Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

DVR skips to the end of the program

New Poster

DVR skips to the end of the program

My DVR skips to the end of the program when using my remote when I try to fast forward.  Sometimes it will come back to where it's supposed to be but other times it will go to the end and then leave the taped program and I have to start over again from the beginning.  It happens very frequently.  I have rebooted and disconnected the electric to it and it still happens.  I've also called customer service and they sent some signal and it is still doing it.  What is next?

Expert

Re: DVR skips to the end of the program

bossyaussie wrote:

My DVR skips to the end of the program when using my remote when I try to fast forward.  Sometimes it will come back to where it's supposed to be but other times it will go to the end and then leave the taped program and I have to start over again from the beginning.  It happens very frequently.  I have rebooted and disconnected the electric to it and it still happens.  I've also called customer service and they sent some signal and it is still doing it.  What is next?

Which cable platform do you have?  Legacy or X1 ?

Silver Problem Solver

Does it happen on all channels, or just a few. Do you know if you are in an area that has upgraded to the new MPEG4 compression (required new boxes.) I have noticed odd things with a few channels, most notably BBC America, Syfy. I have non-X1. I don't use FF, but usually use the 'hidden' 30-sec skip. The 30-sec skip works, but then the 15-sec review doesn't always back up 15 seconds.

New Poster

I have the X1.  It appens for all channels and I have HD cable.  It's random when it happens.  If I watch the sam DVR'd show twice it may happen in different places or maybe not at all one time.  

New Poster

It happens on any channel, mostly on things that I have taped.  I'm not sure if they updated in my area.  I have the X1 box.

Expert

bossyaussie wrote:

It happens on any channel, mostly on things that I have taped.  I'm not sure if they updated in my area.  I have the X1 box.

That happens to me randomly.  When I see it, I press the pause button and I'm able to recover.

Other times, I have seen it FF most of the way and then suddenly, it will back up and pick up where I started the FF.

I usually only use 2X FF to minimize the issue.

New Poster

My X1 DVR is also skipping to the end when fast forwarding.  Sometimes it returns, sometimes it doesn't.  Very random.  Has been going on for over a month, maybe 2.   I'm suspicious that some upgrade to fastforward is not working as programmed.   Has anyone provided a solution?

Frequent Visitor

Having this same issue. Usually it happens with a show that I'm watching that is currently recording and I start watching it while it is still recording. It did start happening a couple months ago or so.

New Poster

Same problem here - anything recorded with DVR can do it. Makes FF practically useless. Updating, power cycling, refreshing, nothing helps.

Expert

My guess is that there is some form of intermittent signal issue with the X1 box.  The remote commands are sent back over the box's network connection.

New Poster

Hello,

I am having the same issue.   When I use fast forward when watching a recorded program, it often will jump all the way to the end, and occasionally it will pause at the end and then come all the way back.  This seems to be a common issue after I have read many of the posts?  Is there really not a solution to this.  I have the X1 platform and use a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote.   If anyone has a solution, please respond.  Thanks.

Expert

jeffwillis12 wrote:

Hello,

I am having the same issue.   When I use fast forward when watching a recorded program, it often will jump all the way to the end, and occasionally it will pause at the end and then come all the way back.  This seems to be a common issue after I have read many of the posts?  Is there really not a solution to this.  I have the X1 platform and use a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote.   If anyone has a solution, please respond.  Thanks.

I have six X1 boxes and the only time FF skips to the end is when I accidentally hold down the FF buttton too long.

My suspicion is that since the remote is sending commands to the Comcast servers rather than to the X1 boxes, you may be experiencing some kind of "glitch".  The first thing I would try is to disconnect and reconnect ALL coax connections, including all wallplates.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the exact same issue on the X1 Platform and the X1 Remote.  It's been occurring for 6 months, but has gotten far worse in the last 3 weeks.  

The other night every time we'd FF a commercial, it jumped to the end and started over, so we had to FF to our point of progress 5-6 times over the course of the show!

Lot's of forum messages about the same issue date back to 2015, but no resolution so far, and it's getting really frustrating.

Expert

Zyrne wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue on the X1 Platform and the X1 Remote.  It's been occurring for 6 months, but has gotten far worse in the last 3 weeks.  

The other night every time we'd FF a commercial, it jumped to the end and started over, so we had to FF to our point of progress 5-6 times over the course of the show!

Lot's of forum messages about the same issue date back to 2015, but no resolution so far, and it's getting really frustrating.

With the start-up of the "lightning FFW" feature, Repeatedly pressing or holding down the FFW button too long will cause the asset to skip to the end depending on where you are within the recording.    Try only pressing the button once or twice to move FFW with the recording.

Official Employee

Hi,

When you guys are experiencing this issue, are you seeing an image that looks like a lightning bolt appear in the middle of your screen? Are you pressing fast forward multiple times?

Also, would anyone be able to provide a specific show for which this happened and the approximate time that you played the recording and saw this?

Thanks so much!

Gwen

New Poster

My wife is watching Ben and Lauren Happily Ever After that was recorded on 11-15-2016 watching it at 9:30 pm on 12-1-2016 and this problem has occurred at least 4 times. 

Expert

I had this happen today on my pace version 1 DVR. I recreated it and discovered what happened. The new 'right tab' activated when i hit OK, I had used the right tab and it was still highlighted next time I hit the OK key. Don't know if anyone else had accidentally hit the 'next' icon, too.

New Poster

ComcastGwen,

This happens on all shows that have been recorded. I recently watched the last episode of Gold Rush last night and it happened.  It is intermittent and could start happen 3 minutes into the show or sometimes not until 30 minutes into the show.  It typically happens at 3 pushes of the fast forward button (It is not in lightening mode when this happens)  The fast forward will actually move the progress bar all the way to the end of the show... pause and then start to track back to where you were orignally at.  This whole process takes about 5 seconds and if you hit play anywhere during this it will lock onto the spot where it has jumped forward to making it incredibly frustrating to deal with. I can probably take a video from my cell to show it happening.  Would this help?

Regular Visitor

It has to with the update that introduced the flash forward functionality, but it's not that people are using that functionality incorrectly. Every recorded program that I use fast forward function on, 1X, 2X, 3X or 4X,acts erratic. It will skip ahead many minutes, or skip all the way to the end, and mark the program as watched.  It will also at times, show the "ball" move almost all the way to the end, while the video looks like it's fast forwarding correctly, and then the "ball" magically goes back to the acutal point that is showing on the screen.  If you hit play before it goies back, it will jump forward to that point in the recording.

You're software/firmware is buggy.  Your QA process seems terrible, because all new functionality from you initially has significant glitches. Reseting, detaches and reattaching stuff are all ridiculous suggestions for this problem. 

Frequent Visitor

dpolaski is exactly right.   This happens on any program I've recorded and it is random.  Another thing I've noticed tonight is that not only is that weird ff to the program end thing happening, but  reverse is acting strange, too.  Reverse x1, x2, whatever-  doesn't show a frame by frame rewind- you wouldn't even know that it's working if you didn't look at the timeline number.  What good is that?  I get to stop, see where the show is, then rewind some more?  Or, God forbid, if I accidentally overshot the rewind and then have to ff... >>>>> _________________________________________________________________________>>>>   Wheeeeeee.  All the way to the end.  Suggesting that we make sure cables are connected properly is insulting.   This needs to be addressed from software perspective and given some kind of real solution.   Come on, Comcast.  Cable bill is now $224 per month. I expect better.

Official Employee

Hi everyone,

There are known issues with FF that we are currently working to resolve. Fixes for these issues are in progress and will be released soon.

Thanks for reporting your issues.

Gwen

New Poster

We have had it fast forward and not stop a lot. But worst of all is the lightning fast forward. We are simply trying to fast forward and before we know it maybe we pushed 5 times by mistake and it takes us 15 / 20 minutes out. I can't tell you how annoying this is. I wish you would get rid of this. People can use page down and go 5 minutes at a time if they want. It is the worst function ever
Frequent Visitor

It happened 4 times in the latest Walking Dead, it happens in all our recorded shows.

Someone mentioned pressing FF too many times, that's not the case.  You can press it only once, and watch it doing the FFx1 and all of a sudden the status ball in the time will run across the screen and then randomly back off, sometimes back to where you were, sometimes not.

When it occurs, if you press play while it's sliding back and forth, you will stop where ever it is currently at, and then you have to start your show over and FF back to your spot.

It happens in rewind too, and it's very frustrating!

Frequent Visitor

This is what is happening to us too.  All the time and randomly in the middle of shows!  No matter how many times you press FF, 1 or more times.

Frequent Visitor

Please keep us posted on the fix, this has been beyond frustrating for quite a few months now Smiley Sad  

I'm glad that Xfinity is finally acknowledging the problem and working towards a resolution.

Thank you.

New Poster

This has been happening to me for months. Have talked with Comcast CSRs and have had technicians dispatched. Allegedly in September it was escalated to at least a tier 2 support but no response or acknowledgement.  The only solution which isn't a solution is a suggestion that I swap out the box. 

It is obviously a software issue. Nothing to do with th box, the connections or holding down the FF button too long. Any ETA for A fix?

Regular Visitor

So much for fixes, it is still happening,

Expert

Thanman wrote:

So much for fixes, it is still happening,

is the problem reproducible and is it related to one of many or all of your recordings? 

New Poster

Like many others, I first noticed the FastForward and Rewind problem a few months ago on both of my Comcast DVRs (not X1). I replaced one of the DVRs a week ago, but the problem still continues. In fact, it seems like it's getting worse. I taped an NBA game tonight and tried to replay it. When I try to skip commercial breaks,the first FF speed is super-slow and even seems to stop at times. But if I try the next speed (>>>), it goes crazy. Skips 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, then slows down, then skips up to 16 minutes. Fast Rewind is just as bad. Both of my DVRs are becoming unusable due to these problems. And, as I said earlier, it's getting worse. Every show that I record has the same problem - it's really frustrating. I'd feel a little better if I thought that Comcast acknowledged the problem and was working on a fix.

New Poster

We started having the same problem (and it is most annoying when watching recorded NBA playoff games!) about 3 weeks ago.  Comcast sent a new DVR but the problem persists. I will try again with tech support but it is good to know others are experiencing the same problem.

New Poster

Have there been any solutions to this problem? I don't have the new X1 boxes just the DVR. Was going to upgrade to X1 but sounds like that won't fix the problem.  

Expert

redbird1219 wrote:

Have there been any solutions to this problem? I don't have the new X1 boxes just the DVR. Was going to upgrade to X1 but sounds like that won't fix the problem.  

it isn't a 'box' problem it is signal problems (low signal in the home and/or high noise in the home). Your installer will make sure your signal is excellent (passes tests) or will arrange for line techs to fix signal coming into your home.

New Poster

This is still a major problem.

Let's face it, Comcast probably got a lot of pressure from advertisers because we were all skipping commercials. The solution?  Break the fast forward controls. This will probably never be fixed. 

Expert
Moved: