New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Audio CUTS out on X1 boxes

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 10

I have had Comcast fully engaged over the last 3 years and they still have not resolved the issue with my X1 sound cutting out (very slight skip) on both live broadcast as well as DVR recordings. the cut out does not happen at the same location in the dvr recorded shows; its intermittent.

I have 3 DTA's that weren't having this issue until yesterday and seemed to clear up on DTA side - which is a seperate "system" than the X1....

SETUP CONFIG:

X1 DVR is connected to this SAMSUNG TV

I have replaced my TV TWICE in three years. I have the latest 78" SAMSUNG TV

I have replace my BOSE SOUNDBAR with SONOS SOUNDBAR

HDMI connection from X1 to TV

OPTICAL OUT to SOUNDBAR

YES - this happens when soundbar is removed and audio going through HDMI using TV; however the frequency of these issues are lower. During prime time, the audio can cut out 10 to 15 times in an hour. its very annoying.. I've replaced expensive components; wires and even had COMCAST SR Techs at my house with "SNIFFERS" - all to no avail.  

YES I have tried using the OPTICAL out from the X1 DVR boxe(s) - I say boxes as I have had 6 of them swapped out

At one time this seemed to get much better; but recently (over the last 2-3 weeks it has been getting progressively worse) - since late Feb 2017...

This issue has gone to the CEO of COMCAST down south and the execs in my area in CT have been engaged. I can say that COMCAST has put lots of time and effort into this, however I continue to spend north of 220.00 a month for service that is disrupted....

Any thoughts??  

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor

Message 2 of 10

ALSO I have a ticket open with COMCAST on this issue again.. CR687388742

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 3 of 10
My thought?

Feel free to do some reading is this forum. This is a well known and widely discussed issue...
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 10

You did not state what model of Samsung TV you have.

If it has the Hub the X1 cable-box connects with a high-speed HDMI cable to "HDMI 1" on the hub. Any A/V surround sound (or otherwise) system is connected with high-speed HDMI cable to "HDMI 4 " on the Samsung Hub That is the ARC (auto return channel) meant for 5.1 and 7.1 speakers.

Do you have access to over the air broadcasts using an antenna? Amplified type is best. You could confirm this way if audio and video all work properly without cable involved. I have never used a cable-box to output to a speaker system. Before getting my 2015 Samsung 3D UHD Curved 65 inch tv, I connected the incoming Comcast coaxial-cable to the Sony S. S. A/V box first. 2005 Sony Bravia TV and Cable-box were connected with HDMI cables off the AV box.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 10
I have been posting about this issue in another active thread entitled "X1 Audio Dropouts Again" with still no fix. I own a Samsung UNK40. I am intrigued by your comments about a hub. I don't know what you mean but I connect to the HDMI 1 input but have tried it on HDMI2 also with no luck. I have also tried a RNG 150 to HDMI 1 with no issues. Problem is strictly an X1 issue.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 10
For those who follow the "audio drop out" thread, Comcast has admitted this is their issue to fix.

Unless there is something defective in your system, there is no fix at this point.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 10

Steve:

I have a Cisco RNG 150N Box also and do not see the problem. Just one more problem to keep me away from getting a X1 box. I hope they get all the problems fixed by the time they get a 4K box.

Any one with a smart television needs only to go to You Tube site to see the vast improvement in both video and audio signals possible for surround sound systems.

There is a large delay between signals received over the air versus cable. Easily checked with two or more televisions watched side by side. It stands to reason if someone would pull the audio signal off the cable-box (connection to speakers) instead of both coming off the television, that you are just asking for sync. problems between video and audio.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 8 of 10

The problem is that it may be COMCAST's to fix, but they haven't done so in 3 years since the problem was introduced....

Posted by
Visitor

Message 9 of 10

when I say "HUB" it is in context to the newest line of SAMSUNG TV's with ONECONNECT HDMI hub...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 10

I am posting this with absolutely nothing new to add but with the hope that SOMEONE at Comcast will give us an update. This problem may seem minor but when we watch anything on our X1 tv, we are reminded once every few minutes that there is a problem and it has been present for quite some time! It's like an annoying cough that just won't go away. For me it has been 8 months!

Some tech notes: My problem is thru both stereo and surround output modes. It is only with the X1 DVR hooked up to my Samsung UN40KU6300 and only thru the HDMI connection. I have tried both the Arris and Pace boxes, and have tried multiple inputs on the TV. My XiD-C box and RNG150 both work fine on that TV thru the HDMI.

DIAGNOSTICS:

DVR signals: Down Pwr -.6, Down SNR 37.0, Up Pwr 48.8.

MoCa signals: 233 in row1 and 241 in column 1.

HDMI signals: compliant, 1080i, 16x9, frame rate code 6.

Firmware Release: xappl-XRE.73P9

Firmware XRE Serv: 1.73.09

Firmware XRE Protocol: 2.8.0

Firmware Reciever: Native 2.9.0

Firmware STB Version: PX001AN_2.9p3s1_PROD_HYBse

Firmware Enviroment: ae-39

Please no suggestions about rewiring my setup. I must utilize the HDMI wire for both audio and video. One additional note that I mentioned before but I feel is important: If I pause live TV then immediately play -- creating my own 5 second delay -- there is no audio dropout! 

Any updates or additional info greatly appreciated!