Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Confusing, tough and unanswerable 4k questions...

New Poster

Confusing, tough and unanswerable 4k questions...

I thought these were simple questions...  But I cannot ever seem to get straight answers from CC.

I am looking at a 4k TV.  What box would I need to view 4K contect through Comcast, if any?  Is there any non Netflix 4k content available through Comcast directly?  I understand the sampler app is no longer available unless it was downloaded before it was removed.  Was that the ONLY comcast, non Netflix  4k content?

I thought I heard a rumor that both Superbowl and Olympics were going to be live broadcast in 4k, is that true?

Thanks in advance,

Service Expert

Re: Confusing, tough and unanswerable 4k questions...

Cps68500 wrote:

I thought these were simple questions...  But I cannot ever seem to get straight answers from CC.

I am looking at a 4k TV.  What box would I need to view 4K contect through Comcast, if any?  Is there any non Netflix 4k content available through Comcast directly?  I understand the sampler app is no longer available unless it was downloaded before it was removed.  Was that the ONLY comcast, non Netflix  4k content?

I thought I heard a rumor that both Superbowl and Olympics were going to be live broadcast in 4k, is that true?

Thanks in advance,

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630/highlight/true#M129152

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

First of all, where did you hear your rumors? From someone trying to sell you a television?

The Olympics will certainly be shown in S. Korea and Japan in 4K television. NHK has and sells the equipment for OTA, satellite, and cable, for 4K, and some 8K transmissions.

Will Comcast carry any 4K? They are sponsor's for the Olympics. They are working to get their 4K DVR box out to customers, and of course there are bugs to deal with in their equipment. I suspect they are trying to get some 4K during the Olympics again. But; there has been nary a peep on the subject so far.

As for the "Ultra HD Sampler" app; I got on it this morning. Nothing new added yet but a Comcast employee replied on a earlier post of mine that new 4K programming would be eventually added to the app.

The Super-bowl has been nothing but rumors the last two times. For any 4K testing done in the USA, since I got my 65" curvered Samsung 3D UHD television in January 2016, I have received a 4K app showing up a day or two before certain events for Beta testing. I did get to view all Olympic events and programs ever put on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app from Comcast.

If you plan on purchasing a 4K television; make sure it comes with built-in apps. That way you can get on the Internet for plenty of 4K programing. Comcast not required. At least not until 4K is supplied over standard cable, as far as I am concerned.

New Poster

Quite honestly I can't remember where I heard it. It wasn't a tv seller.

I never said the sample app was shut down, just that you can't download it any longer.

So all I'm hearing is "they want to do 4k" but the only thing probably going to happen is something just better than 24hour delay of 83 hours of content.
Lame.
Problem Solver

Cps68500 wrote:
Quite honestly I can't remember where I heard it. It wasn't a tv seller.

I never said the sample app was shut down, just that you can't download it any longer.

So all I'm hearing is "they want to do 4k" but the only thing probably going to happen is something just better than 24hour delay of 83 hours of content.
Lame.

Well if something comes up I will post on the forum again.

As for the delayed broadcast; the 4K cameras were from a different perspective than the live HD broadcasts. And the 4K filming was spectacular.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation