Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

4K UHD

Frequent Visitor

4K UHD

When will the new box for 4K UHD be available? All data I can find just say's this year.

New Poster

UHD TV 4K Samsung 9000 series

How do I set newly installed X1 Box to  2160p ???  now only goes to 1080p

Silver Problem Solver

Re: UHD TV 4K Samsung 9000 series

There are no 4K cable boxes yet. Max is 1080.I don't think there's any 4K content out there anyway so it would just be upscaling anyway, so it wouldn't really be a true 4K image.

Gold Problem Solver

Try going into the Netflix built into your Smart Hub. Netflix is apparently testing 4K at the moment but I have no idea how to access it.

bnsjls wrote:

How do I set newly installed X1 Box to  2160p ???  now only goes to 1080p

Service Expert

I don't see any need to buy a 4K set until there is content out that I can watch.  I suspect it will be years before there is any 4K OTA channels.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

4k service

Comast has announced the new xi4 box which should provide 4k programming.

What are the specificiation requirements for it to work?

Will they provide a list of tv brand name and models which work?

When will it be available in the Denver area? 

Service Expert

Re: 4k service

marvos wrote:

FYI-

The Xi3 box hasn't even made it nationally yet....   The Xi4 just being announced usually means a year or more before "limited" release..... much longer for broader release...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I spoke to Comcast and they were saying Q2 or Q3 release. They have already announced xi5- a 4k box to be released in 2016.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast rarely provides dates on these sort of things. In the past when they have provides dates, they haven't been accurate. As Raymond said, the Xi3 isn't available nationally yet. I live in the Twin Cities and we have neither Xi3s or Cloud DVR. FYI they still haven't fully solved resolution problems with X1 DVRs even though that was promised months ago.

Comcast has never published "requirements" for X1 even though a handful of forum members have begged for them. HIGHLY unlikely they will provide any "lists" however in this case I don't think that is Comcast's job.

Anyone you talked to from Comcast (on the phone or in a retail location) is guessing. Techs RARELY have access to this sort of information.

Like it or not, your best source of information on this sort of thing is this forum. A few of the Comcast employees that hang out is this forum may have answers to your questions but they are a very tight lipped bunch and they won't say anything until Comcast is ready to make the information public.

I can see you are new to this forum. You will learn VERY quickly how tight lipped Comcast can be about the type of information you are looking for.

marvos wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

marvos wrote:

Any 4K tv hooked up with a 4K HDMI wire to a 4K cable box should work.

New Poster

They are saying Q2 or Q3 release. They have already announced xi5- a 4k box to be released in 2016.

Gold Problem Solver

Marvos,

You have a great deal to learn about Comcast and their "timelines"... Seriously, please spend more time reading in this forum.

Announcements can be meaningless. Sometimes companies make "announcements" to try to steal thunder from their competitors. Bob Carver of Carver Corp. and Sunfire fame was FAMOUS for this. DirecTV appears to be ahead of Comcast with 4K service.

How do you know that Comcast would not make announcements like that in an effort to string along tech heads so they don't leave for another provider.

4K will come when it comes and you will probably hear about it in this forum first.

I haven't noticed any Comcast employees rushing to chime in here with any ground breaking information............

marvos wrote:

They are saying Q2 or Q3 release. They have already announced xi5- a 4k box to be released in 2016.

Service Expert

marvos wrote:

The current 4k implementation is for specific Samsung TV's right now.  No telling what the Xi4 specs will be.

Here is some reading about current 4k:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

As Raymond said, the Xi3 isn't available nationally yet. I live in the Twin Cities and we have neither Xi3s.

Rick an FYI to you or anyone else up in the Twin Cities region ( except Manitowoc) the Xi3 is available as of 6/3

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Thanks Andrew. That is good to know. However Manitowoc is in Eastern Wisconsin and over 300 miles from me.... LOL

ComcastAndrew wrote:
As Raymond said, the Xi3 isn't available nationally yet. I live in the Twin Cities and we have neither Xi3s.

Rick an FYI to you or anyone else up in the Twin Cities region ( except Manitowoc) the Xi3 is available as of 6/3

Official Employee

I know just covering myself lol

Re:4K until something is officially announced you probably won't see any employee comment

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

4K Tv

I would like to know when 4K programming will come for ALL 4K Tv's , not just Samsung. I have a non-samsung 4K Tv and if there is some way to get on a "waitlist" or test list for this service I'd...

Service Expert

Re: 4K Tv

You will know when we know.  Subscribe to this blog:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Tv

Netflix Hulu and Amazon have 4K programming now. I do not know DIRECT TVs plans.

Comcast announced 4K boxes a few months ago but they provided no dates. I suspect it will be well into next year.
Problem Solver

Re: 4K UHD

myers-jim wrote:

When will the new box for 4K UHD be available? All data I can find just say's this year.

Unfortunately we know just as much as you do.. Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

To believe the staff responding to our concerns knows only as much as we do is very alarming.  Are you sure that's what you meant us to believe?

Gold Problem Solver

jim,

This forum is primarily a user to user forum. scjohnson is a Comcast customer just like you and me. Comcast employees posting in this forum have red letter user names.

Comcast has not made any public announcements directly dealing with 4K UHD service. Comcast employees are not allowed to discuss upcoming developments until a public announcement has been made. Like most large companies in the USA (including the company I work for) they are sworn to secrecy.

So, scjohnson's answer was accurate. Comcast hasn't said. We don't know. Comcast employees aren't going to discuss it going to discuss it in this forum. Anyone that might choose to discuss it would be guessing at this point.

You are going to need to accept that answer and wait just like the rest of us because it is the only answer we have.

myers-jim wrote:

To believe the staff responding to our concerns knows only as much as we do is very alarming.  Are you sure that's what you meant us to believe?

Service Expert

myers-jim wrote:

I'm not sure that observation is correct.

The "staff responding to our concerns" may not be allowed by Comcast to divulge information that is not ready to be discussed in an open forum like this one.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I've apparently missunderstood and my humble apologies.  However Comcast DOES have info available on 4K.  They have linked limited programing to those with the 2014 Samsung UHD models.  Owners of those can d/l the link to stream an no additional charge.  Hoever it is limited to the 2014 models only and not the majority now with the 2015 models.

I have watched some shows on Netflix in 4K (as well as you tube) but their content is limited as well.  Also wondering how much I can watch before tripping the evil 'data' trigger.

Service Expert

And all those who purchased 4K models that are NOT on the list are waiting with baited breath for Comcast to make a public announcement when those models will be supported.

And we will hear about it probably about the same time of the public announcement.

I meant no disrespect.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

It is my understanding that the conversion to mpeg4 and beyond will allow regular x1 set top box streaming of uhd 4K in same data rate as current mpeg2 streams. I'm not sure that a new set top box is needed or may be required. Isn't the app on samsung a workaround at this time for carrying that 4k video?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

I watch a fair amount of Netflix and to my knowledge I have not come close to pinging the cap.

We are aware of the 2014 Samsung 4K trial. Honestly it was so limited and so poorly handled that it was not worth discussing.

From everything we have heard, X1 boxes are capable of 4K UHD. So are some of the last generation legacy boxes such as DCX-3501.

Currently, when I go into the diagnostic screens on my X1 boxes, they always report they are using MPEG-4. Personally, I think the picture looks slightly "cleaner"...

jim, keep your eyes on this forum for any news about Comcast and 4K news. This forumis one of the first places any new information will get posted.

myers-jim wrote:

I've apparently missunderstood and my humble apologies.  However Comcast DOES have info available on 4K.  They have linked limited programing to those with the 2014 Samsung UHD models.  Owners of those can d/l the link to stream an no additional charge.  Hoever it is limited to the 2014 models only and not the majority now with the 2015 models.

I have watched some shows on Netflix in 4K (as well as you tube) but their content is limited as well.  Also wondering how much I can watch before tripping the evil 'data' trigger.

Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

I watch a fair amount of Netflix and to my knowledge I have not come close to pinging the cap.

We are aware of the 2014 Samsung 4K trial. Honestly it was so limited and so poorly handled that it was not worth discussing.

From everything we have heard, X1 boxes are capable of 4K UHD. So are some of the last generation legacy boxes such as DCX-3501.

Currently, when I go into the diagnostic screens on my X1 boxes, they always report they are using MPEG-4. Personally, I think the picture looks slightly "cleaner"...

jim, keep your eyes on this forum for any news about Comcast and 4K news. This forumis one of the first places any new information will get posted.

myers-jim wrote:

No, absolutely no current boxes will handle 4K. They don't have an HEVC decoder nor an HDMI 2.0 output. The Xi4 will be the first box to output 4K.

Heck, 4K video encoded in MPEG-4 wouldn't even reasonably fit in a QAM! HEVC support will be necessary.

Frequent Visitor

I started watching Lawrence of Arabia (will resume tomorrow) remastered in 4K this evening.  Except for the sound of yesterday (which wasn't bad considering) the picture quality of the old style cinematic film was excellent.  It's a remastered version on Netflix if anyone is interested.  It doesn't show on the 1st 4K bar, you just have to scroll down to the classic films or enter it's name into the search bar.

New Poster

do I need a samsung brand smart tv to receive 4K content?

Service Expert

2014 Samsung - specific models

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So Comcast only wants customers with Samsung TV's?  

Service Expert

Massbouy wrote:

So Comcast only wants customers with Samsung TV's?  

No.  They are testing it with a few 2014 sets only.

That sure doesn't sound like they are catering to Samsung.

And with millions of X1 installs, would they be as stupid as Volkswagen?

(Never mind, I never thought a company could be THAT stupid.)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Well we can get some content from YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon.  Yet Comcast is still in the testing stage.  We have to pay $20 per month  for Amazon and Netflix combined, Comcast might consider giving us credits for that amount?  Seems like nothing compared to what VW will pay in fines.  I wonder if VW executives will repay the bonuses they received by cheating?

But I digress... 

Frequent Visitor

Ultra High Definition

When will I be able to get the Xi4 UHD set top box and will it use regular HDMI cables or something different. 

Official Employee

Re: Ultra High Definition

kirshbaum1 wrote:

When will I be able to get the Xi4 UHD set top box and will it use regular HDMI cables or something different. 

Nothing's been announced yet. Right now UHD is only available on a sampler app on select Samsung TVs

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

4K Resolution

I have been told that buying a tv with 4K resolution would be of no benefit to me as long as I have Comcast as my provider.  Is that correct?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K Resolution

There is very little 4K programming from any provider.

New Poster

4k Content

Do Comcast support Sony 4k tv yet?

Service Expert

Re: 4k Content

No.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-smart-tv

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

just had the following chat with customer support... we'll see if this is true or not...

Live Chat

• NEAL
  • 8:21PM
My Issue: I need to get a 4k cable box sent to me
user NEAL has entered room
analyst Reya has entered room
  • Reya
Hello NEAL_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Reya. Please give me one moment to review your information.
  • Reya
My pleasure to have you on this chat! Please allow me to assist you with your concern for today. Hope you're doing fine.
  • NEAL
i'm not sure if you guys are sending out the xi4 boxes that are 4k capable yet but i need to get one if you are
  • Reya
  • 8:22PM
I understand that you want to get a 4k cable box.
  • NEAL
  • 8:23PM
yes I have the x1 platform now but need a 4k capable one for my new tv
  • Reya
  • 8:24PM
Thank you.
  • Reya
Let me look into your account so we can check. Rest assured that I will do everything I can to help you with this.
  • Reya
  • 8:25PM
Please give me 2-3 minutes to access the account.
  • NEAL
  • 8:25PM
ok
  • Reya
  • 8:27PM
Thank you for waiting.
  • NEAL
  • 8:28PM
yep
  • Reya
I check it, this 4k cable box is not available as of the moment.
  • Reya
It will be availble by December.
  • NEAL
  • 8:29PM
ok any word on an actual date in dec?
  • Reya
  • 8:30PM
We do not have estimated date yet.
  • NEAL
ok but you're pretty sure it'll be december?
  • Reya
  • 8:31PM
Yes, that is correct.
  • NEAL
ok thank you
  • Reya
You can also check with our local office.
  • Reya
You're very welcome, it's my pleasure to help!
  • Reya
  • 8:32PM
Thanks for checking.
  • Reya
It has been a pleasure to serve you today. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
  • NEAL
Service Expert

nrs83 wrote:

just had the following chat with customer support... we'll see if this is true or not...

<snipped>

Comcast has historically "missed" start-up dates for features on the X1 platform...  I would not hold this month to be true until an official annoucement has been made.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Valued Contributor

nrs83 wrote:

Live Chat

• NEAL
My Issue: I need to get a 4k cable box sent to me

My pleasure to have you on this chat! Please allow me to assist you with your concern for today. Hope you're doing fine.
  • NEAL
i'm not sure if you guys are sending out the xi4 boxes that are 4k capable yet but i need to get one if you are
  • Reya
  • 8:22PM
I understand that you want to get a 4k cable box.
  • NEAL
  • 8:23PM
yes I have the x1 platform now but need a 4k capable one for my new tv
  • Reya
:
:
I check it, this 4k cable box is not available as of the moment.
  • Reya
It will be availble by December.
  • NEAL
  • 8:29PM
ok any word on an actual date in dec?
  • Reya
We do not have estimated date yet.
  • NEAL
ok but you're pretty sure it'll be december?
  • Reya
Yes, that is correct.
  • NEAL

According to this recent FierceCable article on the upcoming "Xi6" box http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcast-prepping-hdr-capable-xi6-set-top-2016/2015-10-27 , Matthew Strauss, EVP and GM of Comcast video services, stated that "the [4K-capable] Xi4 is currently being tested by Comcast employees, and remains on schedule for wide deployment in the next few months."

New Poster

4k box

I read that comcast is coming out with a 4k box. Is this true and if so when?

New Poster

4K content

. Where do I acces it on xfinity?  4K. 

Problem Solver

Re: 4K content

There is no 4K content currently on xfinity. They are working on a 4K box that is rumored to be out after the first of the year. The only 4K content is likely only going to limited PPV and on demand for a long time.Smiley Happy

New Poster

4X UHD SIGNAL

I'm looking to buy a new TV , does XFINITY support a 4X UHD TV ?

New Poster

So, what's the latest on 4K broadcasts?

I have a Sony XBR-65X930C UHD 4K HDR TV that I'm really enjoying.  I currently have DirecTV, but I'm thinking of switching to Xfinity.  I can record 5 shows at once, while watching live TV, with DirecTV, and I know they put up a 4K satellite this year.

Is Xfinity going to flip the switch for 4K broadcasts or not?  I am interested in the Xi5 receiver I've heard about that will bring HDR to their 4K.  When?  WHen?  WHEn?  WHEN?

Official Employee

Re: So, what's the latest on 4K broadcasts?

dvbell wrote:

I have a Sony XBR-65X930C UHD 4K HDR TV that I'm really enjoying.  I currently have DirecTV, but I'm thinking of switching to Xfinity.  I can record 5 shows at once, while watching live TV, with DirecTV, and I know they put up a 4K satellite this year.

Is Xfinity going to flip the switch for 4K broadcasts or not?  I am interested in the Xi5 receiver I've heard about that will bring HDR to their 4K.  When?  WHen?  WHEn?  WHEN?

Nothing's been announced and right now there's only a Sampler app available on select Samsung 2014 models and 2015 models

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: So, what's the latest on 4K broadcasts?

I have three thoughts here. First of all it is fairly safe to say that DirecTV's picture quality is better than X1. Second DirecTV will probably always be ahead of Comcast on new features such as 4K UHD. Third, I suggest you research this forum and learn more about the strengths and weaknesses of X1. Most people who have had both X1 and DirecTV will tell you the Genie is a vastly superior DVR.

My best buddy is a highly trained (and talented) audio video installer and also a certified ISF TV calibrator. He moved from DirecTV to X1 about 1.5 years ago, primarily to save $$$.

He can't wait to go back to DirecTV... 

I happen to like X1. I have adapted to its weaknesses. But the only thing that has stopped my gf and I from switching to DirecTV is the fact that the dish would need to be mounted on the front of our house. It would be highly visible and nearly impossible to conceal.

dvbell wrote: