New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Alexa

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Alexa

Can I change the channel on the x1 box with elexa harmony or ifttt?

I can turn the tv on and off but that is all.

bob 130

Accepted Solution

Re: Alexa

Too many words.

"Alexa, channel 5" should be sufficient.

View answer in context
Service Expert

Bob130 wrote:

bob 130 

no discussion about it so far from Comcast employees. I have an echo and and a dot not sure it would be as good as the voice remote.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

I suspect it is coming. The big players in audio video control systems (such as Control4) already have Alexa drivers.

HOWEVER, I am not super familiar with Alexa but I doubt it would control a cable box such as X1 without additional 3rd party devices involved (because X1 boxes only receive IR commands from 3rd party devices).

A newer Harmony remote with a "Harmony Hub" would work (as long as everything is properly installed and programmed).

Bob130 wrote:

bob 130

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply rickgr4.
If anyone gets this to work please let me know.
Bob130
Gold Problem Solver

Please reread my post. I updated it.

FYI, I found answers with a simple and quick Google search. You might want to try it...

Bob130 wrote:
Thanks for your reply rickgr4.
If anyone gets this to work please let me know.
Bob130

New Poster

I hope Alexa support is added soon. To say "Third party apps can only control via IR" is false. My iPhone app can schedule recordings from anywhere. Granted, the APP is Comcast, but my iPhone could certainly be considered third party. Maybe Comcast could write an app or "Skill" for Alexa?
Frequent Visitor

Are you kidding?  Alexa would be much better than the X1 Remote.  For starters you don't have to hold it in your hands, and multiple people can use it

New Poster

I would be Very dissapointed in xfinity if they dont provide Alexa with an integration app. I have both now running two home automation system, internet <- >almond <-> alexa , would love for there to be integration, open my garage door with my voice and am removing all light sensors to phillips Hue and some Zigbee power toggle switches.

New Poster

There is research into an xfinity assistant like "alexa" "siri" or google that would integrate with all tv, internet and home security/automation. Dont know if other assistants will be asked to join the party but dont automatically say no because nobody would have thought with such a start that comcast and netflix would become friends on the x1 boxes.
Regular Visitor

A very recent article I read indicated that Amazon is courting several TV service providers to incorporate Alexa functionality into thier service.  It would allow a hands-free experience that would be much appreciated in households where the remote is often misplaced.  Dish already has it and I would hate to have to go back to them to be able to use this feature....

http://fortune.com/2017/06/08/amazon-cable-companies-alexa

Regular Contributor

It works great.  You need to get a Harmony Hub, the $99 one is the one I have.  You configure the hub via the app you install on your phone/tablet.  Enable the Harmony skill in Alexa, and you're good to go.

You can't fast forward or rewind, but you can pause/play and change channels.  Configure it to work with your AVR, and you can mute and adjust the volume, as well as control other functions of your AVR.

Pretty cool to say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on channel 5," and the TV changes to channel 5.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Too many words.

"Alexa, channel 5" should be sufficient.

Regular Visitor

I have the harmony hub and use that with IFTTF to turn my x 1 box on and off.
How did you get Alexa to do the other commands?
You can e-mail me ..edited to remove personal info. Thanks

Regular Contributor

Alexa doesn't control the cable box, though.  Perhaps sometime down the road it could happen that way.  Until then, all we can do is what is currently required, which is use a 3rd party hub.  Or just pick up the remote off the table and press the buttons ourselves.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

Bob130 wrote:
I have the harmony hub and use that with IFTTF to turn my x 1 box on and off.
How did you get Alexa to do the other commands?

You have to turn on the Harmony skill in Alexa.  There are 2 things within that skill that both need to be turned on as well.  I can turn my entertainment system on/off, change functions on my AVR, change the channel, adjust the volume, pause, and play via Alexa.  Can't rewind/fast forward, though.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

The harmony skill leaves a lot to be desired. It's unintuitive, and really I only use it to turn on my projector. I have both a television and a projector added as devices for my Harmony hub, and for whatever reason "Alexa, turn on my projector" works exactly the same as "Alexa, turn on my TV" - meaning both commands result in my projector firing up. "Alexa, ask Harmony to tune to channel 9", is a long, cumbersome sentence - especially when Alexa didn't hear me right the first time. IFTTT integration does work, but it could be so much, much better. Native X1 support without going through IFTTT would be much better. Harmony Hub would not be needed, as X1 equipment  can accept network commands through Comcast's network. I know this because the X1 remote app works without IFTTT. IMO, this will definitely happen. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your honest reply. I hope Alexa and Comcast will get together.
Regular Contributor

I don't really use it all that much, either.  It's just kind of a neat thing to have.  Just like it's kind of fun to have Alexa lock the front door, although I don't use that all that often, either.  Even if (when) Alexa and Comcast finally do sync up, it'll still be quicker to just pick up the remote off the table and press the buttons.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Some of us can't use the remote control because of paralysis, but thanks anyways for your insight

Regular Visitor

Feel free to continue to use yours as you do then.  This thread is really intended for people who want the Alexa integration and are really hoping it will come soon.  It is only easier to pick the remote if you can find it and if someone has not moved it across the room.  Some of us have disabilities that make getting up to track down the remote difficult and the voice capabilities would be a real help to us.

Regular Visitor

Great response, some people don't understand what it is like if you have challenges in life.
Regular Visitor

I just started this project the other day (alexa + harmony hub). It is mostly an effort to [hopefully] assist a disabled family member with some voice enabled media control. Respect to those with disabilities. Anything I can do to help make your life a little easier, is my pleasure.

It would be great if !! Comcast !! would just make a hands-free "keyword-activated" version of their nifty voice remote (perhaps a software toggle). That, in my mind.. would be the best option. .... and, what I'd really like to see/accomplish.

So far, I have managed to add to harmony, control with alexa:

Samsung tv (power, inputs, etc)

COMCAST X1 DVR (power, channels, pause, play, fast forward, rewind, etc).

Sonos (inputs, volume, etc)

Saying "alexa, turn on Xfinity" does the following:
Turns on the tv, changes the input to HDMI1, powers on the X1 DVR, sets Sonos play bar to tv speakers.
Saying "alexa, turn on discovery" does same as above + sets cable X1 DVR to channel 707.
Alexa, TV fast forward or rewind seems to work the DVD controls most of the time.
Sometimes Alexa seems to get confused what device I'm trying to control. If I say Alexa, turn on the TV, that usually drops her back in to control the tv channel, dvr, Sonos volume, etc mode.

So, things are going OK. But, I don't see the ability to ask for a movie, or any kind of search via voice commands working any time soon. At least no with this "rig".

Happy voice controlling. :-)
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation