Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Flickering Picture

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Flickering Picture

For no apparent reason last week my picture started flickering. The only way to get it to stop is to switch to the Guide, then exit from the Guide.  This makes it stop until either the next commercial.  Comcast sent out a Technician, but he said it was due to the old wiring. Initially I accepted that, but then I realize if it was the wiring, the flickering would be constant.  I live in a high-rise, and the wiring is rather old. But the problem did not start until I had the X1 platform installed.

Has anyone faced this problem?

Accepted Solution

Re: Flickering Picture

Comcast called and said that they fixed the problem internally.  That lasted for a few days, but then it returned.  So I decided to investigate on my own and check the Settings on my TV..  When I switched the Picture Mode from "Dynamic" to "Standard" the problem disappearred.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

That's a strange problem. Have you unplugged and rebooted your box? Have you tried different resoltions?

ahdatz wrote:

For no apparent reason last week my picture started flickering. The only way to get it to stop is to switch to the Guide, then exit from the Guide.  This makes it stop until either the next commercial.  Comcast sent out a Technician, but he said it was due to the old wiring. Initially I accepted that, but then I realize if it was the wiring, the flickering would be constant.  I live in a high-rise, and the wiring is rather old. But the problem did not start until I had the X1 platform installed.

Has anyone faced this problem?

Frequent Visitor

I have tried turning the box On and Off.  That has not worked.  What resolution do you suggest?  Can I change that on the Cable Box or my TV?

Gold Problem Solver

On the X1 box: Xfinity>Settings>Devices>Video
I would try setting it to 720P or 1080i

Regular Contributor

If the tech noticed it was the wiring then the tech before him should've noticed it was the wiring therefore it probably shouldn't have been installed in the first place.
Valued Contributor

If the screen is flickering, the video data that the TV is receiving isn't being updated as often as it should be.  This is a box issue and has nothing to do with wiring.  It's possible that it is a firmware issue, but I doubt it, since no one else has reported this.

Frequent Visitor

I tried changing the resolution, and that did not work.

Frequent Visitor

I am going to ask for a new box.  The only problem is Comcast doesn't seem to want to answer the phone.  I have already been disconnected once while on the phone with a Tech, and 4 x before I got that far.  Does anyone have an "inside" number?

Regular Contributor

Duplicate post
Regular Contributor

X1 customer service...1-877-896-8678... They answer every time I call.
Gold Problem Solver

Try a new HDMI cable...

ahdatz wrote:

I am going to ask for a new box.  The only problem is Comcast doesn't seem to want to answer the phone.  I have already been disconnected once while on the phone with a Tech, and 4 x before I got that far.  Does anyone have an "inside" number?

Regular Contributor

And then try component cables just to see if you can narrow it down. If a tech comes out to try to fix it, the more info you can give him the better. You have to do your own trouble shooting most of the time and give Comcast as much info as you can. Even then it may take some time.
Frequent Visitor

Do you mean replace the HDMI?

Regular Contributor

Like Rick said, replace hdmi then if that doesn't work, replace hdmi with the component cables ( red, yellow green ) to see if that works. This way you can try to narrow the problem.
Frequent Visitor

I was finally able to get through to Comcast.  Their testing indicates that I have low signal strength coming in. So they wrote it up as an "Expedited" ticket and said that someone will contact me within 24-48 hours to discuss. I will not hold my breath. They have also schedule a technician to come out. I asked if the technician could bring a new X1 box and the older box if that doesn't work but was told I had to deal with a different apartment for equipment. What a company!

Thank you to all those who have responded.  I appreciate it.

Frequent Visitor

|I feel your pain. We have had the X 1 platform now almost a month. Prior to the install several rooms were rewired by comca styet the night after the install my picture began flashing bright white or having bans of stricking white going across the screen
the screen and other times the screen has mutiple white lines. Techs have been out 4 times and as always when the tech is out the signal is good. To see my problems go to you tube and you will find me under samuraidad1. There are ton of videos showing mutiple problems on the old and X1 platform
Frequent Visitor

Comcast called and said that they fixed the problem internally.  That lasted for a few days, but then it returned.  So I decided to investigate on my own and check the Settings on my TV..  When I switched the Picture Mode from "Dynamic" to "Standard" the problem disappearred.

Frequent Visitor

been there done that. It appears to be a low signal. Even our internet speeds drops to under 4 mbps.

Check out you tube samuraidad1 and see some videos I have posted of the problems

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation