Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) what HDMI?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) what HDMI?

Currently have the following hardware:

Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box), STB Version PX022AN_2.11p9s1_PROD_sey, release version xappl-XRE.78P3, XRE Server Version 1.78.03 08/17/2017 16:35, XRE Protocol Version 2.8.0, Receiver Native Version: 2.11.0

what HDMI is supported on the HDMI Out To TV (HDMI video and audio output) port:
is it Version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, or 2.1?

thanks in advance
Expert

Re: Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) what HDMI?

beatricebalboa wrote:
Currently have the following hardware:

Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box), STB Version PX022AN_2.11p9s1_PROD_sey, release version xappl-XRE.78P3, XRE Server Version 1.78.03 08/17/2017 16:35, XRE Protocol Version 2.8.0, Receiver Native Version: 2.11.0

what HDMI is supported on the HDMI Out To TV (HDMI video and audio output) port:
is it Version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, or 2.1?

thanks in advance

for version, that probably depends upon the manufacture date of the set top boxes. Capability as defined by version level is not a statement of what 'is' transmitted. What is transmitted is determined by the MSO (Comcast). Is there something in particular you are wanting to 'match up'?

for all things HDMI including a 'touch' in the tech of HDCP and more see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) what HDMI?

Dear 

Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to match up the HDMI input capabilities of my 2010 Samsung TV set (Model Code: UN55C6400RFXZA Version No.: AA05) with the HDMI output capabilities of the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box).  The STB Timestamp is Wed Jul 12 04:29:36 2017 (not sure if that would be equivalent to "manufacture date of the set top boxes"). Supposedly the MSO (Comcast) has the capability of transmitting HD, which I was under the impression is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz (I assume that would be 1080i in the case of Comcast)I subscribe to the HD service and I have had my extremely poor and deteriorating coaxial cabling in my condomium fully replaced by Comcast and would like to verify that the entire connection (back to the distribution) is up-to-date (2017) transmission quality of service standards to view the clearest and sharpest picture from Comcast MSO system. From the HDMI wiki page:

HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009.[62][97] HDMI 1.4 added support for 4K × 2K, i.e. 4096×2160 at 24 Hz (which is a resolution used with digital theaters), 3840×2160 (Ultra HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz, and support for 1080p at 120 Hz.[98](§6.3.2) It also added an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) which allows for a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices so they can share an Internet connection,[43] introduced an audio return channel (ARC),[41] 3D Over HDMI, a new Micro HDMI Connector, an expanded set of color spaces with the addition of sYCC601, Adobe RGB and Adobe YCC601, and an Automotive Connection System.[62][99][100][101][102]

Sincerely

I include pics of the Samsung units info and manufacturer tag plate (2010 LED TV (C6400 Series)): http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2010-led-tv-c6400-series

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906134240296/[UC6500-ZA]BN68-02711D-03Eng.p...

Gold Problem Solver

1. You never said if you are having any specific problems...
2. Matching HDMI capabilities is pointless as long as your devices are establishing an HDMI "handshake".
3. I think it is obvious that your Samsung TV would be behind due differences in age.
4. Does your TV have the latest firmware? That is important if you are having HDMI issues.
5. For the most part, HDMI is either on or off. It works or it doesn't. Picture quality issues are probably elsewhere. That being said, I do believe in higher quality HDMI cables and I firmly believe they can make slight improvements in picture quality. But I don't expect everyone to have hundreds of dollars worth of HDMI cables connecting their LG OLED TV as I do.

Could you be more specific about what issues/concerns you are having? At this point, I think you might be over thinking things and looking in the wrong direction for solutions....

beatricebalboa wrote:

Dear 

Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to match up the HDMI input capabilities of my 2010 Samsung TV set (Model Code: UN55C6400RFXZA Version No.: AA05) with the HDMI output capabilities of the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box).  The STB Timestamp is Wed Jul 12 04:29:36 2017 (not sure if that would be equivalent to "manufacture date of the set top boxes"). Supposedly the MSO (Comcast) has the capability of transmitting HD, which I was under the impression is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz (I assume that would be 1080i in the case of Comcast)I subscribe to the HD service and I have had my extremely poor and deteriorating coaxial cabling in my condomium fully replaced by Comcast and would like to verify that the entire connection (back to the distribution) is up-to-date (2017) transmission quality of service standards to view the clearest and sharpest picture from Comcast MSO system. From the HDMI wiki page:

HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009.[62][97] HDMI 1.4 added support for 4K × 2K, i.e. 4096×2160 at 24 Hz (which is a resolution used with digital theaters), 3840×2160 (Ultra HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz, and support for 1080p at 120 Hz.[98](§6.3.2) It also added an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) which allows for a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices so they can share an Internet connection,[43] introduced an audio return channel (ARC),[41] 3D Over HDMI, a new Micro HDMI Connector, an expanded set of color spaces with the addition of sYCC601, Adobe RGB and Adobe YCC601, and an Automotive Connection System.[62][99][100][101][102]

Sincerely

I include pics of the Samsung units info and manufacturer tag plate (2010 LED TV (C6400 Series)): http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2010-led-tv-c6400-series

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906134240296/[UC6500-ZA]BN68-02711D-03Eng.p...

Frequent Visitor

Dear RickGr4, 

thanks for the reply.  I trying to get a sharper picture with my overall HD-capable/enabled system connected via HDMI cables between STB and TV. Is anything on the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) that would be an indication signal-wise that be used as information to highlight/underscore the lack of clarity.  I can compare with a blu-ray player running a blu-ray DVD that the HD coming from the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box)  is of lower quality picture-wise.  Is the firmware on the STB current (hard to locate this type of information on the Internet)?  The firmware on the TV is current.

Sincerely

Gold Problem Solver

Cable TV picture quality will never be as good as Blu-ray. Blu-ray will always be a step or two ahead.

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

beatricebalboa wrote:

Dear RickGr4, 

thanks for the reply.  I trying to get a sharper picture with my overall HD-capable/enabled system connected via HDMI cables between STB and TV. Is anything on the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) that would be an indication signal-wise that be used as information to highlight/underscore the lack of clarity.  I can compare with a blu-ray player running a blu-ray DVD that the HD coming from the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box)  is of lower quality picture-wise.  Is the firmware on the STB current (hard to locate this type of information on the Internet)?  The firmware on the TV is current.

Sincerely

Frequent Visitor

Dear RickGr4,

I am trying understand why "Cable TV picture quality will never be as good as Blu-ray".  I currently view Blu-ray discs with the following player: Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (with Wi-Fi) running firmware version M15.R.0197 (2013 Sony Corporation)

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDP-BX510_S5100.pdf

https://docs.sony.com/release//SPECS/BDPS5100_mksp.pdf

which has the following specifications:

Video Features

BD-ROM: Yes (480i/ 480p/ 720p/ 1080i/ 1080p (60Hz)); Yes (1080p (24Hz))

Upscaling:Yes (720p/ 1080i/ 1080p) Yes (1080p (24Hz))

Reading the Wikipedia entry for Blu-ray:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Codecs

Video
Originally BD-ROMs stored video up to 1920×1080 pixel resolution at up to 60 (59.94) fields per second. Currently with UHD BD-ROM videos can be stored at a maximum of 3840×2160 pixel resolution at up to 60 (59.94) frames per second, progressively scanned.

For video, all players are required to process H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10: AVC, and SMPTE VC-1.[142] BD-ROM titles with video must store video using one of the three mandatory formats; multiple formats on a single title are allowed. Blu-ray Disc allows video with a bit depth of 8-bits per color YCbCr with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

Sorry for the above excerpts, but I am keenly interested why cable TV video delivery cannot achieve a Blu-ray picture quality as this technology has significantly matured. For instance, the most mature "part" of Blu-ray format:

H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.262/MPEG-2_Part_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.262/MPEG-2_Part_2#History

has gone through three editions, starting in 1995.

I assume (wrongly?) that in 2017 with the Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) technology I could, at least in theory, approach Blu-ray picture quality.  Is there a better STB offering from Comcast that is a better option than the current Comcast XG2v2-P (Pace Micro Technology Model PX022ANM Hybrid Gateway Set Top Box) that I should pursue?

Sincerely

Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Frequent Visitor

Dear 

Gold Problem Solver

Yes my TV has all of those capabilities. However those capabilities are almost pointless if you don't have a source that can provide the appropriate signals. Thankfully I do. I have a Roku Ultra which is 4K and HDR. I also have a brand new Sony 4K Blu-ray player that is also obviously 4K and HDR capable.

That being said, I have found that 4K TV sets have better picture quality on any signals, not just 4K signals.

You may want to spend some time learning about the best picture settings for your TV. Most of todays TV sets come from the factory badly misadjusted. Correct picture settings can make huge improvements in picture quality. Another thing you can look into is TV calibration.
Expert

beatricebalboa wrote:

Dear 

hi, I don't have an oleo OLED that was rick's post

New Poster

Hi,

I think I'm having a similar issue.  If you're talking about your Samsung TV not being able to give you the full 1080i resolution picture that xfinity should provide, I believe it's because this particular set top box (the XG2v2-P) is probably giving you only 720p. That's what my Sony Bravia shows when I connected it to this box today. I orginally had this particular box connected to an old Panasonic CRT TV, so when the Comcast technician came to install the new xfinity boxes earlier in the year, he installed this one with the old Panasonic. The reason for this was that the XG2v2-P has a coaxial connection directly to the TV antenna with a coaxial cable, since my Panasonic lacked an HDMI port. The other three boxes that were installed were XiD-P, which connect to my other three HD TVs. These XiD-P are smaller (about 1/2 size) than the XG2v2-P one and do provide 1080i resolution. It's still not the full 1080p but it's better than 720p resolution.  I need to go to an xfinity store to exchange the XG2v2-P for an XiD-P box. I'm sure that'll solve the HD resolution issue. Maybe you ought to do the same...

Expert

norbac wrote:

Hi,

I think I'm having a similar issue.  If you're talking about your Samsung TV not being able to give you the full 1080i resolution picture that xfinity should provide, I believe it's because this particular set top box (the XG2v2-P) is probably giving you only 720p. That's what my Sony Bravia shows when I connected it to this box today. I orginally had this particular box connected to an old Panasonic CRT TV, so when the Comcast technician came to install the new xfinity boxes earlier in the year, he installed this one with the old Panasonic. The reason for this was that the XG2v2-P has a coaxial connection directly to the TV antenna with a coaxial cable, since my Panasonic lacked an HDMI port. The other three boxes that were installed were XiD-P, which connect to my other three HD TVs. These XiD-P are smaller (about 1/2 size) than the XG2v2-P one and do provide 1080i resolution. It's still not the full 1080p but it's better than 720p resolution.  I need to go to an xfinity store to exchange the XG2v2-P for an XiD-P box. I'm sure that'll solve the HD resolution issue. Maybe you ought to do the same...

the XiD/Xi3 devices need communications (DOCSIS) and linear TV tuners that they get from a Hub device (your XG2 for example). The Xg2 can provide service for up to 3 XiD or Xi3 set top boxes. No Comcast stream for TV cable nor broadcast network is higher than 720p or 1080i. You can set the output to 720 and let your TV do the converting (with probably more advanced circuitry) or use the generic upscaling from the X1 set top box. A few broadcast channels still broadcast in 1080i.

Frequent Visitor

Dear RickGr4,

Noting that you have a Roku Ultra which is 4K and HDR, have you compared the picture quality from the Netflix Premium Streaming Plan (ultra high definition (UHD)) content by using the XG1v4 TV box (STB Version AX014ANM or AX014ANC) which has the Netflix in 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) app with the picture quality from the Roku Ultra which is 4K and HDR using the previously mentioned LG OLED TV?  

sincerely

Regular Visitor

Beatrice, you probably got the answer by now (not from this thread tho) so I am weighing in.  You need an HDMI cable meeting HDMI 1.4 10.3 GHz or better for Comcast.  I installed an HDMI 2.0 [18.0 GHZ]) for Comcast and have an excellent image.  Note that the HDMI 1.4 standard is adequate for 1080P broadcasts.   I recently purchased an LG OLED65C7P and noticed grainy image from my AppleTV 4K box.  The installer said my HDMI 2.0 (18.0 GHz) cable was not adequate.  Apple built their 4K box to HDMI 2.0a specs.  When I installed an HDMI cable certified to HDMI 2.0a specs,  the 4K image was much better.  I believe HDMI 2.0b is the current standard and HDMI 2.1 is coming.  You do not have to pay and arm and a leg for 2.0a cables, mine cost $15.00 each from the Video Only store.  One last thing.  You probably found that your best picture from OLED comes from streaming content.  If you don't have to go through additional processing (Comcast/AppleTV) and have sufficient bandwidth (I have 250 Mbps download from Comcast) you stand to get the best picture available.

Official Employee

9 month old thread closed