Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Fast forward issues

New Poster

Fast forward issues

I am having multiple FFWD issues....
1. FFWD1 when hitting play jumps forward instead of back a couple seconds.
2. FFWD2 sometimes ffwds at hyper speed... A full hour in a second!
3. FFWD1 sometimes just skips 5 mins forward
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Fast forward issues

I get this self same issue. It typically comes up when doing this at minute 26 into a show (although not exclusively).

Expert

Mcdonut wrote:
I am having multiple FFWD issues....
1. FFWD1 when hitting play jumps forward instead of back a couple seconds.
2. FFWD2 sometimes ffwds at hyper speed... A full hour in a second!
3. FFWD1 sometimes just skips 5 mins forward

was this during playback of a recording on a DVR or for playing an on-demand program?

New Poster

I get the same issue and it is from DVR playback. It started the beginning of this month.

New Poster

I have the same issue for the last couple of months.  DVR and 'live' TV.  Sometimes it goes back an hour when watching 'live' tv and FF to 'live' when i just want to skip a commercial.  At first it was sporadic and now it is almost constant.  I had to restart a show from my DVR four times last night because each time I would FF it would skip to the end and ask if I wanted to delete the show.

Contributor

We've been getting this same problem a lot with random DVR recordings on random channels for the last few months.  At first I thought it was my Logitech Harmony remote acting funny but since there's no command I know of for the DVR that should cause it to fast forward at that kind of speed I quickly realized it's either the DVR or a software bug.  We're using one of the Pace DVR's, the PX001ANM in case it matters.  I've noticed sometimes it will "catch" itself before I can react and rubber-band back to the proper spot, other times yeah it just shoots to the end and says "would you like to delete........".  Doesn't seem to matter the show length or how far in either.  I've had it happen with less than ten minutes left in an hour long show.  

I usually double press the FF button to forward at 2x through commercials but when I thought it was the remote I even tried single press and it would still do it.  I don't think it has ever happened to an on demand show though, but then those don't normally allow FF through commercials.

Expert

Flyinion wrote:

We've been getting this same problem a lot with random DVR recordings on random channels for the last few months.  At first I thought it was my Logitech Harmony remote acting funny but since there's no command I know of for the DVR that should cause it to fast forward at that kind of speed I quickly realized it's either the DVR or a software bug.  We're using one of the Pace DVR's, the PX001ANM in case it matters.  I've noticed sometimes it will "catch" itself before I can react and rubber-band back to the proper spot, other times yeah it just shoots to the end and says "would you like to delete........".  Doesn't seem to matter the show length or how far in either.  I've had it happen with less than ten minutes left in an hour long show.  

I usually double press the FF button to forward at 2x through commercials but when I thought it was the remote I even tried single press and it would still do it.  I don't think it has ever happened to an on demand show though, but then those don't normally allow FF through commercials.

I had intermittent same issues but with this update ... 2.5p8s1 10/4 / 1.67.06 9/30 found 10/12 --- the problem so far has not happened again. Do you have those versions? (may need to match DVR if you are watching on a companion set top box).

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Flyinion wrote:

I had intermittent same issues but with this update ... 2.5p8s1 10/4 / 1.67.06 9/30 found 10/12 --- the problem so far has not happened again. Do you have those versions? (may need to match DVR if you are watching on a companion set top box).

I'll have to check.  If I do it must have come in yesterday after lunch (noon-ish Pacific) because at that time I actually had a FF incident, but we had guests over last night and didn't get to any DVR stuff.

New Poster

me too... very annoying.. I watch most shows as DVR recordings and it will sometimes go 45 minutes or more when i am just wanting to skip commercial. Occasionally it flips back but not most of the time? Is it the remote or.....?

Expert

karenfleming12 wrote:

me too... very annoying.. I watch most shows as DVR recordings and it will sometimes go 45 minutes or more when i am just wanting to skip commercial. Occasionally it flips back but not most of the time? Is it the remote or.....?

It is a new "feature" which allows us to skip to the end of a recording rather than 2x, 3x, 4x.  I usually just press the pause button to stop it before it gets to the end.  It is handy sometimes.

Frequent Visitor

I have had the same issue for awhile fro several months. Did you ever get a response from Comcast?

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Flyinion wrote:

This is an increasing and deteriorating issue for me. It's getting worse and has been ongoing for at least two months. I have 2.5p8s2 and 1.67.07 10/12 and the problem is worse than ever. It occurs on live TV when trying to rewind and watch as well as on DVR videos. I try to avoid commercials as much as possible, so having the rewind and FF functions malfunction continuously is extremely annoying. If I just turn on my TV and immediately try to rewind what has been recording, it will jump all the way back to the beginning and then not play the recording. Sometimes I lose what is recorded entirely, most of the time I hit FF and it jumps back to the beginning. Sometimes it rewinds correctly; othertimes in stalls or skips 15-30 minute segments. It will do the same thing if I try to FF through a commercial. I have done multiple hard resets--pulled the plug and restarted the box. It has made no difference. I can't find anywhere that Comcast is responding to this problem.

Expert

SFguy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Flyinion wrote:

This is an increasing and deteriorating issue for me. It's getting worse and has been ongoing for at least two months. I have 2.5p8s2 and 1.67.07 10/12 and the problem is worse than ever. It occurs on live TV when trying to rewind and watch as well as on DVR videos. I try to avoid commercials as much as possible, so having the rewind and FF functions malfunction continuously is extremely annoying. If I just turn on my TV and immediately try to rewind what has been recording, it will jump all the way back to the beginning and then not play the recording. Sometimes I lose what is recorded entirely, most of the time I hit FF and it jumps back to the beginning. Sometimes it rewinds correctly; othertimes in stalls or skips 15-30 minute segments. It will do the same thing if I try to FF through a commercial. I have done multiple hard resets--pulled the plug and restarted the box. It has made no difference. I can't find anywhere that Comcast is responding to this problem.

Call Comcast customer service and ask them to run an "Einstein 31-point check" on your X1 system.

New Poster

These seem to be issues with the software that Comcast is "updating" rather than issues caused by a specific hardware/firmware/configuration of the individual X1 DVR.  They really need to improve there software QA and stop shipping these unintended "features" (i.e. bugs).  The absence of any Comcast "known defect list" leaves each of us wondering if it could possibly be an issue with your specific system, but the odds are it's not.  These forums appear to be to the only way to confirm that "it's not just me".

It's frustrating that calling Comcast for an issue of this kind seems to only result in the support folk pulling out their one size fits all hammer and they suggest that they can set up a service call to have someone come out and take look at it.  Unless that someone is from their DVR software team it's just a waste of their time and yours.

My working theory is that as they are working on implementing their DVR cloud service where all content is maintained in a centralized location and are streamed to the customers.  They've begun by sending all button presses to Philly and back before responding to the input on the DVR.  I'm only half joking.

As their software component becomes more and more of the implementation and software defects in their products is ever more likely the root cause of the issues that customers see they really need to work on a way to push the status of these issues out to there support organization.  Without this their just annoying there customers and I'm frustrating there support organization as well.

Frequent Visitor

Someone commented that this is a new feature??  Fast Forward randomly going so fast that it will go to the end of a DVR show within a few seconds?  How can that possibly be a new feature?

However, Comcast did add what I call "Lightning Fast Forward".  Press FF 5 times.  After you see FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, press FF one more time and you will see a lightning bolt instead of FF5 and you will see the little "dot" begin "sliding" to the end of the show within 3 or 4 seconds.

The same feature works with Fast Reverse as well.

Now WAIT!  Before the Comcast people say "You must have pushed the FF button five times and gone into Lightning FF mode!", that is NOT what happened.  If that was the problem, then everyone would have seen where they have accidentally gone into FF3 or FF4 mode - and that isn't happening.  Since we first saw this bug, we have been very, very careful and made sure that we have pressed the FF button twice -- and the bug is still occurring.  When the bug happens, I don't see the Lightning symbol.  And sometimes, the bug goes to the very end of the show but many time, the show goes forward by 20 to 40 minutes and then stops.

I don't notice anything on the screen that indicates that the bug is occurring other than the "current place" marker is zipping along.  So then we've missed 20, 30, 40, ??, minutes of the show and we're trying to figure out why the show doesn't make any sense --- until we realize that we've missed so much of our show.

So now how do we get  Comcast to acknowledge that this is a real bug and how do we get Comcast to work on fixing this bug?  I have been having this problem for 2 months at least along with other people on this thread  and I I have yet to see someone from Comcast say "Yes, we're aware of this bug and we are working on fixing it." and even better add "And the bug number is XXXXXX."

I've written software for over 40 years for several companies and it is very common for bugs not to be officially logged as a problem.  The higher-up people in a company then see that there are very few unresolved bugs in a product so everyone is happy and heads do not roll.  Until enough people have complained about the bug and one of the higher-up people discovers that this is a real problem.

Enough ranting and raving.  At least one other person has complained about the absence of a Comcast "known defect list".  If Comcast won't do this, we might have to start a list of our own.

Bill

Regular Visitor

We have seen this issue also. Most of the time its only after 5 clicks of the FF button. Sometimes it does happen after only 2 or 3 clicks. I hope they fix this soon or we may be switching to Directv. They have all the channels we need also. 

Frequent Visitor

bluehawks206 wrote:

We have seen this issue also. Most of the time its only after 5 clicks of the FF button. Sometimes it does happen after only 2 or 3 clicks. I hope they fix this soon or we may be switching to Directv. They have all the channels we need also. 

I have similar problem. My solution: Reprogrammed my XR2 remote to have thePageUp

button skip forward for 30 seconds thus bypassing the fast forward button.

here is how to reprogram

hit EXIT BUTTON 3 TIMES, then 0030, then XFINITY button.

Hope it helps

Contributor

Put me down for the same issues.  Started about a month or two ago.  Push FF one or more times and it skips waaaay ahead, often to the end of the recording.  It makes watching recorded programs annoying instead of pleasant.  I'm using the PgUp at a 30 second interval but that, for me, isn't the perfect solution, either.  Just wanted to post on this topic so Comcast knows there are numerous issues with their update.

New Poster

I also have exactly the same problem. Has been happening for the last couple of months.

I agree that this feels like a software bug. Someone suggested that Comcast is making changes in preparation for migration to the cloud and that the changes are causing bugs.

We had a service call from Comcast about 10 months ago and the service guy said that the cloud migration would be done by summer 2016. I recall thinking at the time that they would not meet that deadline.

New Poster

Add another one to the same FF problem. 

Happens during recordings... just lightning jumps to the end before you can even react.  Sometimes on 1 FF push, sometimes on 2.

Frustrating to say the least.

Anyone else think it is stupid to push the button on the remote, send it via the internet to somewhere to figure out what you pushed, then send it back to the DVR over the internet to execute the command?  

Regular Contributor

atl_jea wrote:

Anyone else think it is stupid to push the button on the remote, send it via the internet to somewhere to figure out what you pushed, then send it back to the DVR over the internet to execute the command?  

AMEN brother.

Gold Problem Solver

Personally I think it is because Comcast is tracking, collecting and therefore selling all the information they gather from the cloud based guide.

Didn't a Comcast employee in another thread say they were aware of this issue and the fix was coming soon?
New Poster

Same problem here with Fast Forward of DVR program.  Started suddenly a month or more ago and has gotten really bad.  I don't want to try to FFWD through commercials and risk having it jump to end and then have to try to get back to the same spot in the show.  Really getting annoyed about it.  I would ditch Comcast in a heartbeat if there was any decent alternative.

New Poster

Have had this issue for at least 3 months. The only partial solution I've found is to FF 1x for about 5 seconds then do FF2. Doesn't always work.  Curiously, it's only a problem on the main DVR. The secondary box (with the same recordings) is fine. Different generation X1 box, though. 

Comcast only "solution" is to swap out the box. Haven't done this and it doesn't sound like that would even fix the problem. How do we get Comcast to acknowledge the issue, let alone come up with a solution?  

Expert

sowhynot1 wrote:

Have had this issue for at least 3 months. The only partial solution I've found is to FF 1x for about 5 seconds then do FF2. Doesn't always work.  Curiously, it's only a problem on the main DVR. The secondary box (with the same recordings) is fine. Different generation X1 box, though. 

Comcast only "solution" is to swap out the box. Haven't done this and it doesn't sound like that would even fix the problem. How do we get Comcast to acknowledge the issue, let alone come up with a solution?  

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/DVR-skips-to-the-end-of-the-program/m-p/2839900#M119931

Frequent Visitor

Me TOO!! WHY is everyone posting the same FFwd problem for MONTHS and I'm not seeing any correction.

It started for me, suddenly, too, about 4 months ago. It never occurred prior to this! This just stinks that they have not fixed yet!!

They advised me to change the DVR box--3 months ago. It did nothing to correct the problem. A month later, I called back and they suggested that my modem is outdated, to change it! I did not yet. Just this week I had weird freezing issues. They claimed it was weather related. But I called later. Also brought up this FFwd issue and the guy said it couldn't be the modem, that mine was not outdated. WHO knows anything!!!!

New Poster

Same problem as all of the above. Started for me around 10-16 ..  Finally tired of it and called tech support. They said not aware of any troubles related to fast-forward . (OK) ..   Suggested I swap boxes which I did today and same problem as before. Anyone have any update on this issue?  Tx

New Poster

• The 
New Poster

I have noticed the same problem, starting a few months ago. Especially when watching recorded sporting events, if I try to FF through the commericals (the whole reason for recording the show or game versus watching it live), the recording will frequently jump 15-20 minutes ahead, and then when I try to rewind it jumps back to the commercial.

I assume it is not a glitch or bug, but rather a deliberate strategy by Xfinity, forced by advertisers who won't continue to pay knowing viewers don't watch their stupid ads.

But the result will simply, at least for me, a refusal to watch TV at all. I am not sitting through endless and mindless ads just to watch a show. Nothing on TV is that good.

If I can't watch it on my own terms, I simply won't watch. If more people approached it this way, I suspect Xfinity would "suddenly" fix the problem.

Expert

Anteaters82 wrote:

I have noticed the same problem, starting a few months ago. Especially when watching recorded sporting events, if I try to FF through the commericals (the whole reason for recording the show or game versus watching it live), the recording will frequently jump 15-20 minutes ahead, and then when I try to rewind it jumps back to the commercial.

I assume it is not a glitch or bug, but rather a deliberate strategy by Xfinity, forced by advertisers who won't continue to pay knowing viewers don't watch their stupid ads.

But the result will simply, at least for me, a refusal to watch TV at all. I am not sitting through endless and mindless ads just to watch a show. Nothing on TV is that good.

If I can't watch it on my own terms, I simply won't watch. If more people approached it this way, I suspect Xfinity would "suddenly" fix the problem.

If I had your issue, I would take the DVR to my Xfinity store and get a free swap.  BUT----you will lose the recordings on the DVR; some may still be available from the Cloud.