Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can you set a program reminder on the X1 platform ?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 5 of 151 (24,177 Views)

Can you set a program reminder on the X1 platform ?

I just had my Comcast service switched over to the X1 platform today not by choice but was switching over phone and internet to Comcast so that was required (I do not have a DVR).  Have had problems with the new remote sticking sometimes (i.e. keeps repeating numbers).  Will take some getting used to the "new" guide which in my opinion is harder to read and I don't like that you can't see a view of the current program while browsing the guide.  We were trying to figure out if there is a way to set a program reminder like you could with the old Comcast. 

150 REPLIES
Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor

Message 1 of 151 (27,924 Views)

Setting a reminder sight the new x1 box and x2 remote

It would help soooooo much if anyone could tell me how to set the reminder for a show with the new x1 box and x2 remote plz help
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 151 (27,904 Views)

Re: Setting a reminder sight the new x1 box and x2 remote

The set top box and remote control have no function to set reminders, AFAIK.

This can be done using the Queue feature on the xfinity.com/tv website. 

You can set up action to tune a program on the TV, play it on PC or record on DVR.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 151 (26,799 Views)

I just upgraded to x1 and thought I was crazy when I couldn't set a program reminder. How could comcast not include this function....it's really important. They have got to get the reminders in the upgrade.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 151 (26,782 Views)

Agree.  Just got Comcast TV today and went looking for the reminder and couldn't find it.  I was certain I was just missing it as it seems it would be a basic function.  Reading these reviews indicates otherwise.  This function needs to be added in the next upgrade.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 151 (23,371 Views)

Re: Can you set a program reminder on the X1 platform ?

No reminders.

Not sure what you meam by can't see a view of the current program. If you mean the channel you are tuned to then the background is transparent and you can see the program. Or you can press B to putit in a window.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 151 (23,304 Views)

We were told some sort of reminder feature may be coming but if I recall it had something to do with On Demand.

Dainabrewster wrote:

I just had my Comcast service switched over to the X1 platform today not by choice but was switching over phone and internet to Comcast so that was required (I do not have a DVR).  Have had problems with the new remote sticking sometimes (i.e. keeps repeating numbers).  Will take some getting used to the "new" guide which in my opinion is harder to read and I don't like that you can't see a view of the current program while browsing the guide.  We were trying to figure out if there is a way to set a program reminder like you could with the old Comcast. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 8 of 151 (23,290 Views)

so you have x1 without dvr?what model box do you have?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 9 of 151 (23,285 Views)

Pizzaman has a point. You say you don't have a DVR? I think either you DON'T have X1 or you DO have a DVR. What is the model number on the front? Do you have other boxes in the house?

Dainabrewster wrote:

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 10 of 151 (23,283 Views)

could you imagine if they stuck this guy with a solo companion box running x1...i would go mad.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 11 of 151 (23,249 Views)

Yes, I know it is transparent in the background but it might as well not be there because we can't really see it.  Thanks for the info about pressing B.  Will try that.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 151 (23,248 Views)

Tried the B and that is so small it really doesn't work well.  We actually found something accidentally regarding the guide.  If we press OK and then either the right or left arrow you have the current program on the left side of the screen and part of the guide on the right.  Isn't ideal but an option.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 151 (23,244 Views)

I was told by the technician (and sales rep) that it is X1 but maybe he was mistaken. Initially the box he installed was the one that you would have if you have a DVR but then when he got a message that additional equipment was required to be installed had to switch it out to another box.  I DO NOT have a DVR.  The only number I see on the box is RNG 150N

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 14 of 151 (23,231 Views)

Comcast uses the RNG 150N model number for more boxes than X1. Does your box have a round, green power button on the far right side? Does it say "Xfinity" on the far left? Does it have any buttons other than power on the front? Does it have a clock/channel display on the front?

When you press GUIDE is the menu background primarily black?

Dainabrewster wrote:

I was told by the technician (and sales rep) that it is X1 but maybe he was mistaken. Initially the box he installed was the one that you would have if you have a DVR but then when he got a message that additional equipment was required to be installed had to switch it out to another box.  I DO NOT have a DVR.  The only number I see on the box is RNG 150N

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 15 of 151 (23,226 Views)

I may have answered my own question. If you are familiar with adjusting the transparency and pressing B gives you the little box in the lower right corner you must have an X1 Companion box.

You might be the first person in this forum using an X1 Companion box without an X1 DVR. We were lead to believe that if the Companion box even worked without an X1 DVR, there would be serious limitations to it's functionality...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 151 (23,223 Views)

rick not sure where but i heard somewhere. that their box was available to upgrade to x1 as a firmware upgrade. maybe they are offering these things now to customers. wow if i was a channel surfer this would not be the box for me

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 151 (23,194 Views)

By the way, I am NOT a guy:-) 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 151 (23,189 Views)

Yes to the round green button and "Xfinity" on the far left.  No other buttons and no clock.  On the front of the box it says "Remote", "Data" and "Record".  Glad my information is providing amusement for some of you.  At this point, my questions have been answered though....there is no reminder feature and that sucks for us.  We are not glued to the TV 24 hours a day and so a DVR was not a consideration at this time, never mind the cost.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 151 (23,187 Views)

Well if this is limited functionality I would hate to see what full functionality is.  This is way more than we had before and frankly probably won't use a lot of it.  Not happy though that some of the previous functionality is not available.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 20 of 151 (23,182 Views)

If I made a comment that suggested you were a man or woman, I totally apologize. I make it a point to be gender neutral unless I know 110% for sure.

It would seem you are unique. You have an X1 Companion box without an X1 DVR. Please keep us informed as to how your experience goes.

FYI, we were told that a reminder system may be returning with a future update but it may involve only On Demand programming so who knows what will happen.

Dainabrewster wrote:

Well if this is limited functionality I would hate to see what full functionality is.  This is way more than we had before and frankly probably won't use a lot of it.  Not happy though that some of the previous functionality is not available.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 21 of 151 (23,171 Views)

I am sorry for addressing you as a guy. I do it all the time with no thought to whom i am speaking to. as rick had said we are always here to help. have a great night ..pizzaman...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 151 (23,121 Views)

Just had X1 installed today. I was FLOORED when I discovered there's no 'reminder' function. That was my MOST used function on the old system. I can't get this logic at all. The idea of just sitting down at the start of the evening, seaching the schedule, then setting all my reminders for the night was perfect. It's a real head-shaker for Xfinity to do this. All these great format changes for everything else and they leave that useful function out. Nutty.

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-29-2014 03:36 PM

Problem Solver

Message 23 of 151 (23,114 Views)

[ Edited ]

mussman wrote:

Just had X1 installed today. I was FLOORED when I discovered there's no 'reminder' function. That was my MOST used function on the old system. I can't get this logic at all. The idea of just sitting down at the start of the evening, seaching the schedule, then setting all my reminders for the night was perfect. It's a real head-shaker for Xfinity to do this. All these great format changes for everything else and they leave that useful function out. Nutty.

there is a great work around for this. set everything as a series recording then every night take away episodes you wish not to record . you can do this on your box..xfinity>saved>scheduled..or use the online dvr manager which works great and can use anywhere you access to the net.

pizzaman

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 24 of 151 (21,768 Views)

I have some of the same problems as you have listed. We also declined the DVR service as we didn't wish to incure additional charges. We are unable to find where to set reminders for a future program anywhere.  HELP This X1 platform box and controler have turned into a nightmare rather than an enjoyable experience.

The writting on the screen is to small to read without glasses or needing to get out of bed to see where you are turning the channel to. There is no place to change the size of the font appearing on the screen

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 25 of 151 (21,763 Views)

X1 has no reminder system however it was mentioned some time ago as a future update. The guide font size it what it is and won't be changing any time soon if ever. If these issues are dealbreakers for you then you better go back to legacy boxes.

FYI, X1 is really intended for people that use DVR capability. If you don't care about recording (you should) X1 has far less appeal.

Denzie wrote:

I have some of the same problems as you have listed. We also declined the DVR service as we didn't wish to incure additional charges. We are unable to find where to set reminders for a future program anywhere.  HELP This X1 platform box and controler have turned into a nightmare rather than an enjoyable experience.

The writting on the screen is to small to read without glasses or needing to get out of bed to see where you are turning the channel to. There is no place to change the size of the font appearing on the screen

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 26 of 151 (21,566 Views)

No reminders but I know what he means by viewing the current program while viewing the guide. Instead of pressing the red xfinity button to see the guide, press the arrow key next to the OK button. A channel list will come up on the right and the program you're watching will shrink over to the left instead of being completely covered by the channel guide.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 27 of 151 (21,470 Views)

I just got the X1 and I also do not have DVR  and I to am looking for the program reminder...

I have the black controller square top, red light up buttons silver OK button...

I truly miss being able to set reminders I just dont know how..

Please help if possible ..

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 28 of 151 (21,467 Views)

Sorry but X1 does not have a reminder system. We have not anything recent that would suggest Comcast plans to add one.

OzzyzMommy wrote:

I just got the X1 and I also do not have DVR  and I to am looking for the program reminder...

I have the black controller square top, red light up buttons silver OK button...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 29 of 151 (21,458 Views)

OzzyzMommy wrote:

If it is a TV series you need a reminder per episode, and have a smart phone there is a free app (advertisement supported) for iPhone (not sure about android) called TV show tracker. You add the series and set the reminder period. I have mine set for 30 minutes prior to episode 'begin' time. It will only tell you about new episodes as a reminder not reruns.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 30 of 151 (21,037 Views)

RustyBen...   thanks so much for the heads-up about the app, tv show tracker!!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 151 (19,740 Views)

set a reminder on x1 remote

if I want to watch a show at 8 pm all my other remotes had a way to set a reminder that would pop up a minute before the show started . this new remote dont have that the remote is an XR5 v4-R for the X1 . So how do i set a reminder

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 32 of 151 (19,724 Views)

Re: set a reminder on x1 remote

Sorry, there are no "reminders" available on the X1 platform
Posted by
Visitor

Message 33 of 151 (19,711 Views)

dang that really stinks . No reminders hopefully in the future , it just needs a software update

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 34 of 151 (19,707 Views)

Comcast has been silent about adding a reminder system to X1. I would not count on it happening anytime soon.

needhelp315 wrote:

dang that really stinks . No reminders hopefully in the future , it just needs a software update

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 35 of 151 (19,705 Views)

needhelp315 wrote:

there is a smartphone app that can remind you of new series episodes on a variable 'time before' the episode. tv show tracker

i paid the 99cents to remove the ads and support them.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 36 of 151 (19,678 Views)

Rustyben wrote:

needhelp315 wrote:

there is a smartphone app that can remind you of new series episodes on a variable 'time before' the episode. tv show tracker

i paid the 99cents to remove the ads and support them.

Me too.  I use it every day.

______
Robert, an X1 System user
Google is your friend
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/x1/
Posted by
Visitor

Message 37 of 151 (19,673 Views)

sweet thanks

Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 151 (21,819 Views)

So I'm not crazy, there really is no way to set reminders on the NEW X1 remotes/boxes???

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 39 of 151 (21,791 Views)

brodgers33 wrote:

So I'm not crazy, there really is no way to set reminders on the NEW X1 remotes/boxes???

Afraid not..... you can prgram your Favorite Channels listing, but that will also "go away" after 90 minutes, give or take.....  it is what it is....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 40 of 151 (21,734 Views)

This is TOTALLY lame. This is a big feature that we use in our house and to see that this is no longer available is quite disappointing to say the least. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 41 of 151 (21,723 Views)

Just got X1 today.  To find out that there is no reminder function is a game changer.  Very disappointed.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 42 of 151 (21,688 Views)

I use a smartphone app - TV Show Tracker.  I paid 99cents to get rid of the ads.

______
Google is your friend
Posted by
Visitor

Message 43 of 151 (20,104 Views)

I agreed to go with X1 expecting more features, not having great features removed!  I, too, am floored that the program reminder feature is gone.  I would normally plan my programming with the reminders - not any more - I wish they would bring that back.

Also, I don't like the way that "favorites" are set up now.  I liked having different categories.

Argh!!!

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 44 of 151 (20,089 Views)

ritzie wrote:

I agreed to go with X1 expecting more features, not having great features removed!  I, too, am floored that the program reminder feature is gone.  I would normally plan my programming with the reminders - not any more - I wish they would bring that back.

Also, I don't like the way that "favorites" are set up now.  I liked having different categories.

Argh!!!

You might have the option to replace X1 with the legacy boxes that have those features.

______
Google is your friend
Posted by
Contributor

Message 45 of 151 (20,069 Views)

If I were Comcast developing the X1, I wouldn't bother adding the reminder feature to the platform. X1 is there to record anything you watch, there's no need to remind to tune into a channel. That's a legacy feature for a reason, TV shouldn't need reminders when you have the ability to just save (record) the programs and watch them whenever.

It'd be similar to setting an alarm to remind you to flip a switch on for, say, landscape lighting, when you could just buy a timer for it and not worry about it. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 46 of 151 (20,053 Views)

Good thing you are not developing for Comcast then because I want to watch the show as soon as it airs and not after it's recorded.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 47 of 151 (20,039 Views)

CaBubba wrote:

Good thing you are not developing for Comcast then because I want to watch the show as soon as it airs and not after it's recorded.

My tvshowtracker app sends me a reminder 15 minutes before a show starts.

______
Google is your friend
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 48 of 151 (20,036 Views)

I like to watch new episodes right away as well, but not at the cost of watching commercials. We ALWAYS let the DVR record ahead so we can skip commercials when we watch the show.

Last time I checked, over 30% of the TV that is currently being watched is recorded...

CaBubba wrote:

Posted by
Visitor
Message 49 of 151 (19,974 Views)

That means 70% watches live tv!

Robert...good work-around!  I downloaded the app. Thanks...

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 50 of 151 (19,958 Views)

For those of us who are lucky to have iOS or Android, it is an acceptable solution.  But sometimes I get three or four reminders at the same time because that's how many shows I watch with my DVR.

______
Google is your friend