online now

discussions

All Power doesn't turn the X1 set top box off

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 51 of 65 (577 Views)

Re: All Power doesn't turn the X1 set top box off

copperheadharle wrote:

Get a wireless outlet and remote from etekcity. I use them on both my X11 boxes to shut them off at night. Works great. The boxes will take a about 2 minutes to power back up.  I don't like wasting electricity and I hate Comcast trying to tell me that I need to keep my boxes on 24/7.

putting your x1 box into powersave mode saves one watt. one watt (assuming you leave the box off 24/7/365 would save you around $1.00 

based on that i just set the power LED to off in settings and never worry about it any more.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 52 of 65 (498 Views)

I would like to add my voice to the rest of us asking for the ability to turn off the X1 DVR using the remote.  I have a SONOS Playbar which also lacks the ability to be turned off, which results in the sound coming from the X1 DVR always being played on my playbar. The only way to have that stopped is to physically push the power button on the X1 DVR.

The fact that the SONOS lacks a power-off feature does not bother me. The SONOS is a passive device, playing whatever sound is being sent to it, but does not generate any sound itself.  Any device that is actively generating a signal (in this case the X1 DVR generating an image and sound) should have the ability to be turned off!!!

I just spoke with Comcast and they say this feature existed, but people were turning off their DVRs which prevented them from receiving software updates. Since I have to manually turn off the device anyway (so it doesn't play sounds 24/7 on my playbar), then software updates will be affected nonetheless. So what's the gain to Comcast? 

COMCAST: PLEASE re-enable (at least on a case-by-case basis) the ability for us to turn off the DVR using the remote!

Alternatively, a better design would've been to have the power off feature just cut off the sound and image, but still keep the DVR on to be able to receive software updates (I don't know whether their power saving feature does this - but if it does, they can re-program the code for power-off to activate the power-save feature instead)

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 53 of 65 (488 Views)

If you are open to spending a few $$$ there are easy ways to fix this... I have a SONOS Playbar and I have a much better solution.

HOWEVER, there is one very simple thing you can do before you press the ALL POWER or TV POWER buttons. Simply press the mute button first...

ruxacel wrote:

I would like to add my voice to the rest of us asking for the ability to turn off the X1 DVR using the remote.  I have a SONOS Playbar which also lacks the ability to be turned off, which results in the sound coming from the X1 DVR always being played on my playbar. The only way to have that stopped is to physically push the power button on the X1 DVR.

The fact that the SONOS lacks a power-off feature does not bother me. The SONOS is a passive device, playing whatever sound is being sent to it, but does not generate any sound itself.  Any device that is actively generating a signal (in this case the X1 DVR generating an image and sound) should have the ability to be turned off!!!

I just spoke with Comcast and they say this feature existed, but people were turning off their DVRs which prevented them from receiving software updates. Since I have to manually turn off the device anyway (so it doesn't play sounds 24/7 on my playbar), then software updates will be affected nonetheless. So what's the gain to Comcast? 

COMCAST: PLEASE re-enable (at least on a case-by-case basis) the ability for us to turn off the DVR using the remote!

Alternatively, a better design would've been to have the power off feature just cut off the sound and image, but still keep the DVR on to be able to receive software updates (I don't know whether their power saving feature does this - but if it does, they can re-program the code for power-off to activate the power-save feature instead)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 54 of 65 (474 Views)

Hi Rick.  Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's a workaround I thought about also, however it's not a proper "fix". The proper fix is to have the ability to turn off the X1 DVR, as one would expect of any device generating a signal. Don't you agree?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 55 of 65 (464 Views)

X1 is almost three years old now and Comcast has heard this concern many times before. If they were going to change it they would have done it by now.

They are not gonna change 10 million X1 boxes just to appease the handful of people that have a Playbar.

Check your private messages later tonight. I will email you how I fixed this.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 56 of 65 (434 Views)

ruxacel,

Please check your private messages...

ruxacel wrote:

Hi Rick.  Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's a workaround I thought about also, however it's not a proper "fix". The proper fix is to have the ability to turn off the X1 DVR, as one would expect of any device generating a signal. Don't you agree?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 57 of 65 (340 Views)

Anybody who honestly thinks that the box's power usage when on and when off is about the same is not correct.

All you have to do is put your hand on the box when it is On, and feel the heat generated. When the box is off, this heat is NOT generated. 

That amount of heat can NOT be attributed to just 10% of the power usage. If so, this gobbles up WAAAAAY more than 10 cents per month to keep on all the time. Energy =- heat. No energy = no heat. I'm not saying it is not using ANY power when off, but it is not about the same as when it is on. 

The light on my box is not green but a bright light blue beacon. And I do not like this beacon on at night. I do not need a multiwattage nightlight!! 

If I'd known the box is never meant to turn off, I would have NEVER gone to X1. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 58 of 65 (334 Views)

WeebleSue wrote:

Anybody who honestly thinks that the box's power usage when on and when off is about the same is not correct.

All you have to do is put your hand on the box when it is On, and feel the heat generated. When the box is off, this heat is NOT generated. 

That amount of heat can NOT be attributed to just 10% of the power usage. If so, this gobbles up WAAAAAY more than 10 cents per month to keep on all the time. Energy =- heat. No energy = no heat. I'm not saying it is not using ANY power when off, but it is not about the same as when it is on. 

The light on my box is not green but a bright light blue beacon. And I do not like this beacon on at night. I do not need a multiwattage nightlight!! 

If I'd known the box is never meant to turn off, I would have NEVER gone to X1. 

the devices are not 'off' they must be 'on' other than an LED power light and HDMI interface drivers. the Rest of the DVR circuitry is live to enable the comcast in the cloud scheduler to set up and record programs as they appear on the added future guide listings. The devices have posted their power "save" vs 'ON and the savings for a full 24/7/365 in power save as opposed to being on all the time is less than a $1 per year savings. you can put the devices on a power strip and turn off of course. the cloud recordings will still record and your set top box will play the cloud recordings.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 59 of 65 (308 Views)

Non-electronic people may not get this, but another good reason for no true "off" is that electronics will last longer if they are not power cycled endlessly. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 60 of 65 (230 Views)

So what happens if you are recording something at 2am when the box turns itself off and on?  That's crazy!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 61 of 65 (222 Views)

PattiM1 wrote:

So what happens if you are recording something at 2am when the box turns itself off and on?  That's crazy!

if the cloud DVR function is active for the account, the cloud DVR will record the full episode/recording and will play back on the home X1 equipment.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 62 of 65 (221 Views)

Just leave the box turned on. That is what X1 boxes are designed for.

If your X1 DVR reboots when recording you way or may not lose your recording. Do you have Cloud DVR enabled?

PattiM1 wrote:

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 63 of 65 (50 Views)

Not having an explicit off for an entertiainment center device is patently ridiculous. At the point in which more than one device in the chain deploys this logic, you have a system that doesn't turn off. The X1 box is literally hoping downstream objects will supplyment its inability to be turned off by ignoring it when they are turned off. When designing devices that live in a echosystem with other devices, best design principles insist that your product not defer critical autonomous functionality to other devices in the system.

Case in point - as provided above, Sonos deploys the same horrible logic. So now you have a T.V., a speaker and a reciever, all networked as peers, where two are ignorant of the user's request that they not broadcast. As a result, sound is broadcast from the not off X1 to the not off Sonos with no way for the user to put either device in an alternate state beyond physical intervention.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 64 of 65 (46 Views)

Another side effect of this short-sighted "feature"? The DVR will continue to play after you turn the system off.

So you're watching a show, become tired, and hit the off button. The show keep playing and you'll have to start the DVR from scratch and fast foward to find where you left off upon resuing.

My hack of a fix...

All of which should be unessecary.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 65 of 65 (27 Views)

As an X1 user and Sonos Playbar owner (I also have correctly programmed universal remotes) I found the solution to this issue to be quite easy. A 3rd party HDMI switch box with remote controlled power on/off easily solved this issue.