.

Not buying the argument as you see as 2nd generation HD component as being a dinosaur when you have the latest box coming with hookup connections from the 80’s

I guess you do not work For Xfiniti/Comcast with the comment about just going to another provider. Carful they might take you participation badge from you. So like most forums that are infested with Trolls you seem to be the only one to answer. Which is nice in that one is not just talking to one’s self.

Next box is due to arrive today so let us see which one we get today. Looks like 10 to 1 odds it being the right one. Also expecting that phone call today. Interesting if I actual get it. If so I must say that is a very dedicated Comcast employee and it seems much more useful then this forum. But again lets wait and see.

Frequent Visitor

Well another box was on the door step when I arrived home. Opened it up to find yet another box that was not as promised. Also I pretty much gave up hope on the phone call back from XFINITY. Well guess what at ten to seven I received a call from a out of state number. Unfortunately I missed the call. So I called the number back and it was a non working number. So for sure it was Comcast/XFINITY.

Well since all the other boxes they sent were wrong I took time out of my day to drive across town to the service center. Would have liked to call ahead but that is impossible I have now come to terms with. Took my number and sat there with the 30 plus other happy people. I think they designed it after the Secretary of State office. What a woulderfull time sitting there. Enjoyed all the conversations. One poor guy had someone come into his house and order a bunch of movies. Like $300 worth. Imagine that! So number 84 came up it was like winning the lottery!! Walked up to window and stated my situation. Asked for the Pace model. They brought out a Samsung. I indicated that I needed the Pace the Samsung has no apps or and features. Got the that's all we have. Indicated that the phone support people said you could order it if you didn't have it. Nope we can't do that was the reply. So given I spent such a lovely time waiting I asked to see the manager. The manager came up and new exactly what I needed. He said yes we can get it for you. Great I said. Just fill out your name and phone number on this sticky note and tomorrow's the warehouse guy will be here and order it. Should be in next week. Great news I say. Do you need me to fill out any more info. No he says you are all set.

So I shook his hand and thanked him. I am expecting a call next week when it gets in. Of course if I don't get that call I can't call back I will just have to go back again and such.

So maybe next week. I sure hope so because them sending box after box is a waste of money and exercise in futility.

I give it a 50/50 chance I get the call
Frequent Visitor

Well i received a call today just as I was walking out for lunch. It was the Manager at the Ann Arbor Service Center. The cable box was in!!!! Yep that is right it was actual there. So i grabbed a quick bite and headed over. Walked in and one person before me. Not 30 like yesterday. Had the same lady as yesterday (Mrs. NO) she was a bite more pleasant today on this Friday afternoon. The manager saw me walk by and brought over the box. I thanked him for his great service and signed for it. They put it in a nice reusable caring bag. Inside the bag was the Pace model. One XR11 remote, one Power supply and a set of dinosaur cables. (Component)

I think the story maybe over in that I can hook up the last of the new X1 box's and send the rest back. Well its Friday so maybe after I get it installed I will make that bowl of popcorn and whatch Jurassic Park. That's a good Dinosaur movie. Right?  Hopefully my cables can take it

New Poster

Well, I'm kinda in the same boat but for another reason. In my home office, where I spend a lot of time on the computer, I like to run a TV window in the corner of my large screen monitor. Years ago I did this with a TV Tuner card until they switched over to digital only and that would no longer work. Then I bought a Slingbox (with component video inputs) that I hooked up to my main cable box. I fed my TV with HDMI and used the Component outouts to feed into the slingbox. I would then run the Slingplayer on IE or Chrome browser at my computer and I was back in business. 

Then, when I upgraded to the X1 DVR, it no longer included Component Video Outputs but the cable box I used in my bedroom did so I moved the Slingbox in there and again I was back in business.

Recently, that box died and the replacement I got no longer has Component Video Outputs. By now though, Xfinity offers a way to view their content throught the website so I thought I would be okay. The problem is the feed from the website is WAY BEHIND the regular feed coming into my TVs through the cable boxes.

If I'm moving back and forth in the house and trying to follow a ballgame for instance, it's impossible. I can be watching in my office and it's the third inning with 1 out. Walk straight to the living room and the game is in the fourth inning with two away!!

Official Employee

dmedlin57 wrote:

Well, I'm kinda in the same boat but for another reason. In my home office, where I spend a lot of time on the computer, I like to run a TV window in the corner of my large screen monitor. Years ago I did this with a TV Tuner card until they switched over to digital only and that would no longer work. Then I bought a Slingbox (with component video inputs) that I hooked up to my main cable box. I fed my TV with HDMI and used the Component outouts to feed into the slingbox. I would then run the Slingplayer on IE or Chrome browser at my computer and I was back in business. 

Then, when I upgraded to the X1 DVR, it no longer included Component Video Outputs but the cable box I used in my bedroom did so I moved the Slingbox in there and again I was back in business.

Recently, that box died and the replacement I got no longer has Component Video Outputs. By now though, Xfinity offers a way to view their content throught the website so I thought I would be okay. The problem is the feed from the website is WAY BEHIND the regular feed coming into my TVs through the cable boxes.

If I'm moving back and forth in the house and trying to follow a ballgame for instance, it's impossible. I can be watching in my office and it's the third inning with 1 out. Walk straight to the living room and the game is in the fourth inning with two away!!

The boxes with component outputs are still readily available.