Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

New Poster

Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

I have an XFinity X1 DVR in my closet that was connected to my wall-mounted TV by an HDMI cable snaked through the wall and ceiling.  The connector on one end of the HDMI cable is now broken.  Rather than open up the wall and ceiling to run a new wire, I would like to add a receiver behind the TV.  How do I go about connecting the receiver to ensure that I retain all of the functionality from the XI DVR, which will remain connected to cable in the closet?  Can I purchase my own receiver, or will I need to rent it from Comcast?

Service Expert

Re: Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

srgrif16 wrote:

I have an XFinity X1 DVR in my closet that was connected to my wall-mounted TV by an HDMI cable snaked through the wall and ceiling.  The connector on one end of the HDMI cable is now broken.  Rather than open up the wall and ceiling to run a new wire, I would like to add a receiver behind the TV.  How do I go about connecting the receiver to ensure that I retain all of the functionality from the XI DVR, which will remain connected to cable in the closet?  Can I purchase my own receiver, or will I need to rent it from Comcast?

What do you mean by a "receiver"?  It sounds like it might be easier to take the DVR out of the closet, but you haven't given us enough information to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

The proper term might be "companion box" rather than receiver.  I can fit another cable box behind the wall-mounted TV, and would prefer to go that route if possible, but I don't know exactly what's involved in setting up a system like this.

Official Employee

Do you currently have a secondary box? Do you have a live cable outlet behind/close to the tv?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I do not currently have a secondary box, but I do have CAT6 cables behind the TV

Official Employee

Can't you tape/secure a new hdmi cord to the old one and just pull it through without opening a wall. If you can't, you will need a live cable signal behind the tv

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation