Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Favorites List Channels Disappear

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Favorites List Channels Disappear

With an already pained dupicate HD channel guide when setting up and viewing favorite channel guide, now just today all of my saved favorite channels above channel 999 have disapeared. When I go to all channel guide and try to add a favorite channel above 999, a message appears saying the channel is already in saved on my favorite channel guide. I tried removing the channel and adding it again (like STARZ 1123) and it made no diffference. This appears to have happened last night with the daily updates. Any answers... Using the Favorite Channel Guide is about the only way I can tell what channels I have and at least the channels above 999 are grouped in a sensible order (HBO's & Starz channels grouped) and not the scattered mess that is the default guide! 

Accepted Solution

Re: Favorites Guide

This is not a new problem, it's been going on since the beginning of July. I got the same problem earlier this month. I don't think they just decided to turn off the feature as if you go into guide all channels you'll see your > 1000 channels with a favorite marker on them. Also if you selecte them it shows they're marked as a favorite. If you look up your account on-line and look at favorites, they show just as they did before. With all that, it appears to be a problem that they need to fix and bring back everyone's list of favorites > 1000.

In the link below, a tech from Comcast said this is a problem August 8th and they're looking into it. Nothing since.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Nearly-all-quot-favorites-quot-deleted-from-guide/td-p/2929201

View answer in context
Service Expert

Re: Favorites List Channels Disappear

mcdano71 wrote:

With an already pained dupicate HD channel guide when setting up and viewing favorite channel guide, now just today all of my saved favorite channels above channel 999 have disapeared. When I go to all channel guide and try to add a favorite channel above 999, a message appears saying the channel is already in saved on my favorite channel guide. I tried removing the channel and adding it again (like STARZ 1123) and it made no diffference. This appears to have happened last night with the daily updates. Any answers... Using the Favorite Channel Guide is about the only way I can tell what channels I have and at least the channels above 999 are grouped in a sensible order (HBO's & Starz channels grouped) and not the scattered mess that is the default guide! 

good news is that the guide view now includes l'free to me' (channels you subscribe to) as a setting. to test it press guide button two times and select the second icon. If you like that setting you can set it permanently as your default view in the menu system under preferences.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

I have also noticed this in the recent change that was downloaded to the STB's.  While the "free to me" might be great to some people I do not want to see all the other "junk" stations that we would never watch.  Why is it so called improvements always remove what was always a good feature???  My "favorites" should be ALL the channels that I have selected as my favorites not what comcast thinks I should only see in the guide.   Yes, I am not happy with this recent change, comcast takes another step backwards in customer service

New Poster

I liked the list above 999 - the grouping made sense and was nice to browse. It was annoying to have favorites list both the lower and higher number, but to remove the higher makes no sense.
So how do I create a favorite list with channels > 999?
Frequent Visitor

You and I think alike! For the amount we pay all options should work and be available to us. I dont' want to scroll through a list of 2-2000 to find out what's on TV. The favorite list was tthe easiest and best way of finding what I want to watch. "Free to Me" lists kids, religious, and latin T.V. channels I don't care about. I don't have kids or speak any foreign languages fluently. It makes me mad that DVR isn't thrown in for free with this X1 service which I resisted until it was madnatory. I had to swap out a DTA box that cost me a 100 mile round trip to the nearest Xfinity store. It was just a straight up digital converter box that burned it self out from being on 24/7. In return I got a DTA box with an HDMI port. When I hooked it up without using HDMI since I thought I did not get HD on any set (Comcast told me this), but my main X1 HD T.V., when I finally got it activated after 30 minutes on the phone. Suddenly it was showing the HD channels. I have yet to get an HDMI cable to see if it is true HD, since the menu which has me locked out of making changes on the setup guide; only shows a 480i max output. Now I have duplicate channels on that T.V. and an irritating message that says to press "OK" to view in HD each time you change channels in SD. I've had the same package for 10 years and now I wonder if I've been getting short changed by not getting HD on my two other T.V.'s that are not X1 setups! They got you by the short hairs, because they are an out of control monopoly that should be designated as an utility by the Federal gov. since you can't go to the bathroom without internet service!

Valued Contributor

LOL Love it.  the other item that got me was the name they have used in the guide: "Free to Me".  Free means "without cost or payment" and none of these channels are "FREE"  we have pay for them each month, dearly.  Free to me is when they provide  HBO for "no Cost" for some time frame, now that would be free.  I feel that this is a bit of "false advertising" on comcasts part.  Now if it said "my subscribed channels" I would not have an issue.  I wonder how some of the state attorney general's office would view this naming. Bottom line I still want to have "My Favorites" be all the channels that I select.  BTW this is what other cable vendors do.

Frequent Visitor

I agree totally!!!!   the list above 999 made a lot of sense.   I am really po'd that you cannot access them using the favorites now.  WTH Xfinity!!???  Maybe it's time to go back to Direct TV.  if anyone knows if it's possible to create a list with the >999 channels please post for us!

Frequent Visitor

I didn't see an anouncement on this change and I thought something was wrong.  I powered off my box and I thought it was fixed.  Then today it was "broken" again and the power off didn't work, so here I am trying to make sense of this change.  Put the >1000 channels back on the favorites or make another selection for the guide.  As it is this feature is kind of useless.

Frequent Visitor

I agree.   The addition of the >1000 channels was a great idea since they are better organized.  Why in the world would they add them only to make them inaccessible to the favorites feature?   That logic escapes me

New Poster

Favorites Guide

Is anyone else having issues with their favorites menu, since the new channel line up my favorite guide will not show any channel number over 1000

Contributor

This is not a new problem, it's been going on since the beginning of July. I got the same problem earlier this month. I don't think they just decided to turn off the feature as if you go into guide all channels you'll see your > 1000 channels with a favorite marker on them. Also if you selecte them it shows they're marked as a favorite. If you look up your account on-line and look at favorites, they show just as they did before. With all that, it appears to be a problem that they need to fix and bring back everyone's list of favorites > 1000.

In the link below, a tech from Comcast said this is a problem August 8th and they're looking into it. Nothing since.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Nearly-all-quot-favorites-quot-deleted-from-guide/td-p/2929201

Frequent Visitor

I think that link was to a different issue. People lost their starred favorites - in all channel levels and on devices.

We have lost the ability to view an entire group of channel listings (1000s range) when viewing the guide in the favorites mode.  We still have our starred favorites using other guide modes.  Rebooting, resending signals, etc. has done nothing to fix the issue here.   It did a few days ago, but not now. 

Even viewing my favorites in the 400 range is crazy. It is such as jumbled mess of channels. No rhyme nor reason for their order.  Gives me a headache. I'd rather view all channels in the 1000 range and look for stars as I page through.  

Frequent Visitor

WRONG!  This problem is not solved and does not have a solution!   I think this is addressing a different issue.   I wish someone from Comcast would take an interest and let us know what is going on.  

Valued Contributor

I am not sure how "looking into it" is a solution, as nothing has been done to correct the issue, to bring back My Favorites to show all of them that we have marked.  Any other use of "My free" or having to look at all channels is not a solution in my mind.  Not trying to be picky but until it is fixed customers will continue to report the issue in new posts.  When the My Favorites shows those marked above the 999 channel numbers then the issue will be resolved.

New Poster

I have this problem as well. I called Comcast about a week ago and the agent didn't know anything about it. It is frustrating and I'm very disappointed this happened without warning. It does not make any logical sense, which usually means that someone is getting done kind of benefit from it ($).

Please, leave the "Free to Me" on the menu of you want, but bring back the favorites feature we all lost!
Service Expert

Khan_II wrote:
I have this problem as well. I called Comcast about a week ago and the agent didn't know anything about it. It is frustrating and I'm very disappointed this happened without warning. It does not make any logical sense, which usually means that someone is getting done kind of benefit from it ($).

Please, leave the "Free to Me" on the menu of you want, but bring back the favorites feature we all lost!

Which favorites feature are you referring to?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-guide-add-a-channel-to-favorites/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-guide-add-a-program-to-favorites/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

When you press "Guide" then select "Favorites" none of the channels greater than 1000 are accessible/shown.   This was working just fine for years until an update couple of weeks ago.  I find is so frustrating that no one at Comcast knows what we're talking about.

Valued Contributor

9-7-17 Update.  Called into comcast service today to see if there is anything related to this issue that has not appeared in this forum.  The agent stated: "that they have never heard of this issue where favorites >1000 is not showing up in the favorites guide".  When I mentioned that this forum is reporting it from many people, they did not even know about the forums.  In fact I had to tell them how and where to go to find the forums, I found that very interesting.  Just shows me that reporting issue or trying to get them fixed through the forum process does not allow the issues to be seen by the correct comcast technical staff and will delay in getting issues reported or a solution to the issue.  I continue to shake my head about the lack of customer focus that comcast has...

New Poster

When I first received HD channels, they were all in the 400s.

Later, they were all duplicated in the 800s.

Eventually, I migrated to the 800s range and became familiar with the sorting of channels in that range.

More recently, they duplicated channels again using 1000s.

I browsed them briefly and found no significant difference in selections from the 800s, so I stayed with them.

When I found that I could tag channels as favorites on the web page with a single click per channel, I finally took advantage of that.

It was much more practical than the slow, many stroke process per channel to tag things using the remote while viewing TV.

After that, each time I accessed the Guide, I had to press it twice and shift my selection over to select favorites.

Then I could much more easily browse through the listing to select things to record.

A few times, I've been confused and frustrated that a DVR recording set in the 800s got recorded on a 400 channel.

A couple of times, I found that something had been recorded on a <200 channel, which means NOT HD.

Most recently, the Guide was modified:

- It offered more choices of channel groupings. But still not a way (other than manually selected favorites) to see only channels in my package.

- I also found that I could set Favorites as my default Guide view.

- But the graphics look cheap and the picture box viewer in the lower right corner is no longer accessible using the B key (or any other method that I've found).

- And I quickly realized that many of my Favorites were missing from the browsing list with Favorites selected.

- Just random channels, and ranges of channels are missing from Guide.

I checked both on TV and online that all my Favorites were still selected. (With a star next to the channel. Not a heart. I've never seen a heart.)

I unplugged the box overnight and repowered in the morning.

No difference. And no change for a month or more, letting the box perform its overnight updates.

I now have to select HD channels and then scan though only the 800s, trying not to get lured into selecting a channel that's not in my package.

So, this long story is what prompted me to search for this issue and brought me to this forum.

Here, I found a huge list of similar issues reported from July through now.

The descriptions differ somewhat.

Some of that may be different use cases and different perceptions of the same root cause.

If there really is a "final solution" to this mess, I'd be pleased by someone posting a link to it.

Thanks.

P.S. I was amused when my first attempt to post this was rebuked with an admonishment that I had used a "bad word". In fact, it had found a 4-letter fragment of a 6-letter word. And, as 4-letter words go, it was pretty mild. In case anyone is curious, I replaced the 6-letter word with "lured".

New Poster

Looks like wfpeacock answered the question.  We have no problem adding channels to our "favorites."  We have a problem when we select to show just the favorites.  No channel above 999 which is favorited shows in the list.  Very, very frustrating!

Valued Contributor

The favorites are being re-coded for the new channel mapping. View the response from Ella here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Favorite-channels-above-1000-gone-from-favorit...

so please be patient. This process can't be easy to do. Has anyone tried to remove and then re-add the channel to see if any progress has been made?

Valued Contributor

From what I see nothing has changed yet.  I just find it interesting that the comcast updates consisitantly seem to break things that worked before.  It makes me wonder what type of testing is done, if any, prior to the release of their updates.  I come from a software developement environment and if we released product like this I would not have a job for very long.  The fact that it has taken this long for anything to come out from comcast is also a bad indication of their focus on customer satisfaction.  IMO.

New Poster

NOT SOLVED. At the end of this thread it seems that a Comcast employee understands the issue and, although not giving a date for the fix, she lends hope that they understand the problem. Please stop telling us how to add favorite channels. Please DO tell us how to get them to show up in our guides LIKE THEY USED TO DO.

Frequent Visitor

Hey FEDUP978...   sounds like someone flunk their STLC class doesn't it

New Poster

10-9-17: just read ALL the mail on this issue and the issue is NOT resolved. My guide, when in favorites, does not show any station i have marked as a favorite above 1000. It has been like that for several months and from what I'm reading this is the same for everyone. It seems we all wasted a bunch of our valuable time trying to fix the problem. I think Comcast is awful to say the least for releasing an update which took away a service we were relying on AND did not disclose it. I read everything the company put out on the change and the change/issue is not mentioned, prompting me to waste more time thinking i was doing something wrong and spend more of my time. I feel Comcast owes its customers a sincere apology. This monopolyis on my last nerve
Service Expert

People complained that they didn't like having duplicate channels with Favorites so Comcast changed the way Favorites behaves.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

If customers had duplicates in their "favorites"  the customers had a very easy fix for that in that they could remove one of them from their list because the favorite list was/is created by the customer.  For comcast to make changes to the "favorites" area for that complaint seems like it has done more damage to customer satisfaction than was required.  One would think that they would have checked to see if a channel >1000 could be added but it appears that test of their change did not take place.  I continue to find the lack of testing on changes be very poor.  It seems they create more issue than they were attempting to resolve.  IMHO

New Poster

This is an issue that I would like to see resolved.

What is the point of having channels 1002-1876 nicely organized if it is impossible to use those channel numbers in a favorites list?

Example: I choose 1002 KDKA and add it as a Favorite

it shows up as 191 on my favorites list.

again, this makes the organized 1002-1876 list pointless

This should be an easy fix that an update would resolve. Simple programming.
Customer Servive 101

Service Expert

DTC_DuBois wrote:

This is an issue that I would like to see resolved.

What is the point of having channels 1002-1876 nicely organized if it is impossible to use those channel numbers in a favorites list?

Example: I choose 1002 KDKA and add it as a Favorite

it shows up as 191 on my favorites list.

again, this makes the organized 1002-1876 list pointless

This should be an easy fix that an update would resolve. Simple programming.
Customer Servive 101

The majority of users were very unhappy having 2 listings in their favorites for one channel so they turned it off on the X1 set top boxes for now. The stream devices all show the 4 digit channel numbers along with the lower 3-digit channel number. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Rusty, we all understand that comast has several channel numbers  that show the same named networks, but if they had programed the favorites using the unique channel numbers instead of the network name this issue would not be something the customers would be upset about.  This should be an easy fix for a very simple problem but for some reason comcast has made the decision to not understand nor to make any move to resolve it other than to not allow Favorites to show any channel >1000.  Many like the way the channels are laid out in the >1000 range verse the hap hazard layout <1000.  Just saying.

Frequent Visitor

Well said fedup978!!!!     Just put some code in that would allow the user to select to see channels <1000 or >1000 in their favorites.... I'm pretty sure that if Comcast wanted to fix this it would take about 10 minutes of a programmers time.  OMG, It's not rocket science!!!!!! 

Service Expert

wfpeacock wrote:

Well said fedup978!!!!     Just put some code in that would allow the user to select to see channels <1000 or >1000 in their favorites.... I'm pretty sure that if Comcast wanted to fix this it would take about 10 minutes of a programmers time.  OMG, It's not rocket science!!!!!! 

when they stopped showing the 1000+ on the X1 set top boxes as favorites, Comcast said they are reworking the feature. To me, that says they are trying to come up with a way to do as you said.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I just got off the phone with customer service and was told they were going to have this issue resolved this afternoon.  I am not holding my breath on this one.

New Poster

I just got off the phone AGAIN with a Tech agent.   She was not even familiar with this ongoing issue.   Was not aware of this Forum and that the issue has been going on since last August (at least).    So, aother box rest and she will call me back in an hour to see if it has been resolved.  I told it probably won't be.  It wasn't after the last time I called 2 weeks ago.  And AGAIN I was told it would be escilated for resolution.   I have no faith in this company at this point.  

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats