Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cost of two X1 boxes per month

ANSWERED
Contributor

Cost of two X1 boxes per month

Right now we have a triple play bundle. The service tier for Xfinity TV is Digital Preferred, for Xfinity Internet it is Performance, and for Xfinity Voice it is Unlimited. We have two Cisco RNG150N cable boxes. Would it cost more per month to replace those boxes for two X1 boxes?

Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of two X1 boxes per month

Adding a DVR will cost more...

Not sure you understood what I said. Yes, it is possible to get X1 service without a DVR. Your price should stay roughly the same. But if you add DVR service your price will go up.

My point was, many people have issues with X1 and it's lack of certain features. The strength of X1 is people who want a DVR, record lots of TV and most importantly is willing to pay extra for DVR service. X1's DVR service seems to have a way of overcoming it's other pitfalls. My GF and I watch a fair amount of TV, and skipping commercials is very important to us. We record ALL of our favorite programs so we can skip commercials when we watch them.

What I am suggesting to you is this: unless you are serious about recording TV and you are willing to pay more for DVR service, X1 loses much of it's "luster".

elsant01 wrote:
RickGr4, if it doesn't cost more why would you suggest I pass on it? I don't know if I would use the DVR part that much (since I keep up with most of the shows I watch through On Demand) but I think it would come in handy if I go out of the state and when I return, I wouldn't have to worry about any episodes I had not yet watched being removed from On Demand since they would have been recorded.

RobertWy, where I live the secondHD Cable box costs around $10 per month. If twoX1 boxes would cost around $40 per month I would definitely not pursue trying to replace the twoCiscoRNG150N cable boxes.

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

I am guessing since you don't have a DVR that you don't record TV.

The ability to record TV is the BIG strong point of X1. If you don't need/want a DVR (recording capabilities) I would suggest you pass on X1.

To answer your question, if you don't make any other changes to your service X1 costs roughly the same, but it can vary from market to market. You need to call Comcast to find out for sure.

elsant01 wrote:
Right now we have a triple play bundle. The service tier for Xfinity TV is Digital Preferred, for Xfinity Internet it is Performance, and for Xfinity Voice it is Unlimited. We have two Cisco RNG150N cable boxes. Would it cost more per month to replace those boxes for two X1 boxes?

Service Expert

Replacing two RNG150's with two X1 DVR's - on my bill:

One additional DVR - $19.90  (One DVR is included in my bundle)

Two RNG150's - 2 x $9,95 = $19.90

Disclaimer - Different markets have different pricing

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

RickGr4, if it doesn't cost more why would you suggest I pass on it? I don't know if I would use the DVR part that much (since I keep up with most of the shows I watch through On Demand) but I think it would come in handy if I go out of the state and when I return, I wouldn't have to worry about any episodes I had not yet watched being removed from On Demand since they would have been recorded.

RobertWy, where I live the second HD Cable box costs around $10 per month. If two X1 boxes would cost around $40 per month I would definitely not pursue trying to replace the two Cisco RNG150N cable boxes.
Regular Contributor

If I understand correctly, you have 2 non-DVR boxes. If you were to upgrade to one X1 DVR and one companion box, on the surface, I would expect your monthly cost to go up. That being said, you should call in and ask what specials they are running right now. A "friend" recently called in and they received a special (for a 2 year commitment) where you will get the AnyRoom DVR for free and the companion box is about $10 a month. 

Gold Problem Solver

Adding a DVR will cost more...

Not sure you understood what I said. Yes, it is possible to get X1 service without a DVR. Your price should stay roughly the same. But if you add DVR service your price will go up.

My point was, many people have issues with X1 and it's lack of certain features. The strength of X1 is people who want a DVR, record lots of TV and most importantly is willing to pay extra for DVR service. X1's DVR service seems to have a way of overcoming it's other pitfalls. My GF and I watch a fair amount of TV, and skipping commercials is very important to us. We record ALL of our favorite programs so we can skip commercials when we watch them.

What I am suggesting to you is this: unless you are serious about recording TV and you are willing to pay more for DVR service, X1 loses much of it's "luster".

elsant01 wrote:

RobertWy, where I live the secondHD Cable box costs around $10 per month. If twoX1 boxes would cost around $40 per month I would definitely not pursue trying to replace the twoCiscoRNG150N cable boxes.

Contributor

I'm thinking it would be better if I didn't get any X1 DVR boxes. I am interested though in the non-DVR X1 boxes.

One thing I didn't mention is that both televisions have a soundbar connected to them. I looked at a picture of one of the X1 remotes and didn't notice an auxiliary button. Does that mean the X1 remotes won't work with soundbars?
Service Expert

elsant01 wrote:
I'm thinking it would be better if I didn't get any X1 DVR boxes. I am interested though in the non-DVR X1 boxes.

One thing I didn't mention is that both televisions have a soundbar connected to them. I looked at a picture of one of the X1 remotes and didn't notice an auxiliary button. Does that mean the X1 remotes won't work with soundbars?

That would really depend on the manufacturer of the soundbar, and how you connect it.... the Xi3 does not have an optical output ( best)...  Of course, HDMI is acceptable, but we have seen issues with some systems that do not pass surround through the hdmi handshake...    Rick would be the best person to chime in on this !!!!

Good Luck!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

They are Vizio soundbars. One is connected by an optical cable and the other by an RCA cable. They are both connected to the televisions, not the cable boxes. They are stereo soundbars with no surround functionality (they don't have separate subwoofers).
Gold Problem Solver

OK so if you switch over to X1 and you don't get a DVR then you need to remember that the RNG-150 "Companion" boxes do NOT have voice command ability. Also, the RNG-150 Companion boxes are known to be "slower" than the other X1 boxes. Unless you have fabulous signal quality both incoming and outgoing, they may seem a bit slow.

X1 has three different remote controls. The original XR2 remote has very limited control over soundbars. The newer XR5 are XR11 have more support for soundbars but they are FAR from perfect. There is a very good chance that your X1 remotes will not control your soundbars. The XR5 and XR11 have a couple codes for Vizio. Unknown if they will work with your particular soundbars.

elsant01 wrote:

Service Expert

elsant01 wrote:
They are Vizio soundbars. One is connected by an optical cable and the other by an RCA cable. They are both connected to the televisions, not the cable boxes. They are stereo soundbars with no surround functionality (they don't have separate subwoofers).

Your equipment will "definitely" need to be matched to only "certain" models of X1 equipment....

One model of DVR has RCA, another model has optical, and another model has component.... but since you stated you may only want the STB version of X1, the Xi3 will not work for optical, and I don't believe the Xi3 will work with RCA either..(have to take a look at the back of mine, but am pretty sure that there is only an HDMI output).... that limits you to the RNG150 STB... and I can't for the life of me remember what mine looks like since it's tucked inside a cabinet now with an Xr8 adaptor!!!

RIckGr4...can you help on this one?

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Does it matter that elsant01 said the sound bar is connected to the TV and not to the cable box? 

Service Expert

elsant01 wrote:

RobertWy, where I live the second HD Cable box costs around $10 per month. If two X1 boxes would cost around $40 per month I would definitely not pursue trying to replace the two Cisco RNG150N cable boxes.

As you can see, my second  DVR costs $19.95/mo.  I am just assuming replacing one RNG150 with a DVR would cost $10/mo more, but you know how Comcast is. <g>

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Raymond if the OP is not getting an X1 DVR then the Xi3 is not an option...

geek46 wrote:

elsant01 wrote:

Your equipment will "definitely" need to be matched to only "certain" models of X1 equipment....

One model of DVR has RCA, another model has optical, and another model has component.... but since you stated you may only want the STB version of X1, the Xi3 will not work for optical, and I don't believe the Xi3 will work with RCA either..(have to take a look at the back of mine, but am pretty sure that there is only an HDMI output).... that limits you to the RNG150 STB... and I can't for the life of me remember what mine looks like since it's tucked inside a cabinet now with an Xr8 adaptor!!!

RIckGr4...can you help on this one?

-=Ray=-

Contributor

If there's a very good chance of the X1 remotes not working with the soundbars then I wouldn't want the X1 boxes since I wouldn't want to use the X1 remotes and soundbar remotes. I don't think it would make sense to switch from using compatible cable box remotes to ones that aren't compatible.
Gold Problem Solver

It's 50-50. You won't know until you try. You could always get the model numbers of your soundbars and check here: https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/

elsant01 wrote:
If there's a very good chance of the X1 remotes not working with the soundbars then I wouldn't want the X1 boxes since I wouldn't want to use the X1 remotes and soundbar remotes. I don't think it would make sense to switch from using compatible cable box remotes to ones that aren't compatible.

Service Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

Raymond if the OP is not getting an X1 DVR then the Xi3 is not an option...

Yep...noted that one....  That's what I get for multitasking.... : (

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Before I moved, I replaced a non-X1 non-DVR HD box (Motorola DCX 3200 P2 / RNG 150N) with an X1 non-DVR HD box (Pace RNG 150N).

Feature and interface-wise, it was a great upgrade for me, as I like to watch OnDemand and the X1 OnDemand interface is MUCH better! I disagree that X1's biggest improvements are for DVR users only.

Most if not all of the features that people miss are DVR-related, and even then, those features were really aimed at a small breed of people.

However, as mentioned above, the non-DVR X1 box is slow scrolling through the interface compared to the X1 DVR, even if you have proper signal levels. I am pretty sensitive to those things, so it may be less of an issue to you. I found the improvements offered via the X1 DVR worth the extra $10 over the non-DVR X1.

Contributor

I checked the X1 remotes (excluding the one with voice control) and no codes came up. I don't know about taking both Cisco RNG150N boxes down to the service center, bringing some X1 units home and running the risk of the soundbars not working with the remotes.
Gold Problem Solver

I am not sure I entirely agree with scjohnson but maybe you should stop at a Comcast store and test X1. See what YOU think of the interface...

In regards to the remotes, please remember there are 3rd party universal remotes that will work with X1 starting at about $15.

elsant01 wrote:
I checked the X1 remotes (excluding the one with voice control) and no codes came up. I don't know about taking both Cisco RNG150N boxes down to the service center, bringing some X1 units home and running the risk of the soundbars not working with the remotes.

Contributor

I did some thinking, and it sounds to me like it would be smarter if my family left the Comcast setup the way it is. Right now we have a coax cable installed in our basement by Comcast or one of their contractors which feeds into a contractor-installed three-way splitter, with a coax line to each cable box and the wireless gateway. If two people watch On Demand at once, it works fine as does Internet access.

I've heard that the X1 requires Internet access in order for some things to work properly. In Maine we are under the 300 GB data cap so I don't know what impact two non-DVR X1 units would have. I also don't know what impact two X1 units would have on our TV, Internet and phone service, or even if there are any non-DVR X1 units available at the local service center.

My father is the one with the Comcast account; I created the forum account. So any changes would need to be ran by him. Furthermore as I don’t drive it would be one of my parents taking the risk of going back and forth from the service center if my father or I don't like something about X1 (such as slow navigation speed or soundbar incompatibility).

So I'll continue to think about the X1 and if it makes sense to swap out the two existing cable boxes.
Gold Problem Solver

elsant01 wrote:
I did some thinking, and it sounds to me like it would be smarter if my family left the Comcast setup the way it is. Right now we have a coax cable installed in our basement by Comcast or one of their contractors which feeds into a contractor-installed three-way splitter, with a coax line to each cable box and the wireless gateway. If two people watch On Demand at once, it works fine as does Internet access. If X1 is properly installed there should not be an issue here. They can replace the 3 way splitter with an X1 compatible device. No need to worry about this.

I've heard that the X1 requires Internet access in order for some things to work properly. In Maine we are under the 300 GB data cap so I don't know what impact two non-DVR X1 units would have. Comcast has said since day one and continues to insist that X1 doesn't count against the cap. Nobody has proven them wrong. I also don't know what impact two X1 units would have on our TV, Internet and phone service, properly installed it should be fine. or even if there are any non-DVR X1 units available at the local service center. Doesn't matter. You want Comcast to install them. Unless you are EXTREMELY experienced with audio video gear, you do not want to self install X1.

My father is the one with the Comcast account; I created the forum account. So any changes would need to be ran by him. Furthermore as I don’t drive it would be one of my parents taking the risk of going back and forth from the service center if my father or I don't like something about X1 (such as slow navigation speed or soundbar incompatibility). Starting to think you should stay with legacy boxes.

FYI, this is a hotly discussed issue in this forum and some people will not agree with me but if you have any non-HDTV sets or your current TVs are small for their locations, there is a very good chance you won't like X1. I firmly believe that X1 was and is designed for larger HDTV sets. If anyone in your house is currently having a hard time seeing your TV sets, moving to X1 could be a disaster.

So I'll continue to think abouttheX1 and if it makes sense to swap out the two existing cable boxes.

Problem Solver

Hey, a fellow Mainer! May I ask where? I'm from Brunswick Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

sc for some reason I thought you lived in California but I have no idea why I got that impression...

scjohnson312 wrote:

Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

sc for some reason I thought you lived in California but I have no idea why I got that impression...

scjohnson312 wrote:

Unfortunately, no, I live in Indianapolis, another neglected Comcast area...

Contributor

RickGr4, for the time being anyway I'll stay with the current cable boxes. I plan on keeping an eye on X1 though.

scjohnson312, I live on Orr's Island.
Gold Problem Solver

You pay Comcast roughly the same amount of money for either X1 boxes or legacy boxes. To be honest, I like X1 but I have no vested interest in it.

Deep down I am just an electronics sales guy at heart. No offense but you just don't sound like an X1 customer to me. I was just tryin to make sure X1 would a good fit for you.

sc I was in Indy for the CEDIA show a couple years ago. It's a nice town. Reminded me a little bit of the Twin Cities...

elsant01 wrote:
RickGr4, for the time being anyway I'll stay with the current cable boxes. I plan on keeping an eye on X1 though.

Problem Solver

elsant01 wrote:

Beautiful place! My neighbor back home grew up out there.

FWIW the Comcast store on Bath Rd has an X1 demo, in case you ever feel up for it.

Contributor

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 6 in conversation