Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Cloud storage vs. DVR storage?

New Poster

Cloud storage vs. DVR storage?

I am hoping someone on here may have experienced the same issue I am having and knows the solution.

I have had my Comcast service for just over a month and I am on my 3rd X1 box.  When I had the first box the audio and picture on recorded shows/movies was extremely choppy and when I went to the DVR section it showed about 60% full. I had the box switched out and now the audio/picture problems are gone but even though most of the shows I had recorded transferred over the % bar was showing 0%. After I started recording about 10 hours of hd programming the % bar showed around 30% but the dvr started deleting shows on its own which told me it was full even though it was only showing 30%. I checked the xfinity stream app it showed 100% full. I then had a tech come out and exchange the box and the same thing is happening; when looking online at the storage it shows roughly 90% now and the dvr box is only showing 18% full. Since it is only showing 18% I set more things to record and then it begins to delete things again.

I really would like to know what needs to be done to sync the % from the stream app on my phone and the dvr box so they are both showing the actual % used and available so I can recrd without worrying about things being erased without my knowledge.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tags (4)
1.jpg
New Poster

Re: Cloud storage vs. DVR storage?

Here is a photo that shows both % bars

1.jpg
Contributor

@Craw2theJ, You are not alone at finding this confusing. Basically the issue is that when you swap a DVR, you lose the recordings that physically are on the DVR, but you don't lose the copies that are on the cloud. The TV shows the %Full for the 500gb DVR space only, yet lists and counts recordings that are on the DVR as well as the Cloud. The website/streaming app  is showing %Full for the 60 hours of Cloud space and lists and counts recording that are only on the Clould. When the Cloud becomes full, recordings are deleted from the Clould to make room for new recordings. Such recordings are not deleted from the DVR, but they sort of seem to be because the TV lists them as if they were physically on the DVR.

There is no easy way to tell which recordings are Cloud only, DVR only or both DVR and Cloud. You can sort of guess by the date that your DVR was replaced - all recording made after the DVR was replaced will reside both on the Cloud and DVR whereas all recordings made before the DVR was replace will reside only on the Cloud. If some of your recordings are set as "keep for 1 year" it becomes more confusing to tell because those recording will be skipped for deletion and the next oldest one will be sought for deletion.

I think an indication on the TV as to which recordiings are Cloud only, DVR only, or Cloud and DVR would help. Being able to see you Cloud % Full from the DVR would also be a big help.

New Poster

What I think comcast should do is allow you to delete recordings from the cloud but keep them on your DVR.

Contributor

I have a slightly related question.  I just swapped out my DVR for a new one.  Do the cloud recordings actually sync down to the new DVR box, or do they run out of the cloud going forward?  Shotly after activating my new DVR, it shows 27% full even though I haven't recorded anything since new swapping.  So I'm guessing cloud recordings get actually downloaded to the box?  Anyone know?

Expert

LowLight21 wrote:

I have a slightly related question.  I just swapped out my DVR for a new one.  Do the cloud recordings actually sync down to the new DVR box, or do they run out of the cloud going forward?  Shotly after activating my new DVR, it shows 27% full even though I haven't recorded anything since new swapping.  So I'm guessing cloud recordings get actually downloaded to the box?  Anyone know?

I've never done what you did, but my understanding is that the recordings saved on the old box are no longer available.  Any recordings in the cloud can be played with the new box.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Official Employee

The last 60 hours of recordings made on the dvr are available from the cloud.
Contributor

Actually, that wasn't really my question.  When installing a new DVR (with no content physically stored on it) and you have recordings in the cloud, do those recordings get physically downloaded to the new DVR, or do those recordings just forever play directly from the cloud?

Official Employee

LowLight21 wrote:

Actually, that wasn't really my question.  When installing a new DVR (with no content physically stored on it) and you have recordings in the cloud, do those recordings get physically downloaded to the new DVR, or do those recordings just forever play directly from the cloud?

They are not "downloaded" but the new dvr has access to the last 60 hours recorded. The more that you record those 60 hours from the previous dvr will drop off

Regular Contributor

The issue is why are there only 60 hours of DVR recordings available in the cloud?  As I have stated before, no one at Xfinity seems to know why 60 hours is the limit.  And yet, Xfinity keeps advertising that you have the ability to access your DVR recordings from anywhere, anytime you have a wifi connection.  They lie constantly and refuse to provide a coherent explanation of why everything on your DVR can't be in the cloud.  It's not technical - other IPs have much larger cloud storage.  It's totally unacceptable for them to continue false advertising.  I am contacting the FCC and the FTC about this.  Their ads should clearly state there is a defnitive limit on cloud recordings that is a fraction of what you can record on your DVR, but not access anywhere but home.

Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

The issue is why are there only 60 hours of DVR recordings available in the cloud?  As I have stated before, no one at Xfinity seems to know why 60 hours is the limit.  And yet, Xfinity keeps advertising that you have the ability to access your DVR recordings from anywhere, anytime you have a wifi connection.  They lie constantly and refuse to provide a coherent explanation of why everything on your DVR can't be in the cloud.  It's not technical - other IPs have much larger cloud storage.  It's totally unacceptable for them to continue false advertising.  I am contacting the FCC and the FTC about this.  Their ads should clearly state there is a defnitive limit on cloud recordings that is a fraction of what you can record on your DVR, but not access anywhere but home.

It's actually even worse than what you are stating.  0% of what is in the "cloud" is available on your DVR/TV.  It is only availabe on other "devices" through "apps".  If your power is out you will miss a DVR recording, but it will appear in the "cloud recordings", but you will not be able to watch that recording on your TV from your DVR, only on "mobile devices".

And you also won't be able to mirror your device onto your home TV screen, as it will detect the mirroring as a license issue and won't play the content until you disconnect your TV from your device.

It's not in any way a backup or mirror of your DVR service, but a different service, which is completely useless for someone who does not watch TV on "moblie devices".

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

It's actually even worse than what you are stating.  0% of what is in the "cloud" is available on your DVR/TV.  It is only availabe on other "devices" through "apps".  If your power is out you will miss a DVR recording, but it will appear in the "cloud recordings", but you will not be able to watch that recording on your TV from your DVR, only on "mobile devices".

And you also won't be able to mirror your device onto your home TV screen, as it will detect the mirroring as a license issue and won't play the content until you disconnect your TV from your device.

It's not in any way a backup or mirror of your DVR service, but a different service, which is completely useless for someone who does not watch TV on "moblie devices".

since June 2016 all cloud only recordings (example: you swap out a DVR) are available on all the X1 equipment to watch. note it is in stereo only. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

since June 2016 all cloud only recordings (example: you swap out a DVR) are available on all the X1 equipment to watch. note it is in stereo only. 

How do you access them?  

My power was out on Monday, therefore no recording of the Sharks hockey game.  The game was not listed anywhere in the menu's on my DVR, but was available on my iPad.  I tried to play the game from my iPad while mirroring to the TV, but got a licensing error.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

How do you access them?  

My power was out on Monday, therefore no recording of the Sharks hockey game.  The game was not listed anywhere in the menu's on my DVR, but was available on my iPad.  I tried to play the game from my iPad while mirroring to the TV, but got a licensing error. 

all cloud recordings appear as if they were recorded on your own DVR. when playing a recording press OK button and in upper left corner will be either "DVR" or "cloud icon DVR". 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

How do you access them?  

all cloud recordings appear as if they were recorded on your own DVR. then playing a recording press OK button and in upper left corner will be either "DVR" or "cloud icon DVR". 

Sorry, I'm still missing something...

I did actually have a recording for the game my DVR which was just a few minutes long, since the power came back on right before the end of the recording.  The only option I saw was "Watch", which took me to the last couple minutes of the recording (after the game was over).  I tried a few different times, even after looking to see that the full recording was in the cloud.

I could see on my iPad that I had access to a recording of the game that was 3 hours long and contained the full game.

But when I selected the game on my DVR, I don't see any option to select the cloud recording, just the one that was only a couple minutes long.  The "watch" started playing the end.  Is there a different menu option to select the cloud recording?

Thanks for the help.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

How do you access them?  

all cloud recordings appear as if they were recorded on your own DVR. then playing a recording press OK button and in upper left corner will be either "DVR" or "cloud icon DVR". 

I did actually have a recording for the game my DVR which was just a few minutes long, since the power came back on right before the end of the recording.  The only option I saw was "Watch", which took me to the last couple minutes of the recording (after the game was over).  I tried a few different times, even after looking to see that the full recording was in the cloud.

I could see on my iPad that I had access to a recording of the game that was 3 hours long and contained the full game.

But when I selected the game on my DVR, I don't see any option to select the cloud recording, just the one that was only a couple minutes long.  The "watch" started playing the end.  Is there a different menu option to select the cloud recording?

Thanks for the help.

is there a ways to watch? last I heard is that you can't pick cloud DVR copy even with ways to watch. deleting the home DVR version will delete the cloud version too

Official Employee

Tctc, if you go to Comcast Labs to playback settings to dvr and press ok, and choose cloud playback only, will it show? Or both showing duplicates
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

How do you access them?  

Thanks for the help.

is there a ways to watch? last I heard is that you can't pick cloud DVR copy even with ways to watch. deleting the home DVR version will delete the cloud version too

There was only Watch.  Now there is Resume or Restart, but restart is just back to the beginning of the 19 minutes out of 3 hours.  It seems like maybe the DVR "thinks" there is a full recording there.  But I don't see any way to use access the cloud recording from the DVR, nor any way to download the full recording from the cloud to my DVR.  So as far as I can tell it's of no use to me (even though Comcast phone reps seem to think it functions as a backup.)

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Tctc, if you go to Comcast Labs to playback settings to dvr and press ok, and choose cloud playback only, will it show? Or both showing duplicates

My Comcast Labs menu consists of:

Cable Signal Strength

Autoplay Next Episode

HDMI Link

Regular Contributor

Now I’m totally confused.  Do the cloud only recordings count towards your 60 hour limit?  If you exceed that with new DVR recordings, are the cloud only recordings deleted?  Since they are only in the cloud, I’m assuming we would lose them forever if they disappear.  And back to the original question, why is there a 60 hour limit on cloud recordings?  What’s the point of having all these recordings on our DVRs if we can’t access them remotely?  Seems like we can only see most things if we are sitting in front of our TVs.  Not much flexibility there.

Regular Contributor

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Now I’m totally confused.  Do the cloud only recordings count towards your 60 hour limit?  If you exceed that with new DVR recordings, are the cloud only recordings deleted?  Since they are only in the cloud, I’m assuming we would lose them forever if they disappear.  And back to the original question, why is there a 60 hour limit on cloud recordings?  What’s the point of having all these recordings on our DVRs if we can’t access them remotely?  Seems like we can only see most things if we are sitting in front of our TVs.  Not much flexibility there.

Is there a way to set up "cloud only" recordings?

I get a recording on both the DVR and in the cloud, regardless of how I schedule the recording.

And regardless of how it is scheduled, if the cloud goes over 60 hours (which it does at approx. 34% of my DVR capacity), then I start losing cloud recordings.

60 hours is an arbitrary limit set up by Comcast based on how much storage they want to pay for.  Clearly it's not in any way related to the amount of storage on a DVR.

There is a limitation on watching many programs outside of your home network, so yes, that additionally limits the cloud.  It's not a backup, and it only works away from the home on a mobile device for certain programs, assuming they haven't been deleted by recordings scheduled on your DVR...

And yeah, sorry, I'm sure that didn't clear up anthing, but then neither does the X1 Cloud DVR FAQ.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

I get a recording on both the DVR and in the cloud, regardless of how I schedule the recording.

And regardless of how it is scheduled, if the cloud goes over 60 hours (which it does at approx. 34% of my DVR capacity), then I start losing cloud recordings.

60 hours is an arbitrary limit set up by Comcast based on how much storage they want to pay for.  Clearly it's not in any way related to the amount of storage on a DVR.

There is a limitation on watching many programs outside of your home network, so yes, that additionally limits the cloud.  It's not a backup, and it only works away from the home on a mobile device for certain programs, assuming they haven't been deleted by recordings scheduled on your DVR...

And yeah, sorry, I'm sure that didn't clear up anthing, but then neither does the X1 Cloud DVR FAQ.

There is no way to set up a "cloud only" recording,

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

the cloud DVR is a free benefit of having an in-home cloud DVR and it contains the last 60 hours of recordings. It will serve as a backup if you lose power for example as the cloud recordings will show when your power returns (but be in 2.0 stereo only). 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

the cloud DVR is a free benefit of having an in-home cloud DVR and it contains the last 60 hours of recordings. It will serve as a backup if you lose power for example as the cloud recordings will show when your power returns (but be in 2.0 stereo only). 

Sorry, but I disagree.  If I can't access the cloud content from my DVR then it's not a backup.  And I haven't been able to do so.

It's more of an alternative platform, with less storage space and significant restrictions.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree.  If I can't access the cloud content from my DVR then it's not a backup.  And I haven't been able to do so.

It's more of an alternative platform, with less storage space and significant restrictions.

if you have one DVR and it fails and you have to replace it, the cloud recordings will be seen in your recordings menu (will play only inj stereo 2.0). 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

if you have one DVR and it fails and you have to replace it, the cloud recordings will bee seen in your recordings menu (will play only inj stereo 2.0). 

So I had a power outage and can't access my cloud/backup recordings made during the outage because to do that I would need to swap out my current DVR for a new one?

That's not a backup.

That's like having a google drive backup of your computer that you can only access if you buy a new computer...

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

if you have one DVR and it fails and you have to replace it, the cloud recordings will bee seen in your recordings menu (will play only inj stereo 2.0). 

So I had a power outage and can't access my cloud/backup recordings made during the outage because to do that I would need to swap out my current DVR for a new one?

That's not a backup.

That's like having a google drive backup of your computer that you can only access if you buy a new computer... 

if you have no local copy of the program on your home DVR the cloud version will appear as other recordings do and can be played back on any of the x1 set top boxes.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

That's not a backup.

if you have no local copy of the program on your home DVR the cloud version will appear as other recordings do and can be played back on any of the x1 set top boxes.

So is there a way for me to delete the recording from my DVR without deleting the cloud version, so that the cloud version will then show up on my DVR?

Or a Replace menu option, or some way that would make this useful, since it seems this will only help if there is a recording that is completely missed during a power outage, not an interruption, or a replaced DVR scenario.  (And I'm curious if anyone can verify that it actually works for a power/service outage.)

I have a mangled recording with bad reception/pixelization/sound, that I would like to delete and watch a clean cloud version, and a 19 minute cut off recording of a 3 hour game that I would like to delete and watch the cloud version on my TV.

Seems like another, so close but yet so far, X1 implementation...

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@orfartenbuehl wrote:

That's not a backup.

So is there a way for me to delete the recording from my DVR without deleting the cloud version, so that the cloud version will then show up on my DVR?

Or a Replace menu option, or some way that would make this useful, since it seems this will only help if there is a recording that is completely missed during a power outage, not an interruption, or a replaced DVR scenario.  (And I'm curious if anyone can verify that it actually works for a power/service outage.)

I have a mangled recording with bad reception/pixelization/sound, that I would like to delete and watch a clean cloud version, and a 19 minute cut off recording of a 3 hour game that I would like to delete and watch the cloud version on my TV.

Seems like another, so close but yet so far, X1 implementation...

there is no current menu driven method of doing that. If you have an rng150 or xg2 you could unplug your DVR (the recording would disappear locally) and then playback on the cloud version.