Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Closed Caption intermittently missing on X1 DVR Recordings

New Poster

Closed Caption intermittently missing on X1 DVR Recordings

I have closed caption turned on all the time. Intermittently, I will come across DVR recordings that do not display closed captioning. Each time, I have checked the program information to make sure CC is showing, and it always is. Any ideas?
Service Expert

Re: Closed Caption intermittently missing on X1 DVR Recordings

Shapicnik wrote:
I have closed caption turned on all the time. Intermittently, I will come across DVR recordings that do not display closed captioning. Each time, I have checked the program information to make sure CC is showing, and it always is. Any ideas?

this is common to the 'cable' industry. the streams are included in the mepg streams just like audio is included all the time in the stream. The producers may have not turned on the 'flag' in the actual recording or the device you are using to watch didn't 'see' the signal correctly and display the stream. You can often test this by playing the same recording that had the issue on a smart device and/or a desk/laptop from the cloud DVR. I've found that much of the time the smart device will have 'garbled' or 'scrolling letters with words 2 or three letters wide but chaacters are changing all the time making gibberish. Having worked with many of these issues with local stations I've found the problem to be only by the producers of the content. Bottom line is if the channel is local (usual) then you can work with the stations liason engineer who can then work with the producer/production company to correct the caption(s) stream. If it is a cable company you can post examples on the TV>accessability area of the forum. Comcast is not responsible for local must-carry channels. Some old episodes of series won't have captions and are grandfathered in, same for some older movies.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation