Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Controlling Vizio Sound Bar with XR11 Voice Remote Control

New Poster

Controlling Vizio Sound Bar with XR11 Voice Remote Control

Am trying to get Xfinity new XR11 Voice Remote to control a VIZIO VHT215 Sound Bar.

Using the Xfinity SetUp procedure, it asks if you want to contol audio receiver with the remote.  VIZIO is one of the choices, but when I selected VIZIO, I received a message stating that "There are no results that match your search criteria".

Thus it appears that Xfinity does not support controlling a VIZIO sound bar with the new XR11 Voice Remote Control.  I used Xfinity chat to ask for tech support and was told that XR11 Remote Control is not compatible with a VIZIO sound bar.

Any help with setting up an XR11 Remote Control to turn my VIZIO sound bar "Off" or "On" and to control the sound bar volume would be appreciated.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Controlling Vizio Sound Bar with XR11 Voice Remote Control

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4, You just dismissed a guy's concern by saying, "Sorry but this has been discussed so many times."  It hasn't been discussed so many times.  The X1, X2, X - whatever have been discussed but the X11 is supposed to be the latest and greatest for XFinity. 

If people have been complaining about Vizio compatability for years and Comcast has done nothing, that says something about their concern for their customers.  It is untenable that they do nothing about a problem so many people wrestle with.  Vizio is a mainstream product and Comcast needs to solve the issue. 

Gold Problem Solver

I'm sorry but you are misunderstanding me and quite frankly you could not be more wrong. I am well aware of the limitations of Comcast's X1 remotes and all I am trying to do is "let people down easily". I own and have tested all of Comcast's X1 remotes.

Please spend more time reading in this forum. You will learn that Comcast is not listening to outside input in regards to X1. They are going about it however it best suits them. Suggesting that Comcast "needs to fix" something is HIGHLY futile. The reason I said "this has been discussed many times" is simply because it has and there is really no reason to start new threads on this. This forum has a search function and it actually works quite well.

Comcast has made it very clear that they spend far too much time, energy and money supporting 3rd party audio products. It's actually makes sense that X1 remotes have such poor support for audio products.

That is why I moved beyond the Comcast remotes long ago. I use high end 3rd party universal remotes and they are light years beyond the limitations of Comcast's remotes.

By the way, X1 might be Comcast's latest but that does not mean it is a "top of the line" product. Everywhere you look, Comcast cut corners with X1.

sattlesey wrote:

RickGr4, You just dismissed a guy's concern by saying, "Sorry but this has been discussed so many times."  It hasn't been discussed so many times.  The X1, X2, X - whatever have been discussed but the X11 is supposed to be the latest and greatest for XFinity. 

If people have been complaining about Vizio compatability for years and Comcast has done nothing, that says something about their concern for their customers.  It is untenable that they do nothing about a problem so many people wrestle with.  Vizio is a mainstream product and Comcast needs to solve the issue. 

Contributor

I got my Vizio soundbar to work with the XR11!! Just choose any brand of receiver in the audio setup. Put in a code and tell it it doesn't work. Then, enter code 31937. It worked for me. Not sure which model my Vizio soundbar is, but it works!! I was never able to control the sound with the XR2 remote. Good luck.
Gold Problem Solver

FYI, if you look at the code chart for the XR5 remote (which appears to be a much more complete list than the XR11) the 31937 code is listed there as the primary Vizio code.

JMO29 wrote:
I got my Vizio soundbar to work with the XR11!! Just choose any brand of receiver in the audio setup. Put in a code and tell it it doesn't work. Then, enter code 31937. It worked for me. Not sure which model my Vizio soundbar is, but it works!! I was never able to control the sound with the XR2 remote. Good luck.

New Poster

Thanks to all for the replies.  I have tried the method suggested by JM029 using the 31937 code and I also tried the 31517 code (which the manual for my Vizio soundbar lists as the correct 5-digit programming code), but neither will allow the Xfinity XR-11 voice remote to control the sound bar.  I have a Harmony remote and I can control all my devices (including the Vizio soundbar) with it.  I thought that Xfinity might be able to put in a smiple function like controlliing both a TV and a soundbar in its new remote control but I guess that is expecting too much.  Again, thanks for all the hints.

Gold Problem Solver

LadyBinx,

I am a huge Harmony fan and I own a wide assortment. I consider them to be a big step ahead of Comcast's remotes not a step down.

I posted this yesterday hoping to help people with Comcast remotes. Please note the manual code search process I mentioned near the bottom: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/td-p/2550616

IndyBinx wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies.  I have tried the method suggested by JM029 using the 31937 code and I also tried the 31517 code (which the manual for my Vizio soundbar lists as the correct 5-digit programming code), but neither will allow the Xfinity XR-11 voice remote to control the sound bar.  I have a Harmony remote and I can control all my devices (including the Vizio soundbar) with it.  I thought that Xfinity might be able to put in a smiple function like controlliing both a TV and a soundbar in its new remote control but I guess that is expecting too much.  Again, thanks for all the hints.

New Poster

RickGr4,

Success!

Went to the link for the manual code search process that you gave and it worked.  I can now control my Samsung TV and my Vizio soundbar with the Xfinity XR11 Voice Remote.

A big thank you.

Gold Problem Solver

You are welcome. The manual code search process probably has more failures than successes. Glad it helped you.

I have come to the conclusion that Comcast themselves don't know what their own remotes can control and considering they can't stand taking responsibility for 3rd party devices this is all starting to make sense.

Now if you really wanted to help out other members of this forum, there is a process to extract the code number from your remote so you could post it for others to benefit from in the future. Care to give it a shot???

IndyBinx wrote:

RickGr4,

Success!

Went to the link for the manual code search process that you gave and it worked.  I can now control my Samsung TV and my Vizio soundbar with the Xfinity XR11 Voice Remote.

A big thank you.

Contributor

I had two different Vizio soundbars that required two different codes. 31975 worked for the other one.
Official Employee

JMO29 wrote:
I had two different Vizio soundbars that required two different codes. 31975 worked for the other one.

Can attest to this. My Vizio sound bar actually doesn't have a code listed on our website for some reason, but when I go through the search on the X1 STB (where it asks if you want to RF pair, then TV pair, then audio receiver pair) it actually lists a working Vizio code. 31975 is the one I used as well. I'm working on getting this discrepency online resolved.

New Poster

31975 worked for me.
New Poster

31975 worked for my 54" 5.1 soundbar!!

New Poster

I tried code 32454 for my vizio sound bar and it's working fine
Regular Visitor

I am just a 68 year old veteran. So if Comcast don"t support Vizio sound bar,WHY they just say so???

Expert

fogey wrote:

I am just a 68 year old veteran. So if Comcast don"t support Vizio sound bar,WHY they just say so???

Apparently, Comcast DOES support the Vizio sound bar, according to others in this forum.

(I am a 76 year old non-veteran.)

New Poster

This has been fun.  New Sony 850 TV with a Vizio sound bar . . .I just tried all the suggested codes and viola, about the 3rd one worked on the Comcast XR-11.  I still will probably get a universal remote, since one remote is better than 2 (or the previous three)

Expert

jlk49 wrote:

This has been fun.  New Sony 850 TV with a Vizio sound bar . . .I just tried all the suggested codes and viola, about the 3rd one worked on the Comcast XR-11.  I still will probably get a universal remote, since one remote is better than 2 (or the previous three)

Harmony Remotes have a very good track record with the X1 platform...  Congratulations on your success!

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

New Poster

Worked for my VSB200. But can you control the audio settings and inputs of the soundbar. Or just on-off and Vol up-down?
Expert

The X1 remotes only control sound and on/off.

Get a universal remote if you want more functionality.  I have a  Harmony 650 for my four devices.

New Poster

I have a hamonry remote and loved it, but the usb port was somehow broken and now my computer wont recognize it. Wonder if they come with lifetime warranty..
Visitor

32454 worked for me.

New Poster

I'm a newby when it comes to this stuff. Could you or someone else give me detailed instructions about what buttons to push to have my x11 control my vizio vsb200 soundbar?

Expert

New Poster

Re: Controlling Vizio Sound Bar with XR11 Voice Remote Control - Vizio SB3830-D0

I went through the setup and chose Vizio and it gave me a code of 32454 and that worked with my Vizio SB3830-D0 soundbar.

New Poster

Yes - once I figured it out it was easy. Press 'Xfinity' button > Settings (gear icon) > Remote settings > TV and Volume > Skip > Set up Audio Receiver > Set Up or add device (it'll have instructions) Press setup button for 3 seconds until you get green led light on top of remote > enter '31975' should work.  Some have had success with 32454 or 31937.  It will ask you to try volume to see if working, if not, try the next number(s) until it works.  

Used with Vizio 3830 6CM Soundbar - Samsung FH6200F - Xfinity XR11

Expert

Year & 1/2 Topic now Closed.