New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

ANSWERED
New Poster

When will I be able to watch TV in 4K?? 

Accepted Solution

Re: 4K

Nothing concerning 4K TV has been announced, presently 4K is only available with a 4K dvr and a Netflix 4K subscription.
View answer in context
Official Employee

Nothing concerning 4K TV has been announced, presently 4K is only available with a 4K dvr and a Netflix 4K subscription.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Netflix streams select shows in Dolby Vision and / or with Dolby Atmos audio.

Are these formats supported by the XG1v4 (currently or possibly in a future firmware) or can those only get accessed through a compatible TV app?

Currently it appears as if the only benefits over the old X1 box are a larger HDD and finally working CEC.

The forced upscaling of all TV content to the output resolution specified in settings seems a mixed blessing and the fact that the device doesn't get the max resolution and color depth automatically from the connected A/V-receiver or TV but has to be set manually is not what I'd call "up-to-date technology".

Tags (1)
Service Expert

wrote:

Are these formats supported by the XG1v4 (currently or possibly in a future firmware) or can those only get accessed through a compatible TV app?

It isn't supported now and there is no way for us to know what Comcast is planning.

Currently it appears as if the only benefits over the old X1 box are a larger HDD and finally working CEC.

The forced upscaling of all TV content to the output resolution specified in settings seems a mixed blessing and the fact that the device doesn't get the max resolution and color depth automatically from the connected A/V-receiver or TV but has to be set manually is not what I'd call "up-to-date technology".

OTA television is what we get with X1 and it is not "up-to-date".

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

If you own a good 4K Smart television, and have enough broad-band, You can find what you want on You Tube, and other sources mentioned in the past.

There are also good free apps available to view Blu-ray quality (1080p) programming: NBC app, Redbull app, etc. I just loaded the Redbull app this morning and found the Crashed Ice races that just played live this weekend here in the Twin Cities (viewed in Blu-ray quality). I find plenty to keep me happy while waiting for 4K to eventually come along in the future.

Service Expert

wrote:

wrote:

If you own a good 4K Smart television, and have enough broad-band, You can find what you want on You Tube, and other sources mentioned in the past.

There are also good free apps available to view Blu-ray quality (1080p) programming: NBC app, Redbull app, etc. I just loaded the Redbull app this morning and found the Crashed Ice races that just played live this weekend here in the Twin Cities (viewed in Blu-ray quality). I find plenty to keep me happy while waiting for 4K to eventually come along in the future.

I have run into the 1TB data linit with my streaming.  If I want to continue, I will have to pay extra for the unlimited data plan.  Or maybe I could try cellular streaming (not).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I have run into the 1TB data linit with my streaming.  If I want to continue, I will have to pay extra for the unlimited data plan.  Or maybe I could try cellular streaming (not).

I am still unlimited with my DSL service for my 4K or 1080p steaming, Robert.

Although; this is just another "monkey-wrench" being thrown in to using 4K over broad-band internet. The increasing volume of people trying to view 4K programing is going to be set back somewhat if the providers don't invest on equipment to keep up with demand.

Service Expert

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I am still unlimited with my DSL service for my 4K or 1080p steaming, Robert.

Although; this is just another "monkey-wrench" being thrown in to using 4K over broad-band internet. The increasing volume of people trying to view 4K programing is going to be set back somewhat if the providers don't invest on equipment to keep up with demand.

Imagine what will happen when 8k is the next standard (sooner than we thin\k?)

DSL instead of Comcast Internet.  Makes me wonder what Comcast market you live in.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation