Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Degraded Cable Broadcast Resolution on New OLED LG TV (65")

Frequent Visitor

Degraded Cable Broadcast Resolution on New OLED LG TV (65")

I attemted to find a recent topic/discussion regarding this issue to no avail.  My calls to Comcast/Xfinity have had the same result.

I recently transitioned from a 2008 50" Samsung 1080p Plasma Television (PN50A650) to a 2016 65" LG OLED UHD Television (LG B6).

I find that the resoution on many typical, common broadcasts (i.e., CBS, NBC, various cable channels) appear to be degraded, as it relates to sharpness/picture quality, on my new television, in contrast to my older plasma television.  It really depends on the individual broadcast on various channels as some appear better/clearer/sharper than others.  However, I never experienced this issue with my 50" 1080p Plasma.  All the broadcasts (which are mostly in 1080i) appeared rather sharp with the Plasma.

Just to be clear, the clarity/sharpness is not awful.  I just find it, in my opinion and the opinion of others who have experienced both TV's, to be degrated and not as sharp.

I just wanted to mention the following as I know they will probably come up in discussion:

1) The device settings (video resolution-output) with the X1 box are correct. 

2)  My HDMI cables are current HDMI 2.0 high speed cables and the connections are correct.

3)  I've thoroughly reviewed the settings on the LG television as they relate to picture quality.

4)  The picture quality on the LG is tack sharp/absolutely superb when viewing streaming content, to include UHD and UHD/HDR content, so I know there is not a resolution issue with the television.

I'm just curious whether others have had a similar experience and whether or not they have recommedations/suggestions.  Could it have to do with the television attempting to upscale the content somehow?  The size of the screen?  However, I somehow doubt that these should effect the quality or presentation of the broadcast.

I appreciate any and all thoughts and opinions on the matter.  It's greatly appreciated.

Regular Contributor

Re: Degraded Cable Broadcast Resolution on New OLED LG TV (65")

The resolution of all HD channels on Comcast is now 720p -- no longer shall we see the beauty that is 1080i.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Gold Problem Solver

Plenty of current information about your concern is available in this forum....
Frequent Visitor

Well....if you could be so kind as to post the link and/or links, or better yet, provide a quick response/explanation, i'd appreciate it. As stated, I did a number of quick searches with no relatable result.

Regular Contributor

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Comcast-downgrading-all-1080i-HD-channels-to-720p/m-p/28...

In the 3rd post, there is a link to another thread. Post #13 in that thread comes from a Comcast representative.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

egnlsn

Thanks for the response.  Although informative, I don't think the information is relative to the specific issue at hand.  Regarless, of the feed resolution (1080i vs. 720p or whatever) - i've tried all the output resolutions - the issue pertains to the compartivie clarity/sharpness issues between my former and current televisions.  Essentially, both televisions are/were receiving the same feed.  I've troubleshot as much as I can. 

The other poster, RickGR4, might know what the issue is. Hopefully he will eventually respond to the issue at hand, as I have not had any luck with my less capable forum searching skills.

General note:  If someone posts a question asking for help, it's not that helpful to tell someone that the answer exists somewhere in space on the forum, but not provide any actual, valuable information.  One might think that another needs to exhaust hours upon hours of reading to find the exact issue and corresponding answer, but I disagree.  It's just as easy to post a legitimate response.  I do it all the time in other forums where I have the answer someone needs, as opposed to posting a snarky response, just because I can. 

Regular Contributor

Resolution is not relative to picture quality?

You can have the best TV in the world, but if what goes into it is garbage, what you see isn't going to be all that much better. When you change the output resolution of the box, all you do is tell the box to upscale it to 1080i or 1080p. The signal going into the box is still 720p. All upscaling does is fill in the blanks with what it thinks should be there. You do not get the same 1080i picture that the content provider originally sent out.

And, on your general note, I agree with you completely. People come to these (and other) forums looking for help, not to simply be told "Just look it up."

CIAO!

Ed N.
Gold Problem Solver

Actually I know a great deal about this issue. But I also believe in resourcefulness, "forum etiquette" and not duplicating threads. Sorry man but you aren't the first person to claim they "searched this forum" and you certainly won't be the last.

This info ain't hard to find. Use the forum search box. Type in "picture quality"... Type in "OLED"... Type in "OTA"...Type in "4K"... Type in 720p or 1080p... Read the current thread going on about Netflix...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Netflix-on-X1/td-p/2802043

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Poor-quality-video-and-downgraded-audio-with-Cloud-DVR/td-p/2827574

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Picture-Quality-Poor-for-all-programming-Live-TV-On-Demand-DVR/td-p/...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Game-of-Thrones-picture-quality-Crushed-blacks/td-p/2746427

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Badly-Degraded-Picture-on-all-HD-channels/td-p/2828909

bcourt99 wrote:

egnlsn

Thanks for the response.  Although informative, I don't think the information is relative to the specific issue at hand.  Regarless, of the feed resolution (1080i vs. 720p or whatever) - i've tried all the output resolutions - the issue pertains to the compartivie clarity/sharpness issues between my former and current televisions.  Essentially, both televisions are/were receiving the same feed.  I've troubleshot as much as I can. 

The other poster, RickGR4, might know what the issue is. Hopefully he will eventually respond to the issue at hand, as I have not had any luck with my less capable forum searching skills.

General note:  If someone posts a question asking for help, it's not that helpful to tell someone that the answer exists somewhere in space on the forum, but not provide any actual, valuable information.  One might think that another needs to exhaust hours upon hours of reading to find the exact issue and corresponding answer, but I disagree.  It's just as easy to post a legitimate response.  I do it all the time in other forums where I have the answer someone needs, as opposed to posting a snarky response, just because I can. 

Gold Problem Solver

egnlsn wrote:

"You can have the best TV in the world, but if what goes into it is garbage, what you see isn't going to be all that much better. "

Based on my recent experience with my new LG OLED, I am not sure I agree with this comment. Better TVs have better video processing capabilities. I am starting to believe that ultra high end TVs might very well be capable of removing or filtering out what many people see as picture defects. I don't see what some people are complaining about and I still believe for the most part this is a TV quality, TV setting and possibly market/signal related issue.

Obviously, I read the complaints people have a about X1 picture quality. I have been to COUNTLESS customers homes and I have seen countless different TV's connected to countless sources (including X1)  in countless settings. Cheap TVs are cheap TVs and sometimes it can't be masked.

Are LG OLED's that good? Calibrated and properly adjusted it is possible they are just that good.

Also, I have found that Arris DVR's have better picture quality than other X1 boxes do... including the XG2. I like the XG2 but I would never have one connected to my LG OLED. I found the XG2 picture quality to be softer and bloated. Very acceptable on my smaller TVs but not acceptable on my OLED.

All this bein said, my market has not gone through the 720P/MPEG4 conversion so who knows what is going to happen.

Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

egnlsn

Yes. Resolution is definitely relative to picture quality. I didn’t intend to imply otherwise. I was just trying to state that regardless of the incoming stream (in this case, Comcast’s 720p), if the same resolution is set in both test scenarios (the Samsung Plasma and the LG OLED) via the Comcast output resolution setting, and the picture quality differs, we can logically deduce that the output setting is not necessarily the issue in THIS particular case, not that the output setting is not important in the grand scheme of things. My technical knowledge is not super advanced in this arena, which is why I wondered at the end of my original post whether or not this has to do with upscaling, t.v. size, etc. other than the output setting, which was tested on my end.

Yes, one can argue that I don’t have the Television’s (LG B6) settings exactly correct, thus deducing the picture quality degradation issue to my incorrect picture setting choices on the television itself. However, I have spent much time with the picture calibration settings/options (utilizing Rtings.com) and other settings articles. No luck. I don’t think that is the issue.  Who knows...

RickGr4

I actually did find/read some of those articles.

The first two links…well…. I didn’t see the applicability to my situation in either one…..at least in the first 3 or 4 pages of reading each thread. 

The third link I read in depth. However, it just devolved into arguments, discussions of amps, signal loss, different quality in different geographic areas, different boxes, etc. without ever settling on a general consensus as to what is the true issue.

I have legit, quality, high speed HDMI Cables. I have the most current X1 Box. My settings are either correct and/or have tried various settings options, as far as I can calculate….for both my TV and the X1 box. I have an amplifier installed in my house (whether it’s the PPC Evo 5, I have no clue. I’ll have to look).

The last two articles also point to signal/picture quality issues but that’s it….they just talk about the issue.

If you were simply just trying to tell me in your original post that my concerns are discussed in numerous posts on the forum, then you sir are definitely correct.  No doubt about that.

However, I didnt' come to the forum simply to vent or complain or read about complaints. I can have a lovely coversation with Comcast on the phone if I want to do that Smiley Wink  I'm just trying to figure out where the issue lies first and foremost, before I disparage Comcast and give them grief when the issue may lie elsewhere. I’m hoping to find a thread/post somewhere in the forum that actually points to a resolution of the issue, other than just ranting or hopping to DirecTv or Dish for a better signal….Yep. I’m pretty sure that last comment might spark another discussion. Ha.

The search continues….

Gold Problem Solver

The problem is...

X1 may be new to you but it is now over 3.5 years old. This is primarily a user to user forum. Comcast employees participate in this forum but on a casual basis. Because X1 is over 3.5 years old, Comcast along with members of this forum has heard every complaint. Anything you might want to "vent" has been vented here countless times before.

The other problem is...

Comcast like just about every large company in the USA requires secrecy from their employees. Spend more time in this forum and you will realize just how little Comcast employees comment on. It's simply because they aren't allowed to comment unless an official public announcement has been made.

FYI#1. I am aware of rtings settings in regards to OLEDs. I was able to slightly improve on them.

FYI#2: It is fairly common knowledge that DirecTV has better picture quality (my best friend who owns a 65" Panny plasma and is a trained ISF TV calibrator) puts the picture quality difference at "more than 10%".

FYI#3: I think most people would tell you the problem is reduction in bandwidth and higher compression. Comcast appears to value 1GB internet service more than cable TV picture quality (I have had more than one Comcast tech/engineer admit this) and they are steering bandwidth away from cable TV.

bcourt99 wrote:

egnlsn

Yes. Resolution is definitely relative to picture quality. I didn’t intend to imply otherwise. I was just trying to state that regardless of the incoming stream (in this case, Comcast’s 720p), if the same resolution is set in both test scenarios (the Samsung Plasma and the LG OLED) via the Comcast output resolution setting, and the picture quality differs, we can logically deduce that the output setting is not necessarily the issue in THIS particular case, not that the output setting is not important in the grand scheme of things. My technical knowledge is not super advanced in this arena, which is why I wondered at the end of my original post whether or not this has to do with upscaling, t.v. size, etc. other than the output setting, which was tested on my end.

Yes, one can argue that I don’t have the Television’s (LG B6) settings exactly correct, thus deducing the picture quality degradation issue to my incorrect picture setting choices on the television itself. However, I have spent much time with the picture calibration settings/options (utilizing Rtings.com) and other settings articles. No luck. I don’t think that is the issue.  Who knows...

RickGr4

I actually did find/read some of those articles.

The first two links…well…. I didn’t see the applicability to my situation in either one…..at least in the first 3 or 4 pages of reading each thread. 

The third link I read in depth. However, it just devolved into arguments, discussions of amps, signal loss, different quality in different geographic areas, different boxes, etc. without ever settling on a general consensus as to what is the true issue.

I have legit, quality, high speed HDMI Cables. I have the most current X1 Box. My settings are either correct and/or have tried various settings options, as far as I can calculate….for both my TV and the X1 box. I have an amplifier installed in my house (whether it’s the PPC Evo 5, I have no clue. I’ll have to look).

The last two articles also point to signal/picture quality issues but that’s it….they just talk about the issue.

If you were simply just trying to tell me in your original post that my concerns are discussed in numerous posts on the forum, then you sir are definitely correct.  No doubt about that.

However, I didnt' come to the forum simply to vent or complain or read about complaints. I can have a lovely coversation with Comcast on the phone if I want to do that Smiley Wink  I'm just trying to figure out where the issue lies first and foremost, before I disparage Comcast and give them grief when the issue may lie elsewhere. I’m hoping to find a thread/post somewhere in the forum that actually points to a resolution of the issue, other than just ranting or hopping to DirecTv or Dish for a better signal….Yep. I’m pretty sure that last comment might spark another discussion. Ha.

The search continues….

Regular Contributor

I know they do. I think I've made that comment to you privately before. My meaning was simply that regardless of the TV set, the picture from a 720p source will not look as good as the picture from a 1080i source.

RickGr4 wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

"You can have the best TV in the world, but if what goes into it is garbage, what you see isn't going to be all that much better. "

Based on my recent experience with my new LG OLED, I am not sure I agree with this comment. Better TVs have better video processing capabilities.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert

egnlsn wrote:

I know they do. I think I've made that comment to you privately before. My meaning was simply that regardless of the TV set, the picture from a 720p source will not look as good as the picture from a 1080i source.

RickGr4 wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

Based on my recent experience with my new LG OLED, I am not sure I agree with this comment. Better TVs have better video processing capabilities.

So, upconverting can't improve picture quality, is that what you are saying?

My market (Houston) seems to have gone through the changeover to 720p.  Every time I turn on my 60" Samsung 3D LED TV (no comments from the peanut gallery about 3D, please <g>}, I see it switch from 720p to 1080p.  I am assuming that is the "tell" that we are converted.

Since my TV is 5 years old, it apparently doesn't have a better panel like the newer TV's have, so I can't see the difference.

