Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Blue screen

Frequent Visitor

Blue screen

Since thunderstorm last Wednesday, I have had nothing but a blue screen. Audio over optical works fine and changes as I change channels. But I am not getting any video. Connected via hdmi using redmere cable.
Has been working flawlessly for months. I've rebooted, dis/reconnected power and hdmi, confirmed input. Countless "signals" sent via self serve app, and 2 different comcast techs. One I spoke to on the phone for over an hour, the other I wasted another hour with, via chat. Both assured me "this will definitely fix the issue". It didn't, either time. Both assured me at the end of our sessions, that I would get an email with support ticket info, to follow up. Never got any email either time - that alone is entirely unaccceotable!) Sigh.
Each time I reboot the x1dvr, I initially get a black screen that says "welcome to x1 platform", so I know signal is getting to the display, the hdmi cable is fine, the display is working and set to proper input. But when the boot completes, the screen goes solid blue, but I get audio. And when I shut the x1 off (remove AC) or disconnect hdmi, the screen goes from blue to black, so the blue is definitely coming from the x1, not a default screen on the display.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or ability to confirm the x1 box being the issue? I can't bear to waste any more time with the laughably-lame Comcast support - especially since I seem to be getting blown off, and there's never a ticket issued documenting my previous support follies, so I have to start over each time ("Is your x1 box plugged in to power, sir?" Cmon!
Also note that both times I've contacted "support" I requested escalated or tier2 support from the start, and numerous times during the exchanges, and both reps "talked me out of it" - essentially refused).

Is there any way I can reach anyone at Comcast who is technically /analytically savvy on the issues (rather than clearly following a very weak and rigid support script), can communicate professionally, and has at lease basic grade-school-level mastery of spoken English?

And am I insane to think I can get a tech to bring a new x1dvr to me, rather than me having to waste more of my time driving n standing in line?

Open to suggested next steps.
Thanks in advance gurus!
Tags (3)
Expert

Re: Blue screen

rpm-nj wrote:
Since thunderstorm last Wednesday, I have had nothing but a blue screen. Audio over optical works fine and changes as I change channels. But I am not getting any video. Connected via hdmi using redmere cable.
Has been working flawlessly for months. I've rebooted, dis/reconnected power and hdmi, confirmed input. Countless "signals" sent via self serve app, and 2 different comcast techs. One I spoke to on the phone for over an hour, the other I wasted another hour with, via chat. Both assured me "this will definitely fix the issue". It didn't, either time. Both assured me at the end of our sessions, that I would get an email with support ticket info, to follow up. Never got any email either time - that alone is entirely unaccceotable!) Sigh.
Each time I reboot the x1dvr, I initially get a black screen that says "welcome to x1 platform", so I know signal is getting to the display, the hdmi cable is fine, the display is working and set to proper input. But when the boot completes, the screen goes solid blue, but I get audio. And when I shut the x1 off (remove AC) or disconnect hdmi, the screen goes from blue to black, so the blue is definitely coming from the x1, not a default screen on the display.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or ability to confirm the x1 box being the issue? I can't bear to waste any more time with the laughably-lame Comcast support - especially since I seem to be getting blown off, and there's never a ticket issued documenting my previous support follies, so I have to start over each time ("Is your x1 box plugged in to power, sir?" Cmon!
Also note that both times I've contacted "support" I requested escalated or tier2 support from the start, and numerous times during the exchanges, and both reps "talked me out of it" - essentially refused).

Is there any way I can reach anyone at Comcast who is technically /analytically savvy on the issues (rather than clearly following a very weak and rigid support script), can communicate professionally, and has at lease basic grade-school-level mastery of spoken English?

And am I insane to think I can get a tech to bring a new x1dvr to me, rather than me having to waste more of my time driving n standing in line?

Open to suggested next steps.
Thanks in advance gurus!

on your Xfinity remote press the following buttons -- exit exit exit 720

If no picture then power down reboot the cable box.

Official Employee

It's possible during the storm that the hdmi port on the dvr was damaged. Since audio is working it's a safe bet the dvr is ok but you'll need to swap it. Assuming you've tried different devices on the hdmi port of the tv (to rule out the tv's hdmi port) and different hdmi cord.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply @Rustyben.
The code did something and the blue picture and audio both blinked immediately but then went right back the the way they were. Powered down and rebooted box. During reboot a got a period of all-red screen, as opposed to all-blue. But in the end I am back to where I was. Thanks anyway. Any other thoughts?
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @ComcastAndrew.
My x1 is in a media closet and rather difficult to get to. I don't have another hdmi-output device to easily connect to my tv, and I'm using a 45' redmere hdmi cable and don't have a spare.
Since I get the "welcome to x1" boot screen, im concluding that:
1. Hdmi output on x1 is probably ok.
2. Hdmi input on tv is ok.
3. Hdmi cable is ok.

Btw, the tv is an old philips 720p plasma.

Any further suggestions I can try before I try swapping the box?
Isn't there a way to get to a "singal strength" type screen on x1? Thought I remember from initial install - showing frequencies and gain levels etc. this might further test/validate any of the pieces of the puzzle above, even if it doesn't show any issue directly (like a failing x1 component, port, etc).
Official Employee

Signal levels are well within spec. If you can, use a second tv and see if it replicates it or not.

New Poster

I had the same exact issue. In hopes of avoiding comcast custoner service, I found this forum. Exit exit exit 720 resolved my issue. My screen went from blue to black, I turned off the tv, turned it back on and picture was back. I still don't know what caused the problem, there was no storm, it had worked last night. But thank you to the person who posted this solution.
New Poster

Exit, exit, exit 720 worked for me too, had to do it twice.
New Poster

You pressed Exit three times and entered the numbers 720?  Why would you even think of doing this and why would this change anything?  

Expert

cav888 wrote:

You pressed Exit three times and entered the numbers 720?  Why would you even think of doing this and why would this change anything?  

It changes the STB output resolution to 720p.  Some TV's need that resolution to work with X1.

Frequent Visitor

I had Xfinity installed three days ago.  Every morning I wake up to the blue screen and fight to get it back to normal.  What is causing this?   When I go to bed, it’s working fine.   I have a 4K Samsung TV....don’t blame that, it worked fine for two years with Dish.    Could it be the nightly “reboot” that is scheduled as an update?

Expert

I don't have a 4k TV but try changing the Power Saver settings.  Remember that the X1 box is supposed to be on 24/7.  You didn't say which X1 box you have.

Frequent Visitor

Hi Robert!  I have not setup any power saving options to date.  The model of the box is XG1v4-A.   The model is AX014ANC.   It keeps getting better now.   This evening, we turned off the TV for a few hours, turned it back on to crystal clear sound, and a black screen.  Faught with it for another 30 minutes before I pulled the plug on the XG1v4-A, and it finally came back to picture.  Also, Netflix works perfectly fine.   Fortunatly, I have not paid my first bill yet.   Had a service tech out this morning, again, to replace the small box for another TV.   That one was overheating.   I told him about the blue screen and he informed me that "that's weird.  A real hit or miss problem."  

Seems like lots of people post about these issues, but nobody has a solution.  

Official Employee

The power saving is on by default. Press the channel up/down or the Xfinity button to wake up the DVR. You can change the power saver to off
Frequent Visitor

Nope...Power Saver is not on, and never has been.  Went over that with the first tech that installed the system.   BTW, the TV. Is a Samsung UN65KU6290F.

Frequent Visitor

Update...I woke up to a crisp blue screen again today!    What’s the next step?   Remember, never had this issue with DISH tv.   

Expert

@Juskray47 wrote:

Update...I woke up to a crisp blue screen again today!    What’s the next step?   Remember, never had this issue with DISH tv.   

Next thing I would do is schedule a tech visit.