Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

DVR/Online percentage mismatch

Regular Visitor

DVR/Online percentage mismatch

This isn't a big thing, but I'm curious. 

My DVR and online cloud DVR portal show the same recordings.  Never had a sync problem that way.

However, the oline cloud portal always shows dramatically more recording space used than my home DVR.  For example, right now my DVR says its 38% full, and the online cloud portal at xtv.comcast.net says its at 63%.

Which is correct?

Accepted Solutions
Admin1

Re: DVR/Online percentage mismatch

RobertWy & Queen-Evie -- That happens from X1 and Cloud not syncing. You can manually delete from both, though that's tedious, or you can use Sync DVR which is supposed to align them. 

X1 support has started to see more cases of Cloud storage showing more space used even when Cloud and X1 have the same recordings. X1 should show more space used when all the recordings are the same. They are working with an engineering group to identify why this is happening. 

All Replies
Admin1

Hi woodward -- It's supposed to be the other way around. Cloud should show less space used. I'll ask our X1 team if they know what's causing that to happen. 

Expert

ComcastZach wrote:

Hi woodward -- It's supposed to be the other way around. Cloud should show less space used. I'll ask our X1 team if they know what's causing that to happen. 

Zach, 

From time to time, I find recordings in the Cloud that I deleted from my DVR,  Why does this happen?

Expert

This past weekend I noticed the same two things:

More percentage of use in the online cloud portal (it was a 90 something percent) while Recordings on the box was less than 15%.

The portal showed almost 250 recordings when there were about 60 something shown in Recordings when accessed on the tv. (my husband needs to watch his shows as the majority of them are his recordings). Recordings in the portal went back to dates in late March.

I  had to go through both lists of recordings to find out which ones had been deleted after watching them on the tv, then delete those from the online portal. That was not a quick process.

I just checked both of them.

On the box it says 13% full, 77 recordings.

Online portal          28% Full,  95 Recordings

Here I see 5 episodes of one show,

2 other shows,  4 episodes each

2 episodes of another one

I am sure there are others but don't want to do any more comparisons.

10 of the above shows watched and deleted. So why are they still listed online?

Most of the ones showing online were recorded earlier in the week.

Admin1

RobertWy & Queen-Evie -- That happens from X1 and Cloud not syncing. You can manually delete from both, though that's tedious, or you can use Sync DVR which is supposed to align them. 

X1 support has started to see more cases of Cloud storage showing more space used even when Cloud and X1 have the same recordings. X1 should show more space used when all the recordings are the same. They are working with an engineering group to identify why this is happening. 

Expert

ComcastZach wrote:

I did SyncDVR. Keywords "supposed to".  It did NOT work, which is why I had to go through the tedious process of comparing Saved Recordings and deleting the ones which were stuck on the Cloud portal but were NOT in Saved on the TV.

The Cloud portal is now saying 29% Full, 95 Recordings.

Looking at Saved on the TV 13% Full, 75 Recordings.

Screenshot taken 5 minutes ago: Shows which have been deleted after watching TV but still listed online are surrounded by red:

Cloud Portal.png

Next step Sync DVR. As I suspected it did not work because it still has those shows (and more supposedly deleted shows) listed.

So now I have to go through everything again to delete what should not be there.

Admin1

Unfortunately if Sync DVR doesn't align them, manually deleting them is the other option. 

Expert

So now I have to delete them manually, because of a FAIL somewhere in the system.

I expect things to work correctly, not make more work for me.

Expert

ComcastZach wrote:

Unfortunately if Sync DVR doesn't align them, manually deleting them is the other option. 

I have noticed this issue for months.  The first time was in February and there were about 50 saved recordings in the cloud from December that I had to delete.

My understanding is that if the cloud space is filled up, saved recordings cannot be saved to the cloud.

Expert

I finally got most of the "recordings deleted after watching on tv but still showing in the Cloud portal" deleted from cloud.

A couple of them remain due to another flaw. I ran into this same thing last weekend when deleting almost 200 "stuck" recordings.

Recordings of the same show will create a folder for all episodes of the show.

Some of the "stuck" recordings on the cloud portal were in folders. Within the folder are OLDER already deleted from the tv episodes. One or two are unwatched, so they do not need to be deleted.

When deleting from the cloud portal, I did NOT see a way to delete INDIVIDUAL EPISODES. The only option is to delete ALL shows within a folder. 

I looked all over the place for a way to delete INDIVIDUAL episodes and did not find it.

Since it is possible that I missed seeing how to do it, IF it exists, someone let me know HOW to do it.

Robert, at least you had only "about 50" you had to delete.

I had to spend a  long it took comparing recordings on the tv to the cloud in order to delete approximately 175.

Comcast, fix it so it works and I/we don't have to monitor the cloud portal to prevent the build-up which if not caught will fill up cloud space and NOT save shows to the cloud.

Problem Solver

Queen-Evie wrote:

When deleting from the cloud portal, I did NOT see a way to delete INDIVIDUAL EPISODES. The only option is to delete ALL shows within a folder. 

I looked all over the place for a way to delete INDIVIDUAL episodes and did not find it.

Since it is possible that I missed seeing how to do it, IF it exists, someone let me know HOW to do it.

You said you didn't see a way to delete individual episodes from within a folder, but did you click any of the particular episodes in the folder list and click "Record Options"? "Record Options" will bring up a popup with one of the options being "Delete Recording".  Seems counter intuitive, but that is how it works.

Expert

HowAboutThisOne, THANK YOU. It worked. That was the only place I did not look. Yes, it is counter intuitive.

It will help when I have to delete them manually. To do that, I'll have to check at least once a day so it doesn't creep back up to a large number of "stuck" recordings.

Expert

Queen-Evie wrote:

HowAboutThisOne, THANK YOU. It worked. That was the only place I did not look. Yes, it is counter intuitive.

It will help when I have to delete them manually. To do that, I'll have to check at least once a day so it doesn't creep back up to a large number of "stuck" recordings.

sync (from first thread announcing it) only sets up the scheduled to be recorded programs for that particular DVR (since it was just replaced or reset - the purpose of the command). Has nothing to do with cloud DVR or any recordings that are 'not visible' etc

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

sync (from first thread announcing it) only sets up the scheduled to be recorded programs for that particular DVR (since it was just replaced or reset - the purpose of the command). Has nothing to do with cloud DVR or any recordings that are 'not visible' etc

I did see that Sync DVR says "Synch your scheduled recordings wth the X1 DVR Service now".

"Your recordings synch automatically during periodic updates. You can sync now, befor the automatick update, to ensure all of your recordings are available from any DVR".

Based on those 2 things I did not think it would work to DELETE stuck recordings from the Cloud. But since it was suggested I tried it even though it did not work the first time I synced.

Frequent Visitor

Mine has been doing the same thing for over 6 months. At this exact moment, my home dvr shows 73% full and actually has 14 more shows stored than my xfinity TV app, which shows a higher full percentage 82%, despite having 14 less shows stored. I've tried syncing, restarting everything, I installing the app, but nothing fixes the issue.
The other strange thing that sometimes happens, even though it's not happening right at this moment, is that my xfinity TV app will be 100% full, but my home dvr only maybe 80% full. Then when another show records, it actually shows up on the app, but not the home dvr, which you would think would be exactly opposite. It's very strange.
Screenshot_20160920-150339.png
20160920_150406.jpg
Contributor

This has happened to me twice in the last month.  It just happened again today.  Physical DVR shows 71% full with 185 recordings.  Online and app show 98% full with 70 recordings.  Never an answer or explanation from Comcast.  Typical.  

New Poster

was this issue ever solved? it's been happening to me for the last 2 months. Cloud is 98% full, DVR 68%

Expert

kpappa wrote:

was this issue ever solved? it's been happening to me for the last 2 months. Cloud is 98% full, DVR 68%

A fix was implemented.  You may need to look at your Cloud recordings to see if there are any old ones that are no longer on your DVR.

https://tv.xfinity.com/recordings

New Poster

This doesn’t seem to be resolved as of yet.
There is still a large discrepancy in the storage used between the Stream app and what the DVR shows used. Quite frustrating when you think you have more storage and your recordings start disappearing. :-(
Expert

Did you try uninstalling the app?  Mine is within 1% this morning.

Expert

wrote:
This doesn’t seem to be resolved as of yet.
There is still a large discrepancy in the storage used between the Stream app and what the DVR shows used. Quite frustrating when you think you have more storage and your recordings start disappearing. :-(

The Stream app % shown is (number of hours on cloud DVR / 60) as it holds only the last 60 hours. note space is in hours.

The home DVRs is (space used by recordings / 500 GB approximately). as you can see the two percentages have nothing to do with each other, but only measure room used in that particular device. 

Official Employee

2 year old thread closed