Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Accessibility: Just got harder to toggle closed-captioning on and off

Frequent Visitor

Accessibility: Just got harder to toggle closed-captioning on and off

When I updated to the X1 platform, I was delighted to discover that I no longer had to go through a complicated process to turn closed captioning on or off. I could now use the down arrow on my remote (under the OK button) and with ONE CLICk toggle closed captioning on or off. I did this often as I need to use closed captioning while I am watching a show, but I need to turn it off when I want to go into the guide...the captions interfere with being able to read listings/program descriptions.

As of a few days ago, when I press the down arrow, it always defaults to the PAUSE option, soi I have to left arrow twice to select the CC toggle option. This is a step back in convenience, plus I keep accidentally pausing a show when that was not my intent.

Both this change and the change that removed the picture-in-picture (PIP) with the B shortcut button PENALIZE those of us who need accessibility assistance. The alternatives we are told are just as good for PIP (right arrow) are NOT acceptable alternatives for someone who needs the larger print I can get when I read listings via the grid guide. Plus, we recently lost the ability to set recordings within the Xfinity Stream app--which means we need to spend more time moving around the guide on our TV screen to set recordings--so loss of the PIP while in grid guide mode is an even greater loss now.

Please...at least roll back the change that makes the down arrow button automatically default to the PAUSE setting...before, it automatically went to whatever my last selection on that screen was, which meant I could toggle closed captioning on-off with just two touches of the remote--which I did several times each day.

Hope I have not been confusing in my explanations. Please think about life from the perspective of people who need accessibility support before making changes that are a step back!

Official Employee

Re: Accessibility: Just got harder to toggle closed-captioning on and off

BiggJ, thanks for posting here. We appreciate your feedback. I will pass this along to my leadership. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Kudos to you! I agree.

Changing the down arrow in that manner was also very unnecessary in that there are seperate buttons on the remote for replay (Back / Pause / Forward). I also turn CC on and off several times a day and also at the end of the day to be considerate to the other members of my family who do not have hearing problems.

Official Employee

Press the B button and Ok, gets you to CC

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation