members

online now

discussions

All Power doesn't turn the X1 set top box off

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 68

I just had the X1 system installed and it appears to work well but when I went to turn everything off last night I pushed the "All Power" and it turned off my TV but not the set top box.  I can push the button on the X1 box and it goes off but can't get it to work from the X1 remote.  Is this normal, is there a possible setting I need to change?  Not sure I like it on all the time.

67 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 68

X1 is designed to remain on 24-7-365. It is working as it is designed.

bill659651 wrote:

I just had the X1 system installed and it appears to work well but when I went to turn everything off last night I pushed the "All Power" and it turned off my TV but not the set top box.  I can push the button on the X1 box and it goes off but can't get it to work from the X1 remote.  Is this normal, is there a possible setting I need to change?  Not sure I like it on all the time.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 68

bill659651 wrote:

Don't worry about it.  That's the way it works.  The X1 will power off and on every night around 2am to update the Guide and install new software.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 4 of 68

Bill,

It should be noted that X1 boxes use slightly more power when on. Most of todays cable boxes are still 90% on even when the power button is off.

bill659651 wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 68

This is the worse design ever.  Because if you have a receiver that controls the sound, even when the TV is off, the cable box is still connected to the receiver so you still get sound.  And since the XR2 remote can't control the receiver, other than the volume, then the whole system is moronic.  So now I have to use 3 remotes to turn off the TV, cable box, and receiver whereas before I could use the old Comcast remote and program all devices.  One step forward, two steps back.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 68

Anyone that has a TV, cable box and AV receiver should not be using the XR2 remote. An inexpensive 3rd party universal remote such as a Harmony 650 is a MUCH better solution.

plhoward wrote:

This is the worse design ever.  Because if you have a receiver that controls the sound, even when the TV is off, the cable box is still connected to the receiver so you still get sound.  And since the XR2 remote can't control the receiver, other than the volume, then the whole system is moronic.  So now I have to use 3 remotes to turn off the TV, cable box, and receiver whereas before I could use the old Comcast remote and program all devices.  One step forward, two steps back.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 68

RickGr4 wrote:

Anyone that has a TV, cable box and AV receiver should not be using the XR2 remote. An inexpensive 3rd party universal remote such as a Harmony 650 is a MUCH better solution.

plhoward wrote:

My XR2 works just fine with my Onkyo receiver, Pace X1, and Samsung 60" SmartTV.  The XR2 turns the TV and Onkno off and on.  The only thing the XR2 can't do is keep the source from changing to the TV rather than the X1.  I have to use the Onkyo remote to switch back to cable after turning the system on.  My wife has gotten used to using that extra remote once a day.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 68

RobertWy - That's interesting.  Do you know what code you used for your Onkyo receiver?

I have a Samsung 42" LED, Onkyo TX-SR606, and the XG1-P box. 

I tried using both the codes 30315 and 30842.  I can only control volume on Onkyo but turn TV on/off.  I don't care about changing sources on the receiver.  All I want to do is control volume and be able to turn on/off the Receiver and TV when hitting "All Power".

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 9 of 68

plhoward wrote:

My XR2 remote controls my Panny HDTV and Sony receiver - volume, mute, on/off.   Regarding the X1 cable box - that should be left on 24/7/365.  Nothing "moronic" about the system as far I'm concerned.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 68

manamok wrote:

plhoward wrote:

My XR2 remote controls my Panny HDTV and Sony receiver - volume, mute, on/off.   Regarding the X1 cable box - that should be left on 24/7/365.  Nothing "moronic" about the system as far I'm concerned.

Manamok - I completely agree.  If my system worked like that it wouldn't be moronic.  Hoping RobertWy can get back to me on the code he used for his Onkyo receiver to see if that does the same for me.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 68

RobertWy wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

plhoward wrote:

My XR2 works just fine with my Onkyo receiver, Pace X1, and Samsung 60" SmartTV.  The XR2 turns the TV and Onkno off and on.  The only thing the XR2 can't do is keep the source from changing to the TV rather than the X1.  I have to use the Onkyo remote to switch back to cable after turning the system on.  My wife has gotten used to using that extra remote once a day.

RobertWy, so this morning I went to use "All Power" and realized it turns my Onkyo receiver on, but it doesn't turn it off.  Very odd.  Would you happen to know why this is?  Per my other post I've used both codes 30135 an 30842.  If I can get that figured out then everything else works.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 12 of 68

plhoward wrote:

Manamok - I completely agree.  If my system worked like that it wouldn't be moronic.  Hoping RobertWy can get back to me on the code he used for his Onkyo receiver to see if that does the same for me.

If you Google "Onkyo Comcast remote codes" you'll see that many folks can use the remotes to turn them on but only those folks with programmable remotes can use them to turn the receiver off.  Rick's suggestion of a universal remote may be your only solution unless Robert can come with the magic number.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 13 of 68

plhoward - thanks for the kudo. Good luck in your search.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 14 of 68

I just posted this in another thread but I believe it applies here as well...

plhoward wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

plhoward wrote:

RobertWy, so this morning I went to use "All Power" and realized it turns my Onkyo receiver on, but it doesn't turn it off.  Very odd.  Would you happen to know why this is?  Per my other post I've used both codes 30135 an 30842.  If I can get that figured out then everything else works.

I believe I know why this is happening. Most newer AV receivers use discreet remote control commands for on and off. This means one command turns the AV receiver on but a different command turns it off. Older AV receivers used toggle commands which means the same remote command sends on then off.

I have come to the conclusion that the XR2 remote was not designed or programmed to handle discreet power commands. This means it will struggle controlling newer AV receivers. The XR2 will not control ANYTHING on my brand new Marantz receiver even though Marantz has not changed their remote codes for many years.

Those of you who want to get down to true one remote operation need to think about a 3rd party universal remote controls.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 68

plhoward wrote:

I didn't program my XR2 remote.  The installer did.  And I suspect he used the code for my Samsung LED SmartTV and not my Onkyo.  The way my home theater system is set up, if I turn on my TV, it turns on my Onkyo.  I think it is a DLNA (or something else) feature of the Onkyo.

Not much help, I know.  But try programming the X2 for your TV and see what happens.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 68

Thanks RobertWy.

I have a whole other issue now.  When I turn the TV and receiver off for the night and come back in the morning to turn things on (the settop box was left on) I get no signal at all.  This happened to me yesterday and the Comcast person told me I had to restart which I have to do again now.  I'm wondering if by turning off the receiver it's effecting the settop box.  Because I have all sources going into the receiver and one HDMI going to my TV.  Seems odd that I can't get a signal.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 17 of 68
Well.. I'm writing a letter to president Obama right now. This cable box is ridiculous.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 68

plhoward wrote:

Thanks RobertWy.

I have a whole other issue now.  When I turn the TV and receiver off for the night and come back in the morning to turn things on (the settop box was left on) I get no signal at all.  This happened to me yesterday and the Comcast person told me I had to restart which I have to do again now.  I'm wondering if by turning off the receiver it's effecting the settop box.  Because I have all sources going into the receiver and one HDMI going to my TV.  Seems odd that I can't get a signal.

That's never happened to me, AFAIK.  And I have everything running through an A/V receiver.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 19 of 68

Good luck with that. I have a feeling the President has a few more important things going on than dealing with how one particular Comcast X1 user feels about his X1 box. LOL LOL LOL

Eb_djwhoo2005 wrote:
Well.. I'm writing a letter to president Obama right now. This cable box is ridiculous.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 20 of 68

You are kidding right???????

Eb_djwhoo2005 wrote:

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 21 of 68

I'm sure President Obama will just drop everything he is doing and get right on this...

LOL LOL LOL

fpirelli wrote:

You are kidding right???????

Eb_djwhoo2005 wrote:

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 22 of 68

Eb_djwhoo2005 wrote:
Well.. I'm writing a letter to presidentObama right now. This cable box is ridiculous.

How can a cable box be ridiculous?  It's just a hunk of metal.  Now as far as cable box owners go - that's a whole different story...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 23 of 68

I have only had the X1 platform for about a week and found it odd that it wouldn't turn off so I unplugged it.  There have been SEVERAL reports by Georgia Power, WSBTV, and my favorite, Clark Howard who's Atlanta based regarding the amount of electricity the Comcast DVR type boxes use.  (If you're not in the Atlanta area, I am sure you can find Clark Howard online, he has a radio show as well)

All of the above agree that the DVR box and X1 box,  even when everything is in the off position, of course the X1 box doesn't really go off" uses as much energy as if it were on.

Georgia Power and another electic conservation group addressed the issue with Comcast and Comcast agreed to look into the matter and we have yet to get an update. This was reported again about a month or 2 ago for the 2nd time.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 24 of 68

A DVR uses more power than a fridge, freezer, washer, dryer or desktop computer? I find that HIGHLY unlikely. Care to post your specific facts?

I read a couple years ago that one particular Comcast cable box drew 37 watts on and 34 watts off. The difference between on and off is roughly the same as one night light. 37 watts is a fraction of what other appliances draw. I haven't done the math but I would guess that running a 1500 hair dryer for five minutes uses more power than a DVR does in a day.

I agree with Comcast's decision to leave X1 boxes on. The boot up time from dead off is far too long..Part of my job is programming universal remotes and we always program them to leave DVRs turned on 24-7. That's the same for cable and satellite DVRs.

mrobles38 wrote:

I have only had the X1 platform for about a week and found it odd that it wouldn't turn off so I unplugged it.  There have been SEVERAL reports by Georgia Power, WSBTV, and my favorite, Clark Howard who's Atlanta based regarding the amount of electricity the Comcast DVR type boxes use.  (If you're not in the Atlanta area, I am sure you can find Clark Howard online, he has a radio show as well)

All of the above agree that the DVR box and X1 box,  even when everything is in the off position, of course the X1 box doesn't really go off" uses as much energy as if it were on.

Georgia Power and another electic conservation group addressed the issue with Comcast and Comcast agreed to look into the matter and we have yet to get an update. This was reported again about a month or 2 ago for the 2nd time.

The second issue that Georgia Power and Clark Howard brought up was that the only other appliance or electrical item in your home that uses more electricity is your AC or HVAC system.  Their recommendation was to put it all on a power strip and unplug the power strip because even if your turn the power strip off, the DVR boxes will still use the same amount of electicity as if it were on.  That's pretty scary.  I had it set up with my old DVR and it DEFINATELY makes a difference on your electric bill. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 25 of 68

mrobles38 wrote:

The second issue that Georgia Power and Clark Howard brought up was that the only other appliance or electrical item in your home that uses more electricity is your AC or HVAC system.  Their recommendation was to put it all on a power strip and unplug the power strip because even if your turn the power strip off, the DVR boxes will still use the same amount of electicity as if it were on.  That's pretty scary.  I had it set up with my old DVR and it DEFINATELY makes a difference on your electric bill. 

Same story was just pushed out to local NBC affiliate and they ran with it....   they also included the caveat that CC stated they were looking into an update in the future to bring thepower draw even further...

FWIW, they stated in the article that newer DVR's in the STBY were only drawing 7 watts......

YMMV....

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 26 of 68

geek46 wrote:

mrobles38 wrote:

Same story was just pushed out to local NBC affiliate and they ran with it....   they also included the caveat that CC stated they were looking into an update in the future to bring thepower draw even further...

FWIW, they stated in the article that newer DVR's in the STBY were only drawing 7 watts......

YMMV....

How do we tell when a DVR is in standby?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 27 of 68

RobertWy wrote:

geek46 wrote:

mrobles38 wrote:

YMMV....

How do we tell when a DVR is in standby?

I don't know!!!  I don't have one!!!  <VBG>

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 28 of 68

I tried to see when my DVR went to stand by, I actually looked at the settings.  It didn't change when it was supposed to as per the settings option so I unpluged the power stip that holds all my TV equipment. 

I had Georgia Power come to my home this past week as my electric bill hit an all time high.  Their recommendation was to set my AC to a higher temp, although I have to be comfortable with it set alittle lower than they suggested.  The other thing he noticed was that I have 2 DVR's.  He asked me if I knew how much electricity a DVR used and asked if I wouldn't mind helping him do a quick unscientific test. 

It was interesting.  We watched the meter from the outside, we tracked the amount of electricity used in approx. 5 minutes.  Then he unplugged both DVR's from their power source.  We watched the meter again for about 5 minutes. 

I could not believe the difference.  It didn't appear to be that much for 5 minutes, however when we calculated if I were not home and unplugged them completely for an average of 12 hours day,  (I'm would have it unplugged aprroximately 12 hours a day, while I sleep and when I am at work)  the dollar amount I would save would be approximately $37.93 a month. 

We used my current bill that was for a total of $154.51 before taxes, after calculating the amount of kilowatts I would save, it would bring my bill before taxes to $116.58.  That's a pretty good saving, and I live alone. Can you imagine what you could save if you lived in a house with a family?   

We calculated that I could save an appproxiamately $37.73, a month on my electric bill, that's without taxes of course. 

Needless to say, I am completely unplugging them regularly going forward. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 29 of 68

I consider this to be a ridiculous fabrication if not an out and out lie. You clearly have some sort of agenda going on and you are willing to lie in an attempt to prove it.

The power supplies that came with my Arris X1 DVRs appear to be 40 watt power supplies which means at their peak they draw less power that a 60 watt light bulb and most laptop computers.

I have not done the math nor do I intend to but I have absolutely no doubt my three Arris DVRs are NOT adding $37 per month to my electric bill...

mrobles38 wrote:

I tried to see when my DVR went to stand by, I actually looked at the settings.  It didn't change when it was supposed to as per the settings option so I unpluged the power stip that holds all my TV equipment. 

I had Georgia Power come to my home this past week as my electric bill hit an all time high.  Their recommendation was to set my AC to a higher temp, although I have to be comfortable with it set alittle lower than they suggested.  The other thing he noticed was that I have 2 DVR's.  He asked me if I knew how much electricity a DVR used and asked if I wouldn't mind helping him do a quick unscientific test. 

It was interesting.  We watched the meter from the outside, we tracked the amount of electricity used in approx. 5 minutes.  Then he unplugged both DVR's from their power source.  We watched the meter again for about 5 minutes. 

I could not believe the difference.  It didn't appear to be that much for 5 minutes, however when we calculated if I were not home and unplugged them completely for an average of 12 hours day,  (I'm would have it unplugged aprroximately 12 hours a day, while I sleep and when I am at work)  the dollar amount I would save would be approximately $37.93 a month. 

We used my current bill that was for a total of $154.51 before taxes, after calculating the amount of kilowatts I would save, it would bring my bill before taxes to $116.58.  That's a pretty good saving, and I live alone. Can you imagine what you could save if you lived in a house with a family?   

We calculated that I could save an appproxiamately $37.73, a month on my electric bill, that's without taxes of course. 

Needless to say, I am completely unplugging them regularly going forward. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 30 of 68
At a average of .10/kWh, a single 60w incandescent light bulb will cost you $2.93/mo if left on for 16 hours a day....60w * 16 hours/day * 30.5 days/mo / 1000 = 29.28 kWh per month

So using the 60w incandescent light bulb example, which was using 29.28 kWh/mo.:

29.28 kWh * $0.10/kWh = $2.928/mo.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 31 of 68

Then it makes you wonder how many kWh a DVR uses?  The concerns that were brought up on news reports regarding the amount of electricity a DVR uses,  the second most amount of electricity, next to your AC concerned me enough to look into it.

That's when I called Georgia Power, and they confirmed that next to your air conditioner, the DVR uses 2 second most amount of electricity.  He also confirmed that as long as its plugged in, its using.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 32 of 68

Why would I waste my time creating this story.  Look it up,  it was also on an NBC new report.  If you have concerns about the info, you should contact NBC, WXIA, and Clark Howard for starters.  I'm sure they can get you copies of their news reports.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 33 of 68

Why would I waste my time creating this story.  Look it up,  it was also on an NBC new report.  If you have concerns about the info, you should contact NBC, WXIA, and Clark Howard for starters.  I'm sure they can get you copies of their news reports.  

I just reacted to what I saw on the news, WXIA and Clark Howard specifically, then the story ran on NBC, other people have posted that they've seen the same broadcast

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 34 of 68

I believe the set top boxes they were talking about in the news reports where older cables boxes. Not the ones that are being issued today. At least that is what they brought up on my local NBC affiliate when one of the achors brought up Comcast and X1. I've had X1 for four months now and our electric bills have not varied more than a dollar. We live in an area where we don't need/use A/C and our heat is gas so it would be easy to see a $38 hit to the bill. 

Also, the test you did was far from scientific. Refrigerators and other appliances turn on and off automatically. Are you sure that it was running or not running the same amount for the full 5 minutes?A better test would have been to unplug everything in the house for 5 minutes to make sure there was no power reading. Then to run only the DVR's for 5 minutes. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 35 of 68
I appreciate your thoughts. You're absolutely correct, the quick 5 minute test was by no means scientific. The electrician used what he called average, and considered the same amount of savings for 30 days. I know that my electrical use isn't the exact same for every 5 minutes for an entire month. There could be other variables that helped to save electricity. I know that the power strip helps. On that power strip is the DVR, blu ray player and stereo system. I appreciate your thoughts and help to realize that the test the electrician did was no way scientific, however the changes he recommended and the recommendation that the Comcast service guy made have definitely saved money on the electric bill.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 36 of 68
I was told last night by a tech it is supposed to stay on and around 330 AM it resets itself
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 37 of 68

mrobles38 wrote:
I appreciate your thoughts. You're absolutely correct, the quick 5 minute test was by no means scientific. The electrician used what he called average, and considered the same amount of savings for 30 days. I know that my electrical use isn't the exact same for every 5 minutes for an entire month. There could be other variables that helped to save electricity. I know that the power strip helps. On that power strip is the DVR, blu ray player and stereo system. I appreciate your thoughts and help to realize that the test the electrician did was no way scientific, however the changes he recommended and the recommendation that the Comcast service guy made have definitely saved money on the electric bill.

For your own peace-of-mind, I suggest you purchase a watt-meter, plug it into the DVR yourself, and READ the meter...   you do the math and examine your findings....    Seriously....   having a GEorigia Power lineman, tell you this is crazy....

I own a wide variety of testing gear, (amp catchers, watt meters, voltage analyzers )  and I am unconcerned about my DVR and its power usage....   in fact, I changed out my entire house to CFLs LONG before it was fashionable and am currently changing my long-term lights over to LED types now....    (CFLs will not show a significant savings on short-term use lighting )....

Would be interesting to see your resluts once you have determined them....( make sure Water Heater, A/C, oven, frig, microwave, fans ) NOT running when you perform this analysis....

Good luck!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 38 of 68

Laylahannabelle wrote:
I was told last night by a tech it is supposed to stay on and around 330 AM it resets itself

That is what my X1 DVR's do

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 39 of 68

ATTENTION   Anon908334 !!!!!!!!

Your post was removed due to a violation of the forum posing guidelines.

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

You can review the Forum's Posting Guidelines here:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/m-p/866289#U866289

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 40 of 68

This is obviously months later but I just got x1 and I have this same issue!! I press the power button and TV and sound system goes off, which is great because this is the first time I had a remote that worked both! However, pressing it again doesn't get me back to watching tv...just listening. The only way I can get the signal back is to turn the cable box off on the front panel and back on. If the remote doesn't turn off the cable box (per the other posts) why does this happen? Makes no sense! :-( 

Did I miss a resolution to this or have you found one since? Thx

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 41 of 68

The X1 boxes stay on 24/7.  Remember that the Guide is only for the next two weeks.  It needs to be updated nightly for the next day two weeks from now.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/set-top-box-energy-usage

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 42 of 68

I'm living with it..sometimes all on all off works (just the HD box & TV) & most of the time one or the other doesn't turn on /off & then it it's individual function on the remote & on or off..it's irritating or really irritating depending on my level of anger that day..The $7 a month increase on my bill in Jan 2016 trumps this inconvience.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 43 of 68
There is no way leaving cable boxes turned on added $7 to your bill. If anything it would have added about 0.25 cents at most.

You need to look elsewhere for your power bill increase....
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 44 of 68

Not what I was saying...no connection between rate increase & powering on or off with one button, I guess there's people who might think like that ?..I'm not concerned with the power(all on or off any more) I'm thinking more about  the rate increase this month & gave up on the powering on & off working properly a ways back...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 45 of 68

aybe your problem is you are not aiming your remote at your TV, or moving it before it turns on your TV.  Just because your remote is RF paired to the cable box, it still requires line-of-sight to the TV and/or sound system.  The remote isn't RF paired to the TV nor sound system. It is still sending an IR signal to the IR receiver on the TV and sound system.  I believe if you have a sound system and TV programmed into your remote, it sends the IR signal to the sound system first. I tried this on mine and moved the remote right after I saw the sound system coming on and my TV didn't turn on. Just like you said happened to you.

Not sure what turning the cable box off from the front panel has to do with the TV turning on.  That just reboots the cable box for me.  The bottom line is the cable box does NOT send a turn on signal to the TV nor sound system. The remote is sending an IR signal to the TV and sound system, and if it is not in the line-of-sight, then something might not turn on or off.

Do a test and aim your remote right in front of the TV IR receiver while the TV is powered on. Press the all power button. Does your TV go off? Next, repress the all power button while keeping the remote aimed at the TV IR receiver. Did the TV turn back on? If it did, then the problem is not the remote or cable box.  If it doesn't turn on, maybe the issue is the wrong TV code.

ohboy1 wrote:

This is obviously months later but I just got x1 and I have this same issue!! I press the power button and TV and sound system goes off, which is great because this is the first time I had a remote that worked both! However, pressing it again doesn't get me back to watching tv...just listening. The only way I can get the signal back is to turn the cable box off on the front panel and back on. If the remote doesn't turn off the cable box (per the other posts) why does this happen? Makes no sense! :-( 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 68

Thanks for your reply Howaboutthisone. 
Maybe I wasn't clear about what my issue is ... OR I could be misunderstanding your response.
The remote has been programmed to control the TV and sound system.  The remote does perform that function. It turns on and off and I can control the volume. The issue lies when I use the power button it seems to affect the signal to the cable box. Using the remote to turn off the tv and sound system, again, works flawlessly. When I use it to turn on them back on (seems to only be overnight), the cable box/dvr does not show a picture or both picture and sound are unavailable. I have to use the power button on the front of the box to turn off and then back on to restore the picture.
This does not happen if I only turn the tv off using the tv button on the remote as opposed to the power button on the remote.

Does this help a little more with what the issue is? If the remote isn't turning off the x1 device then what is happening overnight when the power button is used? 

Thanks 

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

aybe your problem is you are not aiming your remote at your TV, or moving it before it turns on your TV.  Just because your remote is RF paired to the cable box, it still requires line-of-sight to the TV and/or sound system.  The remote isn't RF paired to the TV nor sound system. It is still sending an IR signal to the IR receiver on the TV and sound system.  I believe if you have a sound system and TV programmed into your remote, it sends the IR signal to the sound system first. I tried this on mine and moved the remote right after I saw the sound system coming on and my TV didn't turn on. Just like you said happened to you.

Not sure what turning the cable box off from the front panel has to do with the TV turning on.  That just reboots the cable box for me.  The bottom line is the cable box does NOT send a turn on signal to the TV nor sound system. The remote is sending an IR signal to the TV and sound system, and if it is not in the line-of-sight, then something might not turn on or off.

Do a test and aim your remote right in front of the TV IR receiver while the TV is powered on. Press the all power button. Does your TV go off? Next, repress the all power button while keeping the remote aimed at the TV IR receiver. Did the TV turn back on? If it did, then the problem is not the remote or cable box.  If it doesn't turn on, maybe the issue is the wrong TV code.

ohboy1 wrote:

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 47 of 68

(didn't quote on purpose)

the power save is about one watt that is all. If it was on power save 24/7/365 you would save one watt/year which is $1 or less for the year. I simply turned off the power button led in the settings pages of the device and quit worrying about it.  We have been told that future boxes won't have clocks even. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 48 of 68

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 49 of 68

Posted by
Visitor

Message 50 of 68

Get a wireless outlet and remote from etekcity. I use them on both my X11 boxes to shut them off at night. Works great. The boxes will take a about 2 minutes to power back up.  I don't like wasting electricity and I hate Comcast trying to tell me that I need to keep my boxes on 24/7.