Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot pair XR11 with new XiD-P second box...

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Cannot pair XR11 with new XiD-P second box...

Just received a self-install kit for a secondary box (XiD-P) in bedroom.  When trying to pair XR-11 remote to bedroom box the pairing information comes up on my X1 DVR in living room. The bedroom box gets to the "Choose Language" screen and I cannot go any further since I cannot pair remote.

Any help would be appreciated.  I tried searching forum to no avail...at least that I could see.  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot pair XR11 with new XiD-P second box...

It's working!

Went and swapped out remote for another XR11. The CSR at Comcast office said when the language selection screen pops up, AND before pairing, select English or Spanish. Next enter your data on account information page. Once my account was verified, an instructional screen on how to pair remote popped up. I paired the XR11 in the traditional way then a screen popped up to pair to TV volume. The remote  now controls only the bedroom box and TV with no interference to living room DVR. I tested DVR playback, OnDemand, etc., and all is in order. 

Thanks again to all who assisted me!

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Try the remote you already have for your new box.

Also, do you know if the cable outlet you are trying to plug into is actually live or has good enough signal to support X1 boxes?

You may need to try exchanging your X1 box locations...

ccom21 wrote:

Just received a self-install kit for a secondary box (XiD-P) in bedroom.  When trying to pair XR-11 remote to bedroom box the pairing information comes up on my X1 DVR in living room. The bedroom box gets to the "Choose Language" screen and I cannot go any further since I cannot pair remote.

Any help would be appreciated.  I tried searching forum to no avail...at least that I could see.  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for response. Not sure I understand. Already had X1 DVR in living room with XR11 remote working perfectly. I'm trying to pair XR11 remote that came with XiD-P box that is in bedroom. It tries to pair to main DVR in living room.  This is a small apartment with bedroom just on other side of living room.

Service Expert

The "aim-anywhere" feature is causing this. Cover up the other box completely with something to block the remote signal.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Unplug the living room DVR then pair your new box. Make sure the new box is within line of site of the remote until the pairing process is complete.

ccom21 wrote:

Thanks for response. Not sure I understand. Already had X1 DVR in living room with XR11 remote working perfectly. I'm trying to pair XR11 remote that came with XiD-P box that is in bedroom. It tries to pair to main DVR in living room.  This is a small apartment with bedroom just on other side of living room.

Problem Solver

According to ComcastAndrew in this post, unplugging the DVR causes the XiD to get disconnected.  He suggests "holding the remote right against the front of the XiD should keep the DVR from picking up the remote signal"

Gold Problem Solver

You are right. I have never had an Xixxx box and I never will. But shutting off the main DVR should help...

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

According to ComcastAndrew in this post, unplugging the DVR causes the XiD to get disconnected.  He suggests "holding the remote right against the front of the XiD should keep the DVR from picking up the remote signal"

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

You are right. I have never had an Xixxx box and I never will. But shutting off the main DVR should help...

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

I also saw ComcastAndrew post.  When you unplug the main DVR the XiD-P ends up in a connection error that states to power the main player then mini-player and try again.  Secondly, I tried holding the remote against the XiD-P and the enter pin message appeared on living room TV again.  I'm at a loss here. I had no problem setting up X1 DVR and pairing that remote.  One thing, the blue light on the XiD-P blinks each time I press the Xfinity button on remote. So it seems to be detecting the XR11.

Problem Solver

Maybe try covering the DVR with tinfoil to block the signal. Other than that I don't know what else you can try.

Service Expert

ccom21 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

I also saw ComcastAndrew post.  When you unplug the main DVR the XiD-P ends up in a connection error that states to power the main player then mini-player and try again.  Secondly, I tried holding the remote against the XiD-P and the enter pin message appeared on living room TV again.  I'm at a loss here. I had no problem setting up X1 DVR and pairing that remote.  One thing, the blue light on the XiD-P blinks each time I press the Xfinity button on remote. So it seems to be detecting the XR11.

using the remote you wish to pair: press setup until red LED changes to green and type 987 (this will unpair the remote and put it in IR mode. then aiming the remote to the X1 set top box press the remote's setup button until it changes to green and tap the xfinity button. if no numbers pop up quickly press the xfinity button again. press the 3 numbers shown and you will be paired to that device. a particular remote can only be paired to one device via RF at a time. more than one remote can be paired to an x1 set top box.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

ccom21 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Hold the XR 11 right to the front of the XiD and pair it.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

RickGr4 wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

The XiD takes a tuner from the DVR, you turn off the DVR, essentially, you disable the XiD also

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the replies.  Just to restate. This is a new XiD for bedroom being set up for the first time.  I plug XiD to power and when it gets to "Choose Language" screen, I attempt to pair XR11 remote. The pairing screen keeps coming up on Living Room DVR.  As you have to leave DVR on, I have tried to cover front of it and then pair XR11 holding it to front of XiD to no avail. The blue light on XiD flashes with each press of remote buttons however the 3-digit pairing never appears on screen. OR, if it does, it shows up on living room DVR.

Problem Solver

Get a box, cover it with tin foil, and put the dvr inside. This should work like a Faraday cage hopefully. What do you have to lose?

Regular Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

There could be another issue here.  In the referenced post, the other person had his DVR and other box right next to each other, and holding the remote right against the front of the box worked.

Frequent Visitor

CoreyD wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

There could be another issue here.  In the referenced post, the other person had his DVR and other box right next to each other, and holding the remote right against the front of the box worked.

I saw the post you referenced which of course made me more frustrated.  Even took HowAboutThisOne's advice and used aluminum foil around front part of living room DVR.  Now this worked in that when I tried to pair the bedroom XiD it did not pair to living room DVR. However, it still is not pairing to bedroom XiD even though the blue light on XiD flashes each time I depress the Xfinity button of XR11. Maybe time to switch out box and/or XR11?? Do I need a tech visit?  It seems this would be so easy.

Gold Problem Solver

A bad remote is always possible. Comcast service locations give them away for free.

Did you try pairing that particular remote to another box?

ccom21 wrote:

CoreyD wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

I saw the post you referenced which of course made me more frustrated.  Even took HowAboutThisOne's advice and used aluminum foil around front part of living room DVR.  Now this worked in that when I tried to pair the bedroom XiD it did not pair to living room DVR. However, it still is not pairing to bedroom XiD even though the blue light on XiD flashes each time I depress the Xfinity button of XR11. Maybe time to switch out box and/or XR11?? Do I need a tech visit?  It seems this would be so easy.

Official Employee

I plug XiD to power and when it gets to "Choose Language" screen, I attempt to pair XR11 remote. The pairing screen keeps coming up on Living Room DVR.

Did you ever get to the screen with account number information screen? That has to be done first

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
I plug XiD to power and when it gets to "Choose Language" screen, I attempt to pair XR11 remote. The pairing screen keeps coming up on Living Room DVR.

Did you ever get to the screen with account number information screen? That has to be done first

Yes. After the initial start-up screens it lands on the language page first then as I'm attempting to pair that XR11 it'll be on account info screen. Can't enter any numbers since I can't pair remote. It's like it's connecting somewhat as the blue light on XiD briefly flashes each time I depress remote buttons.  Funny thing, in another post someone referenced, they said they paired to an XiD  that was sitting right next to an X1 DVR by pressing remote to front of box. Tried remote directly in front to no avail. I appreciate the suggestions. Won't be able to work with this unitl I get home later today.

Gold Problem Solver

Well that explains it. The box isn't active.

I had the same thing happen to me when I set up my XG2 boxes. I just grabbed a different remote that I knew was NOT already RF paired (still using infrared) and I was able to complete the process.

ccom21 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Yes. After the initial start-up screens it lands on the language page first then as I'm attempting to pair that XR11 it'll be on account info screen. Can't enter any numbers since I can't pair remote. It's like it's connecting somewhat as the blue light on XiD briefly flashes each time I depress remote buttons.  Funny thing, in another post someone referenced, they said they paired to an XiD  that was sitting right next to an X1 DVR by pressing remote to front of box. Tried remote directly in front to no avail. I appreciate the suggestions. Won't be able to work with this unitl I get home later today.

Official Employee

Is it the new remote that came with the XiD or is it the previous remote? Try the remote that you know works with the DVR and see if it will pair, if it doesn't, it may be a bad box

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Is it the new remote that came with the XiD or is it the previous remote? Try the remote that you know works with the DVR and see if it will pair, if it doesn't, it may be a bad box

It's the remote that came with XiD. Called CSR this AM and she registered the box. Following that the remote didn't interfere with the living room DVR but still would not pair with XiD. However the arrow buttons and number buttons allowed me to enter account info without pairing the remote?? Then all froze and remote no longer worked at all.  Going to office in morning to swap out remote.  She stated this has been occuring sporatically with the XiDs and XR-11s and after swapping remotes all worked and paired as it is supposed to.  Have you heard of this? I hope this works.

Gold Problem Solver

Ever consider cutting your losses and have Comcast send a tech out? No offense but I'd bet a tech would have you up and running in 10 minutes.
Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

Ever consider cutting your losses and have Comcast send a tech out? No offense but I'd bet a tech would have you up and running in 10 minutes.

The office is only 3 miles from me and the bedroom really isn't a priority as I have been busy this week. Will check out replacement but will call tech out if that fails.

Service Expert

ccom21 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

The office is only 3 miles from me and the bedroom really isn't a priority as I have been busy this week. Will check out replacement but will call tech out if that fails.

take in the xid and ask for an xg2 too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

It's working!

Went and swapped out remote for another XR11. The CSR at Comcast office said when the language selection screen pops up, AND before pairing, select English or Spanish. Next enter your data on account information page. Once my account was verified, an instructional screen on how to pair remote popped up. I paired the XR11 in the traditional way then a screen popped up to pair to TV volume. The remote  now controls only the bedroom box and TV with no interference to living room DVR. I tested DVR playback, OnDemand, etc., and all is in order. 

Thanks again to all who assisted me!

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation