New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Auto extend doesnt work

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 21

I recorded the final world series game using Auto Extend. The recording stopped after the 11th inning. The game went 12 innings. Auto extend stinks. 

20 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 21

Agreed!  What good does it do if it does not extend to the end of the game.  LAME!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 21
And again!! Monday Night Football stops recording with 9 seconds left in regulation. Game went into overtime. Come on Comcast, fix it!!
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 4 of 21

Used Auto Extend to record tonight's Panthers/Colts game (which went into overtime) and it recorded the entire game. It seemed to work just dandy.

RCoyote wrote:
And again!! Monday Night Football stops recording with 9 seconds left in regulation. Game went into overtime. Come on Comcast, fix it!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 21

In case anyone hasn't noticed, auto-extend is not what it claims to be.  I've only seen an extra 30 minutes added.

I've resorted to adding an extra hour manually.

Edit:

If anyone has seen anything different, please advise.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 21

Robert,

One of the Comcasters told us that Auto Extend adds record time in 30 minute increments... It is not the way they initially intended it to work but it is what they seem to have landed on.

Last night's football game went into OT and my DVR recorded the entire game. As long as I did not miss the end of the game, I don't really care how Comcast goes about implementing Auto Extend...

I recently noticed a different problem. I use the online DVR Manager to add two hours when I record The Good Wife because it almost always follows football. I have noticed when I set the two hour extension it appears to not be "sticking" and it reverts to 30 minutes. My last two recordings of The Good Wife stopped short and my GF is not happy about it...

RobertWy wrote:

In case anyone hasn't noticed, auto-extend is not what it claims to be.  I've only seen an extra 30 minutes added.

I've resorted to adding an extra hour manually.

Edit:

If anyone has seen anything different, please advise.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 21

Thanks for the feedback, Rick.  Bottom line, they need to make some improvements to auto-extend?  And the other issue you describe?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 21

RCoyote wrote:

Likewise.  Same thing happened to me here in CO.  You know, this would be a killer feature if it worked, but it rarely does, which only leads to frustration and anger.  Honestly, I don't know why it hasn't just been removed.  If it were, you'd be doing us two favors, 1) not even allowing users to bite (i.e. trust the feature), and 2) it'd be one less right-arrow press on the remote to select either On time, 30 minutes late, etc.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 21
Hi Everyone,
As a reminder, Auto Extend is not yet supported for “Series” or "Team"recordings at this time. For now, if you would like to use the auto extend for a game that is recording as part of an existing Series recording (e.g an episode of Monday Night Football) be sure to find the specific event listing in the guide ( or scheduled recordings), open the Recording Options for that listing, select “Just this episode" and set the “Stop” time to “Auto Extend.” Do this for each game that you want to be auto extended that is part of the series. 

If your “Stop” time is set to anything other than “Auto Extend” (e.g 30 minutes), your program will not be Auto Extended and will only be recorded for the duration that you selected."

Hope this helps.
ComcastThomas

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 21

Thanks for the explanation Thomas. I think that is what caused my problem. When will Comcast have this deficiency fixed? I'm sure that everyone who records a series of programs or events would like to have every program recorded all the way to the end. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 21

RCoyote wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Thomas. I think that is what caused my problem. When will Comcast have this deficiency fixed? I'm sure that everyone who records a series of programs or events would like to have every program recorded all the way to the end. 

You're welcome.  Yes, we do recognize this as a gap and are working towards a solution.

ComcastThomas

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 21

any update on this?  I checked several threads and didn't see anything since last month.  is there a better thread I should be reading?  thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 21

An old thread but I am watching a Giants/Diamond Backs game that is auto-extending and while I was very critical of this feature when it first came online near the end of last year's baseball season, this year (2016) it seems to be working quite well.  I have seen the recording time extended for several baseball games that ran over the 3 hour normal recording time due to a rain delay or the game just running long.  I have not missed the end of any regular season games this season.  Very nice.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 21
I agree. They seem to have improved it. It's only available on selected programs though.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 21

I just missed the end of World Series Game #6, one of the most important games of the decade.  COMCAST - Please don't think AutoExtend feature is FIXED!

I have lost the endings of several games because I started to have faith in the feature.  If autoextend is going to work only 50% of the time, then it is no good.

Several people in this forum have started to say this feature is looking good in 2016, but please Comcast, you still need to get it right.

Tonight, the feature just didn't work for some reason.

Another time I called and explained my issue, and the support person said they were taking the issue to the dev team : if you have auto-extend on a live game and then click record on the 30 minute post game show, X1 will start the post game recording which stops the game recording. 

Could a Comcast rep respond with a current update on progress of all the issues?  I heard Comcast was disabling the feature until is was truly reliable?  Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 16 of 21

You may want to read something I just posted in another thread:

Auto Pad doesn't work right but there is a simple solution to this. Manually alter recordings times as I have always done. Funny but since I started manually adding three minutes to the end of my recording times I have no issues with this.

Comcast DVRs record according to the program guide. Guess what? Comcast uses a 3rd party company for their guide information and it appears Comcast does a horrible job of "policing" the 3rd party information. I have a feeling this is the same reason Auto Extend doesn't work right.

Yes, these features should work as advertised. But until Comcast correctly monitors their 3rd party guide data provider, that is probably not going to happen.

Add Tag

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 21

I googled "auto extend does not work" and found this forum. . . because, like one of the other responders, I recorded the last game of the World Series last night, using auto extend, and it stopped recording before the end of the game. If auto extend is indeed actually a 30-minute extension, it should say so. If Xfinity can't come up with the technology necessary to force the DVR to keep recording when it's obvious what it's recording isn't over (admitted tricky problem; probably requires artificial intelligence of some sort), then they should revert to the old system where you could pick how long past the "scheduled" end time you want it to continue recording.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 21

I've used it about 10 times I suppose now for games and it's worked about 7 times and cut off 3 times. I'm not gonna use it anymore since it seems to pick the most important games to cut off on. Like the 7th game of the world series that went way long due to extra innings and a rain delay. It cut off after 3:00 hours. Seems to work more times than not, but surely not perfected.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 21

It still doesn't work. I had been extending the record time for 1-1/2 hours on every sports program when it became evident the Comcast couldn't fix the autoextend problem.  Then, I saw that Comcast had reprogrammed the record option to show that any sports program would automatically auto extend, so I gave it a try.  Still doesn't work.  I'm going back to the 1-1/2 hour extension on everything.  Why can't you fix this problem Comcast?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 21

Yes, it is very hit or miss and with the Giants lately it is miss.  The recording stops after 3 hours.  Recently there was a 2 hour rain delay and the recording did not extend at all.  The game was not over when the recording ended and I don't know what Comcast thinks should happen in this situation.  I would expect that you could continue to view the game without being able to fast forward just like any recorded program but I don't know with auto extend what should happen.  This is a great feature when it works but still has some BIG bugs. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 21 of 21

Hello RCoyote, I apologize that the auto extend feature has failed you while trying to record some of your favorite content. Please set your DVR to extend the recording manually so that you never miss another big moment. To learn more about how to set up your DVR to start early or stop later so that you can watch all of a show please click on this [link]

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.