And I do have 77-year-old eyesight.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

No, I did not say that upconverting can't improve picture quality. I said that in a picture, making an educated guess as to what is supposed to be there can never be as good as the original information actually being there (in the same TV set)(NOT comparing Vizio to Samsung to Sharp to LG to Sony to Panasonic to whatever).

Yes, a 720p picture fed into an LG OLED is going to look better than a 1080i picture on a Panasonic.

RobertWy wrote:

CIAO!

Ed N.
Gold Problem Solver

egnlsn wrote:

Yes, a 720p picture fed into an LG OLED is going to look better than a 1080i picture on a Panasonic.

RobertWy wrote:

Ed I would cautious with this analogy. Panasonic plasma TVs from the 2012 to 2014 time frame were considered to be superb TV sets (the VT and ZT series in particular). So good that many people feel they were not beaten until OLED came along. I would rather watch my 2013 55" Panny plasma than just about any standard LED TV has been produced.

That being said, now that I have had an LG OLED for about 4 months I can verify they are on another level. The importance of "infinite blacks" cannot be underestimated...

Regular Contributor

I was going to say Vizio, but I didn't want to come across as always slamming on Vizio.  Smiley Wink

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

I had a similar problem. I purchased a new Sony 4k UHDTV shortly before Thanksgiving, and actually just returned it because of the Xfinity quality. The quality of the TV on everything else is amazing (YouTube, Apple TV, Netflix, etc...), but anything on Xfinity was almost like somewhere between SD and HD (noticeable decrease in quality from my current 720 plasma from 6 years ago). I felt the same as you, the quality wasn't awful necessarily, just a noticeable lack in sharpness or clarity that nothing I could do would fix. 

It looked particularly bad on network TV as well as NFL RedZone, ESPN and HBO. After a lot of research and even a tech coming out, I basically figured out that the TV was essentially too good for Xfinity. It was trying too hard to upscale the poor Xfinity quality and it made it look even worse. I tried tweaking the settings every possible way but nothing made it look the way it should and it was very frustrating. 

Visitor

I also just purchased the B6 and have been underwhelmed by the Xfinity HD picture. Everything streamed through Web OS (netflix, YouTube etc.) looks amazing but the cable channels don't look as good as I think they should.

Posting to see if there has been any further information gathered by any of the posters in this thread.
Visitor

I have 2 Samsung ks9000's in the house and they look SO GOOD on cable.. Almost 4k quality it's surprising, maybe just better upscaling engines or whatever? Idk.. But I just hooked up an OLED B6 and I'm either about to get another cable provider or return this piece. I can't even read subtitles on the screen the resolution is so bad! Lg or Comcast whatever.. What's the deal here?! 4K$ at the store should get me 4K at home Smiley Wink
Gold Problem Solver

I am going to add here that I just received the latest issue of Consumer Reports. In this issue they did a large TV test. LG OLED totally dominated. They easily outscored the Samsung 9800 (Samsung's best TV) and the new Sony Z series.

Essentially Consumer Reports verified what I have been saying for six months. LG OLED is probably the best TV ever made.

In regards to how X1 looks on an OLED, I think it looks great. However it should be noted that my OLED is calibrated, I know how to adjust it and I have my X1 DVR connected to it, not a Companion box. I think the X1 DVRs have a sharper picture than the Companion boxes do.

Personally, I think that anyone who feels Samsung has a better picture is confusing brightness with overall picture quality. Yes, Samsungs are bright. Too bright for my tastes. Black levels are the king and queen. Not brightness. The current Samsungs are very good TVs but they ain't better than an LG OLED.

Then we should we should take about how poor the viewing angles are on the current Samsung sets with their "VA" panels.

It should be also noted that Sony just announced that they are getting back into the consumer OLED market (using LG panels)...

Frequent Visitor

Yep.  I can definitely state, at least for me, that the problem was rectified by moving to DIRECTV.  Done and Done. I knew I had the settings correct on the LG B6 television.  It came down to the following. As you increase the quality of the television and it's cababilities and couple that with a larger screen size (I went from 50" to 65"), you basically amplify existing negative picture quality issues that may not necessarily be obvious on a smaller television with less pixels. Yes, i'm sure there are other variables, like bandwith in certain geographic areas, etc.  Need to make sure I appease the supergeeks in my attempt at an answer/explanation.  You can read about bandwith restriction issues, MGPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4, etc. etc, macroblocking, etc.....ad naseum, ad naseum here and elsewhere until your head explodes.  To me, whatever issues my local Comcast provider had, the switch to DIRECTV fixed it all.  Is the pic quality absolutely perfect?  No.  It's not Ultra HD blu-ray.  It is what it is and that's way better than it was before.

Service Expert

Topic now Closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation