Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Adding and Viewing Favorites

Valued Contributor

Adding and Viewing Favorites

Revised to include procedures for both old and new guide

You must have XRE Server Version: 1.37.05 01/22/2014 22:14 or later for the procedures below to work.  To check the version that you have, press Xfinity, select Settings (*) in the cross-bar, press OK and select About.

PROCEDURES FOR OLD GUIDE

There are two ways to get to the guide: 1) press Guide twice and 2) press Xfinity, select Guide in the cross-bar and press OK.

Add (Delete) a Favorite:

1.  Get to the Guide.

2.  Use the Up/Down arrows to get to the desired channel.

3.  Press the left arrow to select the channel number in the left column.

4.  Press Info, select Favorite (Fav Options) and press OK.

5.  Press the left arrow to get back to the Guide

6.  Repeat Steps 2-5 until you have added (deleted) all of the desired channels.

Viewing Favorites:

1.  Get to the Guide.

2.  Press the Yellow button to bring up the Filter list.

3.  Select Favorite and press OK to check it.

4.  Select OK and press OK to save the settings.

5.  The Guide will reflect the settings that you saved.

Note: HD, Premium and Favorites my all be selected at the same time.  If HD and Premium are selected, only HD, Premium Favorites will be displayed in the Guide.

PROCEDURES FOR NEW GUIDE

There are two ways to get to the guide: 1) press Guide once and 2) press Xfinity, select Guide in the cross-bar and press OK.

Add (Delete) a Favorite:
1. Get to the Guide.
2. Use the Up/Down arrows to get to the desired channel.
3. Press the left arrow to select the channel number in the left column.
4. Press OK, select Favorite (Remove Favorite) and press OK.
5. Press the Last button to get back to the Guide.
6. Repeat Steps 2-5 until you have added (deleted) all of the desired channels.

Viewing Favorites:
1. Press the Guide button twice.
2. Select Favorites and press OK.

Valued Contributor

Re: Adding and Viewing Favorites

XRE Server Version: 1.38.01 02/12 /2014 22:03 makes Favorites "stick".  By that I mean that after you have selected Favorites and pressed OK and then press Exit or Last to exit the Guide, each time that you press Guide again, the Favorites will come up.

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

You people are makeing your system to HARD for people to use. To remove a favorite step 29 .. with your back to the system bend over and ......... Come on. I just want to click on either the little heart or the MENU and be able to add or get rid of a channel.

New Poster

I agree with Grandpoobah.  It's a little cumbersome.  But what bothers me even more is that you can't have a couple of favorit lists i.e. Local Channels, Favorite Kids, Favorit reality, etc.  Now all these are grouped on one list.

Valued Contributor

jehill wrote:

XRE Server Version: 1.38.01 02/12 /2014 22:03 makes Favorites "stick".  By that I mean that after you have selected Favorites and pressed OK and then press Exit or Last to exit the Guide, each time that you press Guide again, the Favorites will come up.

XRE Server Version: 1.38.04 02/27/2014 15:53 makes the logic for bringing up Favorites a bit more complex.  First of all, the Favorites only "stick" for an undertermined length of time.  Also, the response when you press the Last button while in the guide depends on which of the following was  selected previously: All Channels, Favorites or nothing.  If Sports is selected now, All Channels  was selected previously and you press the Last button, the guide goes back to All Channels.   If Sports is selected now, Favorites was selected previously and you press the Last button, the guide goes back to Favorites.  If Sports is selected now, nothing was selected previously and you press the Last button, the guide is exited.

Valued Contributor

Use it or loose it!

jehill wrote:

XRE Server Version: 1.38.04 02/27/2014 15:53 makes the logic for bringing up Favorites a bit more complex.  First of all, the Favorites only "stick" for an undertermined length of time.

I have obtained more information on the "undertermined length of time" by a lot of experimentation.  It appears that as long as you check the guide within about 70 minutes of the last time, the Favorites will contunue to appear.  However, if you check 90 minutes after the last time, All Channels is likely to appear.  Hence, "Use it or loose it!", but really, its not that much trouble to slelect Favorites again.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Use it or loose it!

Hence, "Use it or loose it!", but really, its not that much trouble to slelect Favorites again.

Yes it is ... why bother to " set " something that isn't going to be there unless you come back each hour and say HI to it. That is just DUMB. It is just like not being able to reposition your list of favorites along with all .  I for one want MY LIST to come up when I push guide on the remote NOT All TV listings. Dish can do this why not comcast?

Regular Visitor

what a big pain in the a, finally figured out how to set favorites, then i could only have one list, but after having a list for 2 week, now they just disappared. What????????????

some great upgrades options for all tvs, but basic options went back to the stone ages

now it tells me when i post this message that i need my DVR version number. I signed on, and resigned on to get to this form page with my username and password, don't you know what i have?

Valued Contributor

hunterged wrote:

what a big pain in the a, finally figured out how to set favorites, then i could only have one list, but after having a list for 2 week, now they just disappared. What????????????
some great upgrades options for all tvs, but basic options went back to the stone ages
now it tells me when i post this message that i need my DVR version number. I signed on, and resigned on to get to this form page with my username and password, don't you know what i have?

I created my Favorites list weeks ago and it has never dissapeared.  Try rebooting the box by pressing the power button twice.  What asked you for your DVR version number?  As far as I know, all you have to do is sign on to the forum with your Comcast UID and password.  How would we know what have?  This is a Comcast support forum.  It has no links to your account information.
Valued Contributor

XRE Server Version: 1.39.03 03/14/2014 Update

The big news is the additon of an HD view to the new guide.  Also, the logic for highlighting the selected view appears to have been cleaned up as it always appears to work now.

Selecting Favorites or HD view intially:
2. Select Favorites or HD and press OK.

Selecting Favorites or HD view thereafter (up to ~ 70 minutes):

1. Press the Guide button.

Exiting the Guide:

1. Press the Exit button or,

2. Press the Last button until no more views appear.

Selecting other views while Favorites or HD view appears on screen:

1. Press the Guide button once.

2. Select another view and press OK

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 if you wish to select other views.

4. If desired, press the Last button to sequence back through the views.

New Poster

It seems like some broadcast channels stay on the favorite list indefinitely or at least a very long time.  On the other hand some of the movies from premium channels or even free movie selections seem to be deleted after a short time - usually they are not vailable from one day to the next- I could not determine exactly how long they remained on the favorites list.  Seems completely opposite to verizon which allows anything put into the favorites ( in their case bookmarks) to remain indefinitely.

Why can't COMCAST do the same??

New Poster

All of the instructions plus whent I went on Chat with several Agents they all said the same thing to move the cursor to the left and hit info and the favorite box will come up.  I did that over and over again until accidentally I hit OK instead of info and lo and behold the favorite box finally came up.  So simple but why didn't anyone know that. Do I have some kind of glitch in my remote?  All I know it was very frustrating for all parties and hopefully this will help someone else that is experiencing the same thing.

Valued Contributor

No.  If you go back and look at my original post, you will see that I have two sets of instructions, one for the old (current) guide and one for the new guide.  They gave you instructions for the old guide.  They didn't work because you have the new guide.

New Poster

Too bad one of the many agents I chatted with didn't know that.
Regular Visitor

well my favorites lasted 17 days since my last post. Still not sure why they are going away? Are updates and patches deleting them? This time i started to add favorite channels and i got an error, that i can't add this channel at this time, try again later, did this on several channels. Restarted system, then it worked?

Any one else having same issue, and found a fix?

Valued Contributor

My Favorites have been undisturbed by the updates.  Yours is the only post that I recall where the Favorites were lost.  Your last post is the first that I have seen where there was a problem entering the Favortites and it was corrected by restarting.  By "restarting" do you mean pressing the power button twice with say a 30 second delay between presses or removing the power cord for say 30 seconds and plugging it back in?  The latter is what is referred to as "power cycling" and is more complete.  All that you can do is wait and see if the problem occurs again.  If it does, I would consider getting the box replaced by Comcast.

Valued Contributor

XRE Server Version: 1.40.03 04/16/2014 Update

The significant changes are that 1) all guide views stick, not just HD and Favorites and 2) they stick for 90 minutes instead of 70 minutes.

Selecting view intially:
2. Select the view desired and press OK.

Selecting view thereafter (up to ~ 90 minutes):

1. Press the Guide button.

Exiting the Guide:

1. Press the Exit button or,

2. Press the Last button until no more views appear.

Selecting other views while selected view appears on screen:

1. Press the Guide button once.

2. Select another view and press OK

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 if you wish to select other views.

4. If desired, press the Last button to sequence back through the views.

Note: The last view selected using the view menu is the one that sticks.  Selecting another view with the last button does not.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a way with Comcast, like there is with Directv guides, to just choose "the channels I get" vs. going through ALL the channels and list favorites?  I don't have the highest package and it's annoying to still have to go through all the channels in the guide and look at my paper guide to see what I even get.

Is there an easier way to view just the channels in my package?

This service is overall so inferior to Directv, it's almost maddening.  The DVR features are time-consuming, too...like just to delete a recording at the end of it takes quite a few steps!

Service Expert

SImple answer:  No.

Aim14 wrote:

Is there a way with Comcast, like there is with Directv guides, to just choose "the channels I get" vs. going through ALL the channels and list favorites?  I don't have the highest package and it's annoying to still have to go through all the channels in the guide and look at my paper guide to see what I even get.

Is there an easier way to view just the channels in my package?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

@aim14 look there is allot of things they are looking at adding to the system . i think right now they are working on getting the system to work period . not sure how long you have had your x1 but i got mine about 5 months ago and the product they have now is much better than what i had then. IT WILL GET BETTER with time. the most constructive thing you can do is send a request not a demand. i am sure that they data mine every word that is posted on this site and look for what most people are asking for. they will work on the things more people are asking for first. as i said before more people right now want the system to stop crashing period.

Valued Contributor

Comcast has never had a feature that allowed you to select the channels that will appear when you channel surf.  That's what you are looking for, right!

Frequent Visitor

ugh, yes, I just want the "channels I get" like with Directv.  Annoying!

Service Expert

Aim14 wrote:

ugh, yes, I just want the "channels I get" like with Directv.  Annoying!

I called Comcast about the Spanish channels and they said those channels were included with my Triple Play and I wasn't paying any extra for them, so there wasn't any way they could "unconnect" them from my account. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I feel your pain.

We switched mainly due to the Internet Speed.  Happy with that.

Coming from DirectTV, WE were happier with their Channel Programing Setup.

Why can't at the age of touchpad and iPads and smartphones, can't all the channels have a checked box when selected as unwanted channels?

Why can't we come to a menu where all the channels have a box to place a check, whether they are our Favorite or Unwanted Channels?

Why can't Xfinity catagorized all "shopping channels," "sports channels", "religious channels" , etc so we can easier sort what channels we want to keep or not?

Very hard to recommend to other folks to switch to Xfinity when its this hard to program your Channels.

Suggest, having to create Profiles also, so each member  (up to three members/profiles) can create their own Favorite Channels.  I don't need to go thru 100+ channels of my wife's Favorite Shopping Channels, or kid's Favorite Kid Channels.

Very hard to recommend, Xfinity, very hard indeed.

Valued Contributor

Ray, have you tried the on-line guide? I believe it can do most of what you want to do. Best of all you can use it from you tablet. I use my tablet to control my TV using the on-line guide instead of a remote. Works well if you don't mind using a tablet or laptop. You can change channels, set recordings, etc. Just about anything that you can do from the TV remote. 

New Poster

Kudos to your post Grandpoobah. I switched recently from Dish to Comcast and I'm noticing a few things that Dish could do that apparently Comcast can't do. Like choosing your Favorites on the guide and that's what it stays on until you change it. Also, when you have Favorites selected within the guide and you exit out and then start surfing channels, it goes right back to stopping on All Channels, it won't recognize the Favorites list at all when channel surfing. 

Problem Solver

tammimoore3603 wrote:

Kudos to your post Grandpoobah. I switched recently from Dish to Comcast and I'm noticing a few things that Dish could do that apparently Comcast can't do. Like choosing your Favorites on the guide and that's what it stays on until you change it. Also, when you have Favorites selected within the guide and you exit out and then start surfing channels, it goes right back to stopping on All Channels, it won't recognize the Favorites list at all when channel surfing. 

only last 90 minutes.

Valued Contributor

gotpizza wrote:

tammimoore3603 wrote:

only last 90 minutes.

What does this discussion have to do with the topic?  People that visit this forum do not do so to hear about Dish or any other service provider other than Comcast.  So please, stop discussing Dish!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the kudo gotpizza!

Problem Solver

jehill wrote:

Thanks for the kudo gotpizza!

Your welcome.....Don't you love it new x1 people create multiple user names and bash Comcast....

Frequent Visitor

Something I have come to understand is .. At the top and the Bottom of the hour the "system" refreshes to give up to date and time listings. IF YOU are looking at favorites you have programed into your box at that time ...  WHY WOULD ANYONE  want to check out what else was on when a program had just ended. This is starting to feel like something from MY COUSIN VINNY .  At the same time the entire system updates and blows off where you are and puts all off your favorites pointing to the " HOME PAGE " so it looks like they are "gone" but no just hiding punch your little favorites button on the remote and you can cycle back around to where you want to be. Looking at your favorites.

Understand it  .... YES

Like it ................ NO

Can Change it .... ONLY Mr. Comcast can and it might mean getting new boxes out to everyone.

So now lets open a new topic of why I can not talk to my DVR in the living room from the little box that is part of the whole house system to record or deleate programs ......BUT I CAN IF I WALK DOWN THE HALL AND USE MY COMPUTER ... or If I'm in Seattle and use my laptop ... What good is the extra charge for the little box if it won't work better than a payphone.  Someone pick a title and lets start talking about this.

Valued Contributor

Feel free to open as many new topics as you wisht, but please don't try to take over this topic.  My purpose with this topic is simply to explain how to use what's available and provide as much insight into how it works as I can.

Contributor

I just got my X1 box so I could record more than 2 programs at a time.  What I lost in the switch is making me wonder if it was worth it, and that has to do with favorites.  On my old box, I could set my favorites list, then just surf through them, one click advancing me one favorite channel. Not any more.  That sucks.  And (off topic) no longer can I skip commercials one at a time with a skip forward button. 

New Poster

I had that feature on my U-Verse box where the box would know you were looking at your favorites and everything would be tied to it.  U-verse would also let you essentially set up a permanent favorites list, unlike the X1's semi-permanent one that you have to reselect every couple of hours. 

New Poster

Seriously? Do y'all live in the dark ages? Adding 5,000 channels and all kinds of fancy techno-art, but take away different favorites list defined by the user. That is really short sighted. Fix it please.

Tags (1)
Service Expert

msburke52 wrote:

Seriously? Do y'all live in the dark ages? Adding 5,000 channels and all kinds of fancy techno-art, but take away different favorites list defined by the user. That is really short sighted. Fix it please.

last weekend the favorites became unavailable. This morning it was there but no entries. entered one to test and it has stayed there all day. Perhaps it is fixed now.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Due to no activity, post is closing.  Please feel free to start a new topic for your issue.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats