Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Colored vertical lines

Contributor

Colored vertical lines

Two weeks ago colored lines appeared on my TV.. Only on the Comcast input. Could it be bad hdmi? Not sure what 2 do
20170826_122334.jpg
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Colored vertical lines

Another user posted something similar. Personally I think either the HDMI cable is bad or the box is bad.

Yes the TV could have a bad input. Easy test would be to swap your sources.

Obviously check the security of ALL connections.

mkraft wrote:
Two weeks ago colored lines appeared on my TV.. Only on the Comcast input. Could it be bad hdmi? Not sure what 2 do

Expert

mkraft wrote:

have more than one set top box? if so temporarily swap and see if problem follows the box. you might try moving the HDMI plug from the X1 set top box to another HDMI jack on the TV for testing. if no joy also swap the HDMI cable to see if problem moves with the cable.

New Poster

I'm also experiencing something very similar to this. It somehow permanently damaged the TV (I strongly suspect) - I replaced the TV and same is occuring with the new TV. 

I've tried:

- swapping HDMI cables

- using coax instead of HDMI

Comcast replaced the Comcast receiver when I used my old TV. It worked fine for a month but then the issue regressed. The only time I've seen this issue go away was when we stopped using the Comcast receiver (turned it off, disconnected from power). However, the issue seemed to somehow create a permanent affect on the tv. I'm worried the same will happen to my new TV.

Is it possible that whatever is causing this is somehow permanently affecting the TV?

Expert

sogwiz wrote:

I'm also experiencing something very similar to this. It somehow permanently damaged the TV (I strongly suspect) - I replaced the TV and same is occuring with the new TV. 

I've tried:

- swapping HDMI cables

- using coax instead of HDMI

Comcast replaced the Comcast receiver when I used my old TV. It worked fine for a month but then the issue regressed. The only time I've seen this issue go away was when we stopped using the Comcast receiver (turned it off, disconnected from power). However, the issue seemed to somehow create a permanent affect on the tv. I'm worried the same will happen to my new TV.

Is it possible that whatever is causing this is somehow permanently affecting the TV?

first test is to move the HDMI cable to another input port. next would be to sub a DVD player to that same input port. same problem? 

New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

"first test is to move the HDMI cable to another input port. "

Tried. No beuno. Same issue.

"next would be to sub a DVD player to that same input port. same problem?"

Yes, same issue intermittently but consistently. I'm worried if there's been permanent damage to the TV (this will be my 2nd TV experiencing this issue). I have 3 other TVs in my house (1 upstairs, 1 same level as said TVs, and 1 in garage) that aren't connected to Comcast boxes and all work just fine. This leads me to believe it is not an electrical grounding issue.

Expert

sogwiz wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

"first test is to move the HDMI cable to another input port. "

Tried. No beuno. Same issue.

"next would be to sub a DVD player to that same input port. same problem?"

Yes, same issue intermittently but consistently. I'm worried if there's been permanent damage to the TV (this will be my 2nd TV experiencing this issue). I have 3 other TVs in my house (1 upstairs, 1 same level as said TVs, and 1 in garage) that aren't connected to Comcast boxes and all work just fine. This leads me to believe it is not an electrical grounding issue.

I had an LED 'display' for the back seats in the van that had that issue, and it was the display itself that had to be replaced. you may need a new TV.