Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Alternate Solution for DVR Recording that Won't Delete

New Poster

Alternate Solution for DVR Recording that Won't Delete

The users forum is full of complaints about this problem.  The best solution posted that I found was to unplug the DVR box for about 30 seconds, and plug it back in.  I've recently had the same problem and found my own solution that worked the first time I tried it without going through the inconvenience of rebooting the box.  Even though my DVR was only about 20% full, I could not delete a 90 minutes recording I had already watched.  I went to the "Recently Deleted" list and "permanently" deleted about 15 hours of recordings that were in that list.  When I went back to my list of current recordings, the one I had been trying to delete was gone.

My speculation is that the "Recently Deleted" area is similar to the "Recycle Bin" in the Windows operating system.  It has a predetermined limited capacity to avoid completely filling the DVR's hard drive.  Once that capacity is filled, no more recordings can be added to it.  However, rather than the Windows Recycle Bin real time deletion of the oldest items when capacity is reached and a new file is deleted, I suspect that the "Recently Deleted" list is normally flushed only once/day when the DVR box refreshes, but I was able to force a deletion from the current recordings list by manually making room in the "Recently Deleted" list.  Please note, my experience is based on only one incident and I'm not technically trained. 

Expert

Re: Alternate Solution for DVR Recording that Won't Delete

until coding is fixed just go to device settings and last menu choice to sync DVR.

Expert

Re: Alternate Solution for DVR Recording that Won't Delete

@newbie6 wrote:

The users forum is full of complaints about this problem.  The best solution posted that I found was to unplug the DVR box for about 30 seconds, and plug it back in.  I've recently had the same problem and found my own solution that worked the first time I tried it without going through the inconvenience of rebooting the box.  Even though my DVR was only about 20% full, I could not delete a 90 minutes recording I had already watched.  I went to the "Recently Deleted" list and "permanently" deleted about 15 hours of recordings that were in that list.  When I went back to my list of current recordings, the one I had been trying to delete was gone.

My speculation is that the "Recently Deleted" area is similar to the "Recycle Bin" in the Windows operating system.  It has a predetermined limited capacity to avoid completely filling the DVR's hard drive.  Once that capacity is filled, no more recordings can be added to it.  However, rather than the Windows Recycle Bin real time deletion of the oldest items when capacity is reached and a new file is deleted, I suspect that the "Recently Deleted" list is normally flushed only once/day when the DVR box refreshes, but I was able to force a deletion from the current recordings list by manually making room in the "Recently Deleted" list.  Please note, my experience is based on only one incident and I'm not technically trained. 

FYI deleted programs only stay in Recently Deleted for 24 hours.