Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

New Poster

Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  It works with On Demand Movies but not live TV.  Is there a setting or something I need to change?  I could do this before the upgrade.


All Replies
New Poster

Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  It works with On Demand Movies but not live TV.  Is there a setting or something I need to change?  I could do this before the upgrade.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

The X1 Companion boxes do not pause/FF/REW live TV. Only the main DVR does. You have two choices. Either record the show or replace your Companion boxes with DVRs.

 

 


kc7225 wrote:

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


 

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Why would they roll out a new product knowing people have been pausing live TV for years and not let you know that when you are upgrading.  doesn't make any sense.  Poor, poor planning on their part


RickGr4 wrote:

The X1 Companion boxes do not pause/FF/REW live TV. Only the main DVR does. You have two choices. Either record the show or replace your Companion boxes with DVRs.

 

 


kc7225 wrote:

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


 


 

Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

One advantage to having it setup this way is that there are more tuners available. I have a feeling that they had focus groups before launching the product. that is the drawback with dish and directv that you are sharing tuners with main box. I'll put money that at this point they are considering changing this to what the other providers do. Time will only tell.

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I'm not able to FF or pause live TV on the main DVR or companion box.


Bigal1958 wrote:

Why would they roll out a new product knowing people have been pausing live TV for years and not let you know that when you are upgrading.  doesn't make any sense.  Poor, poor planning on their part


RickGr4 wrote:

The X1 Companion boxes do not pause/FF/REW live TV. Only the main DVR does. You have two choices. Either record the show or replace your Companion boxes with DVRs.

 

 


kc7225 wrote:

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


 


 



 on the main DVR or compainon box.

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


kc7225 wrote:

I'm not able to FF or pause live TV on the main DVR or companion box.


Bigal1958 wrote:

Why would they roll out a new product knowing people have been pausing live TV for years and not let you know that when you are upgrading.  doesn't make any sense.  Poor, poor planning on their part


RickGr4 wrote:

The X1 Companion boxes do not pause/FF/REW live TV. Only the main DVR does. You have two choices. Either record the show or replace your Companion boxes with DVRs.

 

 


kc7225 wrote:

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


 


 



 on the main DVR or compainon box.


Companion boxes (RNG150) do not have any ability to ff rew pause.  Only X1 DVR;s.  But if you start a recording of a live show, you can ff rr pause with companion boxes..

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Other than unplugging and rebooting your DVR, there is no quickie miracle fix. You are gonna need to call in. Does the DVR record. Maybe DVR service is not activated on your account.

Either way you need to call in...

 


kc7225 wrote:

I'm not able to FF or pause live TV on the main DVR or companion box.


Bigal1958 wrote:

Why would they roll out a new product knowing people have been pausing live TV for years and not let you know that when you are upgrading.  doesn't make any sense.  Poor, poor planning on their part


RickGr4 wrote:

The X1 Companion boxes do not pause/FF/REW live TV. Only the main DVR does. You have two choices. Either record the show or replace your Companion boxes with DVRs.

 

 


kc7225 wrote:

Just upgraded to X1 and now I can't pause or rewind live TV.  Before the upgrade I was able to.  Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a setting or something I need to change?


 


 



 on the main DVR or compainon box.


 

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Me too. Apparently, you don't have these functions on the companion boxes, just on the main DVR.  X1 is a downgrade from previous service in my opinion. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

Me too. Apparently, you don't have these functions on the companion boxes, just on the main DVR.  X1 is a downgrade from previous service in my opinion. 


If you want to pause a companion, start recording the show you are watching.  (Workaround)

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

That doesn't work on my box. I still get the circle with a line through it. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

That doesn't work on my box. I still get the circle with a line through it. 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

You have my curioiosity....  Question-  Can you select to RECORD a program using your STB ????   If you cannot, you definitely have something amiss in your in-home wiring affecting signal levels between the boxes.... or you don't have X1 service at all....   SOmething is out of whack here...

 

-=Ray=-

 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

That doesn't work on my box. I still get the circle with a line through it. 


call the x1 support center at 877-896-8678. Sounds like they have that equipment coded as something else like a DTA.

Official Employee

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

That doesn't work on my box. I still get the circle with a line through it.
__________________

Adding to what Robert suggested, you need to access what you want to pause etc, through your recordings, not while you watch it live
Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Yes. I have to watch the recording rathervtgan the live program. I don't like that solution.  I think Comcast should solve this problem. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

Yes. I have to watch the recording rathervtgan the live program. I don't like that solution.  I think Comcast should solve this problem. 


What problem?  The STB's were never designed to pause or rewind live tv.... Perception error I think!

 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


geek46 wrote:

RCoyote wrote:

Yes. I have to watch the recording rathervtgan the live program. I don't like that solution.  I think Comcast should solve this problem. 


What problem?  The STB's were never designed to pause or rewind live tv.... Perception error I think!

 


xi3 was specifically designed to do trick play even has an SD card that is labelled as such. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


What problem?  The STB's were never designed to pause or rewind live tv.... Perception error I think!

 


xi3 was specifically designed to do trick play even has an SD card that is labelled as such. 


OP did not state xi3.... why cloud the issue?????   OP stated plain X1 service with an STB not being able to do what he wants....

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Yes, I perceived that the new X1 system would have all the capabilities of my old Comcast system and maybe a few new ones.  My mistake.

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

Yes, I perceived that the new X1 system would have all the capabilities of my old Comcast system and maybe a few new ones.  My mistake.


(skip this post if you are not into technical details of cable provider equipment) The statement 'stbs were never...' was incorrect when including the xi3 (newest stb). Added to the replies for clarity. Comcast has prominently promoted the xi3 as its newest set top box (stb). The apparent reason for the xi3 design is specifically to allow local stored video (SD Ram card) from live TV to be easily and quickly 'trick-played' of the STBs RAM buffer. Indeed, the xi3 is running as an approved exception to the FCC requirement of mandating a cable-card device as it does not contain any (none at all) cablecard instead relying on IP-only access to a designated gateway. In the current configuration as described to us on other threads, one tuner is used out of the available ones in local DVR(s). That is not the industry 'design' just one implementation of using a gateway (again in this case one of the local DVRs). However the real design is to put the gateway used in (part of) the modem/gateway device and entirely remove, it seems, all local Hard Drive based equipment opting instead to record in the cloud and watch locally. Time will tell (2-3 years maybe) what comcast does with it. In my opinion, since DVRs specifically are a 'loss' subsidized by comcast (meaning that entire cost all-in of providing the functions and equipment of a DVR is not being recovered as a revenue stream from us) that their goal is to move that 'loss' to a non-cost cloud solution. Basically comcast has already done the same for their headends as they have moved most of what  a head-end does to the comcast server cloud (too) aka head-end in the sky.

 

I know that this is highly technical but lots of people (contributors) here are technical and more info is better than no info. Yes, and I do know that for whatever reason comcast has turned-off that design feature or has accidently set the TSB Enable Status to False, OR changed Max Duration of TSB to 0 minutes (TSB = time shift buffer). It also is currently unknown to us the size of the removable SD card in GB that is provided with the xi3.

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I'm over it. Comcast offered my an additional DVR for $10 a month. I realized the old system only let me pause live TV on one channel. Not a big deal to record one more program. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

I'm over it. Comcast offered my an additional DVR for $10 a month. I realized the old system only let me pause live TV on one channel. Not a big deal to record one more program. 


I suspect that is not a DVR for $10/mo.  I pay that for Companions, which can't pause/rewind live shows.  But they can if you use the Companion to start recording the show you want to pause/rewind.

 

X1 DVR's can record 4 shows at the same time, so that shouldn't be a problem if you are used to the legacy Comcast DVR.

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Just realized I used to have 2 DVRs and could record 2 shows on each one. Now I have one DVR and can record 4 shows on it. I don't see the benefit, other than a lower monthly cost. 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


RCoyote wrote:

Just realized I used to have 2 DVRs and could record 2 shows on each one. Now I have one DVR and can record 4 shows on it. I don't see the benefit, other than a lower monthly cost. 


if they allow it in your area, the extra cost is about $2.50/week to have 2nd DVR instead of a companion box. gives you a super dvr of 8 tuners and 1000 gb of storage and eventually same amount of cloud storage for dvr.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

If you were recording two shows on both, you had to watch one of the shows you were recording. With X1 you can record four and watch a fifth. Or you can do what many of us have done and that is get additional X1 DVRs. I have three which means I can record 12 shows at the same time (not that I would ever do that and I worry about anyone that would want to do that)...  LOL


RCoyote wrote:

Just realized I used to have 2 DVRs and could record 2 shows on each one. Now I have one DVR and can record 4 shows on it. I don't see the benefit, other than a lower monthly cost. 


 

Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Hey 12 tuners come in handy many nights....
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

So if I swap out my companion box for another DVR so I can pause, fast forward, and rewind live TV, can I access other recordings on other devices i.e. as a total home DVR setup?
Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Good question. Anyone know whether a second DVR can access recordings one the first DVR?
Official Employee

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


Good question. Anyone know whether a second DVR can access recordings one the first DVR?
_____________________

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-whole-home-scheduling-faqs/

Sure will
Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


ComcastAndrew wrote:

Good question. Anyone know whether a second DVR can access recordings one the first DVR?
_____________________

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-whole-home-scheduling-faqs/

Sure will

I have 3 but it is impossible without unplugging 2 of the 3 to know what is on the other dvr. (other than possible lag issues). *edit* by that i mean it is like one super DVR with everything combined on the recordings/scheduled/priority etc screens. So yes you can see and watch any recording made in same home's DVRs

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I ended up swapping the two companion boxes for two more DVRs and I'm not sure the storage space is syncing correctly. I should have 1.5TB of space, but am at 78% full with only 15 recordings. Thoughts?
New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Yes you can. I have 2 DVRS and a companion box and have no problem accessing recorded shows on all boxes. they show on all boxes and I can watch on any tv.

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


tkamen wrote:
I ended up swapping the two companion boxes for two more DVRs and I'm not sure the storage space is syncing correctly. I should have 1.5TB of space, but am at 78% full with only 15 recordings. Thoughts?

count up your hours in the recordings folder.  If you have a smart phone download/run the xFinity My Account App and compare the set top box models and serial numbers listed on the app to your equipment. (your DVRs should each have a digital clock on the front.

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

just got the x1 installed.  love the new interface.  hate that i cannot pause and rewind live tv.  that is a feature i miss and used a lot.  i might switch back to the old boxes.  i can deal with the old interface.   it doesnt seem to be something comcast is in a rush to add since this thread has gone on for some time.    

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

The X1 DVRs CAN pause/rew/ff live TV.

The X1 "Companion" boxes cannot.


microspec0711 wrote:

just got the x1 installed.  love the new interface.  hate that i cannot pause and rewind live tv.  that is a feature i miss and used a lot.  i might switch back to the old boxes.  i can deal with the old interface.   it doesnt seem to be something comcast is in a rush to add since this thread has gone on for some time.    





Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Rustyben
They both look identical so I checked the app and two are listed as "mx001anm" while the other is "px001anm". Do you happen to know the difference?
Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


tkamen wrote:
Rustyben
They both look identical so I checked the app and two are listed as "mx001anm" while the other is "px001anm". Do you happen to know the difference?

The "m" means Motorola/Arris.

 

The "p" means Pace.

 

On the front of each device there are some letters left of the power button.  They will be either XG1-A (Arris) or XG1-P (Pace).

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Are the virtually the same specs inside or are they different?
Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Functionally equivalent.

Official Employee

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV
‎01-24-2015 08:13 AM

tkamen wrote:
Rustyben
They both look identical so I checked the app and two are listed as "mx001anm" while the other is "px001anm". Do you happen to know the difference?
The "m" means Motorola/Arris.

The "p" means Pace.

On the front of each device there are some letters left of the power button. They will be either XG1-A (Arris) or XG1-P (Pace).
___________________

The "M" in ANM stands for the type of cable card inside, in your case Motorola. Some have ANC which would be a Cisco cable card inside
Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


ComcastAndrew wrote:
Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV
‎01-24-2015 08:13 AM

tkamen wrote:
Rustyben
They both look identical so I checked the app and two are listed as "mx001anm" while the other is "px001anm". Do you happen to know the difference?
The "m" means Motorola/Arris.

The "p" means Pace.

On the front of each device there are some letters left of the power button. They will be either XG1-A (Arris) or XG1-P (Pace).
___________________

The "M" in ANM stands for the type of cable card inside, in your case Motorola. Some have ANC which would be a Cisco cable card inside

Thanks, Andrew.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

It looks like the issue resolved itself on its own. The following day it went back to showing 7% full which is way more accurate. My wife had mentioned that in the middle of the night she woke up and saw the box in our room updating a rebooting which I think may have been what fixed it.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Rebooting tends to fix many of these types of problems. It is discussed in this forum often so I did not think to mention it. Sorry.


tkamen wrote:

It looks like the issue resolved itself on its own. The following day it went back to showing 7% full which is way more accurate. My wife had mentioned that in the middle of the night she woke up and saw the box in our room updating a rebooting which I think may have been what fixed it.


 

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Funny you describe this as a downgrade. Having just moved cross country, I was "upgraded" to the X1 system and found out, as all on this thread know, that the companion box does not pause Live-TV. When I spoke with Comcast, I was given the option of returning to the Legacy system I had before. However, because it was 2 DVR's, I was told I would have to pay more per month.

 

Higher cost for a downgrade was what I told asked them? They made no offer to do much of anything. Tough Luck on me I guess. Thank you Comcast.

 

 

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I am also new to the X1 platform. I switched from Dish after 15 years where I had( 2) Hopper's and (3) Joey's. The only function the joey could not perform was split screen PIP which required multiple tuners at a single location. I now have (1) X1 Hub, and (3) companion boxes. I had no idea when I signed up that the companion boxes did not have the same functions and features as the hub. I asked comcast if I could add an additional X1 box to my system. I am willing to pay the difference. I was told that in my market (Seattle), this is not possible. So,if I lived on the east cost I could have multiple X1's........ Is this actually true?

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV


hragin1 wrote:

Funny you describe this as a downgrade. Having just moved cross country, I was "upgraded" to the X1 system and found out, as all on this thread know, that the companion box does not pause Live-TV. When I spoke with Comcast, I was given the option of returning to the Legacy system I had before. However, because it was 2 DVR's, I was told I would have to pay more per month.

 

Higher cost for a downgrade was what I told asked them? They made no offer to do much of anything. Tough Luck on me I guess. Thank you Comcast.

 

 


did you ask about being allowed to pay more for a 2nd DVR to replace the companion? Some areas allow it others don't (I have 3 X1 DVRs, companions were a deal-breaker so they let me have 3 DVRs (19.95 times 2 per month total charge just about 10/month each more than a companion). 

New Poster

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting question. I originally asked to have another Primary STB and was told that technically it was not possible becasue the multple boxes could not properly communicate with one another. Then I read these threads and it appears it's regional.

 

I will be calling Comcast again (I think I'd rather have root canal) and hear their excuse when I tell them I've learnd this is being done in other parts of the country, and the info is within the forums on their website.

 

I have been willing to pay more for the performace I want. Apparently that does not matter!?

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

I upgraded to X1 a week ago. When I first got it, I could pause live TV from the small companion box. 

 

When  I tried today, it said pausing live TV was not available. (I can pause from the main DVR.) 

 

Was I dreaming? 

Expert

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

Your box probably has an SD card.  Pull it out and put it back in.  If it doesn't have the card, your box probably can't pause rewind ff live shows unless it is a DVR.

Contributor

Re: Can't Pause or Rewind Live TV

To answer my own question, I unplugged all the boxes, plugged in the dvr and after it rebooted plugged in the other boxes. After that, I can now pause and rewind live TV on the companion boxes again!