Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,873,376

members

1,023

online

28,950

topics

Top

4K Broadcasts??

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

4K Broadcasts??

I have a new Samsung UHD television with 4K resolution.  When will Xfinity begin to broadcast movies and shows in the 4K format?  I am aware that Direct TV is already offering 4K programs.

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

The members of this forum do not know. Comcast has not announced anything "official" that has made any sense. None of the current X1 boxes are 4K capable.

However I suggest you type "4K" into the forum search box. You will find plenty of reading material. Information on your question is not hard to find.

FYI, Netflix and Amazon stream 4K as well...



devaraj wrote:

I have a new Samsung UHD television with 4K resolution.  When will Xfinity begin to broadcast movies and shows in the 4K format?  I am aware that Direct TV is already offering 4K programs.










Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Can someone explain to me how I can get 4k content from my X1 DVR?  I thought Comcast just passed through whatever they got from the broadcasters like Showtime, NBC, ESPN, etc.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


RobertWy wrote:

Can someone explain to me how I can get 4k content from my X1 DVR?  I thought Comcast just passed through whatever they got from the broadcasters like Showtime, NBC, ESPN, etc.


Those networks aren't currently delivering any content in 4K (to any provider).  


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


devaraj wrote:

I have a new Samsung UHD television with 4K resolution.  When will Xfinity begin to broadcast movies and shows in the 4K format?  I am aware that Direct TV is already offering 4K programs.


There is 4K content available now on your Samsung 4K TV set via our UHD 4K Sampler app.

 

Details at the links below:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/Ultra-High-Definition-Sampler-App-Now-Available-on-Select-LG/...

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/

 

 


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


ComcastTeds wrote:

devaraj wrote:

I have a new Samsung UHD television with 4K resolution.  When will Xfinity begin to broadcast movies and shows in the 4K format?  I am aware that Direct TV is already offering 4K programs.


There is 4K content available now on your Samsung 4K TV set via our  UHD 4K Sampler app that should be available on your TV set.

 

Details at the links below:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/Ultra-High-Definition-Sampler-App-Now-Available-on-Select-LG/...

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/

 

 


I was aware of the sampler app, which doesn't work with my older non-4K Samsung TV. 

 

My point is, it seems to me I should wait until Comcast has an X1 box that can deliver 4K content, there is no need for me to buy a 4K TV.

 

And I am curious to know when premium and broadcast channels will start broadcasting in 4K.

 

It would seem there is a cart/horse situation here.  What need is there for a 4K Comcast STB until Comcast starts receiveing 4K content from its providers?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


RobertWy wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

devaraj wrote:

I have a new Samsung UHD television with 4K resolution.  When will Xfinity begin to broadcast movies and shows in the 4K format?  I am aware that Direct TV is already offering 4K programs.


There is 4K content available now on your Samsung 4K TV set via our  UHD 4K Sampler app that should be available on your TV set.

 

Details at the links below:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/Ultra-High-Definition-Sampler-App-Now-Available-on-Select-LG/...

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv/

 

 


I was aware of the sampler app, which doesn't work with my older non-4K Samsung TV. 

 

My point is, it seems to me I should wait until Comcast has an X1 box that can deliver 4K content, there is no need for me to buy a 4K TV.

 

And I am curious to know when premium and broadcast channels will start broadcasting in 4K.

 

It would seem there is a cart/horse situation here.  What need is there for a 4K Comcast STB until Comcast starts receiveing 4K content from its providers?


My response regarding the sampler app was for the OP. 

 

I also am curious to see when premium and broadcast channels begin regular delivery of 4K.

 

Most 4K content delivered now is On Demand.

 

And the old adage "if we build it, they will come" may apply.  

 

Agreed, it is a bit horse/cart and both are expensive items (manufacturing and purchasing hardware for 4K production and delivery on the network side and also procuring cable boxes that specifically support 4K).

 

We have a roadmap on the Comcast side to deliver a 4K capable set top box more widely this year    

 

 


Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Not to be negative but the 4K UHD Sampler app has very little content. Three TV series and Olympic highlights. No movies and nothing is real time. It's only real value is showing off your 4K/HDR TV to friends and family (which I have done).

Also the app is buggy. On the series Outlander (and Superstore when it was on the app) the picture broke up often and the audio was often wildly out of sync. Personally I would like to see Superstore returned to the app. I enjoyed watching it in 4K.

I think we all know that Netflix and Amazon Prime stream 4K. But I have found two huge differences between Netflix and Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime charges extra for most if not all of their 4K content and it is not easy to find.

Access to 4K contact on Netflix is $4 per month extra but there is quite a bit of 4K content in that price and 4K content is easy to find on Netflix.

I took a quick look at Vudu. Their 4K content is primarily movies. It looked expensive.

Thinking that I plan to watch a fair amount of 4K content on Netflix, I decided to buy a Roku 4. It has great picture and sound quality. It is also the fastest streaming device I have used.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Robert,

Two thoughts for you:

1. When it comes to consumer electronics, it's always been "cart before the horse". That's nothing new.

2. There is a common misconception out there and that is there is no benefit to a 4K TV without 4K content. That is simply not correct. A 4K TV has to "upscale" the image. If a 4K TV didn't upscale the image, the picture would only fill a portion of the screen. The process of upscaling gives the manufacturers the opportunity to do additional picture processing. 4K TVs have a sharper picture on ANY CONTENT not just 4K content. I wish people could see what Game of Thrones looks like on my new 4K LG OLED. It would remove any question about the value of upscaling.

Another benefit of 4K is it allows people to sit comfortably closer to larger TVs than people would have previously considered possible. I sit 8.5 feet from a 65" TV and I find it to be very comfortable.

If someone is on the market for a new TV, I see no reason not buy a 4K/HDR TV. Would I go out and buy a new TV just to get 4K? Well, I just did...
Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Ted's,

I know you can't speak in detail about the "road map" you just mentioned. But one of my concerns about X1 and 4K is the rumors we have heard suggest that upcoming X1 boxes with 4K will be Xi boxes. I have not seen any rumors about a 4K XG DVR. If the first X1 boxes are going to be Xi boxes, that would suggest recordings won't 4K unless X1 goes to fully cloud DVR.
Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


RickGr4 wrote:
Robert,

Two thoughts for you:

1. When it comes to consumer electronics, it's always been "cart before the horse". That's nothing new.

2. There is a common misconception out there and that is there is no benefit to a 4K TV without 4K content. That is simply not correct. A 4K TV has to "upscale" the image. If a 4K TV didn't upscale the image, the picture would only fill a portion of the screen. The process of upscaling gives the manufacturers the opportunity to do additional picture processing. 4K TVs have a sharper picture on ANY CONTENT not just 4K content. I wish people could see what Game of Thrones looks like on my new 4K LG OLED. It would remove any question about the value of upscaling.

Another benefit of 4K is it allows people to sit comfortably closer to larger TVs than people would have previously considered possible. I sit 8.5 feet from a 65" TV and I find it to be very comfortable.

If someone is on the market for a new TV, I see no reason not buy a 4K/HDR TV. Would I go out and buy a new TV just to get 4K? Well, I just did...

Good points.  No reason to NOT buy 4k if you are in the market for a new TV.  I will now wait for my Samsung's picture to deteriorate before I repace it.  I have setled on OLED when I do.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Robert,

I have now had my OLED for about six weeks. It is on another level. Take the best attributes of LED, the best attributes of plasma and add them together. The result is OLED. The value of absolute real blacks cannot be underestimated.
Regular Contributor

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Aren't the Xi boxes clients (that talk to the main ST?  What about those folks who have only 1 TV?  Are they supposed to have an X1 AND an Xi6?  Or will there be an update to the X1 box that will allow it to do 4K?  Or will there be an X3 that will do 4K and HDR?

 

Really, the only thing that has been said about 4K STBs is about the Xi6.


RickGr4 wrote:
Ted's,

I know you can't speak in detail about the "road map" you just mentioned. But one of my concerns about X1 and 4K is the rumors we have heard suggest that upcoming X1 boxes with 4K will be Xi boxes. I have not seen any rumors about a 4K XG DVR. If the first X1 boxes are going to be Xi boxes, that would suggest recordings won't 4K unless X1 goes to fully cloud DVR.

 


CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


egnlsn wrote:

Aren't the Xi boxes clients (that talk to the main ST?  What about those folks who have only 1 TV?  Are they supposed to have an X1 AND an Xi6?  Or will there be an update to the X1 box that will allow it to do 4K?  Or will there be an X3 that will do 4K and HDR?

 

Really, the only thing that has been said about 4K STBs is about the Xi6.


RickGr4 wrote:
Ted's,

I know you can't speak in detail about the "road map" you just mentioned. But one of my concerns about X1 and 4K is the rumors we have heard suggest that upcoming X1 boxes with 4K will be Xi boxes. I have not seen any rumors about a 4K XG DVR. If the first X1 boxes are going to be Xi boxes, that would suggest recordings won't 4K unless X1 goes to fully cloud DVR.

 


I can't picture a setup that would require a DVR.  I have no way to know the Xi6 specs but it could be IP-based which would preclude the need for a DVR.

 

My guess is that Comcast's roadmap is all IP-based.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

might be first move to a cloud DVR 'only'?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: 4K Broadcasts??


Rustyben wrote:

might be first move to a cloud DVR 'only'?


That is one possible scenario.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

A wiring diagram I saw has the comcast feed going into a 2-way splitter, with one leg going to the cable modem and the other leg going into an XB3 (MoCA-Ethernet bridge), which then plugs into your LAN.  The box then connects to your LAN, whether wired or wirelessly.

 

Now, I do have to say this was for an Xi5, but it seems to me that the main difference between the Xi5 and the Xi6 is HDR vs 4K.


CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

X1 is not going to replace your box. They have the box but will not be released to the public until after they have fixed everything. They already have 3 but not to the public. Even beta testers are not getting them.
Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K Broadcasts??

Do you care to qoute your sources of this information and provide more details?



houguy2013 wrote:
X1 is not going to replace your box. They have the box but will not be released to the public until after they have fixed everything. They already have 3 but not to the public. Even beta testers are not getting them.




Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9719 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation