Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR records shows that are NOT new

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 11

I have an X1 DVR and I have setup recordings for my favorite shows specifying to record only NEW shows, but when I look in 'Scheduled' I have HUNDREDS of shows set to be recorded, most of which are NOT NEW.

I have been able to cancel the recordings manually in the past, but today when I tried to cancel some recordings, clicking the 'X' on the right side brings up the expected 'just this episode' query, but when it is all said and done, no 'Canceled Recording' message is shown.

It doesn't happen on all of my shows so I looked at the shows in 'Scheduled' that are for old shows and I see that there isn't a blue 'New' box in the show's description like new shows have. So, I am stumped.

Has anyone else ran into this?

How can I get the DVR to record only new shows?

10 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 11
This appears to be an isolated but ongoing problem. I think it depends upon the program you are recording but I also think it depends upon the accuracy of the guide data.

I see this problem occur with one program in particular. I am an avid snowmobiler and I record a program called Sled Head 24/7. My DVR records all episodes even though I have it set to new only. Why?

I believe it is because DVR's record according to the guide data and Comcast buys their guide data from a 3rd party provider. I have always contended that Comcast does a really poor job of "policing" the guide data they are buying. It has gotten better since they switched to Gracenotes but it is not perfect.

I am not sure there is much that can be done about this issue until Comcast does a better job of quality controlling their guide data.

All that being said, have you unplugged and rebooted your X1 DVR?

gwhicks wrote:

I have an X1 DVR and I have setup recordings for my favorite shows specifying to record only NEW shows, but when I look in 'Scheduled' I have HUNDREDS of shows set to be recorded, most of which are NOT NEW.

I have been able to cancel the recordings manually in the past, but today when I tried to cancel some recordings, clicking the 'X' on the right side brings up the expected 'just this episode' query, but when it is all said and done, no 'Canceled Recording' message is shown.

It doesn't happen on all of my shows so I looked at the shows in 'Scheduled' that are for old shows and I see that there isn't a blue 'New' box in the show's description like new shows have. So, I am stumped.

Has anyone else ran into this?

How can I get the DVR to record only new shows?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 11

adding... did it have the 'repeat' blue word? If not marked as repeat the scheduler treats it as new.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 11

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the Sled Head example. Is there another specifc show that you're seeing this problem with?

Thank you,

Gwen

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 5 of 11

Hi ComcastGwen, thanks for asking for more shows that I have ran into with this:

The Carbonaro Effect (TruTV); How It's Made (Science); NASA's Unexpected Files (Science); Impossible Engineering (Science); What on Earth (Science); Hack My Life (TruTV); Adam Ruins Every Thing (TruTV); How the Universe Works (Science); Paranormal Witness (Discovery) and Outrageous Acts of Science (Science).

For the most part, I can see the blue 'New' box in the show descriptions, but on old shows there isn't a blue 'Repeat' box or a gray 'Repeat' box. No boxes at all.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 11

Hi RustyBen,

Thanks for the reply. IMHO if a show's description doesn't have the blue 'New' box, the show should be treated as a repeat not as a new show.

I have seen shows that have a gray 'Repeat' box and I don't have any problems with them.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 11

Howdy RickGr4,

I think this issue is a result of poor guide data and how said data is being interpretted by the scheduler.

I have seen this problem on 10 of my favorite shows (see my reply to ComcastGwen for the list).

Another reply said if there is no 'Repeat' box in the show description, the show is treated as new. I disagree with this scheduler implementation.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 11

gwhicks wrote:

Hi RustyBen,

Thanks for the reply. IMHO if a show's description doesn't have the blue 'New' box, the show should be treated as a repeat not as a new show.

I have seen shows that have a gray 'Repeat' box and I don't have any problems with them. 

I would go the other way. easy to delete impossible to get if last airing is 'gone'.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 11

The Greg Gutfeld Show airs Saturday, 10:00 PM EST on Fox News Channel. Guide never shows it's NEW. It then repeats three times on Sunday morning, none show New or Repeat. Unless I cancel the last three recordings I end up with four recordings.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 11

Hi Rustyben,

Thanks again for your reply, but I'm not sure what you mean by "I would go the other way. easy to delete impossible to get if last airing is 'gone'."

Go the other way? Also, deleting shows is not easy. It has to be done manually and when there are so many shows, it is a daunting task. Besides, the shows I am talking about have been set to be recorded by an error in the scheduler IMHO.

This needs to be fixed. I just found another show that has about 30 recordiungs set for shows that are not new.

Thanks again for your reply.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 11

Howdy again RickGr4,

I'm not sure what you mean by this being "an isolated but ongoing problem."

I just found another program (Ancient Aliens) that has recordings set for shows that are not 'New'. So as of right now, there are 11 shows total on 4 different channels (TruTV, Science, Destination America and History). I consider this to be a recurring issue that needs attention.

I have indeed reboted my DVR. In fact I find I have to reboot it quite often. Ths system software is not very robust and has frequent problems. Fortunately, the problems are typically minor, like a deleted recording remaining in the list after being watched and deleted.

Thanks for your post. I hope this can get fixed soon.